***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,067 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
YNWA_AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought good tickets for the Friday 1 pm game against Cleveland last year for cheap day of
Farmer1906
AG
I believe SRO sold for $50 ea. They're now listed as low as $38 on stub hub.
tjack16
AG
waiting until the day of is probably smart for Friday. However the deeper into the playoffs you go... the harder it is to get good seats the day of.
bearkatag15
AG

What kind of haul could Hinch bring in?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Reddick is still a good (maybe better?) fielder but Tucker is faster and can cover more ground. Tucker is also a good fielder he was a CF in the minors and all of the scouting reports praise his defense.

As an outfielder, the primary thing that separates you from another OF is how much ground you can cover. Brantley is a perfect example of this. He was a GG caliber OF who once went an entire season without making an error of any sort and has a great arm...But at this point he doesn't have much range and won't lay out for balls. Is he a bad fielder? Not at all - he has great hands and a great arm. He just doesn't have good range anymore.

One reason we are so bad at eyeballing defense is that when a faster OF gets to a ball routinely that a slower OF wouldn't, we assume it's an empirically "routine play". Inversely if a slower guy lays out for a ball and makes a "great catch" that a faster guy would have made routinely we consider it a "great play". Anyway, I think they are both good defensive OF.

TL;DR:I don't think there's that much separation between them defensively that it should even be a consideration until a late & close situation.
Eric Barnes....dude was constantly making highlight plays but he just didnt have the range to make those plays routinely
tjack16
AG
All this Reddick vs Tucker talk.... geez

I'm just going to trust Hinch this postseason and I bet both guys have really good moments that help us bring home another ring
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

deGrom & Alonso. Make it happen.
CFTXAG10
AG
Farmer1906 said:

bearkatag15 said:

deGrom & Alonso. Make it happen.
Then hire Beltran to coach.
bearkatag15
AG
Correa is a gametime decision for Friday according to Lunhow

Farmer1906
AG
There is a noticeable difference in our defense and back of the line up without Correa. I really hope he figures it out. It's going to effect our roster composition. It means we'll be without Ted's bat, Straw's base running, or Jake's outfield defense in order to have Toro as a back up INF.
Prosperdick
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Correa is a gametime decision in perpetuity according to Lunhow

FIFY...
Teddy Perkins
AG
Good to hear how focused the guys are. I think we're going to see this team take it up a notch.
Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Thor, Stroman, DeGrom, Alonso and the Mets pay their salaries for 3 years.

All joking aside, I would trade Hinch for DeGrom and Alonso, and 3 years salary. Now you have your 1B for 3 years and another starter to go with JV and Greinke and LMJ. Yuli gets to spot start around the IF and DH, Alvarez is the full time DH and Tucker gets to be in RF.

HInch is a valuable commodity. He's worth 2 all stars. You want him, it costs.
Texaggie7nine
When is the last time coaching staff was part of a trade?
7nine
gigemJTH12
AG
can someone post the context of the hinch trade talk? I cant get the tweet to pull up
Ags #1
AG
Think google showed that chuck tanner was traded from A's to pirates for money and a catcher. Seems to have happened more recently with the NBA and NFL
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/intel-on-13-potential-replacements-for-mets-manager-mickey-callaway/310996638

Here is the article it is from. Its a breakdown of 13 manager options for the Mets with how they are connected to the job.
CFTXAG10
AG

Quote:

"Folks familiar with the situation say that Hinch might be ready for a new challenge"

Yea, winning sucks.
Marvin
AG
mathguy86 said:

HInch is a valuable commodity. He's worth 2 all stars. You want him, it costs.

Consider that this is in the realm of possibility:

Man, I don't know. One one hand, I think that managerial impact is generally overrated. AJ's strength to me is his ability to build relationships with each player. In that case, and in light of the amazing clubhouse, AJ might be the team's MVP. Are a couple of strong players stacked on top of an already lethal roster worth that risk? I'd say no... but I reserve the right to still whine and moan about getting "Hinched" in a loss or two. (haha)

If this were two years down the road and the team was in a bit of a roster transition, then I think it would make a lot more sense. Right now, don't look to fix what is not broken!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
bearkatag15
AG

