***** Official Houston Astros 2019 Season Thread *****

6,847,870 Views | 74452 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PSully97
rossuvet12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TREX01 said:

Where can we get the full audio of sparky?

This please!
BTKAG97
AG
mathguy86 said:

Yankees have 5 left, all on the road. 2 @ TB and 3 at the end @ Arlington. I wouldn't be shocked to see them split with TB and lose 1 on Arlington. Even if we go 4-2 the rest of the way they have to go 5-0.
Agree, I thnk they lose one in Tampa, but Tuesday's starter on for the Rays is terribad, so hope Morton is his dominate self.

Lynn and Allard could pull some upsets next weekend though.

And the Dodgers close the year against Bumgarner.
CFTXAG10
AG
TREX01 said:

Where can we get the full audio of sparky?

rossuvet12
AG
Thank you
astros4545
AG
"Altuve is dancing around like a little boy"

To Cole "when you're on the mound, you've got this scowl like you want to rip my wife's head off"
Silent For Too Long
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

How do Reddicks playoff stats compare to Tucker's playoff stats?

I'm listening

We've tried to explain it to you over and over and if you can't understand it by now then it's no one else's fault but your own.

Deluxe just made an excellent post on this subject above.

Reddick is basically a black hole in the lineup and we will win in spite of him like we've done in playoff games in the past.

I'd rather insert a guy hitting .313 with a near .900 OPS to bat 8th to be another threat for the opposing team rather than somebody whose performance nearly all year has been awful.

It's really not hard to understand. And if Tucker ends up under performing the downside is basically the same as the expected performance of Reddick

I get why people are excited about Tucker and want him to have a chance to shine in the playoffs, but some of ya'lls takes on Reddick are absurd.

He's hitting .274 on the season. That's a little better then George World Series MVP's career average.

He was very bad in the middle if the season. No question. He also was very good for the first 2 months and has been pretty good for 3 to 4 weeks now.

Again, I totally get where ya'll are coming from on the Tucker angle, but let's keep things in perspective. If Reddick is the worst bat in our lineup, I'm pretty sure he's the best worst bat in baseball.

I think his wrc+ is still floating around 100. This isnt Mendoza we are talking about.
lead
^I think we all remember how bad he stinks it up during the playoffs
Farmer1906
AG
His wRC+ is 91. He's 9% worse than the average player. .273 isn't a bad average at all. It's above league average by 20 points. However, average doesn't tell the whole story. He's a singles hitter that doesn't walk. It isn't some unlucky streak. He's doing about how he's expected. Normally, to have a guy like this in the 8 or 9 hole isn't an issue. But we have a readily available option on the bench that appears to be an upgrade.
TREX01
Not every playoff season is equal. The history of baseball is littered with guys who struggled in the playoffs for years then had there one year of greatness. Pat Borders was a World Series mvp. Let that sink in. Barry Bonds was a horrific playoff performer early in his career. Josh is our starter, plain and simple. If Tucker were to get white hot that could change but it's unlikely
AggiEE
Silent For Too Long said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm listening

We've tried to explain it to you over and over and if you can't understand it by now then it's no one else's fault but your own.

Reddick is basically a black hole in the lineup and we will win in spite of him like we've done in playoff games in the past.

I'd rather insert a guy hitting .313 with a near .900 OPS to bat 8th to be another threat for the opposing team rather than somebody whose performance nearly all year has been awful.

It's really not hard to understand. And if Tucker ends up under performing the downside is basically the same as the expected performance of Reddick

I get why people are excited about Tucker and want him to have a chance to shine in the playoffs, but some of ya'lls takes on Reddick are absurd.

He's hitting .274 on the season. That's a little better then George World Series MVP's career average.

He was very bad in the middle if the season. No question. He also was very good for the first 2 months and has been pretty good for 3 to 4 weeks now.

Again, I totally get where ya'll are coming from on the Tucker angle, but let's keep things in perspective. If Reddick is the worst bat in our lineup, I'm pretty sure he's the best worst bat in baseball.

I think his wrc+ is still floating around 100. This isnt Mendoza we are talking about.

The average isn't impressive when you consider his low walks and poor slugging.

