***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,849,465 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I paid $870 for SROs with Game 5 of the WS. I panicked and bought it right after the Game 3 win thinking we were going to take it at home in Game 5. After Game 4 the price dropped to $600. I was worried if we won game 4 the price would go even higher.
AustinAg2K
agsquirrel97 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Correa play is a bit overrated? It was a great throw, but also the play wasn't even close. I'm pretty sure just about any SS in the league throws the runner out. Instead of being out by four steps, he's only out by three, but the runner would still be out. It was a dumb decision to send him.
Yes

You are the only one who thinks that. Most SS would not even be there ready to back up the play
Yes, they would. There was a runner at first, so any SS would be at 2B to throw the runner out. It did help that the Astros were playing a shift, though.
bearkatag15
AG
Severino said he can go 100 pitches tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how Boone handles his pitch count.

Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Correa play is a bit overrated?

Yes you are and it was the absolute right play to send him.

In order for him to be out the ball had to bounce off Altuve right at Correa, he had to pick it up cleanly bare handed, and make a perfect throw home flat footed. Oh yeah...The tag had to made as well.

Phenomenal play that took some luck and perfect execution.
Yep..This is no different than Altuve getting hosed down on the throw from CF to SS to home on Yordan's double against TB. Send the runner and make the other team make a perfect play to get you.
Mathguy64
AG
Severino isn't going 100 pitches. He has 4 starts this season, 4.0 IP, 67 pitches, 5.0/80, 3.0/72 and 4.0/83. If he gets past 4 IP and 80 pitches they will consider it successful. It will be their pen the last 5. And Wednesday if we play they have no one but a bull pen game. Game 3 with a win is crucial. They will be on their heels at that point. And this is why a rain out benefits them. They get to skip a pen game and throw Tanaka Thursday with a rested pen.
Ajollyag
mathguy86 said:

Weird stat from last night. Correa's HR had an EV of 102.6 mph, 27 degree launch angle, an estimated distance of 394 ft and an xBA of .850.

The one he hit in the 6th inning? EV of 103.6, 27 degree LA, 396 ft of carry and an xBA of .900.

One was out and one was an out.

I've been thinking about this all playoffs.... who gives the balls to the ump? Do they pick balls out of the same box? Are balls marked somehow with ones that are "juiced" and "not juiced"? Could the MLB dictate how a game plays out?

Consider me a conspiracy theorist, but there were times when i thought for sure in the TB game when TB balls were juiced and ours were not...
AustinAg2K
Ag_07 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Correa play is a bit overrated?

Yes you are and it was the absolute right play to send him.

In order for him to be out the ball had to bounce off Altuve right at Correa, he had to pick it up cleanly bare handed, and make a perfect throw home flat footed. Oh yeah...The tag had to made as well.

Phenomenal play that took some luck and perfect execution.
Correa didn't have to pick it up bare handed. He had to time to glove it. And I would expect a perfect throw from 2B to home plate. Short stops make perfect throws from deep in the hold to 1B all the time. If you can't throw it from 2B to home plate, you should be in the league. Also, it wasn't a close play at home. It's great that Correa has a gun, but it didn't take a gun. It could have been a 60 mph throw.

You're right at it was a perfect deflection to Correa, but the 3B coach should have seen that and held the runner.
Cromagnum
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

So here's the strategy I formulated today instead of working:

Assuming Correa doesn't bat in the top of the first, let Cole throw one about 99 MPH 10 feet over Judge's head, like Randy Johnson did to John Kruk at the All-Star game that one time.

Both benches get warned about throwing at guys. Then if they throw at Correa, their pitcher gets tossed, and possibly Booney as well.

Although with Boone going through pitchers like I go through chips and salsa, maybe I want him in there.

Judge is a bigass mofo. Just make sure we dont have runners on base in case Chirino has to chase after as wild ass pitch.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Correa play is a bit overrated? It was a great throw, but also the play wasn't even close. I'm pretty sure just about any SS in the league throws the runner out. Instead of being out by four steps, he's only out by three, but the runner would still be out. It was a dumb decision to send him.
It's the mental part of that which makes it great. The situational awareness that it's a tight game, the ball is free, they'll push the runner to go home. Processing all that in a matter of 2 seconds, fielding a ball going in a direction it usually doesn't go, planting your foot, not rushing the throw, and tossing a laser beam home is incredible. If Derek Jeter had made that play, Joe Buck would still be orgasming 12 hours later.

I've bagged on Correa a lot because he can't stay healthy. I love having a shortstop hitting 27 HR a year, but I would much rather have that happen over 160 games than 90, because him being out screws up the infield.

