***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,637 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
White has to go before Kemp after Diaz comes back, riiiiight?
titanmaster_race
Please Luhnow. Please get rid of Tyler White.
Ag12thman
AG
The guy really needs to do some aerobics and drop a few pounds. Seems like you'd pay a little attention to this if you need to be quick around the bases.
n_touch
Something has to be wrong. I mean I love food, but if my job depended on me dropping a couple of pounds while I was making well into 6 figures a year, and had access to state of the art equipment it seems it would not be to hard.
Synopsis
[Wrong thread. This is your only warning edit. -Staff]
Farmer1906
AG

[Please don't quote posts that don't belong on the thread and just flag them. Thank you. -Staff]
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Ban Cow Gas said:

Serious question, does anybody know a real Ranger's fan (At least knowing who Pudge is)? I grew up in Houston and the ones that rooted for them during their World Series runs magically became Stros fans.

I know like three.

All of my roommates and friends from A&M were from Dallas. So yes
ChAg1799
AG
[Do not post in that manner on any board on this site. -Staff]
Ags #1
AG
What's the latest on Diaz and correa
Farmer1906
AG
They died. Rip.
Ag_07
AG
Ags #1 said:

What's the latest on Diaz and correa

Hinch said yesterday they'll go on rehab assignments next week and should be activated by the end of the month.
Frok
AG
Haha
Marvin
AG
JABQ04 said:

Well folks, I'm tuning out. Wife's c-section is scheduled for tomorrow but........I guess we're headed to the hospital now.

All good with the family this morning?

I don't know why I think he's reading TexAgs, but admit it- most of us would find the time even during childbirth.
BassCowboy33
Ban Cow Gas said:

Serious question, does anybody know a real Ranger's fan (At least knowing who Pudge is)? I grew up in Houston and the ones that rooted for them during their World Series runs magically became Stros fans.

I know like three.
Sports journalist guy here. Rangers fans are everywhere outside of the Houston area. DFW (obviously), Austin, SA, East Texas, and West Texas are all slanted towards the Rangers. They have an enormous Hispanic following similar to the Cowboys. The Astros get more national coverage because they're the better team, but popularity within the state is a different issue.

On your second point, a case can be made that more Rangers fans know Ivan Rodriguez, Gonzalez, and Greer than know the current crop of Andrus, Mazara, and Gallo.
BullSprig07
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Sports journalist guy here. Rangers fans are everywhere outside of the Houston area. DFW (obviously), Austin, SA, East Texas, and West Texas are all slanted towards the Rangers. They have an enormous Hispanic following similar to the Cowboys. The Astros get more national coverage because they're the better team, but popularity within the state is a different issue.

Seems like the only stronghold outside of the immediate Houston area the Astros have a following is SW Louisiana.
BassCowboy33
Water Turkey07 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Seems like the only stronghold outside of the immediate Houston area the Astros have a following is SW Louisiana.

I mean, Houston fans are everywhere. They just aren't as numerous. I'd love for someone to write their doctorate on sports loyalties and geography.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

The whole move off of FSSW to Comcast to ROOT/AT&T Sportsnet hurt the Austin/SA/East Texas viewership. Cable/IPTV/etc. systems still get the stRangers, but the casual fan can't easily flip on the 'Stros unless they have DirectTV or AT&T Uverse.

Austin had more of a an Astros lean years ago when the Express were the AA affiliate. At least they're back to the Astros (AAA), but again, you can't find them on the frikkin' tv...

(And yes, I use the Reddit streams--but the casual fan, sports bar, etc. won't.)
BMX Bandit
if you go by tickets bought, Rangers have top half of state, Astros bottom. not a surprise.

https://seatgeek.com/tba/articles/where-do-mlb-fans-live-mapping-baseball-fandom-across-the-u-s/
jetch17
AG
After seeing Seth Beer out in midland last night, bring him up for fatty
CSWendt
New thought: can Kyle Tucker learn how to play 1st base? That would give him a better path the the big leagues this year.
Ag_07
AG
In the next 1-2 weeks we're gonna need to make room for Joe Smith (probably this weekend), Brad Peacock (this weekend), Correa (next couple weeks), and Diaz (next couple weeks).

With that said I doubt they're trying to make room for Seth Beer and Kyle Tucker. Barring another run on injuries (God forbid) I think they'll have to wait until we September...That is if they're still in this organization.
Andyzipp
AG
CSWendt said:

New thought: can Kyle Tucker learn how to play 1st base? That would give him a better path the the big leagues this year.
He's played a few innings at 1b for Round Rock the last week or so, so it's an option. And I guess if they can turn Miles Straw into a SS, they can turn Kyle Tucker into a 1b.

Key here is going to be Tucker's attitude. The org thinks he's pouting over Alvarez passing him up.
Farmer1906
AG
Who in the org thinks that?
KC_Ag14
AG
Will be interested to see if White is just DFA. Was thinking that was just a no-brainer until they did the same with Reed. Wonder if that just made room for a White demotion to AAA? Once Correa and Diaz are back, there's really just no room for him. Jake, Straw or Fisher could just as easily hit barely over the Mendoza line while providing speed on the bases and defense.
n_touch
Pout all you want. He hit the ball you didn't. Its simple, if he can't get past that then trade him cause he will never get better. I expect my dog to pout when she doesn't get a cookie not my baseball players.
n_touch
White can not be DFA, no more options.
KC_Ag14
AG
Ah, good to know. Thanks!
E
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This. I haven't seen any reports of this.
Andyzipp
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Came from a source at Round Rock. He's been right most of the time with what he's told me, but sometimes he's off.

It's probably nothing more than a lack of maturity (Tucker is still only 22), but I get it from the player's perspective. He didn't do well last season with the Astros (in a limited opportunity), and this season, even with a lot of shuffling, has seen Alvarez, Fisher, and Straw called up before him.

Farmer1906
AG
I get the reasoning, but I just don't recall seeing it reported anywhere.

Btw he batted 3rd in the Triple A all star game and went 1-3 with a double.
Andyzipp
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I get the reasoning, but I just don't recall seeing it reported anywhere.

Btw he batted 3rd in the Triple A all star game and went 1-3 with a double.
I used to have a few sources in the Astros org when I was credentialed with Astrosconnection.com and Orangewhoopass.com. A couple are still working in baseball, so when I hear anything (rarely) I'll share.

FWIW, I don't think Luhnow is down on him. Just a thing to work on.
Ag_07
AG
I have read nothing as it pertains to him vs Alvarez but Tucker's maturity in general has come into question before.
tjack16
AG
n_touch said:

White can not be DFA, no more options.

So we'd lose him? Oh darn....
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Austin proper is full on Astros country right now, but I imagine that changes based on whose winning or is predicted to win.

When we lived in Dallas, people cared about the Rangers are opening day, the playoffs and that was it. The rest of the Metroplex through Oklahoma and West Texas is Rangers.
n_touch
Im sure we could just check all the BW3 for him and find him pretty quick
First Page Last Page
Page 559 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.