***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,100 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
agsalaska
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Max Scherzer played for the Ft Worth Cats.

Hated losing that.

Congrats to the Nats. **** Bryce Harper
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agdaddy04
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

I hate Hinch now. Hope he's gone tomorrow

Garbage take
AggiEE
lil99chris said:

The only reason to pull Greinke is if he told Hinch prior to heading out to the mound that he was running on fumes. He made one mistake on a hot hitter and he is pulled?!?!

There were too many missed opportunities with men on base. It was the story of the Astros at MMP in the World Series.

It sucks. I think Grienke is probably the smartest pitcher on the team.

But he won't challenge his manager.

If only Greinke had the balls of JV and told Hinch to sit his ****ing dumbass down, this game could have turned out differently
AustinAg2K
Ultimately the whole team played more like they expected to win rather than wanting to win. Too many terrible approaches at the plate, swigging at pitches two feet off the plate and watching them right down the middle. Virtually no situational hitting. Before Game 6, Hinch said he wasn't going to manage like it they had a game 7, but then it's in Brad Peacock as our first reliever.
He definitely didn't look too have the killer instinct.

The Nationals really seemed like they wanted it now. They seemed to approach every at Bay like it was their last, and really battled until they got the pitch they wanted. They have a lot of guys I would punch in the face, but they definitely seemed to want it more.
Liquid Wrench
Raining in a Houston now, as it should be:
CFTXAG10
AG
I had a great time talking baseball with all of you this season. Didn't end how we would've liked, but I'm grateful for it all.
Hendrix
AG
Why didn't cole see the mound in relief? If you pull Greinke it's to put Cole in and see if he can grind through 8 outs. Wow.
BCSGrubber
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Those are just my tears
agcat
AG
So, no Cole next year. Some of you who are just assuming we are going to be back in the playoffs again might be in for a rude awakening. I suspect Oakland is licking their chops.
Premium
AG
As the poster earlier said, glad I didn't drop thousands on these games. I was tempted for both last night and tonight and thank goodness I didn't...
The Beef01
AG
Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

I can't. Hinch ****ed us tonight.
No he didn't. Everyone just wants someone to blame.

How many World Series games are you going to win scoring two runs?

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

This was a 6-2 game that was managed into a loss that looks like a blowout.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.
Liquid Wrench
Btw, I love you all.

Hugs and tongue kisses for everyone.
Ag_07
AG
I'm reading this stuff and I'm baffled. Wanting Hinch gone?

How about the BP who couldn't get anyone out?

Just earlier today we all figured if we got 4 IP out of Greinke we'd be happy. Well he got 6.1 and he was pulled after a HR and a walk. You pull him while you still have the lead and not after he's coughed it up.

Harris had been an absolute stud all postseason and the pitch that was hit out was a good pitch. Still not sure how he hit out. If he gets through that inning with the lead then we see Cole.

Anything after that is a wash because the offense didn't score again so they've could've sat everyone down in order and we still lose by one.

Second guess Hinch I guess but to blame him for the loss is crazy and calling for his job is absolute idiocy and you should lose all credibility when it comes to discussing baseball matters.
Beat40
agcat said:

So, no Cole next year. Some of you who are just assuming we are going to be back in the playoffs again might be in for a rude awakening. I suspect Oakland is licking their chops.

We still have Grienke and get LMJ back next year.

The offense will not get drastically worse.

I also bet we add a SP in the offseason
Coach_Fran
Buck Compton said:

I really wish I could be a fly on the wall for Hinch's end of year performance review with Luhnow. As a senior member of the organization, he completely **** the bed.

It started with the unbelievable decision to try to bunt Chirinos early. Followed with his unforgivable quick hook on Greinke. Then the hook was to go to Harris, who already got lit the **** up last night. Then Osuna for almost half the pitch count Greinke had when he was pulled. No Cole. Crazy long leash on Smith. Urquidy way too late. Never pinch hit for Chirinos after truly awful ABs. Didn't pinch hit for Marisnick on his second AB, either.

Literally every decision went poorly.
Literally, huh?

His worst decision was the hard hits that went right to Nats players. Like Springer's rope to Soto with runners on 2nd and 3rd. ****in Hinch is terrible with runners in scoring position.

