***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,455 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned that getting back to the playoffs isn't going to be as easy as some seem to think. The A's have already been giving us fits this and last seasons. We lose Cole to them and it could really make things more difficult.
The Milkman
AG
This is as good of a run of Astros baseball as well probably ever experience. Anything other than appreciating it is a crime. World Series win, ALCS, and World Series. What a three year span.

Thank you Stros for everything
Coach_Fran
AggieLit said:

I've lurked on here for two years, regular season as well as post. Never posted before now because y'all know way more about baseball than me and I was mainly just reading to learn. But this thread got me through these playoffs, knowing there's a place where everyone is feeling like I'm feeling, good or bad (I don't live in Houston). So thank you.

This didn't feel like the 2017 team, which came back from a 4-0 deficit against Kershaw in Game 5. I can't recall any come-from-behind postseason wins this year off the top of my head. Maybe Game 2 vs. NY? Anyway, some years you have it and some years you don't. Hopefully we get it again with this group. But I'm willing to wait decades again for whenever we do.

Go Astros!

bearkatag15
AG
Ag12thman said:

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned that getting back to the playoffs isn't going to be as easy as some seem to think. The A's have already been giving us fits this and last seasons. We lose Cole to them and it could really make things more difficult.
Cole isn't going to Oakland bro
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
PhatMack19
AG
1876er said:

AgsMyDude said:

Can't believe we gave up 4 prospects to get Greinke only to pull him after 1 bad pitch in G7 of the WS while he was dealing a gem.

I feel bad for him.

Greinke probably should have been given the chance to face another batter, but it wasn't just one bad pitch. He walked the next batter as well.

He meant to do that. If we would have walked him all series, we would be celebrating in the middle of the field right now and Buck wouldn't have **** to talk about.
Premium
AG
the last of the bohemians
Yep Hinch definitely didn't trust Greinke. End of story for how that inning played out. That's disappointing that a great pitcher had to have his World Series career shining moment undercut by an average coach. Let's see how long those two play nice next year.
bearkatag15
AG
Post more Lit. All are welcome.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
The Beef01
AG
Coach_Fran said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

I can't. Hinch ****ed us tonight.
No he didn't. Everyone just wants someone to blame.

How many World Series games are you going to win scoring two runs?

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

This was a 6-2 game that was managed into a loss that looks like a blowout.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.
Harris had allowed 1 run all postseason. He was a stud. I don't blame him for pulling Greinke.

If Greinke had got tuned up in that inning, the same clowns would be screaming for Hinch to be fired for him pulling him.
...and when did he give up that run?? Was that 24 hours after his manager said he needed the rest most from the off day? After tonight, would you simply say that 1 run was an anomaly or a sign of his condition?

Will Harris was nails this postseason, but he got you to this point and Hinch went to the whip when he absolutely should've known better.

I'm not saying Hinch is the jockey who fell off the horse...I'm saying he is the jockey who lost sight of the field down the stretch and whipped the horse and it inexplicably faded when it was a huge favorite.

In today's MLB...that's deeply concerning.
ccaggie05
AG
I gotta hand it to the Nats, they won 3 outta 4 against the top two pitchers in the AL. Soto has ice in his veins, and nobody how annoying his antics are, he balls. Rendon is an amazing hitter and a clutch fielder at 3rd. Whoever signs him is getting a star. The Nats did what it took to take 4 wins at our house, and so they deserve the trophy.

I hope the Astros players keep their heads up. They had a hell of a year and are part of a special 3 year run here that we will all remember for the rest of our lives. We just ran into a Nats team that has been nails since May and had our number in our house.
Big Al 1992
AG
Hinch said just today on MLB with Mad Dog Russo you may see some usual things you didn't see during the regular season. Even said you May see Osuna come in early. He was planning on it!!! Sure enough you see Osuna come in the 7th and give up base runners. Why why why?!!!
maca1028
Good take man!
jopatura
AG
AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.

I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.

I feel like this year in particular the organization went all, all in on the analytic stuff. Even more then the previous years. They lost all that intangible stuff that makes baseball what it is. Now that **** works in the regular season - we're going to clean up basically on every award out there and we broke every old world stat possible. But it doesn't let you win games very easily when you never follow the hot hand.

It really makes me miss the Willy Tavares scrappy type player who always seemed to be in the middle of something. We don't have that guy and it shows.
Aggie8587
AG
What does that have to do with having Osuna (righty) pitching to Soto (lefty and hot/elite hitter) with 2 outs and a base open?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
This game boils down to 2 things:

1) hinch too quick on the trigger with Greinke and leaving A bullet in the chamber with Cole.

2) our "superstar" players pulling down their pants and taking a huge dump on our collective faces instead of doing their ****ing job and hitting the ball.
Coach_Fran
The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

Harris had allowed 1 run all postseason. He was a stud. I don't blame him for pulling Greinke.

