General MLB news thread 2017

16,976 Views | 182 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by . . .
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ag_07 said:

Bet he still makes the AS team
oh for sure. what it does do is open the AL MVP race up.
WoMD
astros4545 said:

Jeff Smardjzia crashing into his own teammates

He was lined up get get a clean shot at Harper and would have laid him out. Michael Morse literally saved harper's pretty face.
96ags
AG
I guess Posey didn't want to hurt his precious little face. He didn't even attempt to protect his pitcher.

gougler08
AG
Didn't look like his pitcher needed much protection
Johnsy3
AG
96ags said:

I guess Posey didn't want to hurt his precious little face. He didn't even attempt to protect his pitcher.

Dude has concussion issues and probably didn't agree with Strickland's decision. He also seems like the kinda guy who never gets riled up over anything
96ags
AG
Johnsy3 said:

96ags said:

Dude has concussion issues and probably didn't agree with Strickland's decision. He also seems like the kinda guy who never gets riled up over anything
Agree or not, that is his job.
TXAggie2011
AG
96ags said:

Sometimes when your teammate asks for something, you let him have it.
AggieKO
AG
That fight was just so odd. None of the giants did anything until the benches cleared. And Madbum looked disappointed it wasn't him that threw the pitch.
toucan82
Posey was probably pissed that he's going to get beaned for some **** that has nothing to do with him
CampingAg
AG
I didn't have a dog in that fight, but boy I wish Bryce would've connected with the helmet. Just for the chaos that would've ensued.
jkag89
TXAggie2011 said:

96ags said:

This exactly. Why should Posey risk injury due to his pitcher's stupidity? If this was a matter of Harper overreacting to a pitch that simply got away it would be a different story. As it is Posey and all the rest of the Giants should have let Strickland suffer the consequence of his own foolishness.
96ags
AG
jkag89 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

96ags said:

This exactly. Why should Posey risk injury due to his pitcher's stupidity? If this was a matter of Harper overreacting to a pitch that simply got away it would be a different story. As it is Posey and all the rest of the Giants should have let Strickland suffer the consequence of his own foolishness.
If Posey is that damn fragile then he should probably wear a bubble. If he gets in front of Harper like catchers have done forever, Harper probably never gets to the mound.
. . .
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/buster-posey-bryce-harper-hunter-strickland-brawl-san-francisco-giants-washington-nationals-ken-rosenthal-053017

Quote:

What if Giants reliever Hunter Strickland told Posey that he was going to drill the Nationals' Bryce Harper and that Posey should not intervene if Harper charged the mound, not try to prevent a fight?

A coach with another club reached out to me and relayed that theory after I posted my original column on Posey late Monday night, a column that examined the catcher's decision to stand frozen behind the plate as Harper went after Strickland.

I then contacted a source with knowledge of the situation, and he said that the rival coach's theory was correct. Posey, the source said, was drawing unfair criticism for failing to defend his teammate when in reality he was adhering to his teammate's or perhaps manager Bruce Bochy's wishes.

Giants broadcaster Mike Krukow, according to reports on Twitter, said on KNBR Radio on Tuesday morning that Posey is under an order to "stay out" of fights, but did not say who issued the order.

If such an order exists, or if it Strickland in this case made the request of Posey, not all of the Giants were aware of it. One Giant, when I asked if the players were OK with Posey not standing up for Strickland, seemed torn by Posey's actions, unsure of what to think. He made no mention of any agreement between the two.
Quote:

Posey told reporters that his recent concussions were not the reason for his inaction, but acknowledged the risk of injury, saying, "Those were some big guys tumbling around. (Michael) Morse was in there. As big as he is, he was getting knocked around like a pinball."
Quote:

Perhaps we'll never know why he reacted the way he did. But the questions will linger, whether he was a party to a teammate's retaliation or a conscientious objector.
jkag89
We simply disagree, possibly due to your seeming dislike of Posey. Explain to me why any player must join the fray due the absolute stupidity and in this case spineless action of a teammate? Tradition? IMO it is the umpires job to try to head off such confrontations in hopes of keeping those involved to a minimum not other players on the field.
txag614
Strickland got what he wanted. He wanted Harper to come at him.
96ags
AG
jkag89 said:

We simply disagree, possibly due to your seeming dislike of Posey. Explain to me why any player must join the fray due the absolute stupidity and in this case spinelessness action of a teammate? Tradition? IMO it is the umpires job to try to head off such confrontations in hopes of keeping those involved to a minimum not other players on the field.
I agree, we just simply disagree.

