***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,510 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BMX Bandit said:

crowman2010 said:

AGHouston11 said:

I never understood how crowd noise helped or hurt a team in Baseball.

It cost us not hearing catcher interference last night though

If you've never played on a big stage, you wouldn't understand...
Which big stage did you play on that gave you this insight?
7nine
Beat40
I don't know why everyone all of a sudden wants all of this soft contact.

You increase your chances of getting a hit by hitting it harder. Smoking balls leads to more hits. We have done that, and it shows with how many guys are on base.

Literally the major problem offensively is finding those hits with RISP this postseason. It's been a huge problem. Soft contact is not going to help that. Maybe we do need a little blooper with RISP to loosen guys up, but I will take hard hits in those situations 10 times out of 10.

The lazy pop-ups with RISP has been what is most frustrating to me.
Texaggie7nine
All I know is, for Alvarez, the past 2 games, when he just swings for a simple hit, he has been getting on base.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
Why I have some optimism.

Thru 2 games the are underachieving and they are extremely overachieving. Over enough games these would balance out and our offense would crush theirs (see 2019 season). Even without a large sample size, you'd still expect this not to continue.

Astros
BA - .256
xBA - .298
(.041)

SLG - .432
xSLG - .504
(.072)

wOBA - .319
xwOBA - .364
(.045)

Nats
BA - .307
xBA - .226

SLG - .547
xSLG - .391

wOBA - .382
xwOBA - .292
Liquid Wrench
Everyone needs some comic relief today.

I suggest going over to the Rangers off-season thread, which is mostly about how bad the Astros are and how much Houston people are obsessed with Dallas: https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3065971/3
Deluxe
AG
Good post. Puts some numbers to how much has gone their way thus far. Hopefully the series extends long enough to capture their regression back to the "mean" in each of those stats.

I really think we just have to beat them once and they'll start feeling a little pressure. They're riding high right now (and for good reason) but if things don't go their way in game 3, things could change in a heartbeat.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Wabs said:

Who starts game 4 if we win game 3?

Who starts game 4 is we lose game 3?
Peacock

Peacock
ChAg1799
AG
Have you guys checked in on fellow Astros fans this AM? I feel like the Astros did us wrong... like they touched us inappropriately...
eATMup-Reveille
Beat40 said:

You increase your chances of getting a hit by hitting it harder. Smoking balls leads to more hits. We have done that, and it shows with how many guys are on base.

Literally the major problem offensively is finding those hits with RISP this postseason. It's been a huge problem. Soft contact is not going to help that. Maybe we do need a little blooper with RISP to loosen guys up, but I will take hard hits in those situations 10 times out of 10.

It's not an issue of hitting the ball hard or not, it's an issue of continual attempts to pull everything. It's pathetic. You saw what Springer did when he hit the outside pitch to right field in game one.
Aston 91
AG
07ag said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Who is yalls MVP?

Most Likely: Cole
Darkhorse: Yuli
Most likely: altuve stays hot
dark horse: greinke, who picks up W's in games 3 and 7
Let's hope the last prediction comes true and makes 07ag look like Nostradamus.
crowman2010
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

What will you do to swing the luck?

Here is my list:

Wash all Astros clothing
Change Astros hat/shirt combo out
Burn Jose Altuve candle during the game
Switching from Crawford Bock to 5% Tint
Buying my game 6 ticket to watch us win it all

Considering burning a picture of Juan Soto in the flames of the Altuve candle.
Also considering a poop slap

I mean...as long as you film the poop slap, go for it!
crowman2010
AG
BMX Bandit said:

crowman2010 said:

AGHouston11 said:

I played in the American Legion state championship game...at Minute Maid. Biggest stage I ever got to, but the fan involvement was awesome. Definitely kept the adrenaline pumping.

I've also coached teams to championship games (youth baseball) and they absolutely feed off the energy.
mwm
The Gnats are a good team. A very good team. They have, in fact, won 8 in a row counting last night.