Bregman was batting below his average a good chunk of the season, but Bregman walks a ton and hits for power.

There's worse things to have than Josh Reddick batting 8th or 9th, but I get the feeling that some people are not using logic when they get defensive about the conversation of Tucker starting over him.

Sure. He's a dude with long hair that likes Spider-Man and has a Woo following, Tucker looks like a deer. But I'd much rather have Tucker at the plate with his what he's shown so far this year.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but the lineup can be changed between series correct? So even if we did leave tucker off for the first round, if Reddick went out and went 1-20 or something like that, we could always add Ted for the next round, correct?
Mathguy64
AG
Yes. Each series can have its own series.

14 hitters and 12 pitchers. Jake, Diaz, Machete are in for sure. I think the other two spots are Tucker and Toro. Straw doesn't make it. And that's only 2 catchers and we all know they like to carry 3 in the playoffs.
Buck Compton
AG
mathguy86 said:

Yes. Each series can have its own series.

14 hitters and 12 pitchers. Jake, Diaz, Machete are in for sure. I think the other two spots are Tucker and Toro. Straw doesn't make it. And that's only 2 catchers and we all know they like to carry 3 in the playoffs.
They won't carry 3 catchers, IMO.

I also have trouble believing they'll leave Straw's late game speed off the roster. To me, either Tucker or Toro has to be left out.
Mathguy64
AG
I don't think they will carry a third catcher either at least in the ALDS. Straw's problem is he is really overmatched as a hitter compared to Toro and Tucker and Tucker is just as fast.
Mr President Elect
AG
I am not sure where Toro would get PT barring an injury. Even then Diaz would be the one to fill in. Probably would only pinch hit once per game max (for the catcher) and that would go to either Tucker (assuming he makes it) or Diaz. At least with Straw you have a defined role for him.
Mr President Elect
AG
mathguy86 said:

and Tucker is just as fast.

I don't believe this... not at all.
Farmer1906
AG
He's not. But he's a better base runner.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
willjohnathan said:

I am not sure where Toro would get PT barring an injury. Even then Diaz would be the one to fill in. Probably would only pinch hit once per game max (for the catcher) and that would go to either Tucker (assuming he makes it) or Diaz. At least with Straw you have a defined role for him.

If it is an injury that would knock the player out can't you drop the injured player and replace them? That the only way Toro is on this team in my view
astros4545
AG
I think Toro lost his chance as soon as Diaz came back and has been producing after injury

He was insurance for Diaz/Correa
Bregxit
AG
TREX01 said:

Not every playoff season is equal. The history of baseball is littered with guys who struggled in the playoffs for years then had there one year of greatness. Pat Borders was a World Series mvp. Let that sink in. Barry Bonds was a horrific playoff performer early in his career. Josh is our starter, plain and simple. If Tucker were to get white hot that could change but it's unlikely
Yep. Josh Reddick's postseason career is equal to two hall of famers named Biggio and Bagwell. Would we think of leaving them off the roster ever in the postseason?
Philip J Fry
AG
AggiEE said:

Silent For Too Long said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

I'm listening

The average isn't impressive when you consider his low walks and poor slugging.

Bregman was batting below his average a good chunk of the season, but Bregman walks a ton and hits for power.

There's worse things to have than Josh Reddick batting 8th or 9th, but I get the feeling that some people are not using logic when they get defensive about the conversation of Tucker starting over him.

Sure. He's a dude with long hair that likes Spider-Man and has a Woo following, Tucker looks like a deer. But I'd much rather have Tucker at the plate with his what he's shown so far this year.

Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

TREX01 said:

Yep. Josh Reddick's postseason career is equal to two hall of famers named Biggio and Bagwell. Would we think of leaving them off the roster ever in the postseason?

Does Josh Reddick have a HOF career?
ontheedge
Farmer1906 said:

Bregxit said:

TREX01 said:

Does Josh Reddick have a HOF career?
Nope, but he will be on the playoff roster.
Farmer1906
AG
Obviously
Teddy Perkins
AG
Straw, Tucker, and Diaz are making it over Toro, IMO.

The bigger question is whether Urquidy gets the start over Miley in a game 4.
Buck Compton
AG
I also think Toro is the odd man out with Diaz back in shape and producing.