If Greinke had got tuned up in that inning, the same clowns would be screaming for Hinch to be fired for him pulling him.
...and when did he give up that run?? Was that 24 hours after his manager said he needed the rest most from the off day? After tonight, would you simply say that 1 run was an anomaly or a sign of his condition?

Will Harris was nails this postseason, but he got you to this point and Hinch went to the whip when he absolutely should've known better.

I'm not saying Hinch is the jockey who fell off the horse...I'm saying he is the jockey who lost sight of the field down the stretch and whipped the horse and it inexplicably faded when it was a huge favorite.

In today's MLB...that's deeply concerning.
You'd be a terrible poker player. The right decision isn't the right decision because it works out 100% of the time. You play the percentages and hope for the best. It was the right move going with Harris. You don't make nonsensical decisions for the **** of it.
DenverAg91
AG
For those of you that gamble:

Are the 2020 World Series odds based off what rosters the teams have right now at this moment.....or is it a projection?

The Astros are the current favorites to win it all next year,...and I wonder if it takes into account Gerrit Cole's decision
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
We got #hinched tonight. Managers go full ****** in the postseason and hinch is no different.
Big Al 1992
AG
Radio is saying Cole was pissed he did not go in and he was ready.
k20dub
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

We got #hinched tonight. Managers go full ****** in the postseason and hinch is no different.

Shut. The. Hell. Up.
TXAG14
Cole is over Houston quick.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Greinke pitches the ****ing game of his life and we pulled him 80 pitches. Great job hinch.
W
AG
looking ahead to 2020...

good news...the Mariners, Angels, and Rangers are going to be terrible again.

the A's are the competition within the division, but the Astros will still have the better lineup and starting rotation than Oakland (with or w/o Cole)
Coach_Fran
Nuke LaLoosh said:

******ed
AggiEE
Coach_Fran said:

AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.
What's funny is that nearly every article on the Athletic was critical of Dave Martinez leading into Game 6. The storyline was that Hinch was playing to win and Martinez was playing it safe and trying not to lose after being up 2-0.

There's no consistency with most of those being critical of Hinch. There's just a bunch of emotional nonsense.

Martinez was the difference this series when it counted the most

He let Strasburg roll by going 9 in G6

He pitched his two aces Scherzer and Corbin in G7

He lit a fire under his team's ass by getting thrown out when they needed it

AJ Hinch just quietly managed to neuter a team that has twice the talent of the Gnats.

This team should have won far more than 107 with how stacked we are, any other average manager could have done that. We have 3 CY Young starters and a murderer's row of a lineup. It's insane how much talent we have.
Ags #1
AG
Was odd he didnt throw the 7 or 8. Mad bum did it in 20140
Ags #1
AG
Please stop posting if you think we should have won far more than 107 games
tjack16
AG
Stuck in postgame traffic. It's raining, freezing cold

This sucks
Coach_Fran
AggiEE said:

Coach_Fran said:

AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

What's funny is that nearly every article on the Athletic was critical of Dave Martinez leading into Game 6. The storyline was that Hinch was playing to win and Martinez was playing it safe and trying not to lose after being up 2-0.

There's no consistency with most of those being critical of Hinch. There's just a bunch of emotional nonsense.

lol Martinez let Stras roll because his bullpen is ***** He didn't have any options. The Astros have a good bullpen.
W
AG
The Milkman said:

This is as good of a run of Astros baseball as well probably ever experience. Anything other than appreciating it is a crime. World Series win, ALCS, and World Series. What a three year span.

it's been a great run for the Astros the last 3 seasons no doubt.

how long will it continue? Probably depends on 3 players: Tucker, Whitley, and LMj --- if they continue to develop and progress into above average players...the 'stros will be back in the world series in the next 2 years
irish pete ag06
AG
AggiEE said:

Coach_Fran said:

AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:

anyone????

He lit a fire under his team's ass by getting thrown out when they needed it

AJ Hinch just quietly managed to neuter a team that has twice the talent of the Gnats.

This team should have won far more than 107 with how stacked we are, any other average manager could have done that

This has to be hyperbolic sarcasm, at least partially?

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Let's not forget that cy young badass Verlander has zero World Series wins. Team full of choke artists.
Ags #1
AG
Or we sign or trade foe a charlie fing morton
AggiEE
Ags #1 said:

Please stop posting if you think we should have won far more than 107 games

We should have beat the record set by the Mariners with a good/great manager rather than an average one
Coach_Fran
W said:

The Milkman said:

it's been a great run for the Astros the last 3 seasons no doubt.

how long will it continue? Probably depends on 3 players: Tucker, Whitley, and LMj --- if they continue to develop and progress into above average players...the 'stros will be back in the world series in the next 2 years
LMJ turning into a co-ace would be a game changer.
First Page Last Page
Page 2115 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.