When does the CFM album come out? Rooting for him big time tonight.
Mathguy64
AG
Great fangraphs article on AL Cy Young candidacies for JV, Cole, Morton and everyone else. As expected, it shows its clearly a 2 horse race. It makes a complicated argument for JV over Cole. Note: its very sabermetric.
Charlie Conway
CFTXAG10 said:

Quote:

"Folks familiar with the situation say that Hinch might be ready for a new challenge"

Yea, winning sucks.
Managing the Mets roster, getting **** on by NY media

>

managing future HOFers and perennial all stars when any slap dick could win 90+ games with the Astros roster
Harry Dunne
Texaggie7nine said:

When is the last time coaching staff was part of a trade?
Not sure if this was the last time, but John Farrell was traded by the Blue Jays to the Red Sox along with some inconsequential players on both sides before the 2013 season. Red Sox won the 2013 WS and Farrell was AL Manager of the Year.

The biggest haul I could find in return for any recent manager trade was the Mariners trading Lou Piniella to TB for Randy Winn, who was 28 and coming of a 5.3 WAR All-star season in CF.

In both of those cases, the managers in question wanted to go specifically where they ended up before the trade talks were initiated.

AJ is good but who knows what he's worth? I can't see him wanting to go to NY, but if he did I wouldn't be that heartbroken if we got an All-star caliber player in return.
Ag_07
AG
So the Mets didn't want to trade Thor to a team like the Astros who were more advanced than they are but now they think AJ Hinch (one of the most advanced managers in the game) would want to come manage for them.

GTFOH with that ish
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Are MLB managerial contracts that much stricter than any other coaches contract? Seems like just about anywhere else if you want to move you take the new contract and pay any consequences if need be...
BMX Bandit
cpsencik04 said:

Are MLB managerial contracts that much stricter than any other coaches contract? Seems like just about anywhere else if you want to move you take the new contract and pay any consequences if need be...

Which league you referring to? Happens in college, but in professional the team can block you from coaching elsewhere

Mr President Elect
AG
Harry Dunne said:

AJ is good but who knows what he's worth? I can't see him wanting to go to NY, but if he did I wouldn't be that heartbroken if we got an All-star caliber player in return.
Ehh... Our roster is stacked enough. I really enjoy listening to AJ speak to the media / team. For a job any idiot can do, that is all I really care about out of the manager position. Remembering back to when we had Phil Garner and how painful some of his press conferences / media appearences were to listen to.

Unless it is Alonso or Thor, gtfo.
bearkatag15
AG

Don't see how that would work. Resigning Cole and staying under the competitive tax number unless Cole gives a discount or it's heavily back loaded
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
As discussed in the past you cant back load a contract in terms of the competitive balance....it takes the whole contract and averages it out.
bearkatag15
AG
cpsencik04 said:

As discussed in the past you cant back load a contract in terms of the competitive balance....it takes the whole contract and averages it out.
Thanks. Missed that discussion.
JDUB08AG
AG
Considering Cole is a big players union guy, I don't see him taking a discount.
Beat40
One of the things I think about when players sign contracts for the most amount of money out there is if they end up regretting it down the line.

Most of the time, at least in baseball, the team paying you the most amount of money isn't a great team.

I look at a guy like Trout. I don't blame him one bit for taking that deal, but do you think he ends up regretting it if the Angels are never good enough to win a WS or much less make it deep into the postseason?

Do you think at the end of his career if the Angels never win a WS or make a deep postseason run that he will wish he might have accepted less money on a more competitive team? I get you can't tell the future, but I think you can tell how the direction of an organization and ask yourself if you really want to be tied to that.
Mr.Ackar07
bearkatag15 said:

Don't see how that would work. Resigning Cole and staying under the competitive tax number unless Cole gives a discount or it's heavily back loaded
Just as long as Correa's back is not heavily loaded.
Farmer1906
AG
Just like we weren't signing Harper last year, we're not signing Cole. Enjoy him while he's here. We can't pay everyone. We haven't given a long term contract to anyone outside of Altuve (hard to count Bregman since we controlled him already for most of it.)
KC_Ag14
AG
Think it's best we just enjoy the time we have left with Cole in blue & orange. He helps us get #2, and I'll be happy to let him create someone else's payroll issue and welcome back LMJ.
First Page Last Page
Page 1153 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.