***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,702 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's gonna take a lot more than a fringe rosterable player with no defensive position and a lotto ticket prospect to get Stroman.

Maybe not a Tucker or Whitley type but a Corbin Martin/J.B. Bukauskas type and some decent mid-level prospects. Think about what we gave up for Cole and I think that's about what it would take to land Stroman.

Although it is TOR and they took Ken Giles off our hands so maybe you're not too far off.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP
Does that mean he will get better when the BABIP averages out?

Typically 30% of balls in play result in hits (or a BABIP of .300)

Anything too far under .300 is considered running into bad luck while anything way over .300 is considered getting lucky.

**At least that's how I've always looked at BABIP. Someone else who knows more may elaborate but I think that's the jist of it

BABIP isn't solely an indicator of luck. It Is a metric to sort good hitter from bad hitters. It's also used for pitchers to show how well the defense is turning balls in play into outs.

Luck is one of a few different factors into BABIP. The most proper way to look at it is by looking at a players career BABIP first, and then what they are doing in the current season.

Bearkat provided Bregman's: His BABIP in his first 3 seasons have been .317, .311 and .289. To this point in his career, he's shown to be an above average hitter.

Now you look a this year and his BABIP is .252. It's obviously an outlier in his career so far. It could be that much lower because of how defenses are playing him in combination with bad luck. So you could absolutely say he's had some bad luck this year, which he probably has. We also see defenses shifting him more as well.

The thought is Bregman might not get back to his career BABIP this year, but should trend to his career BABIP this year for the remainder of he season of being an above average hitter.

Farmer or Irish Pete can add more or correct me if I am wrong. That's just my understanding of the metric.
ChAg1799
AG
Cole is a far better pitcher than Stroman.... I hope it's not what we had to give up for Cole...
W
AG
the Astros will face Detroit's (18-20) #1 starter tonight --- Boyd.

3 earned runs is the most he's given up in any of his 8 starts.

only allowed 3 home runs in 50 innings
Buck Compton
AG
W said:

He's having a good year so far. He had a few good games (against NYY and CLE). His game against Boston was in a double-header.

He also has starts against LAA, TOR, KCR, and CWS. Hardly world-beaters.

That being said, he pitches efficiently and has pitched at least 6.0 IP in every start since his opener. My guess for tonight is 6 innings for him, 1-2 runs, then we score another 2-3 on their bullpen. I think we start sluggish on our first day on the road. Need Peacock to be sharp.
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

Cheerios has 3 career hits vs Boyd in 7 ABs. 2 of those hits were home runs.
Farmer1906
AG
CSWendt said:

I've always disagreed with the logic of BABIP being an indicator of luck. That would assume all guys hit the ball in play at the same velocity, launch angle, etc. We would expect players who hit the ball harder to typically have a higher BABIP, while players who hit it softly will have a lower BABIP. I've never really understood how we always expect it to be .300 if it weren't for luck.

BABIP Alone isn't the best way to determine luck. You'd need to combine it with how hard you hit it and where you're hitting it.

xwOBA does a good job at that. Tyler White is 53rd in the league in difference between expected weighted on base vs actual weighted in base. He's fairly lucky. Our luckiest players by far is Chirinos & Jake (3rd and 6th). So if we're buying stock for the next 3/4s of the season I'm selling all 3 and Brantley too. Not that i think Brantley will be bad, I don't think he can keep up his MVP level production.
bearkatag15
AG
DVC2010
AG
Really well said.
MelvinUdall
I know it has been said a lot on this thread, but count me in as someone that also believes the Brantley signing was huge in comparison to what other players were paid.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CSWendt said:

I've always disagreed with the logic of BABIP being an indicator of luck. That would assume all guys hit the ball in play at the same velocity, launch angle, etc. We would expect players who hit the ball harder to typically have a higher BABIP, while players who hit it softly will have a lower BABIP. I've never really understood how we always expect it to be .300 if it weren't for luck.

BABIP Alone isn't the best way to determine luck. You'd need to combine it with how hard you hit it and where you're hitting it.

xwOBA does a good job at that. Tyler White is 53rd in the league in difference between expected weighted on base vs actual weighted in base. He's fairly lucky. Our luckiest players by far is Chirinos & Jake (3rd and 6th). So if we're buying stock for the next 3/4s of the season I'm selling all 3 and Brantley too. Not that i think Brantley will be bad, I don't think he can keep up his MVP level production.

I like when you youngsters post stuff like that
Bregxit
AG
astros4545 said:

Wait

How can a BABIP be lower than ones total batting average?

Does not make sense
BA:
38 for 137 = .277

BABIP:
(38H - 12HR) / (137AB - 26K - 12HR + 4SAC)
26/103 = .252

He leads the league in sac flies at the moment. That lowers your BABIP.
Ag_07
AG
ChAg1799 said:

Cole is a far better pitcher than Stroman.... I hope it's not what we had to give up for Cole...

Far better? I don't know. I think Cole is better no doubt but I'm not sure I'd say far better. Stroman is pretty dang good.

But I think Stroman can be absolutely elite here with Strom and this staff. A lot like what has happened to Cole.
JABQ04
AG
Springer got out. What a bum.
shano0603
AG
woooooooooow
shano0603
AG
Is no one else watching?
Bregxit
AG
Watching...but helping kids with homework, cooking supper, and brother crashing at the house.
newsjunkie
I'm here
astros4545
AG
JABQ04 said:

Springer got out. What a bum.

Springer 'Robbin Leadoff' Dingers
Poke_the_Bear
AG
There ya go
Kashchei
AG
Diaz mio!
bearkatag15
AG
Diaz is really coming around
Mathguy64
AG
I'm here. Been mowing the yard and starting a fire for fajitas. Came in just in time to see Daz launch his missile.
newsjunkie
Did they just call that a Cuban missile? LOL
bullard21k
AG
Churro sticks
Mathguy64
AG
Cheerios!!
Mathguy64
AG
Yep.
newsjunkie
And here's to you, Mr Robinson!!!!
astros4545
AG
Ball was smoked oppo
shano0603
AG
OH. Get past the murderers row in the first part of the lineup. Then let the Diaz, White and Chirinos combo take you for 3 runs.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

W said:

Cheerios has 3 career hits vs Boyd in 7 ABs. 2 of those hits were home runs.

Make that 4-8 with 3 HRs
Mathguy64
AG
For all the good Brantley has done at the plate everyone continues to take extra bases on him.
Bregxit
AG
Just missed that...good hitting

ETA: Wow 413' double
MosesHallRAB04
AG
mathguy86 said:

For all the good Brantley has done at the plate everyone continues to take extra bases on him.

If Jake can hit .250-.260 I wouldn't mind him playing center and DHing Brantley.
First Page Last Page
Page 205 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.