***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,265 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
KC_Ag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

KC_Ag14 said:

Can't afford for 1, 2, 3 in the order to go 1-12 many more times... if at all.

Springer will pick it up. Altuve is always reliable. And Brantley is Brantley.

I'm not worried at all

I truly don't have any concerns about those 3 either. Just stating it was a tough night for those 3 and we overcame it. Wouldn't count on it every time though.
PSully97
AG
mazag08 said:

Last time we played Morton we made him look like Jordan Lyles.
I know you mean Astros era JL, but Lyles was actually nails the second half of this season.
titanmaster_race
Buck Compton said:

suburban cowboy said:

That ump sucked ballsack
He was great until that Bregman strikeout looking. That was his first mistake then just ****ed it all to hell after that. Was wildly inconsistent, basically all in the Rays favor. Really changed how batters approach the game.

This. Thought he was really solid until that strikeout. Then he fell off a steep cliff.
(removed:110205)
TXAG14 said:

I'd be really happy if I didn't have to hear Girardi the rest of the post season.

I hope he gets hired by the Cubs tomorrow
gigemJTH12
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Osuna can't handle the playoffs. He was garbage last year against Boston, and he was garbage tonight.

I'm no the biggest Osuna fan obvi, but that's on Hinch. Shoulda went Harris after the 8th. No more multiple innings for osuna. Glad we won while learning that.
titanmaster_race
gigemJTH12 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Osuna can't handle the playoffs. He was garbage last year against Boston, and he was garbage tonight.

I'm no the biggest Osuna fan obvi, but that's on Hinch. Shoulda went Harris after the 8th. No more multiple innings for osuna. Glad we won while learning that.
the last of the bohemians
Tonight proved that an MVP type player can put an ump on tilt....
CFTXAG10
AG
Is it crazy to say this might be the best pitching we will face in the playoffs?
AggiEE
gigemJTH12 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Agreed.

Osuna just needs to have a shorter leash and a predictable role.

He was great in game 1, great closing out the 8th for Cole, and got into trouble in the 9th.
gigemJTH12
AG
Nationals and dodgers would be up there for starting pitching. But yeah if Snell and Glasnow are on, + Charlie and their pen, they may be #1.
Harry Dunne
RO519 said:

Harry Dunne said:

RO519 said:

Harry Dunne said:

RO519 said:

Osuna has some VERY fresh ink on his left forearm. Why the hell would you get a new tattoo right before the playoffs start?
Lotta legit things to complain about. This is about #1,469 on the list.

Stupidity of a pitcher that need to have some sort of a routine. Tattoos take time to heal and don't feel normal until they do. Wait a month and get whatever you want tattooed on your arm, but why change something and put your body through that right before the playoffs?
If he can't handle some very mild soreness he doesn't need to be a major league closer.

Obviously you're right - it's not the number one smartest thing in the world to do before the playoffs, but you're really reaching for things to complain about.

I didn't have to reach for anything. Why change something and irritate part of your body before a big game or series?
Like I said, it's obviously not the smartest thing in the world to do but it's also not that big of a deal.

Do you have a tattoo? If not then I'm not sure why we're having this conversation. And if so then you know that especially on a non-sensitive area like your forearm it's very minimal pain.
Scrap Iron Ag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

AustinAg2K said:

He was huge getting Diaz out and stranding two for Cole but he should've been on a short leash after sitting so long.

I was thinking the same, thought no way Osuna comes in to pitch the 9th after a long bottom of the 8th that added a run to the lead. Fortunately, it ended with a win.
Beat40
gigemJTH12 said:

AustinAg2K said:

It's also like we forget the Kenny G experience. Kenny G out there is giving the game away after the first two hits. At least Osuna still battled and competed. A couple of small things go his way and he's out of it.

Again, he still didn't get the job done, but I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.
Big Al 1992
AG
So delighted. (Free Solo reference)
kb2001
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Is it crazy to say this might be the best pitching we will face in the playoffs?
Not crazy at all, LAD is the only other potential playoff opponent that can compare. TB's pitching this season has been on par with or close to the Astros and Dodgers. No other playoff team is close
jopatura
AG
The Osuna thing is overblown.

Obviously looking back on it, Hinch should have stuck with a traditional 8th/9th with Harris and Osuna. But it's also hard to pull Cole in that situation.

