***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,778,335 Views | 74451 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PSully97
the last of the bohemians
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How does the coach not realize the walk to Soto was not fatigue but strategy?
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach_Fran said:

AggiEE said:

Coach_Fran said:

AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:



I can't. Hinch ****ed us tonight.
No he didn't. Everyone just wants someone to blame.

How many World Series games are you going to win scoring two runs?

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

This was a 6-2 game that was managed into a loss that looks like a blowout.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.


I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.
What's funny is that nearly every article on the Athletic was critical of Dave Martinez leading into Game 6. The storyline was that Hinch was playing to win and Martinez was playing it safe and trying not to lose after being up 2-0.

There's no consistency with most of those being critical of Hinch. There's just a bunch of emotional nonsense.


Martinez was the difference this series when it counted the most

He let Strasburg roll by going 9 in G6

He pitched his two aces Scherzer and Corbin in G7

He lit a fire under his team's ass by getting thrown out when they needed it

AJ Hinch just quietly managed to neuter a team that has twice the talent of the Gnats.

This team should have won far more than 107 with how stacked we are, any other average manager could have done that
lol Martinez let Stras roll because his bullpen is ***** He didn't have any options. The Astros have a good bullpen.


Yes our bullpen did great tonight. Awesome take.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Man love his videos but the part 3 video here makes me very sad... every pitcher from the Tigers 2014 rotation has won a World Series now... none with the Tigers
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully hinch goes to the Mets as rumored.
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You said far more. So 10 more wins with all the injuries we had? No way
Coach_Fran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Coach_Fran said:

AggiEE said:

Coach_Fran said:

AustinAg2K said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:



I can't. Hinch ****ed us tonight.
No he didn't. Everyone just wants someone to blame.

How many World Series games are you going to win scoring two runs?

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

This was a 6-2 game that was managed into a loss that looks like a blowout.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.


I definitely don't think Hinch should be fired. I think he's one of the best mangers in the game, but I do think he seems to have lost that killer instinct he had in 2017. In 2017, he had no problem bringing in Lance McCullers instead of a reliever and letting him close it out. We were much more aggressive on the base path, too. We forced the issue. Last year, and more so this year, we were playing not to lose. I think that starts with the way AJ managed things in the playoffs. It bled down into the offense.
What's funny is that nearly every article on the Athletic was critical of Dave Martinez leading into Game 6. The storyline was that Hinch was playing to win and Martinez was playing it safe and trying not to lose after being up 2-0.

There's no consistency with most of those being critical of Hinch. There's just a bunch of emotional nonsense.


Martinez was the difference this series when it counted the most

He let Strasburg roll by going 9 in G6

He pitched his two aces Scherzer and Corbin in G7

He lit a fire under his team's ass by getting thrown out when they needed it

AJ Hinch just quietly managed to neuter a team that has twice the talent of the Gnats.

This team should have won far more than 107 with how stacked we are, any other average manager could have done that
lol Martinez let Stras roll because his bullpen is ***** He didn't have any options. The Astros have a good bullpen.


Yes our bullpen did great tonight. Awesome take.
The Astros bullpen isn't good because they pitched poorly tonight? Solid take. You should definitely manage things.
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the last of the bohemians said:

How does the coach not realize the walk to Soto was not fatigue but strategy?


It wasn't.
The walk came after a missed pitch was incorrectly called a ball.
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach_Fran said:

W said:

The Milkman said:

This is as good of a run of Astros baseball as well probably ever experience. Anything other than appreciating it is a crime. World Series win, ALCS, and World Series. What a three year span.

Thank you Stros for everything
it's been a great run for the Astros the last 3 seasons no doubt.

how long will it continue? Probably depends on 3 players: Tucker, Whitley, and LMj --- if they continue to develop and progress into above average players...the 'stros will be back in the world series in the next 2 years
LMJ turning into a co-ace would be a game changer.


He's a head case. Number 3 starter at best, assuming he stays healthy.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the Astros were only 8-8 in the playoffs beginning with Game 3 of the ALDS in Tampa.

it was really a struggle to reach Game 7 of the world series. Did not dominate or frankly play well for long stretches of the postseason
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man nuke and aggie ee need a breather. Did you have this hate in 2017? You want to fire the only manager who has ever got us a ws ring??
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just had to win 1 Mutha fuggin home game
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Coach_Fran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
W said:

the Astros were only 8-8 in the playoffs beginning with Game 3 of the ALDS in Tampa.

it was really a struggle to reach Game 7 of the world series. Did not dominate or frankly play well for long stretches of the postseason
Can't win many games when your ace has poor command and the bats go cold. It was a miracle they made it to game 7.
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W said:

the Astros were only 8-8 in the playoffs beginning with Game 3 of the ALDS in Tampa.

it was really a struggle to reach Game 7 of the world series. Did not dominate or frankly play well for long stretches of the postseason


Yep. Batted ball luck with RISP turned hard and cold on our ass. It was a miracle we made it to game looking at that alone.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "regulars" on this thread seem to be worst. You nerds have at it
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags #1 said:

Man nuke and aggie ee need a breather. Did you have this hate in 2017? You want to fire the only manager who has ever got us a ws ring??


Good riddance.
ccaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG14 said:

Cole is over Houston quick.




This makes me sad eventhough I've been convinced for a while he's gone.
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:




Maybe, just maybe when you have the best pitcher in the world, you use him. Just a thought.
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Ags #1 said:

Man nuke and aggie ee need a breather. Did you have this hate in 2017? You want to fire the only manager who has ever got us a ws ring??


Good riddance.


