***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,932 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The call up won't be Yordan
Harry Dunne
I'm ready to see Tucker get another chance. Good timing, now while he's hot. Also no danger of him hurting himself diving for balls.
Farmer1906
AG

Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

I'm ready to see Tucker get another chance. Good timing, now while he's hot. Also no danger of him hurting himself diving for balls.

Farmer paid how much for this endorsement?
Farmer1906
AG
I think TED still needs another week to meet some silly rule about control. Well probably bring up Straw.
AstroAggie15
AG
Anyone who hates on springer for playing hard is a ****ing *****

Dude wants to give 100% on every play. Respect that.
astros4545
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think TED still needs another week to meet some silly rule about control. Well probably bring up Straw.

I thought the clock was already started once you bring a player up the first time?

astros4545
AG
bearkatag15
AG
Ag_07
AG
astros4545 said:

He's a bigger moron that I thought if A) he's still with Boras or B) he's even considering the Angels.

That would be a very Angels thing to do. Sign an expensive probably ineffective pitcher to pitch half a year on a team that isn't doing shlt.
Frok
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This would piss me off if I was a player. All the focus on free agency and they seem to miss that this is the area where they get screwed.
Beat40
Frok said:

bearkatag15 said:

This would piss me off if I was a player. All the focus on free agency and they seem to miss that this is the area where they get screwed.

I think they realize this, and I think this will be one of the biggest fights in the new CBA. If there is a strike, I think a lot of it will be centered around this. They definitely want to get to money earlier in their career.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Not Straw. Straw is at least Interesting. Fisher is a poor mans Jake.

sts7049
AG
calling up Fisher is a clear sign service time is a consideration
Harry Dunne
AstroAggie15 said:

Anyone who hates on springer for playing hard is a ****ing *****

Dude wants to give 100% on every play. Respect that.
No one is hating on him. Its the same as not wanting a mobile QB to run as much. It's about what's smart and best, and sometimes balls to the wall is neither.
Harry Dunne
Marvin said:

Harry Dunne said:

Farmer paid how much for this endorsement?
That's funny.

Tucker looks like Jar Jar Binks and I hate his stupid nickname and thought he looked totally overwhelmed at the plate last year...but the guy is mashing and the fact that Luhnow didn't trade him for Realmuto means he believes in him, and i never bet against Luhnow.
redline248
AG
There was a follow up tweet that said "I was told not to read into it."

Also, Dallas not being signed is 100% his own doing. He even said Boras has brought him multiple offers to which Dallas said no.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Beat40
I think I the nickname thing totally set you a bit against him from the beginning.

He did look overwhelmed though. I still think giving a kid spot at-bats doesn't really help him when he's trying to adjust.
W
AG
Fisher...what?

wow, it's all about the service time
iBrad
AG
Why would you start the clock on guys that you don't need right now? This is still a business and the strategy is still to win for as long as possible. The rules are what they are. I can't fault teams for doing what's best for their organization.
Farmer1906
AG
iBrad said:

Why would you start the clock on guys that you don't need right now? This is still a business and the strategy is still to win for as long as possible. The rules are what they are. I can't fault teams for doing what's best for their organization.

Wait a week and bring him up.

Don't wait 6 weeks. We need to break him in before he's needed in the postseason.
Bregxit
AG
Beat40 said:

Frok said:

bearkatag15 said:

I think they realize this, and I think this will be one of the biggest fights in the new CBA. If there is a strike, I think a lot of it will be centered around this. They definitely want to get to money earlier in their career. baseball will die.
W
AG
George has only crossed the 140 games-played mark once in his career. (2016)

in jeopardy now of not going past 140 again.

that may impact the $$ value of his extension
Buck Compton
AG
How do some of you not get that it's not the best thing for Tucker either.... once George comes back, he just gets demoted again.

And yes, service time is an issue. June 2nd is in 8 days.... for an extra year of control. You always wait, I don't care if it's the reincarnation of Babe Ruth himself down there.
Frok
AG
Derek Fisher, lol.
Frok
AG
Buck Compton said:

How do some of you not get that it's not the best thing for Tucker either.... once George comes back, he just gets demoted again.

And yes, service time is an issue. June 2nd is in 8 days.... for an extra year of control. You always wait, I don't care if it's the reincarnation of Babe Ruth himself down there.

I watch baseball for entertainment. I want to see the best players, not the cheapest.
n_touch
You are seeing the best budget players that we have
TREX01
The season won't be won or lost in 8 days. Service time is the right call. It's Lunhows job to control these guys for as long as possible in an effort to continue to put the best team on the field year after year.

Can't imagine the crying we would see on this board several years down the road if we gave up an extra year of control with either Tucker or Alvarez for 15-20 at bats. Service time also factors into trade value. You burn that year and it's less of a bargaining chip moving forward.
Harry Dunne
Frok said:

Buck Compton said:

I watch baseball for entertainment. I want to see the best players, not the cheapest.
I'd rather see Tucker (or Yordan), but I understand why it's smart to wait. I also watch baseball for entertainment, and was not entertained when we were losing 100+ per year, so I'd like to do the smart thing and continue to enjoy watching championship level baseball for a while.

As far as Fisher, I think he can be a valuable major leaguer. I doubt he's quite the fielder Jake is, but I think he can be solid out there and can eventually be more valuable offensively and on the basepaths. I love Jake, and what a hell of a game-saving catch last night and on many other occasions, but he will be a free agent at the end of next year and the smart move will be to say thanks for the memories and let someone else pay him $5M per year while we slide Fisher in there and pay him the league min.

I don't think anyone is expecting Fisher to be the white Kenny Lofton, but this is a good opportunity to see if he can be the next Jake Marisnick (or better).

JD Davis is putting up very respectable numbers playing 3b/LF and hitting in the middle of the order for NYM (.282/.354/.462 & .815 OPS). Some guys just need several opportunities.
redline248
AG
I know things are hard to predict, but how much better at the plate do you think Fisher can be than Jake? So far, Jake is having the best year of his career and could be entering his prime. So, the production from Fisher would have to be pretty good if the defensive drop off is significant, in my opinion.

Although, if you're talking about in 2 years there is a chance neither of them are around b/c someone better comes along.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Bregxit
AG
dshedd14 said:

Told my wife about this and the following was said...

Me: Check this out...Reddick did a gender reveal for a fan with the dust balls like he did!

Wife: Wow! That's almost enough to make me want to have another baby if Reddick is involved!

Me: Haha yeah that would be awe..... wait what?!
n_touch

Quote:

That's almost enough to make me want to have another baby if Reddick is involved!
To be fair she never said what part she wanted him involved
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
First Page Last Page
Page 261 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.