They have basically "coasted" through the Brewers, the Dodgers & the Cards. They have only had one 1-run game in that stretch. Pretty much "easy", "no stress" wins like last night's ended up being. They've got it all rolling in their favor.

They have been having "fun" and are, as a result, playing "loose". They have absolutely taken advantage of their run. On the flip side, our schedule and results have been tense and nothing that would resemble "easy".

Again, I fully expect the Astros will come out tomorrow night and look like a totally different team. Hopefully, they'll come out and punch the Gnats in the chops and go on roll from there.

And, finally, a disclaimer: I am not a shrink but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
aTm2004
AG
I hope on the plane ride today Springer or someone makes some dumb joke that gets the whole plane laughing, just like Ausmus did on the flight to St. Louis when he had everyone look out the window and then said that he thought he saw Pujols' ball.
Ags #1
AG
forgot how the brewers were one error from keeping the nats at home
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
crowman2010 said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

What will you do to swing the luck?

Here is my list:

Wash all Astros clothing
Change Astros hat/shirt combo out
Burn Jose Altuve candle during the game
Switching from Crawford Bock to 5% Tint
Buying my game 6 ticket to watch us win it all

Considering burning a picture of Juan Soto in the flames of the Altuve candle.
Also considering a poop slap

I mean...as long as you film the poop slap, go for it!
You would never see me offer a poop slap! For some reason, I cannot do bathroom humor, probably the ass whippings I took as a kid for fart jokes.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
mwm said:

The Gnats are a good team. A very good team. They have, in fact, won 8 in a row counting last night.

They have basically "coasted" through the Brewers, the Dodgers & the Cards. They have only had one 1-run game in that stretch. Pretty much "easy", "no stress" wins like last night's ended up being. They've got it all rolling in their favor.

They have been having "fun" and are, as a result, playing "loose". They have absolutely taken advantage of their run. On the flip side, our schedule and results have been tense and nothing that would resemble "easy".

Again, I fully expect the Astros will come out tomorrow night and look like a totally different team. Hopefully, they'll come out and punch the Gnats in the chops and go on roll from there.

And, finally, a disclaimer: I am not a shrink but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
8 straight and 18-2 in their last 20....that is colossally good. If they win they 100% deserve it....but it is almost understandable if you cant sustain that kind of production and fall back down to Earth in the next 3-4 losing the lead or possibly the whole thing, count me in the group hoping for the latter
Deluxe
AG
Surprised no one is talking about Altuve's heads up play to get thrown out at third last night. I guess that play gets overlooked because we lost so handily, but those are the types of plays we're going to need if we're going to win this series.

If Altuve stays at second in that situation, we have a runner in scoring position, meaning Brantley and Bregman would not have gotten hits. But Altuve sacrificing himself on the basepaths allowed Brantley and Bregman to hit without RISP. That completely changed the dynamic of the inning.
mwm
And that was the only one run game. And it was the first of their 8-game streak.
Sometimes, a little luck or the other guy's mistake lights a fire.
mwm
I'm "all in" with you on the latter.
Beat40
eATMup-Reveille said:

Beat40 said:

It's not an issue of hitting the ball hard or not, it's an issue of continual attempts to pull everything. It's pathetic. You saw what Springer did when he hit the outside pitch to right field in game one.
Don't disagree with you on going with the pitch more. I absolutely want some of their approaches to be adjusted a little. I'm just saying it's a fact harder hit balls have a greater chance to be a hit than soft contact. It's a little bit of an overreaction to all of a sudden want small ball and soft contact.

irish pete ag06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Why I have some optimism.

Thru 2 games the are underachieving and they are extremely overachieving. Over enough games these would balance out and our offense would crush theirs (see 2019 season). Even without a large sample size, you'd still expect this not to continue.