The stupidity in this thread is frightening.
agsquirrel97
AG
AggiEE said:

The management this game was completely awful, I honestly hope Hinch is gone next season
Hinch F'd up, bad. Stranding runners sucked, and I will have a really bad taste in my mouth over this with Hinch. I have a strongly worded post during the mound visit calling out the mistake, I blame him.

However, when he messed up pulling Urquidy and putting in Josh James in Game 4, he was the first to admit it post game. He was torn on what to do in the moment and immediately realized he F'd up, fortunately Harris saved him. I will take that non emotional hubris for the rest of his career. He panicked and maybe cost us a series tonight, but he is the right manager for this club and has my full support.

I will blame him for 8 hours and when I wake up tomorrow I will forgive him. He is smart, non emotional, accountable, analytically advanced, and a damn good leader.

George is the soul of this team
Altuve is the heart of this team
Brantley is a consummate professional
Bregman is a *****, I freaking hate him on any other team, but he needs to be our *****. Drop the bat and pads on home plate and amble down the line when they walk you, I hate it, keep doing it.
Yuli is the best first baseman in baseball for my money.
Yordan will give us more jump out of our seat moments then we can count
Correa has the biggest arm at SS and if healthy can actually contend for MVP again
Chirinos manages the Pitchers well, defends the plate nice and provides offense if he isn't overused and tired.
Tucker shows flashes, could do something big
Harris got over used in WS but was nails this year
Strom is a genius

I will go to sleep sad but wake up grateful for the 3 year run we have had, I have never had a more complete sports team that was "mine". True fan from childhood, watched many of these guys come up through the system, proud to be an Astro fan and will wear my hat tomorrow

See y'all in off season.
Aggie8587
AG
Hinch definitely managed the worst game of his life tonight. Misfired on every decision and non-decision. But I still think the biggest one is pitching to Soto with 2 outs and a base open. Righty-lefty matchup with Osuna (which we know Hinch hates), their best hitter who smelled blood... not only do we pitch to him, but we throw him a fastball over the plate in a hitter's count?!

3-2 felt like a big hole with the way we were hitting, but 4-2 felt insurmountable and killed almost all the energy left in the stadium.

I'll have to double check this, but I also think that caps off an entire season where we didn't win a SINGLE game in which we trailed going into the 9th inning... 107 regular season wins plus 10 playoff wins and not a single 9th inning comeback (did win 1 game where we went to extras and went down but came back to win). Has to be another "for the first time in history" stat.
Philip J Fry
AG
one thing J can say, I don't think Hinch ever trusted Greinke.

I hope for his sake we trade him to a contending NL team.

95% of the blame goes to George, Brantley, Tuve, Bregman, Correa, and Alvarez. Those guys couldn't string 3 hits together all post season. Tuve especially has no sense for when to work the count or when to be aggressive.

Chirinos not getting a bunt down was horrible, but our star players never picked him up.
AggiEE
Buck Compton said:

I really wish I could be a fly on the wall for Hinch's end of year performance review with Luhnow. As a senior member of the organization, he completely **** the bed.

It started with the unbelievable decision to try to bunt Chirinos early. Followed with his unforgivable quick hook on Greinke. Then the hook was to go to Harris, who already got lit the **** up last night. Then Osuna for almost half the pitch count Greinke had when he was pulled. No Cole. Crazy long leash on Smith. Urquidy way too late. Never pinch hit for Chirinos after truly awful ABs. Didn't pinch hit for Marisnick on his second AB, either.

Literally every decision went poorly.

Bring on the Robo Managers!

An algorithm could have done way better than AJ Hinched
bearkatag15
AG
So glad all the playoff fans will be gone soon...
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Coach_Fran
The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.
Harris had allowed 1 run all postseason. He was a stud. I don't blame him for pulling Greinke.

If Greinke had got tuned up in that inning, the same clowns would be screaming for Hinch to be fired for him pulling him.
pasquale
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Body By Fisher said:

Those are just my tears

God's tears
AggiEE
Tobias Funke said:

AggiEE said:

The management this game was completely awful, I honestly hope Hinch is gone next season

Coming from a rangers fan, this is pure unbridled idiocy. And everyone who starred it is an idiot too.