Sounds like a Cowboys fan.
Alex Bregman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That sucked.

Hope LMJ comes back healthy and more consistent. Let's find the next rehab guy to bring into the rotation and see what Urquidy can do for a full season. Also, starting with Yordan day 1 at DH and hopefully having a functional Correa should be interesting.
Coach_Fran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:


I think he was pissed that (1) he got yanked when he did in game 5 and obviously (2) that he didn't get into game 7.

Tough spot for both he and Hinch to be in because Cole is a guy that always thinks he's ready to get 3 more outs, even when he's not.
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure i follow
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearkatag15 said:




There's no way Hinch will recover from this. He has to go. Everyone knew he was mismanaging the game as it happened in real time. Ok, so you pull Greinke...you have to go to your Cy Young winner in relief. Harris is good, but he's not in the same league as Cole... how the **** did he not at least go to Cole to close it at the very least?

It's a terrible, devastating loss, I don't blame Cole for being upset
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now that the World Series is over and we lost, thanks to our shltty management and timely hitting, I can discuss this:

I know people That know people close to ownership and we aren't even gonna go after Cole. He's gone. It's a done deal that he will not be an Astro.

Just to add to the depression of the night... it's a done deal.
The Beef01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coach_Fran said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

The Beef01 said:

Coach_Fran said:

jopatura said:



I can't. Hinch ****ed us tonight.
No he didn't. Everyone just wants someone to blame.

How many World Series games are you going to win scoring two runs?

anyone????
It's ok, man...I get the defense of Hinch, but it's not throwing your lot in with the "FIRE HIM!" crowd if you acknowledge that Hinch had about as poor a night on the biggest stage as you could script.

This was a 6-2 game that was managed into a loss that looks like a blowout.

Consider that they had a 9-1 edge in hits entering the 7th inning....they ended-up getting outhit in 3 innings. In other words, the move that blew the game open absolutely killed the dugout and took the air out of the team.

Bad moves by a manager don't simply impact the game inside the bubble of that bad mistake.
Harris had allowed 1 run all postseason. He was a stud. I don't blame him for pulling Greinke.

If Greinke had got tuned up in that inning, the same clowns would be screaming for Hinch to be fired for him pulling him.
...and when did he give up that run?? Was that 24 hours after his manager said he needed the rest most from the off day? After tonight, would you simply say that 1 run was an anomaly or a sign of his condition?

Will Harris was nails this postseason, but he got you to this point and Hinch went to the whip when he absolutely should've known better.

I'm not saying Hinch is the jockey who fell off the horse...I'm saying he is the jockey who lost sight of the field down the stretch and whipped the horse and it inexplicably faded when it was a huge favorite.

In today's MLB...that's deeply concerning.
You'd be a terrible poker player. The right decision isn't the right decision because it works out 100% of the time. You play the percentages and hope for the best. It was the right move going with Harris. You don't make nonsensical decisions for the **** of it.
Think what you'd like, Hinch screwed this one up tonight...it's possible to hold that opinion and not think he should be fired.
Coach_Fran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

bearkatag15 said:




There's no way Hinch will recover from this. He had to go. Everyone knew he was mismanaging the game as it happened in real time

It's a terrible, devastating loss, I don't blame Cole for being upset
Hinch wasn't perfect but I don't put this loss on him. That's absurd.

But I do wonder if this experience will result in a change in approach by Hinch when it comes to playoff rotations.
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
easy to see why Cole is upset.

he wanted the ring so winning a championship would not be part of his free agency decision-making. He could just take the most money (a la Trout) and not care if his new team ever won the WS or even made the playoffs.

but now (if he still wants to win a title) he'll will have to be a little more selective. Has to try to find a contender
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Now that the World Series is over and we lost, thanks to our shltty management and timely hitting, I can discuss this:

I know people That know people close to ownership and we aren't even gonna go after Cole. He's gone. It's a done deal that he will not be an Astro.

Just to add to the depression of the night... it's a done deal.


Verified by multiple sources.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Now that the World Series is over and we lost, thanks to our shltty management and timely hitting, I can discuss this:

I know people That know people close to ownership and we aren't even gonna go after Cole. He's gone. It's a done deal that he will not be an Astro.

Just to add to the depression of the night... it's a done deal.
No one really believed they were going to offer him anything. It doesn't fit what they do
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep. I think there is no secret that he wants to leave and head to the West Coast.
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

Now that the World Series is over and we lost, thanks to our shltty management and timely hitting, I can discuss this:

I know people That know people close to ownership and we aren't even gonna go after Cole. He's gone. It's a done deal that he will not be an Astro.

Just to add to the depression of the night... it's a done deal.
So he was checked out in Game 1? See how easy that is
Coach_Fran
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Now that the World Series is over and we lost, thanks to our shltty management and timely hitting, I can discuss this:

I know people That know people close to ownership and we aren't even gonna go after Cole. He's gone. It's a done deal that he will not be an Astro.

Just to add to the depression of the night... it's a done deal.
You don't know anyone.

Josh Reddick said that Cole was going to the West Coast before this series even started.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow! That's some inside ****ing Intel you got there Nuke! How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone is upset after a loss, but that's a bad look for Cole. How about not ****ting the bed in game one, Gerritt? Then maybe we're not on this situation. He can be pissed for not pitching, but I've never seen pitchers score runs while on the mound.
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iBrad said:

Everyone is upset after a loss, but that's a bad look for Cole. How about not ****ting the bed in game one, Gerritt? Then maybe we're not on this situation. He can be pissed for not pitching, but I've never seen pitchers score runs while on the mound.