***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,611 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Off day topic of discussion...What are we looking at as far All Star representation?

Starters - Correa, Bregman, Springer, JV
Reserves - Brantley, Reddick, Pressly, Osuna
If Altuve comes back and is out of his funk...heck, he probably will get voted in on name recognition alone.
Farmer1906
AG
C - Sanchez, but Chirinos is probably deserving of the reserve spot.

1B - Pretty ugly here. I would give it to Yandy, but voters are more likely to give it up [url=https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2151&position=1B/3B/DH][/url]Encarnacion or Moreland (Sox block vote)

2B - Altuve may get it for popularity. He's not deserving. Career back up Tommy La Stella has been killing it with LAA.

3B - Breggy will most likely get it and is extremely deserving, but Hunter Dozier has been an absolute monster too.

SS - Polanco is most deserving, but Correa is not far off. I think CC gets voted in.

OF - On paper it should be Springer, Trout, & Brantley. I think George gets the votes and Brantley will end up being a reserve. Someone like Betts will have the fan votes over him.

DH - I hope White isn't even on the ballot. Dozier has had several games at DH. maybe get him a start here since 3rd is Bregman's. Vogelbach is a good selection here. JD too.

As far as pitchers JV, Osuna, and Pressly should all make it easily based on their performance thus far. Will Harris may be a wild card. He's been god enough, but gets forgotten about.

Position player wise we should have up to 6. I would guess 4 to 5. Another 3 to 4 pitchers. Low-7, High-10.
Farmer1906
AG
So looking at these stats, it reminded me of this article.

Quote:

Get ready to watch what may be best OF ever

They were so great, in fact, that they ranked as one of the best collections in history. That's fun enough, but let's also ask the far more interesting question: What do the 2019 Red Sox have to do to have the best outfield of all time?

It won't be easy. But it's not impossible, either. Here's what they're up against.

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/how-2019-red-sox-outfield-can-be-best-ever

bearkatag15
AG

Pretty significant promotion
irish pete ag06
AG
W said:

the Tigers are paying the price for terrible long-term big money contracts to old players.

Cabrera's deal is awful. The Jordan Zimmermann contract has been a disaster; and he's still owed $25 MM in both 2019 and 2020. Still paying JV and Prince a combined $14 MM this year. Finally got rid of the Victor Martinez contract last year and dumped Justin Upton's contract on the Angels.

general managing at its worst

But I would bet the sports writers hailed them every year for "going for it."
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Pretty significant promotion

Yordan may have some competition for 1B/DH in a couple years. I love our farm system.
bearkatag15
AG
spadilly
S
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Oppo taco
bearkatag15
AG
#2 tonight... it's not even fair anymore

gougler08
AG
We traded Josh Fields (who then ended up helping us win the World Series) for Alvarez...wow
astros4545
AG
I never even see this guy pull a home run

So much power
bearkatag15
AG
astros4545 said:

So much power

Here is is spray chart for the season. Kid hits it to all fields beautifully

AgDoc03
AG
bearkatag15 said:

astros4545 said:

So much power

Here is is spray chart for the season. Kid hits it to all fields beautifully

No triples? Definitely not big league ready
/texags Astros thread
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearkatag15
AG
2 RBI double for Alvarez. 3-5 tonight. Avg up to .410 and OPS up to 1.400
Diyala Nick
AG
Yordan Alvarez is like a Nintendo game. I realize the Astros offense is lights out, but how do you not call him up?
shano0603
AG
Farmer1906 said:

As far as pitchers JV, Osuna, and Pressly should all make it easily based on their performance thus far. Will Harris may be a wild card. He's been god enough, but gets forgotten about.
You had me until this... All-star teams typically have between 3 and 5 relief pitchers on the roster. Almost always closers. Obviously Osuna is deserving. Pressly should go as he's made the MLB his *****... But Harris is never going. It would be Osuna, Greene, Chapman, Hand and Pressly if 5 go.
MelvinUdall
Diyala Nick said:

Yordan Alvarez is like a Nintendo game. I realize the Astros offense is lights out, but how do you not call him up?