Coming from an Astros fan, **** off back to your minor league team thread
Ag_07
AG
You've had absolutely horrible takes all season and I see you've saved your best for last.
AGHouston11
AG
Body By Fisher said:

You never know.
But glad I didn't drop thousands to see that then be on the road driving back home right now after seeing the Nats including Soto celebrating in Minute Maid Park.

So that's my positive thoughts as I go to sleep
maca1028
I just unfollowed all of MLB's social media accounts so I don't have to see all the Nats celebration highlights. I'll pick them back up in a few weeks when hot stove starts.
AustinAg2K
The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
#hinched
Harry Dunne
Just got this in an email from Lids. Talk about kicking a man while he's down. Fight finished indeed.

Our stupid little hashtag motto next year should be #ControlTheEgos

pasquale
AG
Aggie8587 said:

Hinch definitely managed the worst game of his life tonight. Misfired on every decision and non-decision. But I still think the biggest one is pitching to Soto with 2 outs and a base open. Righty-lefty matchup with Osuna (which we know Hinch hates), their best hitter who smelled blood... not only do we pitch to him, but we throw him a fastball over the plate in a hitter's count?!

3-2 felt like a big hole with the way we were hitting, but 4-2 felt insurmountable and killed almost all the energy left in the stadium.

I'll have to double check this, but I also think that caps off an entire season where we didn't win a SINGLE game in which we trailed going into the 9th inning... 107 regular season wins plus 10 playoff wins and not a single 9th inning comeback (did win 1 game where we went to extras and went down but came back to win). Has to be another "for the first time in history" stat.

Hinch had a quick hook all post season
AggieLit
I've lurked on here for two years, regular season as well as post. Never posted before now because y'all know way more about baseball than me and I was mainly just reading to learn. But this thread got me through these playoffs, knowing there's a place where everyone is feeling like I'm feeling, good or bad (I don't live in Houston). So thank you.

This didn't feel like the 2017 team, which came back from a 4-0 deficit against Kershaw in Game 5. I can't recall any come-from-behind postseason wins this year off the top of my head. Maybe Game 2 vs. NY? Anyway, some years you have it and some years you don't. Hopefully we get it again with this group. But I'm willing to wait decades again for whenever we do.

Go Astros!
Philip J Fry
AG
Started last year when it seemed like we broke the record for most double plays in a season.

Premium
AG
agsquirrel97 said:

AggiEE said:

Hinch F'd up, bad. Stranding runners sucked, and I will have a really bad taste in my mouth over this with Hinch. I have a strongly worded post during the mound visit calling out the mistake, I blame him.

However, when he messed up pulling Urquidy and putting in Josh James in Game 4, he was the first to admit it post game. He was torn on what to do in the moment and immediately realized he F'd up, fortunately Harris saved him. I will take that non emotional hubris for the rest of his career. He panicked and maybe cost us a series tonight, but he is the right manager for this club and has my full support.

I will blame him for 8 hours and when I wake up tomorrow I will forgive him. He is smart, non emotional, accountable, analytically advanced, and a damn good leader.

George is the soul of this team
Altuve is the heart of this team
Brantley is a consummate professional
Bregman is a *****, I freaking hate him on any other team, but he needs to be our *****. Drop the bat and pads on home plate and amble down the line when they walk you, I hate it, keep doing it.
Yuli is the best first baseman in baseball for my money.
Yordan will give us more jump out of our seat moments then we can count
Correa has the biggest arm at SS and if healthy can actually contend for MVP again
Chirinos manages the Pitchers well, defends the plate nice and provides offense if he isn't overused and tired.
Tucker shows flashes, could do something big
Harris got over used in WS but was nails this year
Strom is a genius

I will go to sleep sad but wake up grateful for the 3 year run we have had, I have never had a more complete sports team that was "mine". True fan from childhood, watched many of these guys come up through the system, proud to be an Astro fan and will wear my hat tomorrow

See y'all in off season.

Denial, spotted
Coach_Fran
AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.
What's funny is that nearly every article on the Athletic was critical of Dave Martinez leading into Game 6. The storyline was that Hinch was playing to win and Martinez was playing it safe and trying not to lose after being up 2-0.

There's no consistency with most of those being critical of Hinch. There's just a bunch of emotional nonsense.
TexasRebel
AG
pasquale said:

A black guy named Howie, a Mexican named Dave and a white guy named Trea beat us. That kind of a season

Dave's not here, man.
First Page Last Page
Page 2114 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.