Astros
BA - .256
xBA - .298
(.041)

SLG - .432
xSLG - .504
(.072)

wOBA - .319
xwOBA - .364
(.045)

Nats
BA - .307
xBA - .226

SLG - .547
xSLG - .391

wOBA - .382
xwOBA - .292
Yep. It's why playoffs are so scary. These are not sustainable over 162... they may be for 4 games.
Deluxe
AG
Yep. Need to get a win if for no other reason than to extend the series and have a better chance of the Nats regressing back to expected production.
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Yep. Need to get a win if for no other reason than to extend the series and have a better chance of the Nats regressing back to expected production.
I just want to win Game 3 to hopefully start putting a little pressure back on the Nats.
eATMup-Reveille
Everything is working for them, but the destiny or magic stuff is really a matter of Nats executing on the mound, in the field and at the plate. The Astros are failing in all 3 areas. It doesn't mean the series is over, but until the Astros change, there aren't enough games remaining.

History of prior WS results only determines what fans anticipate will happen, but until the games are actually played, they are irrelevant.

Last night's game looked like it might be a tight finish, like game 1. However, Bregman's miscues changed everything, and Nats stepped on Astros throats.

I think the series gets back to Houston. However, it is difficult to determine how much of that is based on my being an Astros fan, and how much is based on watching them break out of serious slumps numerous times this season.
cablinaggie
AG
mwm said:

I don't know if they've coasted all that much because of the competition in the NL, they have basically been playing to extend their season since what, August? They've never been in first place so they've been fighting for a WC spot against the Brewers, STL, Cubs, Mets and D-backs for most of their season and along with the WC game and G5 of the NLDS they've figured out how to maximize their talent. WSN has 7 wins against sub-70 win teams in the last 2 months (PIT, MIA), we have 17 vs. the likes of TOR, BAL, KC, DET, SEA. The only game we've had that threatened to end our season was Game 5 against the Rays, and we won that because Glasnow tipped his pitches. We've barely been stressed, until now.

This isn't a very baseball-savant ish analysis but I think iron sharpens iron.
Beat40
I do think this team is resilient. I'm excited to see what happens in Game 3.
Wabs
AG
VikingNik
AG
The "gnats" were down 3-1 into the 8th inning against Milwaukee in the play in game and were down late to the Dodgers in game 5 of the NLDS. They basically had to win the ten games before that to even make the post season. So definitely they have been coasting. Their last six games have clearly been a breeze though.
AustinCountyAg
can we please stop with the Nats "destiny" talk and having them "regress back to themselves".

After the Nats terrible start they were arguably the second best team in the MLB behind the Astros. They are ****ing good.
Deluxe
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

can we please stop with the Nats "destiny" talk and having them "regress back to themselves".

After the Nats terrible start they were arguably the second best team in the MLB behind the Astros. They are ****ing good.
The regression talk (that I've seen anyway) is in regard to the stats Farmer1906 posted above
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

The nats are ironically enough a lot like the St Louis Blues hockey team. The Blues won the Stanley cup after being last in the League on Jan 3 about halfway thru the season. They somehow pulled it together and went on an absolute tear. They played at a top 5 Point per game pace the lead has ever seen ever from Jan 4 on. Their run included an 11 game win streak. People kept saying they'd "regress back to normal" but no one considered that this was the new normal.

Idk much about baseball but I am pulling for the Texas team.
Baseball-Junkie
I am sad to say it, but this series is over, and I wouldn't be shocked if we got swept. They hit the ball. They've shown they can hit our two aces and will probably destroy Greinke and whoever else we throw out there. It sucks.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
crowman2010 said:

BMX Bandit said:

crowman2010 said:

AGHouston11 said:

I played in the American Legion state championship game...at Minute Maid. Biggest stage I ever got to, but the fan involvement was awesome. Definitely kept the adrenaline pumping.

I've also coached teams to championship games (youth baseball) and they absolutely feed off the energy.
I remember watching those highlights on Sportscenter, epic.
agdaddy04
AG
Baseball-Junkie said:

I am sad to say it, but this series is over, and I wouldn't be shocked if we got swept. They hit the ball. They've shown they can hit our two aces and will probably destroy Greinke and whoever else we throw out there. It sucks.

Based on your other posts I don't believe you when you say you're sad to say it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1814 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.