***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,833 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Harry Dunne said:

BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

I love boobs as much as the next guy

no one believes you
You got me. I love reading y'alls (usually) intelligent opinions about my favorite team more than seeing pics of Kate Upton's overrated Nat Geo boobs not rally the team the millionth time. Which of course means I'm super gay.

if you think these people are intelligent, you're not gay, you're an idiot.
Philip J Fry
AG
It's pretty simple. Nats are playing loose and the Stros are playing tight.

Even the crowd last night felt it in the first inning and it persisted.

Never been to a WS at MM, but I've been to my fair share of ALDS/ALCS and I've never heard the crowd so quite.
djmeen95
AG
Forgiven_Ag said:

I'll say it. Rally Kate is done. We need a new good luck chick

Rally Kate May still work! Perhaps the World Series just demands nipples?
Shenaniganz
This team needs to focus on one game at a time. One inning at a time. One at bat at a time. Stop trying to crank one out of the park. Soft contact into the middle of the field to generate pressure is what will win the game. The Astros have had no problem getting hits, it's scoring those hit is the problem. Soft contact, little bloops between infield and outfield, one run at a time and it will hopefully come together.
03_Aggie
Texaggie7nine said:

Jimbos Cow said:

bearkatag15 said:

make it happen....
Let's hope that players only meeting lit a fire in some of the guys.
What I would like to have happened is Cole and JV telling the team that they take responsibility for the first 2 games, and if the guys can keep them alive so that they can pitch again, they guarantee they will pitch winning games.

Just flip it, I hope the offense apologized for not giving them run support or any room to breathe, much less make a mistake.

Cole and verlander didn't put their best foot forward in games 1&2 but their lights out pitching is probably the biggest reason we made it to the WS to start. The offense has struggled throughout the playoffs.
k20dub
AG
djmeen95 said:

Forgiven_Ag said:

Wabs
AG
My hope is that this team can figure out how to score runs in innings 2-7. That would be a nice and refreshing change, and would increase our chances of a victory.
astros4545
AG
rgt99 said:

Sucks that the Astros are in the position. We look shell shocked, it even showed on their faces during the National Anthem. The Stros looks scared and tight, while Washington seemed very loose.

The only focus should be game 3. Dont worry about different scenarios. Just focus on putting pressure on the Nats. This whole series feels like we have been playing from behind even with the scored tied at 2. The bats need to get hot and put pressure on them, and relieve our pitchers. With no run support, the pitching staff feels like every batter must be struck out so they play tight and conservative. They need to come out in game 3 and score some runs in the first few innings and it will be a completely different ball game. We need to go back to the "nothing to lose" attitude.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
djmeen95 said:

Forgiven_Ag said:

False. We milked Rally Kate as long as we could. It's time for a new tine chick. Kelsey Gil local Insta hottie will take us to the promise land
Frok
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Frok said:

I think what we need is a victory that devastates the Nats and their fans. They need to be up 3-0 going into the 9th. Crowd going wild but we load the bases and hit a grand slam. Something so big it puts a seed of doubt in them.
That seems totally reasonable. Call AJ on his cell phone and let him know the plan.

Will do.
Marvin
AG
Forgiven_Ag said:

We milked Rally Kate as long as we could.

astros4545
AG
Only decision for Game 3 is whether Alvarez plays in OF

I say it's a clear yes

Game 4 vs Corbin I could be convinced to start Diaz, buy game 3 I think you have to start alvarez
Big Al 1992
AG
We will win game 3. I will say what this team is missing is the outspoken veterans like Beltran and McCann that waited forever to get a ring and realize this isn't easy - letting players know they may never get back there so take advantage of the moment.
yawny06
AG
Forgiven_Ag said:

We might be the new Braves when it is all said and done.
As a Braves fan, lest you forget that time Atlanta went into Yankee Stadium and obliterated the Yankees in the first two games of the World Series, only to lose four straight, and failed to repeat as World Champions.

There is still hope for the 'Stros
Marvin
AG
Screw it, I'm putting it in writing... on the world wide web, no less.

The Houston Astros- the team with 107 wins, the Cy Young co-favorites, the MVP candidate, the ROY candidate, the former MVP still in his prime, the best GM in baseball, the team that sent the Evil Empire home- that team, our team, will win the next 4 games and (a la Rockets) go from Choke to Clutch to Champ City. Again.

mwm
Here's my take...right or wrong. Fire away.

The Astros have come off two very emotional, hard fought series against TB and NY. I suspect the players are just wrecks having gone through a couple of weeks of highly-charged baseball.

It only make sense to me that they were going to hit a "valley". You just can't stay on a "high" that long and not expect to come crashing down at some point. Believe it or not, these guys are humans.

I fully expect we will see a totally different team in DC.

The Astros are still, and will remain, my team no matter what. And they have been since 1962.
Big Al 1992
AG
12-3 sounds worse than it was
Yes it was an ass kicking but any one of these things happen last night and we are 1-1.

Altuve stays at second and doesn't steal.
Correa actually makes contact.
Tucker makes contact w bases loaded.
Alvarez line drive gets through.
Reddick catches fly ball that bounces in front of him.
Bregman doesn't bobble grounder to third.
Bregman doesn't throw to first allowing more runs to score.
And I'm sure there are others - point is not all that has to happen, just one or two.