Last night he played like he had an enormous chip on his shoulder, and GOOD, he should feel that way. Critics call him brittle and question his long-term worth for the team. He should go out there and feel like he has everything to prove.
dshedd41
S
Gig’em Aggies!
Will Hunt
ajolly said:

mathguy86 said:

Weird stat from last night. Correa's HR had an EV of 102.6 mph, 27 degree launch angle, an estimated distance of 394 ft and an xBA of .850.

The one he hit in the 6th inning? EV of 103.6, 27 degree LA, 396 ft of carry and an xBA of .900.

One was out and one was an out.

I've been thinking about this all playoffs.... who gives the balls to the ump? Do they pick balls out of the same box? Are balls marked somehow with ones that are "juiced" and "not juiced"? Could the MLB dictate how a game plays out?

Consider me a conspiracy theorist, but there were times when i thought for sure in the TB game when TB balls were juiced and ours were not...
Out was hit to deepest part of field.... HR was to right field, not that hard to figure out.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ajolly said:

What part of your theory makes sense about baseball wanting the Rays to advance? Getting more great shots of the tarp in their upper deck on prime-time TV? All those senior citizens in their TV market falling asleep at 6:30 p.m. during the pre game?
AustinAg2K
MuckRaker96 said:

AustinAg2K said:

It's the mental part of that which makes it great. The situational awareness that it's a tight game, the ball is free, they'll push the runner to go home. Processing all that in a matter of 2 seconds, fielding a ball going in a direction it usually doesn't go, planting your foot, not rushing the throw, and tossing a laser beam home is incredible. If Derek Jeter had made that play, Joe Buck would still be orgasming 12 hours later.

I've bagged on Correa a lot because he can't stay healthy. I love having a shortstop hitting 27 HR a year, but I would much rather have that happen over 160 games than 90, because him being out screws up the infield.

Last night he played like he had an enormous chip on his shoulder, and GOOD, he should feel that way. Critics call him brittle and question his long-term worth for the team. He should go out there and feel like he has everything to prove.
I absolutely agree that if it was Jeter, Joe Buck, ESPN, etc. would all be going nuts calling it one of the greatest plays in MLB history. Also, I think if Jeter had made the play, most people on here would be saying it was a very good play, and a key play in the game, but also a bit over rated. I definitely think it was a good play, but I also think it's a play most SS in the league make.
Texaggie7nine
MuckRaker96 said:

ajolly said:

What part of your theory makes sense about baseball wanting the Rays to advance? Getting more great shots of the tarp in their upper deck on prime-time TV? All those senior citizens in their TV market falling asleep at 6:30 p.m. during the pre game?
Extending the series to a game 5.
7nine
Eso si, Que es
AggiEE said:

Cromagnum said:

Do we finally drop Springer's unproductive ass?

Uh oh

You're about to face the wrath of a poster bearing a Spanish name
I guess you can't spell a simple 5 letter English word, my name is not Spanish, say it fast and it will come to you.

I enjoyed your hot take of how dumb it was to PH Diaz for Tucker with the rationale that Diaz is going to strike out, after Tucker's two attractions plate appearances. Diaz had a great AB to earn a walk against their best arm and turn the lineup over.

If Tucker was Alabama, then you would be the Gary Danielson of TexAgs. It goes a long way if you would ever just call out your son for being undisciplined at the plate. You are quick to call out a surefire ROY, a world series MVP, an American League MVP and an All Star game MVP, but continue to goal tend mediocrity from your offspring.

I may not have been clear so I will say unequivicably, I want Kyle Tucker to have an extremely productive and successful MLB career. I also want the other 24 people on this roster to kick ass and bring home the hardware. I would never root for the failure of one player on this team to the benefit of another player on this team. The struggle of winning a world series is what makes the glory so great, it is just frustrating to watch you bleed all over this thread that is a celebration of the most complete team (in any sport) that this city has ever seen.

Have fun, enjoy the highs and the lows, let Hinch manage (he is kicking Aaron Boone's ass right now) and let Luhnow continue to be the best in the business.
PhatMack19
AG
This is going around Facebook

Dear Fox Media,

The Houston Astros and their fans want to clear up a few things:

1) Will Smith is an actor and may be best known for his role as the star of a TV show "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" which stopped production in 1996.

Two of the Astros' pitchers are Will Harris and Joe Smith. Will Smith does NOT play for the Astros.

2) JJ Watt plays defense (and very rarely offense) for the Houston Texans.

Josh Reddick, aka Spidey, Spiderman, is an outfielder for the Astros. There is no JJ Reddick on our team.

3) Carlos Beltran retired from playing Major League Baseball In 2017, after being on the Astros' World Series team, who, by the way won the fall classic that year.

