***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,848,872 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
Bregxit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Bregxit said:

PoppaB05 said:

Strasburg only threw 34 pitches. I still think he goes in game 2 unless he doesn't feel right. Corbin goes game 1 and Max comes back game 3

Nats are going to have a rough go at it. Stras going game 2 would be two days rest. If he can go Friday then they can get three games from their 1 and 2. Just not a good situation for them now.

If Nats can steal game 1 I could see them starting Sanchez game 2 and saving Stras and Scherzer for games 3 and 4

Yeah...October baseball is so much fun!
Bregxit
AG
PhatMack19 said:

See? It hit his hand first!
Buck Compton
AG
Yeah, I don't know how you say it necessarily hit one before the other.... it's like that old DVD screen saver icon when it would finally hit exactly in the corner. I think whatever the call on the field is would stand there - no definitive evidence.

Either way, what a back-breaking error in RF there. Season-ender. If that guy was in a Boston or Yankee uniform, he would never be safe again. Thankfully it's just Milwaukee.
Bregxit
AG
Buck Compton said:

Yeah, I don't know how you say it necessarily hit one before the other.... it's like that old DVD screen saver icon when it would finally hit exactly in the corner. I think whatever the call on the field is would stand there - no definitive evidence.

Either way, what a back-breaking error in RF there. Season-ender. If that guy was in a Boston or Yankee uniform, he would never be safe again. Thankfully it's just Milwaukee.

I'm just poking at him. I do think it hit the hand first based on how much energy was transferred to it but I agree, whichever way that one was called would stand.

Hopefully the RF can recover and it doesn't ruin him.
spadilly
S
That's a prime example of why you have to win your division and not get stuck in that one game wild card round.
Buck Compton
AG
spadilly said:

That's a prime example of why you have to win your division and not get stuck in that one game wild card round.
Yep, exactly. Did anyone that watched that game actually feel like WAS was the better team? I didn't. I felt like they escaped with one.

Avoid that game at all costs.

And I'll say it again, DON'T COUNT ON YOUR CLOSER FOR 2 INNINGS. I don't know how many people need to learn this lesson the hard way. It's a different mentality coming in in the 8th, and Hader was not himself there. He's also been run into the ground lately, so MIL wasn't going to win against LAD anyway.
astros4545
AG
agdaddy04 said:

AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

And THATS why you start Reddick in right field and not Tucker.

Why is that? Tucker is a better fielder than Josh

No, no he's not.

Exhibit A

rak1693
AG
I felt the same way that WAS escaped with one there. I wouldn't put it all on the RF because Hader was definitely off. Combination of both I guess. Crazy ending to a game though that just left me saying "wow"
Ag_07
AG
Counsel is a moron. Guy make Dave Roberts look like a Mensa member.

What they're trying to do with relying on a BP heavily and the way they run through their BP arms won't work. It's fine over 162 when you can rest guys for a couple days but when it comes to these playoff series it just doesn't work.
gougler08
AG
astros4545 said:

agdaddy04 said:

AggiEE said:

Prosperdick said:

And THATS why you start Reddick in right field and not Tucker.

Why is that? Tucker is a better fielder than Josh

No, no he's not.

Exhibit A

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but showing clips of his defense from years ago doesn't necessarily mean much now
Farmer1906
AG
That was 2014.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

That was 2014.
Yup because once you are in your 30's it's all downhill (FYI - he's three years younger than Verlander). Dude is only 32.
BMX Bandit
Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

That was 2014.
Yup because once you are in your 30's it's all downhill (FYI - he's three years younger than Verlander). Dude is only 32.

I don't have any opinion on whether Reddick or Tucker is better fielder, but I'm really hoping that they don't put Verlander in the outfield this series.
Prosperdick
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Prosperdick said:

Farmer1906 said:

That was 2014.

I don't have any opinion on whether Reddick or Tucker is better fielder, but I'm really hoping that they don't put Verlander in the outfield this series.
My point was Verlander is 35 and enjoying one of the best seasons of his career but hey, lets keep it to outfielders. I seem to recall Jim Edmonds terrorizing us in 2004 and costing us a trip to the World Series (I still can't believe he caught that laser by Ausmus). Jim was 34 at the time.
gigemJTH12
AG
was there any substance to the Bregman is the favorite to win the MVP now?

I cant find it anywhere
dshedd41
S
My brother was at the Nats/Brew Crew game with his gf, he said it was absolutely awesome
Gig’em Aggies!
BMX Bandit
So you switch from comparing our outfielders to a pitcher to comparing them to one of the greatest fielding outfielders of his generation?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say everyone here would take Jim Edmonds glove over either of our two guys

You've created a strawman of "he's in his 30s he can't play anymore " when no one has said anything like that.
JYDog90
AG
I'll be glad when the games start so y'all can shut up about the Tucker/Reddick stuff.

Of course it probably won't end then either.
Ag_07
AG
It'll never end.

Hell a conversation about a completely different game on the other side of the playoff bracket got panties in a wad and sparked the argument.
iBrad
AG
If Tucker doesn't make the roster, we won't have the daily debate about who to start. But every time Reddick makes an out, we'll definitely hear about it.
Harry Dunne
Reddick is still a good (maybe better?) fielder but Tucker is faster and can cover more ground. Tucker is also a good fielder he was a CF in the minors and all of the scouting reports praise his defense.

As an outfielder, the primary thing that separates you from another OF is how much ground you can cover. Brantley is a perfect example of this. He was a GG caliber OF who once went an entire season without making an error of any sort and has a great arm...But at this point he doesn't have much range and won't lay out for balls. Is he a bad fielder? Not at all - he has great hands and a great arm. He just doesn't have good range anymore.

