***** 2019-2020 San Antonio Spurs *****

125,213 Views | 1463 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DP
Aggie_3
Anyone else watching the scrimmage with the pacers?
West Texan
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Anyone else watching the scrimmage with the pacers?

Yep. First one I've gotten to watch.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Appear to be scoring by committee. Any of the young guys in particularly looking good?
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Appear to be scoring by committee. Any of the young guys in particularly looking good?

It was a pretty balanced effort, but the biggest thing that stood out to me is how they took care of the ball. In the first two scrimmages (which I didn't get to watch), we had 20+ turnovers in each. Only 12 today, and that starts with Derrick, Dejounte, and Lonnie since they've been our primary ball handlers. Derrick was pretty quiet offensively today but had a ton of really nice defensive plays. DJ and Lonnie both played some solid D and did a good job of picking their spots on O and not forcing anything. DJ struggled shooting, but Lonnie was pretty efficient, just wish he'd me more assertive and demand the ball more. Lonnie's play making is really coming along. He had 4 assists and made several nice passes and had 0 turnovers. Keldon looked really good. His effort and physicality is something this team needs. He defends really well, and attacks the basket and finishes through contact like a veteran. He needs to work on his jumper though because he's got a slow release. He got one 3 blocked (fouled so he shot free throws) and was hesitant to let it fly on several other where I wish he'd have let it fly instead of driving into traffic. Still really excited about him though.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Great news.

I kind of feel bad for Forbes. The whole fan base (myself included) just craps on him. But honestly it's the coach's fault for giving him such a large role. He should be a spot shooter off of the bench that should play no more than 15 mins a game. And that's not fault of his own. He's done the most with the physical limitations he has.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Nola just lost.
Enzo The Baker
AG
According to Woj, the Kings had a player with inconclusive COVID test results on Wednesday. They have since tested negative twice. We play the Kings tonight. Fingers crossed.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

According to Woj, the Kings had a player with inconclusive COVID test results on Wednesday. They have since tested negative twice. We play the Kings tonight. Fingers crossed.

Game day bala

...hopefully
West Texan
AG
43 point 1st quarter
Aggie_3
Great great 1st quarter!
Sports-Ag
AG
Definitely a different tempo with the young guys playing. A high scoring game so far but expect it with two young teams who don't play good defense.
West Texan
AG
Some different looks defensively today. Lots of zone, including some full court zone press. Not something you see very often at the nba level.
West Texan
AG
Also seen Rudy Gay playing the 5 multiple times now.
Aggie_3
And we suck again
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs win. 129-120
West Texan
AG
Big win
azul_rain
MORE
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Enzo The Baker
AG
Big win for the young guns.

For supposedly being a good defender, DeJounte looked like ass tonight. I'm not sold on that guy at all. And it's even more clear that white should have been starting all year.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Big win for the young guns.

For supposedly being a good defender, DeJounte looked like ass tonight. I'm not sold on that guy at all. And it's even more clear that white should have been starting all year.

Dejounte is a better off ball defender than he is guarding the primary ball handler. Fox definitely torched him, but he got the best of pretty much everyone that tried to defend him.

Derrick White: 26 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, and 5 charges taken! Even got a chipped tooth on his last charge, but sacrificed his body and made plays all night.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea fox did get the best out of everyone. But DJ was so out of position it was inexcusable for the type of player he is supposed to be on that end. I still don't know what DJ is. Honestly, if we could trade our first rounder with DJ to move up the draft to get a player we really covet, I would do it in a heartbeat. I get that he just came back from and injury but I'm not the biggest fan. His offensive game is still really bad.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yea fox did get the best out of everyone. But DJ was so out of position it was inexcusable for the type of player he is supposed to be on that end. I still don't know what DJ is. Honestly, if we could trade our first rounder with DJ to move up the draft to get a player we really covet, I would do it in a heartbeat. I get that he just came back from and injury but I'm not the biggest fan. His offensive game is still really bad.

With Keldon emerging and showing that he obviously belongs, that gives us 4 young guards to try and find playing time for. I think moving forward you have to move at least one of those guys, and it very well could me Dejounte.
Cappo
AG
Aggie_3 said:

And we suck again
This didn't go well
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

With Keldon emerging and showing that he obviously belongs, that gives us 4 young guards to try and find playing time for. I think moving forward you have to move at least one of those guys, and it very well could me Dejounte.

I feel like as the game is becoming more and more positionless having four guards/wingy guys isn't the issue. I think the problem is the fit. We need an outside shooter with size badly. I'd even take a 3 and D guy. I'm sick of the mid range BS.

Speaking of which, I went nuts when DeRozan hit a 3 last night. Until I realized it was a 2 because he couldn't get his feet behind the line. No hope for that guy. Haha
Aggie_3
Cappo said:

Aggie_3 said:

And we suck again
This didn't go well

It had its correct affect
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I feel like as the game is becoming more and more positionless having four guards/wingy guys isn't the issue. I think the problem is the fit. We need an outside shooter with size badly. I'd even take a 3 and D guy. I'm sick of the mid range BS.

Speaking of which, I went nuts when DeRozan hit a 3 last night. Until I realized it was a 2 because he couldn't get his feet behind the line. No hope for that guy. Haha

You're correct that it's not that they're all 4 guards, it's that they're all the same size at 6'5". Like you said, we need to add size to the wings. Even with as good defensively as each of those guys are, they start getting outmatched against the better teams that have bigger players. We matched up really well last night against the kings because they play pretty small as well.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree with the size, although KJs frame is not a typical 6'5". His proportions and length are those of a taller player. I really think he has a short neck.
Enzo The Baker
AG
KJ does so much of the stuff that doesn't show up in a box score. Exactly the spark plug we need. Love this kid.
West Texan
AG
Missed the first quarter, but the defense looks a little better today. Refs are allowing some really physical play out there and it's gotten a little chippy a couple times.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Defense does look better today. I would think Memphis would try to exploit their size more in the second half.
West Texan
AG
That alley oop from Morant to Brandon Clark with the dunk over Eubanks was dirty!

Then Drew comes back on the other end and put a grizz player on a poster!
Enzo The Baker
AG
Gay looks like a freaking rookie out there. That guy just doesn't have it between the ears.
West Texan
AG
And all of the sudden we can't get anything to fall and Memphis comes back to take the lead.
Enzo The Baker
AG
This is not how you tank!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.