***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

3,726,416 Views | 74431 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by PSully97
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My students all know that I don't give grades away

And as well as Lunhow has done with bringing players in, I would give him a C for promoting players up from the minors. I think he handled Bregman perfectly. He struggled coming up and they stuck with him. He did the opposite with Tucker. They should have trotted him out every day for a month. They didn't. I wonder if that's partly got them double thinking Alvarez. I think he did handle Jake last year well. He scuffed, they gave him a long leash and finally sent him down to figure it out. They have 3 players all out of options at the same time and that's handcuffed them.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's going to be really interesting to see what they do when Altuve comes off the IL.

A) Does Martin go back down and McHugh go back into the rotation?
B) Do they cut bait with either one of Kemp/White?
C) Does Devo or another BP arm like James go back down and McHugh stay put?
D) Does someone go to the IL with arm discomfort?

My money is on option C
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Depends on Martin's next start I think. A good start (or at least not a bad one) and he stays and McHugh stays in the pen and it's 50/50 on C or D. If he bombs and McHugh does well they just send Martin back. If McHugh struggles and Martins next start is a bust they have some harder choices.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My guess is they are just being patient with Kemp/White to see if they turn it around. It's not like the offense is staggering and in need of a call up.

Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do when Altuve comes off the IL.

A) Does Martin go back down and McHugh go back into the rotation?
B) Do they cut bait with either one of Kemp/White?
C) Does Devo or another BP arm like James go back down and McHugh stay put?
D) Does someone go to the IL with arm discomfort?

My money is on option C
A) Not likely at all unless Martin does terribly
B) I cannot see that happening. Maybe down the road, we'll trade one or both.
C) Framber would be my guess.
D) Could happen or could be a real injury.
Miles Finch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ag_07 said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do when Altuve comes off the IL.

A) Does Martin go back down and McHugh go back into the rotation?
B) Do they cut bait with either one of Kemp/White?
C) Does Devo or another BP arm like James go back down and McHugh stay put?
D) Does someone go to the IL with arm discomfort?

My money is on option C
My guess is C, Valdez.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Frok said:

My guess is they are just being patient with Kemp/White to see if they turn it around. It's not like the offense is staggering and in need of a call up.

True but as season progresses it's gonna be a numbers game and whether the offense is rolling or not they are taking up 2 spots on the 25 man roster.

I think that's gonna be the issue. Eventually it's gonna be a question of can they afford to occupy those roster spots with non-productive players?
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Boy Rangers fans sure are butt-hurt this morning. See the thread on the Premium page for evidence. I work with one who is avoiding eye contact and/or any discussion of any type this morning.
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd be willing to bet Lunhow is already making calls seeing what he can get for White and Kemp right now, because in short time they are going to have to make some roster moves regarding the 25 man.
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag12thman said:

Boy Rangers fans sure are butt-hurt this morning. See the thread on the Premium page for evidence. I work with one who is avoiding eye contact and/or any discussion of any type this morning.
A lot of trash talking after that first series in Arlington. Karma train.
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't see it making much sense for a team to trade for White or Kemp

A) They're not worth giving anything up for
B) They're out of options so why trade for them when you can try and get them via a waiver claim when they're DFAed
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd send white, James, framber, devo down to AAA in that order if we are moving someone down.

I personally would not consider moving McHugh down. He's versatile both rotation and pen and we know what he can provide.

James and devo are walking gas cans who can't locate pitches and groove fastballs as a result. We know who they are imo
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

I don't see it making much sense for a team to trade for White or Kemp

A) They're not worth giving anything up for
B) They're out of options so why trade for them when you can try and get them via a waiver claim when they're DFAed
Because they could be everyday players on some teams.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bullard21k said:

I'd send white, James, framber, devo down to AAA in that order if we are moving someone down.

I personally would not consider moving McHugh down. He's versatile both rotation and pen and we know what he can provide.

James and devo are walking gas cans who can't locate pitches and groove fastballs as a result. We know who they are imo
If you send White down you lose him on waivers. Its guaranteed that another team will pick him up. I'm ok with this happening but Lunhow is probably not at this point.

Kemp is in the same boat although I'd rather keep him.

James I think is worth keeping up for now. I'd rather send Devo down at this point. That dude is a dumpster fire right now. Easily the worst bullpen arm we have.