One reason we are so bad at eyeballing defense is that when a faster OF gets to a ball routinely that a slower OF wouldn't, we assume it's an empirically "routine play". Inversely if a slower guy lays out for a ball and makes a "great catch" that a faster guy would have made routinely we consider it a "great play". Anyway, I think they are both good defensive OF.

TL;DR:I don't think there's that much separation between them defensively that it should even be a consideration until a late & close situation.
Marvin
AG
dshedd14 said:

My brother was at the Nats/Brew Crew game with his gf, he said it was absolutely awesome

It's a great stadium and the environment inside the park was amazing when we went over July 4th weekend. I might have even posted on here about how the fans around us were talking about making the playoffs- I think I laughed... shows what I know.

Anyway, outside the stadium reminded me of MMP but without the freeway next door. Just not much going on in the neighborhood.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Harry Dunne
willie wonka said:

I'll be glad when the games start so y'all can shut up about the Tucker/Reddick stuff.

Of course it probably won't end then either.
I know what you mean, it's really annoying when people discuss Astros topics on the Astros thread.

I think you're on the right track by just complaining about it.
tjack16
AG
Marvin said:

dshedd14 said:

It's a great stadium and the environment inside the park was amazing when we went over July 4th weekend. I might have even posted on here about how the fans around us were talking about making the playoffs- I think I laughed... shows what I know.

Anyway, outside the stadium reminded me of MMP but without the freeway next door. Just not much going on in the neighborhood.
we play there July 4th weekend next season... I'm thinking about making that trip
Andyzipp
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Reddick is still a good (maybe better?) fielder but Tucker is faster and can cover more ground. Tucker is also a good fielder he was a CF in the minors and all of the scouting reports praise his defense.

As an outfielder, the primary thing that separates you from another OF is how much ground you can cover. Brantley is a perfect example of this. He was a GG caliber OF who once went an entire season without making an error of any sort and has a great arm...But at this point he doesn't have much range and won't lay out for balls. Is he a bad fielder? Not at all - he has great hands and a great arm. He just doesn't have good range anymore.

One reason we are so bad at eyeballing defense is that when a faster OF gets to a ball routinely that a slower OF wouldn't, we assume it's an empirically "routine play". Inversely if a slower guy lays out for a ball and makes a "great catch" that a faster guy would have made routinely we consider it a "great play". Anyway, I think they are both good defensive OF.

TL;DR:I don't think there's that much separation between them defensively that it should even be a consideration until a late & close situation.

Just a point of order, but Tucker has played 5 games in CF since the close of the 2017 season. The organization seems to be focused on him as a corner outfielder.
Deluxe
AG
Reddick. The savvy vet. Jim Edmonds. Experience. HE'S OVERPAID THO. Slumps. Hot streaks. Swings for the fences. Makes plays at the fences. Too old? Ask Bartolo Colon. Playoff struggles? (2017 ALDS GAME 4!). Spiderman. Rick Flair Drip... Woo.

Tucker. The kid. The prodigy. TED (need I say more!?). What a swing! Defense too. LOOK AT THE GD DEFENSIVE METRICS. Sample sizes. Sample Sizes!?!?!? Range. Length. Speed. Have you seen his swing tho!? Quality September. The future. Future. Mask off. Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman.
Ag12thman
AG
Man, I'm fired up about this postseason. That was an awesome game 1 last night. Can't wait for Friday.
gigemJTH12
AG
last night was giving me anxiety.

I forget how tense each pitch of the playoffs is.

Mentally preparing for no sleep and or thoughts outside of the last game and the next game for the next month.

Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

Reddick. The savvy vet. Jim Edmonds. Experience. HE'S OVERPAID THO. Slumps. Hot streaks. Swings for the fences. Makes plays at the fences. Too old? Ask Bartolo Colon. Playoff struggles? (2017 ALDS GAME 4!). Spiderman. Rick Flair Drip... Woo.

Tucker. The kid. The prodigy. TED (need I say more!?). What a swing! Defense too. LOOK AT THE GD DEFENSIVE METRICS. Sample sizes. Sample Sizes!?!?!? Range. Length. Speed. Have you seen his swing tho!? Quality September. The future. Future. Mask off. Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman Jumpman.
I like it!

But really? Jim Edmonds? Jim Edmonds would crush Josh offensively and defensively.
Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

last night was giving me anxiety.

I forget how tense each pitch of the playoffs is.

Mentally preparing for no sleep and or thoughts outside of the last game and the next game for the next month.

This. So much this!
Deluxe
AG
Haha I was referring to an earlier poster who compared him to Edmonds
CFTXAG10
AG
It really kicked in when Hader was pitching the bottom of the 8th that this **** is for real. Obviously a different animal when its one game sudden death, but definitely a reminder that theres nothing quite like playoff baseball.

This is going to be hella-fun and nerve racking all at the same time.
Harry Dunne
Tucker is definitely a corner OF at the MLB level, IIRC he has played RF a bit this season while Reddick played CF and that tells you where they stand in AJ's mind. The only point in mentioning it is that you don't play CF in the high minors if you are a liability in the OF.
03_Aggie
CFTXAG10 said:

It really kicked in when Hader was pitching the bottom of the 8th that this **** is for real. Obviously a different animal when its one game sudden death, but definitely a reminder that theres nothing quite like playoff baseball.

This is going to be hella-fun and nerve racking all at the same time.

So glad they pulled it out in 2017. Alleviates some of the anxiety watching these things now. Still want to win them all but a little less "don't Houston/Aggie this thing up" now that they were able to put one in the books.
gigemJTH12
AG
I am in the market for tickets for Friday.

Not looking to buy right now though. They dropped quite a bit in the last day. I expect that to continue.

If you have any available though let me know and we may can work something out.
First Page Last Page
Page 1152 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.