I'll leave the emotion of whether the pitch was warranted or not out of the argument (I happen to believe that it wasn't). However, I simply believe a player is suppose to have his teammates back on the field. Especially in the pitcher/catcher relationship.

There are plenty of ways to handle Strickland in the locker room, but on the field I believe the catcher is suppose to step up that situation.

I've sure never heard Posey speak out against teammates when they plunk somebody on his behalf i.e. Goldschmidt.
Goose
AG
I have no idea who the Giants' backup is at Catcher, but I'd bet it's a huge step down from Buster Posey. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bochy had a standing order for Posey to avoid these types of things to avoid injury.
Farmer1906
AG
Goose said:

I have no idea who the Giants' backup is at Catcher, but I'd bet it's a huge step down from Buster Posey. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bochy had a standing order for Posey to avoid these types of things to avoid injury.

All other catchers are a huge step down.
jkag89
Quote:

However, I simply believe a player is suppose to have his teammates back on the field. Especially in the pitcher/catcher relationship.
I understand your position but the pitcher/catcher relationship is a two way deal, IMO it was unfair of Strickland to put Posey in such a situation.
96ags
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

However, I simply believe a player is suppose to have his teammates back on the field. Especially in the pitcher/catcher relationship.
I understand your position but the pitcher/catcher relationship is a two way deal, IMO it was unfair of Strickland to put Posey in such a situation.
That is a very fair point.
04.arch.ag
AG
Would be funny if the nationals ear hole every Giants pitcher that takes an AB.
. . .
AP: Jeb "no longer interested" in buying Marlins

Barry Jackson(@FLASportsBuzz) said:

Am told Jeter group still pursuing Marlins without bush. Jeter would be control person.

Jeb Bush had less than $20M of own money in deal, per MLB source So Jeter group loses nothing meaningful without him.

...issue arose in recent days about whether Jeb could still be control person, or Managing Partner, with such little invested. So Jeb exits.

So Jeter/Bush group continues bidding without Bush but Marlins believe Jeter and Tagg Romney most viable bidders.
TXAggie2011
AG
I wish $20 million wasn't meaningful in my life.
bigjag19
AG
Posey had the jr high gym coach reaction when somebody they don't like gets beat up. Classic.
LawHall88
LawHall88
AG
. . .

The Anchor
AG
4 games for throwing your helmet at someone? Geez....must be nice to be MLB's golden goose. I realize he missed horribly, but he sure was throwing it at the pitcher.
John 14:6
PatAg
AG
jkag89 said:

We simply disagree, possibly due to your seeming dislike of Posey. Explain to me why any player must join the fray due the absolute stupidity and in this case spineless action of a teammate? Tradition? IMO it is the umpires job to try to head off such confrontations in hopes of keeping those involved to a minimum not other players on the field.
If he did what catchers normally do, Posey never gets to the mound and their is no fray.

Unless he was told to let him run.

I hope they drill Harper first at bat, you dont take your helmet with you.
PatAg
AG
I also dont understand the pitcher getting a bigger suspension when Harper took a weapon with him on the charge
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Strickland threw at the guy over a beef about events several years ago and started the whole thing. I'd have given him more than six.
TXAggie2011
AG
Not saying I would have a big problem with equal suspensions, Harper should not have thrown his helmet, but recall the pitcher did throw something too, a fastball at Harper.

They're definitely pinging Strickland for inciting the whole thing (and being a chicken*****)
bigcat22
AG
i bet Harper was a little sore this morning, that fastball was 98mph, ouch. Also a bullsh move by the pitcher, so what the guy hit two bombs off you 3 years ago, you won the series and got the ring that year.
titanmaster_race
PatAg said:

I also dont understand the pitcher getting a bigger suspension when Harper took a weapon with him on the charge

Strickland threw a 'weapon' too
Ag_07
AG
You all thinking Harper threw the helmet at him are nuts.

If we wanted to throw it at him he would've pegged him. Hell if wanted to use it as a weapon he would've held on to it and beaten him with it.

The threw it out of anger no where near the guy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.