Astros win Game 3 9-3. Win World Series in 7.
BMX Bandit
astros4545 said:

Only decision for Game 3 is whether Alvarez plays in OF

I say it's a clear yes

Game 4 vs Corbin I could be convinced to start Diaz, buy game 3 I think you have to start alvarez
Agree on game 3. Id for sure go with Alvarez, but he hasn't played in field since 9/2. Will Hinch do it?

Deluxe
AG
The Nats are riding high right now and for good reason. They're a very good team and they're on fire. Baseball is funny. A team can get hot and everyone's confidence goes through the roof. Ryan Zimmerman can hammer a Gerrit Cole fastball over the center field fence. Kurt Suzuki can beat up JV all day and rope a go-ahead home run off him. Pitchers consistently get out of tight jams. Every 50/50 ball (like Bregman's misplay last night or Springer's g1 shot that was two feet from tying the game) tends to go your way.

But baseball is also funny in that one loss can change everything. Confidence goes down slightly. A break or two goes the other team's way. Guys start pressing. I really think if we can just beat them once, their cloak of invincibility will be punctured and we'll have our way with them. They're good, but they aren't THIS good.

The season rides on Greinke and I honestly feel ok about that. We got him for this game specifically. Earlier this year in Oakland, we lost the first three games of a series and our lead had been trimmed to 6.5 games with over a month left to play. Lose the fourth game and it's down to 5.5. But Greinke mowed them down with 7 strong innings and essentially put away the division. This is his moment.

TLDR: If we win game 3, we win the series. And I think Greinke is gonna do it for us.
62strat
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Yes it was an ass kicking but any one of these things happen last night and we are 1-1.

And I'm sure there are others - point is not all that has to happen, just one or two.

Astros win Game 3 9-3. Win World Series in 7.
How about Verlander on his back and clocking himself in the knee trying to throw to first?
BMX Bandit
I dont think he gets him out even if he didn't hit his leg
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I think you just made an argument for this game being as bad as the score indicates by listing all of that out.
JABQ04
AG
I never want to see that stupid ****ing dugout celebration again.
agdaddy04
AG
Pretty sure the play after the Reddick one was a double play.
62strat
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I dont think he gets him out even if he didn't hit his leg
But it certainly didn't help team momentum/morale!
Diggity
AG
didn't we get right out of that inning? it was a non-issue and he was laughing about it.
Boiling Denim
Jimbos Cow said:

This team needs to focus on one game at a time. One inning at a time. One at bat at a time. Stop trying to crank one out of the park. Soft contact into the middle of the field to generate pressure is what will win the game. The Astros have had no problem getting hits, it's scoring those hit is the problem. Soft contact, little bloops between infield and outfield, one run at a time and it will hopefully come together.
No running up pitch counts is way more important than running up the score.

I mean it's not like we need to recognize and adjust to the fact that there is another team out there who's starters can also throw 110+ pitches
Johnsy3
AG
djmeen95 said:

Forgiven_Ag said:

I think this is the key.
Ben Verlander dated Alexandra Daddario for a bit - we could also try her.
Cromagnum
AG
mwm said:

Here's my take...right or wrong. Fire away.

The Astros have come off two very emotional, hard fought series against TB and NY. I suspect the players are just wrecks having gone through a couple of weeks of highly-charged baseball.

It only make sense to me that they were going to hit a "valley". You just can't stay on a "high" that long and not expect to come crashing down at some point. Believe it or not, these guys are humans.

I fully expect we will see a totally different team in DC.

The Astros are still, and will remain, my team no matter what. And they have been since 1962.

Explain to the rest of us pleebs how then the Nats have been on fire since May and show no signs of letting up.
Big Al 1992
AG
Touche
Big Al 1992
AG
I choose to believe this.

Wabs
AG
Jimbos Cow said:

I agree with your sentiment - one AB at a time. However, again, this season we have not been a team that makes "Soft contact into the middle of the field to generate pressure". We have not been a team that moves runners, either by bunting or getting the ball on the ground. We've been a team that mashes - we go for the HR or hard to the gap, no matter the situation. Unfortunately, I think it's too much to ask to just wave a magic wand and expect them to change 2 games into the WS. We're either going to win with the kind of team we are, or we'll lose because of the kind of team we are.
crowman2010
AG
AGHouston11 said:

I never understood how crowd noise helped or hurt a team in Baseball.

It cost us not hearing catcher interference last night though

If you've never played on a big stage, you wouldn't understand...
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What will you do to swing the luck?

Here is my list:

Wash all Astros clothing
Change Astros hat/shirt combo out
Burn Jose Altuve candle during the game
Switching from Crawford Bock to 5% Tint
Buying my game 6 ticket to watch us win it all

Considering burning a picture of Juan Soto in the flames of the Altuve candle.

BMX Bandit
crowman2010 said:

AGHouston11 said:

I never understood how crowd noise helped or hurt a team in Baseball.

It cost us not hearing catcher interference last night though

If you've never played on a big stage, you wouldn't understand...
Which big stage did you play on that gave you this insight?
First Page Last Page
Page 1813 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.