Carlos Correa is currently the Astros' shortstop. He made the front part of a fantastic play that saved a run in the fifth inning of the 2019 Astros vs Yankees ALCS game 2. Additionally, Carlos Correa hit a walk off home run in the bottom of the 11th in the same game, securing the win and tying the series at one game apiece.

Carlos Beltran was not playing on the field, did not participate in the run saving play, nor did Carlos Beltran hit the walk off home run.

Learn all the players (not just the Yankees) or go back to broadcasting school where they can teach you the fundamentals of good, unbiased reporting.

Thank you,
A devoted Houston Astros' fan
bobinator
AG
I do think there's something weird going on with the baseballs. I was noticing our pitchers especially throwing balls out of the play that they had just been given by the umpire.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the sense that I think there's some kind of intent behind what's going on with the baseballs, but there does appear to be some kind of difference that our pitchers can pick up on.
college of AG
AG
Last night, someone hit a ball deep center caught by Brett Big Head. After the catch, he turned around and kept looking up into the party deck or walkway or something. It really had his attention. Anyone know what happened?
Texaggie7nine
I was too far away to hear, but it looked like some guys were yelling stuff down at him to heckle him.
7nine
Deluxe
AG
bobinator said:

I do think there's something weird going on with the baseballs. I was noticing our pitchers especially throwing balls out of the play that they had just been given by the umpire.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist in the sense that I think there's some kind of intent behind what's going on with the baseballs, but there does appear to be some kind of difference that our pitchers can pick up on.
It's the seam size. Some seams are ever so slightly bigger than others and bigger seams >> more spin.
bobinator
AG
We should put some of these 'devoted astros fans' on live TV and see how they do.
Big Al 1992
AG
Where everyone watching tomorrow? Have some work to do at the JW Marriott in San Antonio so I'll be glued to the giant ribbon big screen.
Deluxe
AG
Starting 9 was giving Bregman some good natured jabs for being too animated in relaying tips back to the dugout. I was wondering if Bregman is articulating fake tips to the dugout to make the Yankees think he found a real tip and then they pull the pitcher out of paranoia.
bobinator
AG
is that always happening or is it more in the playoffs? I had never noticed it before but it may be something I didn't pick up on TV and just noticed in person.
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Marvin said:

Yankee fan in the section where I sat last night threw his hand to his ear (just like Correa did later) and turned around repeatedly after Judge's home run, taunting all the Astros fans around him. I wasn't drinking and wasn't near him, but how the ***** didn't end up with a beer or soda poured over his head is beyond me.

Because we're civil people and not barbaric A-holes

I will say when we were in Yankee Stadium back for Opening Day in 2016 the guys around us were alright. They were obnoxious and ribbing us but I dished it right back to them then we became friends the rest of the day.

Damn it, where did I leave my pedestal? It's around here somewhere...

Just kidding, Ag. It was definitely a bit of hyperbole, but I admit to having very little brotherly love for the average yankee fan.
Marvin
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Where everyone watching tomorrow? Have some work to do at the JW Marriott in San Antonio so I'll be glued to the giant ribbon big screen.

Anybody gone to a MMP watch party? If so, thoughts?
Mr.Ackar07
Marvin said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Went to the 2017 WS Game 6 and 7 watch party. It was great and I met my future wife there! Baby Alexander Bregman Ackar is due this February.
Deluxe
AG
The first time I saw it mentioned was on Rob Friedman's twitter after Cole's first start. I'm guessing he's been doing it all year but more magnified now. I don't really see it as anything more than a tennis player giving a flat ball back to the ball boy though.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Marvin said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Went to the 2017 WS Game 6 and 7 watch party. It was great and I met my future wife there! Baby Alexander Bregman Ackar is due this February.

THANKS FOR THE WARNING!!!
Frok
AG
Marvin said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Only if it was at night and they were on the verge of winning a championship. Not really interesting dealing with downtown for an afternoon game.
Ag_07
AG
Nah that wasn't meant towards you.

I just find unbelievable what some other fan bases do. I see videos all over social media about fans dumping beer on visiting fans etc and it's amazing to me.

I've never seen anything like at MMP. I get heckling and ribbing that's all in good fun, but there's no place for some of this stuff.
Marvin
AG
I bet I've watched the Correa homer montage at least 20 times today.
Texaggie7nine
Marvin said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Can be fun, but keep in mind a lot of the participants are those that can't afford tickets to home games, so there can be a bit of a culture clash.
7nine
Ag_07
AG
And just for fun I looked at what the weather is forecast to be in MIN this week top see what it would like if we were playing there.

WED high is 46 with a low of 35
Frok
AG
Ag_07 said:

And just for fun I looked at what the weather is forecast to be in MIN this week top see what it would like if we were playing there.

WED high is 46 with a low of 35

I'm rooting for a rainout on Wednesday.
First Page Last Page
Page 1450 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.