There is no way Colin McHugh has any options left and you are *not putting him on waivers.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Colin is way too good to send down. He's probably our 3rd or 4th best bullpen arm if he performs like last year.
mathguy86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McHugh has 4 seasons where he's been up and down from minors to majors. He's out of options too it looks like.
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Colin is way too good to send down. He's probably our 3rd or 4th best bullpen arm if he performs like last year.
Yeah I left a key word out of that last sentence on Colin. No way they are putting him on waivers.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What does devo have on the front office? He has to have compromising photos or witnessed an ill timed bj with a masseuse because I really can't give one good reason why he is on the roster other than eating innings when up by 6 or more
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't see it making much sense for a team to trade for White or Kemp

A) They're not worth giving anything up for
B) They're out of options so why trade for them when you can try and get them via a waiver claim when they're DFAed
Because they could be everyday players on some teams.

Yeah I can see that but I don't see them as pieces that a team is willing to give up someone for.

I could be wrong but I doubt there's a GM out there asking Luhnow 'Hey Jeff what it's gonna take to get Kemp or White on my roster?'

AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wouldn't a bag of peanuts, or maybe a super late draft pick for Kemp or White be better than nothing? Not saying anyone would trade for them, given their contracts but it wouldn't hurt to ask around.....my whole point is sooner, rather than later one or both of those players wont be wearing an Astros uniform.
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Astros got some decent prospects for J.D. Davis over the offseason. You never know.
fullback44
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's going to be really interesting to see what they do when Altuve comes off the IL.

A) Does Martin go back down and McHugh go back into the rotation?
B) Do they cut bait with either one of Kemp/White?
C) Does Devo or another BP arm like James go back down and McHugh stay put?
D) Does someone go to the IL with arm discomfort?

My money is on option C

We will send one of the pitchers down for a break for a while if Corbin stays on par... I don't know which one will go back down, but someone who isn't helping much. We need at least one more rotation guy with McHugh not performing, I don't know if McHugh goes to the pen or they put him on the 10 day IL for rest, but something is in the works.

Now if Corbin goes a few games and has issues, then the real problem comes forward, do you keep Corbin up and let him pitch in the pen if he's really good for one or two innings?

And for all the Forest Whitley is the next great pitcher... he's got a 10.8 ERA in Round Rock right now.. hes got work to do but hes a young guy..

Bottom line, with Corbin pitching that good, we needed someone to stepup and relieve the guys having issues, and Corbin may just be the right guy!
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Astros have 4 of the top 13 players ranked by WAR
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregman's BABIP
Bobcat-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP
Does that mean he will get better when the BABIP averages out?
DVC2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP

That's ridiculous.
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wait

How can a BABIP be lower than ones total batting average?

Does not make sense
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP
Does that mean he will get better when the BABIP averages out?
Yes his offense would be better once his BABIP numbers normalize. His BABIP in his first 3 seasons have been .317, .311 and .289.
E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whats even crazier is that none of them are Altuve
TREX01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Homeruns dont equal a ball in play because they are never in play
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP
Does that mean he will get better when the BABIP averages out?

Typically 30% of balls in play result in hits (or a BABIP of .300)

Anything too far under .300 is considered running into bad luck while anything way over .300 is considered getting lucky.

**At least that's how I've always looked at BABIP. Someone else who knows more may elaborate but I think that's the jist of it
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

astros4545 said:

Bregman's BABIP
Does that mean he will get better when the BABIP averages out?

Typically 30% of balls in play result in hits (or a BABIP of .300)

Anything too far under .300 is considered running into bad luck while anything way over .300 is considered getting lucky.

And guess who is the luckiest MFer on the team right now

Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So does Luhnow pump that up during the trade discussions he's having with all these teams calling about White?
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always disagreed with the logic of BABIP being an indicator of luck. That would assume all guys hit the ball in play at the same velocity, launch angle, etc. We would expect players who hit the ball harder to typically have a higher BABIP, while players who hit it softly will have a lower BABIP. I've never really understood how we always expect it to be .300 if it weren't for luck.
ChAg1799
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

So does Luhnow pump that up during the trade discussions he's having with all these teams calling about White?


I'd field a call for Stroman... White and a lower level Minor pitcher for Marcus Stroman...