***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,216 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

I'm actually counting 38 IP

20 so far in 2019 and 18 in 2018

Sparky had him at 37 on the radio tonight
Mathguy64
AG
Fangraphs has him at 18 IP before tonight. So now 19 this season.
Ag_07
AG
Y'all really having this discussion?
irish pete ag06
AG
Will we ever lose again?
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

Y'all really having this discussion?
I'm just counting how many innings he's pitched this year.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Ultimate jinx coming up
bearkatag15
AG
This is literally mentioned every game he pitches in on both the radio and tv broadcasts as well as twitter. Mentioning it in this thread is hardly a jinx.
Mathguy64
AG
We rave at how this team has been hitting HRs. 83 so far. Baltimore has given up 89. When we play them look out.
W
AG
the 'stros are going to have some fun with the White Sox pitching staff next week at MMP. They're bad too --- 3rd highest OPS allowed behind the O's and Rangers
JABQ04
AG
Baseball gods are cruel. Last night we had practice for my 7 year olds coach pitch team. All the kids are smashing the ball. Coach says, man no one has struck out yet. Of course my kid is now up to bat and promptly strikes out during the simulated game. Later on they let one kid pitch at the end of practice since he's moving up to minors in LL. Kids grooving them in. Same coach says the boy looks good and hasn't hit a batter yet. Once again my son is up and takes a pitch to his arm. Baseball gods are real and can be vengeful
Kashchei
AG
I know I'll sound like a *****, but anyone else wary of the Sox this weekend? I hate their ****ing guts, but you have to respect the *spit* defending champs.
bearkatag15
AG
Kashchei said:

I know I'll sound like a *****, but anyone else wary of the Sox this weekend? I hate their ****ing guts, but you have to respect the *spit* defending champs.

We will be lucky to win 1 of the 3 games. They are firing on all cylinders offensively, even more so than Houston. Their pitching has been the big ?
bearkatag15
AG
Wrong emoji there.
JABQ04
AG
Good measure against who will we will likely play in the ALCS. Either way it will be a damn good series to watch
Teddy Perkins
AG
Pretty sure Rusty was referring to irish pete.
Deluxe
AG
The popcorn emoji is permanently associated with Farmer in my mind. I legit had to double take when I saw the popcorn emoji on your Red Sox take and realized it wasn't Farmer.
Harry Dunne
Good article on batting average, since we argue about it on here quite a bit. I think it does a good job explaining both its limitations and its merits.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26757283/is-300-hitter-thing-past
Deluxe
AG

This guy is awesome. I've enjoyed watching his commentary the past few days.
Teddy Perkins
AG
PSully97
AG
Deluxe said:

This guy is awesome. I've enjoyed watching his commentary the past few days.
W
AG
the Tigers are paying the price for terrible long-term big money contracts to old players.

Cabrera's deal is awful. The Jordan Zimmermann contract has been a disaster; and he's still owed $25 MM in both 2019 and 2020. Still paying JV and Prince a combined $14 MM this year. Finally got rid of the Victor Martinez contract last year and dumped Justin Upton's contract on the Angels.

general managing at its worst
Furlock Bones
AG
W said:

the Tigers are paying the price for terrible long-term big money contracts to old players.

Cabrera's deal is awful. The Jordan Zimmermann contract has been a disaster; and he's still owed $25 MM in both 2019 and 2020. Still paying JV and Prince a combined $14 MM this year. Finally got rid of the Victor Martinez contract last year and dumped Justin Upton's contract on the Angels.

general managing at its worst
we were in that exact situation for long time thanks to Uncle Drayton.
Frok
AG
I bet we have an aging star taking up room on our payroll 7-8 years from now. It's the price you pay for their prime years.

W
AG
just have to keep that to 1 or 2 players. Not 4 or 5.

Luhnow has done a great job so far by limiting contracts / extensions to 5 years. At this point Altuve's contract is the only one that looks a little risky on the back end. Time will tell
redline248
AG
That tiger fan was hilarious
Frok
AG
W said:

Luhnow has done a great job so far by limiting contracts / extensions to 5 years. At this point Altuve's contract is the only one that looks a little risky on the back end. Time will tell

Then you gotta let Correa & Springer go.

AgFan1999
AG
You gotta let one of the two go. My guess is Correa. Luhnow's done a good job of staggering contracts,
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

I'm willing to take a risk on ages 32-34. He should still be near his prime.

I'd give Correa the same thing. He wouldn't take it though.
redline248
AG
Can anyone access this article and give a quick synopsis? Maybe quote anything interesting? I ran out of free articles for the month

https://theathletic.com/973608/2019/05/16/george-springer-more-dh-designated-hitter-starts-houston-astros-teammates/
bearkatag15
AG
redline248 said:

Can anyone access this article and give a quick synopsis? Maybe quote anything interesting? I ran out of free articles for the month

https://theathletic.com/973608/2019/05/16/george-springer-more-dh-designated-hitter-starts-houston-astros-teammates/
There is a nice little dig at Tyler White calling him "Houston's home run-less primary DH." Article is obviously very well written.

Then it talks about how frequently Springer is DH this year. His next DH start will be his 10th so far this year which is more than all of last year. White has 16.

It talks about why Hinch rotates the DH spot around to everyone. Allows less wear and tear on the body, also he wants to keep the bench players (Kemp and Jake) engaged in the game so giving them spot starts does that.

Finally it talks numbers and how the DH spot for Houston has better production with this rotation style than in years past. Also Houston has the 3rd best OPS from the DH spot this year at .823

Houston's OPS from DH spot
2013 .613
2014 .809
2015 .753
2016 .677
2017 .665
2018 .750
2019 .823

redline248
AG
Thanks
monarch
S
Did Corbin Martin travel to Boston with the team? If so is he pitching this weekend?
Peace for Ukraine!
Bregxit
AG
monarch said:

Did Corbin Martin travel to Boston with the team? If so is he pitching this weekend?
Scheduled to pitch Saturday.

https://www.mlb.com/astros/roster/starting-lineups/2019-05-18
Farmer1906
AG

Former Astro.
Ag_07
AG
Off day topic of discussion...What are we looking at as far All Star representation?

Starters - Correa, Bregman, Springer, JV
Reserves - Brantley, Reddick, Pressly, Osuna
First Page Last Page
Page 218 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.