That being said, you Tucker fanboys need to understand how ridiculous you sound when you say things like Tucker is just as fast as Straw. Straw is elite-level speed (Top 10 in the MLB) and Tucker may not be top 5 on our team. Straw won't take a meaningful playoff AB for us barring injury or a freak long extra inning game. But he will pinch run, and likely do so effectively.

We all want him to succeed, and he has made marked improvement since last year, but he's not perfect. He is improving defensively to close that gap, and has fixed some holes in his looping swing, but still has a few holes left and doesn't work counts at all. He's going to be a hell of a player for us, but don't make ridiculous claims.
CoachRTM
AG
Tucker has played well enough to make Reddick's fairly expensive contract expendable for next year... so we can try and pay Springer and/or Cole

That's about as far as I'll go on Tucker right now.
CoachRTM
AG
6 games left.

0.5 games up on Yankees (we own tiebreaker)
2 games up on the Dodgers (we own tiebreaker)

All 3 teams are off today.

Schedule remaining :
Astros (2@SEA, 4@LAA)
Yankees (2@TB, 3@TEX)
Dodgers (3@SD, 3@SF)
Ag_07
AG
TB is currently tied with CLE for the 2nd WC spot so Yanks playing a team fighting for the playoff spot certainly bodes well for us.
Phrasing
AG
We have two against Seattle and then 4 against Angels.
tjack16
AG
anybody seen the face value for postseason tickets yet? Usually they post a diagram that maps out prices for each series
Teddy Perkins
AG
CoachRTM said:

Tucker has played well enough to make Reddick's fairly expensive contract expendable for next year... so we can try and pay Springer and/or Cole

That's about as far as I'll go on Tucker right now.
I doubt any team is going to agree to take over all of Reddick's 13M next year. The Astros are going to have to eat some of that and they may decide that doing so isn't worth it.
bearkatag15
AG
Jake Kaplan projects the 25-man roster. Notable missing is Toro for Straw. Also has Urquidy as a starting pitcher and Miley in the pen.

Starting pitchers (4)

RHP Justin Verlander
RHP Gerrit Cole
RHP Zack Greinke
RHP Jose Urquidy

Relief pitchers (7)

RHP Roberto Osuna
RHP Ryan Pressly
RHP Will Harris
RHP Josh James
LHP Wade Miley
RHP Joe Smith
RHP Brad Peacock

Catchers (2)

Robinson Chirinos
Martn Maldonado

Infielders (5)

1B Yuli Gurriel
2B Jose Altuve
3B Alex Bregman
SS Carlos Correa
1B/3B/2B Aledmys Daz

Outfielders (6)

LF Michael Brantley (L)
CF George Springer
RF Josh Reddick (L)
CF Jake Marisnick
CF/LF/RF Myles Straw
LF/RF Kyle Tucker (L)

Designated hitters (1)

Yordan Alvarez (L)
Farmer1906
AG
I can't us have 6/7 OF and 5 IF. Can someone tell me what role Jake plays on the playoff roster? He could pitch run, but you'd pick Straw or Tucker over him. He could pitch hit, but you'd pick Diaz or Tucker over him. He's never starting. He can't play IF. Defensive CF "closer" is not enough of a role to make the postseason roster. I'd have Toro over him.
Andyzipp
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Jake Kaplan projects the 25-man roster. Notable missing is Toro for Straw. Also has Urquidy as a starting pitcher and Miley in the pen.

Starting pitchers (4)

RHP Justin Verlander
RHP Gerrit Cole
RHP Zack Greinke
RHP Jose Urquidy

Relief pitchers (7)

RHP Roberto Osuna
RHP Ryan Pressly
RHP Will Harris
RHP Josh James
LHP Wade Miley
RHP Joe Smith
RHP Brad Peacock

I wonder if this is just Kaplan guessing, or if the Astros are going to let Urquidy go past his innings limit for the post season. Hinch had said last week that they wouldn't do that, but...

Also, if Miley can't start because he has the yips (or whatever his effing problem is) what's the point of even putting him on the post season roster? Put Abreu on there instead.
First Page Last Page
Page 1084 of 2128

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.