***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,320 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redline248 said:

I know things are hard to predict, but how much better at the plate do you think Fisher can be than Jake? So far, Jake is having the best year of his career and could be entering his prime. So, the production from Fisher would have to be pretty good if the defensive drop off is significant, in my opinion.

Although, if you're talking about in 2 years there is a chance neither of them are around b/c someone better comes along.
Impossible to predict. Fisher is a better minor league hitter than Jake ever was, but it's different times and different leagues and that stuff hardly ever translates directly to the majors anyway.

I think we know what Jake is and is going to be, which is a very valuable role player, but not a good enough hitter to be a regular. He's doing great right now, but no one wants to go into the playoffs with Marisnick as one of our top 3 OF, and I doubt that will ever change. Fisher is more of an unknown. A couple of years ago it was the org's unanimous opinion that he had a higher ceiling than Ramon Laureano...but he could also end up being a AAAA player.

Let's say that Fisher becomes a slightly better hitter than Jake and a good but not Jake level defensive OF. Cameron Maybin in his prime was making $7M per year. Someone out there is going to overspend on Jake like they did on Marwin and we are far better off going with cheaper options and spending our money to keep our stars.

Everyone wants every call up to be the next Jeff Bagwell, but not everyone that gets called up is destined to be a star. We need role players and role players need reps too. This is as good of a situation as any to see if Fisher is worth keeping around or if we need to clear the path for others.

dshedd41
S
For those going to the game (myself included) tonight ;
http://astrosroof.mlblogs.com/
Gig’em Aggies!
Mr.Bond
AG
Roof was open earlier today..... Which means it's gonna be hot as **** inside tonight..... At least in the upper deck
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

bearkatag15
AG

Interesting lineup
Mathguy64
AG
If by interesting you mean butt ugly, then yes. And with as slow as Price works it will take forever. Ugh.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
bearkatag15
AG

Finally

Does sound like It'll be as long as what most of us were thinking. Let's hope it's only 3-4 weeks until he's back
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15
AG

Deluxe
AG
Now would be a good time for one of Tyler White's patented 10-12 day stretches where he puts the team on his back and carries them
JABQ04
AG
First game of the season for the family and I.
Gap
AG
I am really not understanding the call up of Derek Fisher. It seems that the decision has been made to play with much less than is necessary.
Bregxit
AG
Gap said:

I am really not understanding the call up of Derek Fisher. It seems that the decision has been made to play with much less than is necessary.

Because the difference between now and June 2 could be millions of dollars for the club.
Charlie Conway
n_touch said:

Quote:

That's almost enough to make me want to have another baby if Reddick is involved!
To be fair she never said what part she wanted him involved
never said she wanted dlance involved either
Mathguy64
AG
Let's go. TAKE. IT. BACK.

Pry it from their worthless hands.
Deluxe
AG
Gap said:

I think it's mostly because Jake is going to be getting most of Springer's ABs and whoever we added to the roster is going to do a lot of sitting on the bench. We want Tuck and Alv to be getting regular reps.
Mathguy64
AG
In the car and radio tonight. Brownie is covering for Sparks. Cool!
Mr.Bond
AG
"this is the first time these 2 teams have seen each other since last October...."

No dumbass.... It was 7 days ago
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Wabs
AG
Mr.Bond said:

"this is the first time these 2 teams have seen each other since last October...."

No dumbass.... It was 7 days ago

Yeah, when the Astros won the series in Boston....
Mr.Bond
AG
Price..... Uh oh

zgood10
AG
Ruh roh Price
Marvin
AG
Price out with injury.
Mathguy64
AG
Price out. That's huge.
Pahdz
Why did they start him or did it happen in the first two batters?
Mathguy64
AG
Well this game just got shorter by 30 minutes.
Post removed:
by user
Pahdz
It is in Minnesota
mwm
I'm thinking its going to take 2 guys to pick up the slack we gave up when Springer went down.
Post removed:
by user
Mr.Bond
AG
Quit being a cheap ass and get mlb TV

Post removed:
by user
texpdx
Braves / Cardinals here in Chicago.
Marvin
AG
Peacock near 40 pitches already. Might be a battle of bullpens.
Mathguy64
AG
Home field saved a run. MMP doing its job.
YellAg2004
AG
We'll call it even with Fenway's little league right field.
First Page Last Page
Page 262 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.