I agree to an extent about calling him up, however his swing is real long and I wonder how it translate to major league pitching. I see that swing and wonder how it translate to above average major league pitching, his swing is the opposite of a Bregman or Correa that is quick and short. I will gladly eat crow if my opinion on his swing is wrong.
AggiEE
At this point we have to DFA White and bring up Yordan.

I would give him a long leash too at DH to adjust to
MLB pitching. He's got the build, power, and swing of a legit slugger.

You don't want to wait too long since we want him effective in the playoffs. If he delivers our offense goes from one of the best of all time to GOAT.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
You don't lose white for nothing, hate to say it but unless he is traded he will ride the pine for a while with spot duty. Preferably you could trade him for a lottery pick pitcher with a high spin rate.
Ag_07
AG
We have a pretty good offense and will have the division wrapped up before June.

We don't HAVE to do anything.

I'd like them to but we're not in a situation where we have to call him up.
Frok
AG
The Astros don't HAVE to but I would like to see Alvarez get a chance while he AND the Astros lineup are red hot.

Agnzona
Interesting point. Tuckers swing is way to long and slow to IMHO.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

Farmer1906 said:

You had me until this... All-star teams typically have between 3 and 5 relief pitchers on the roster. Almost always closers. Obviously Osuna is deserving. Pressly should go as he's made the MLB his *****... But Harris is never going. It would be Osuna, Greene, Chapman, Hand and Pressly if 5 go.
I haven't paid much attention to how many or which RP make an All Star team. I can't say I care all that much. Pressly and Osuna are easily top 5. I'd say its fairly easy to make an argument for #1 and #2 so far. I just wanted to give Harris some love. He's pretty much hated on here and everyone thinks he sucks. He's had 15 appearances this year and gave up runs (2) in just 1 of them.
Harry Dunne
Pretty incredible performance by our OF so far.

Unfortunately for the ASG, there's not much of a chance that 2 of the 3 player-voted RP come from one team...and I would think the MLB selections would be mostly team representation fillers.
ClickClack
AG
Saw lots of Astros fans walking around Boston yesterday. Refreshing to see after representing up here by myself the last few months.
monarch
S
Anybody been to CC to watch the Hooks play? My wife and I have tickets to see them play vs either Amarillo or Midland, can't remember which. Any general thoughts? How about a good seafood restaurant and a good BBQ place or TexMex?
Peace for Ukraine!
AstroAggie15
AG
monarch said:

Anybody been to CC to watch the Hooks play? My wife and I have tickets to see them play vs either Amarillo or Midland, can't remember which. Any general thoughts? How about a good seafood restaurant and a good BBQ place or TexMex?

Water St Oyster Bar is always good. The Boiling Pot In Rockport is about as good as it gets as well.

Whataburger Field is awesome. Y'all are gonna have a blast.
fatdad84ag
AG
monarch said:

How about the original Whataburger!
fatdad84ag
AG
Went a couple of years ago. Loved the PA guy on a foul ball into the stands when there is a scramble for it, and he plays the "mine, mine, mine" from the seagulls of Finding Nemo. Also dude down the left field line that would throw a castnet at foul balls rolling towards the corner.
Post removed:
by user
Ags #1
AG
Harris is back to his 2016-2017 form. I know he had bad luck last year but the reason people hated on him LAST year was it seemed like every time he came in he gave up a run. I'm sure that is perception versus reality just stating why he was hated on last year. I dont think people had a whole lot of animosity towards him till last year but could be wrong on that.
astros4545
AG
He used to run it up at 94-95 mph

Now he runs 91, that's what I see as his issue and I'm hesitant to think he's back
Buck Compton
AG
It was also a few bad outings of inherited runners scored. I remember at least one bases loaded jam where he allowed them all to score.
Mr.Bond
AG
third coast.. said:

Speaking of minor league, going to a Charleston riverdogs game tonight.

Great venue. Citadel plays there as well
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

First Page Last Page
Page 219 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.