Once Cole got in trouble, the best option to shut that **** down was Osuna. Asking the 9th inning out of him was a stretch, but you have to at least let him start. If Harris came in and got into the same trouble with Osuna burned we would have lost the game. There's no one to pick up Harris.
kb2001
AG
Beat40 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

AustinAg2K said:

It's also like we forget the Kenny G experience. Kenny G out there is giving the game away after the first two hits. At least Osuna still battled and competed. A couple of small things go his way and he's out of it.

Again, he still didn't get the job done, but I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.
I think you're giving him too much credit. He was nails in the 8th. In the 9th, he was bad. He threw some strikes, but when he was trying to pitch off the plate to entice swings, he wasn't close, and they were easy takes. It wasn't close pitches that he wasn't getting the call on, they were way off. The hitters figured out pretty quick that if it didn't look perfect at 40 feet it was probably in the dirt.

The fact that he came in for the 8th instead of Harris tells me that AJ is looking at Harris as his most trustworthy reliever this postseason.
MexAg05
AG
jopatura said:

Obviously looking back on it, Hinch should have stuck with a traditional 8th/9th with Harris and Osuna. But it's also hard to pull Cole in that situation.

Once Cole got in trouble, the best option to shut that **** down was Osuna. Asking the 9th inning out of him was a stretch, but you have to at least let him start. If Harris came in and got into the same trouble with Osuna burned we would have lost the game. There's no one to pick up Harris.

Exactly what I was thinking. Had to give hmm a chance cause who else do you trust to close other than those two? Pressley? Maybe. No one else
kb2001
AG
jopatura said:

Good perspective. I viewed it differently (as stated above), but your reasoning makes sense as well
titanmaster_race
The fact that Osuna came in instead of Harris in a high leverage situation in the 8th and then remained through lots of trouble in the 9th tells you that Hinch trusts Harris more?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Osuna struck out a guy on three pitches in the 8th. You send him back out for the ninth by default. Based on what you see, he has it that night. The long layoff got to him and he faltered. AJ said post game that the matchups favored him until he was pulled, so he was probably hoping he'd pull something out. Hindsight being what it is, of course you would want Harris or someone else to pitch the ninth. I think if pressley had not struggled last night and thrown 20 pitches, he gets sent in there in the eighth and we don't see issues until the ninth.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Faustus
Obviously a fluke with the ball boy, but I'd be OK going sans stool in the post season. If it's too tiring to stand, go ahead and extend the privilege to 9 unpaid ball boys.

Lightening should never be able to strike again.

Great win. Was worried when I went to watch the game on DVR and saw the page count on the thread for how far I was behind, all the while Cole was dealing. I didn't think it would turn out well.
Philip J Fry
AG
wangus12 said:

mazag08 said:

Philip J Fry said:

Someone start a gofundme for Cole.

CFTXAG is a lawyer. I nominate him.
Call JJ Watt

Tweeted him. Anyone have his number?
Philip J Fry
AG
And for the record, this is the type game we lost against the Red Sox last year.

The fluke ball running against the wall stands out.
Ags #1
AG
Why???
Big Al 1992
AG
WelchAg said:

Remember when we could never buy a playoff win and Bagwell and Biggio couldn't hit ***** These are fun times folks.

The Braves and Padres series were awful. So great to have Altuve, Springer, Yuli, Bregs come through in big spots. Those late 90's through 2001 were insufferable. This current team takes care of business on both offense and defense. 9 more wins!

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/hou/history/postseason_results.jsp
Philip J Fry
AG
Still haven't forgotten multiple innings of bases loaded with 0 or 1 outs and not producing any runs. Tonight felt that way.
mwm
Machete had a huge game last night.
sonnysixkiller
AG
Have been an Astros fan since 1970 and watched us lose in every way possible that stool incident just about pushed me over the edge because you could tell this one was going down to the last strike. I'm still trying to get use to us winning these games it's hard to relax and enjoy but it's an addiction.
Just an Ag
AG
Faustus said:

Obviously a fluke with the ball boy, but I'd be OK going sans stool in the post season. If it's too tiring to stand, go ahead and extend the privilege to 9 unpaid ball boys.
Yep, no stool required. Or, put the seat on a fold down spring and bolt it against the wall, no legs, no problem!
Harry Stone
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

not at all. a healthy snell and glasnow makes the astros and rays the top two in the mlb, with nats and dodgers right behind.
BMX Bandit
I'd put TB after Dodgers & Nats rotation.

But TB MUCH better than anyone we could/will face in AL
Farmer1906
AG
Just caught up on this thread. So much meltdown. Y'all need to relax a little.
CoachRTM
AG
Scherzer starting in game 3 after pitching an inning in Game 2 (14 pitches)
First Page Last Page
Page 1232 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.