***** 2019-2020 San Antonio Spurs *****

124,808 Views | 1463 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Enzo The Baker
2008and1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dejounte is back.
DeMar in year 2.
Becky moving up the bench.
Pop for 3 more years.
We have a Luka.

Let's Go!!!
West Texan
2008and1
AG

Well he's a confident sob
Enzo The Baker
AG
2008and1 said:

I like it.
West Texan
AG
Dream big Luka.
flashplayer
AG
Watch Keldon one up him and say now Jordan. But all the time Kobe. Lol.
s13fenton
Cappo
AG
Need Dejounte to be a monster
West Texan
AG
Utah summer league runs July 1-3 then Vegas summer league will go the 5-15. Usually the ESPN app will show most of the games, for anyone else that has severe basketball withdrawals like me.
aggieactor01
Enzo The Baker
AG

Utah summer league runs July 1-3 then Vegas summer league will go the 5-15. Usually the ESPN app will show most of the games, for anyone else that has severe basketball withdrawals like me.
Guitarsoup
AG
GSG
Guitarsoup
AG
2008and1 said:

If he could be 75% of prime Kirilenko, I'd be thrilled
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs will also play in Salt Lake City. All games on NBA TV.

July 1st vs Cavs - 6PM
July 2nd vs Grizz - 6PM
July 3rd vs Jazz - 8PM
jteagle
AG
That jump shot looks pretty good here.

West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

That jump shot looks pretty good here.

If Dejounte can become just league average from 3, it'll make him and our offense soooo much more lethal.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm curious to see how DJ, White, and DeMar will coexist. All three kind of need a ball to be most effective. White has the most potential to play off ball as his outside shot is decent and shooting the three is one of his off-season priorities. DeMar is gonna be DeMar and will be limited to inside the arc.

DeJounte is the big question mark IMO. He can get to the lane effectively but isn't a great finisher. If he perfected that and was able to competently make the Bowen three, it would open up a lot. To me it makes most since having either DJ or White come in with our second group. But again, it's all dependent on DJ's development.
TyHolden
AG
Murray and white could be an awesome tandem on the court. Lots of potential there.
Ag Natural
AG
Hearing Luka is a draft and stash.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Hmm. Where did you hear that? He and RC said otherwise unless something has changed. Looks like he's in SA now. Likely for player introduction sometime this week.
flashplayer
AG
I could see them asking him to spend a year in Euroleague if they're confident in landing a forward at the MLE this summer that merits significant minutes.

Between Aldridge/ Bertans and Gay / FA acquisition with Derozan playing some SF minutes that doesn't leave many development minutes for Luka. But I still figured they'd bring him over for depth, so that's a little surprising if true.
Enzo The Baker
AG
flashplayer said:

I could see them asking him to spend a year in Euroleague if they're confident in landing a forward at the MLE this summer that merits significant minutes.

Between Aldridge/ Bertans and Gay / FA acquisition with Derozan playing some SF minutes that doesn't leave many development minutes for Luka. But I still figured they'd bring him over for depth, so that's a little surprising if true.

Yea I definitely don't see him getting minutes regardless. But it seems like we would have better resources for development for skill and strength. But if we don't have to pay him then I don't think it would hurt keeping him over there a bit longer. The main thing is that he continues to get a lot of playing time whether it's in the G league or Euroleague.
West Texan
AG
Looking at the roster for next year, and there are some holes that we're all aware of. We've got too many guards, not enough size or defense on the wings, not enough shooting, and some real spacing issues with our best players trying to share the floor. The good news is we'll get Dejounte Murray back, we've got several young guys that show a lot of promise, we're still a solid team in a wide open west, and we should be able to build for the future without having to go full into a full on tank job. So looking at the roster for next year:

Guards
Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Patty Mills
Lonnie Walker
Bryn Forbes
Marco Belinelli

Wings
DeMar Derozan
Rudy Gay (expected to resign)
Keldon Johnson

Stretch 4s
Davis Bertans
Luka Samanic

Bigs
Lamarcus Aldridge
Jakob Poeltl

Free Agents
Rudy Gay (already included in next year's roster)
Dante Cunningham
Quincy Pondexter
Chimezie Metu
Donatas Montiejunas
Drew Eubanks (two way contract)
Ben Moore (two way contract)

-Of the guys that aren't on contract for next year, Rudy is the only one that I feel confident that he'll be back. Maybe Metu if PATFO thinks they still see some upside in him, but he still won't really factor into the big team's plans for next season regardless. Montiejunas could potentially be brought back as the 3rd big, but grand scheme of things won't really matter. No clue what will happen with Eubanks or Moore, and Pondexter and Cunningham I expect to be gone.

-In theory, Samanic and Keldon Johnson both fill the biggest holes on our roster. A big that can switch on the perimeter and stretch the floor offensively, and a 3 and D wing. However, they're both 19 and regardless if they spend next season in Europe in Austin, they're probably not ready to really contribute to the big team yet (although I could see Johnson actually carving out a nice backup role if he picks up defensive rotations).

-We have to sign a big wing defender that can switch on the perimeter, guard small ball 4s, and knock down spot up 3s at a decent rate. Someone that doesn't have to have the ball in their hands and can play next to Derozan and Lamarcus. Rudy Gay filled this role nicely last season, but he's also gotta play the 3 some and we need another strong body in there. Bertans isn't quick enough to be a SF and gets bullied down low by 4s. Denver really exposed Davis in the playoffs this year.

-We need a 3rd true big man to eat up regular season minutes. Aldridge can play the 4 or the 5 (mostly the 5 as he ages and the leagues gets more guard oriented), Poeltl was a very solid defender and rebounder for us last season, just need some insurance. Montiejunas could be brought back for this role, maybe Metu if he bulked up.

-Guard is the one spot we don't need any outside help at and the improvement here will come from getting guys back from injury and player development. Murray, White, and Walker are the future at the position and you don't want to take minutes away from those guys. Forbes is also young and has carved out a really nice role for himself and his offensive ability will keep him in the rotation. That leaves a real conundrum with Patty and Marco. They're both solid vets with good shooting ability and next to no defense. Patty's contract will make him really hard to move, but Belinelli has a friendly expiring contract that could be moved to clear up some cap space and Bryn Forbes value is probably at an all time with his ability to shoot and super cheap contract.

Possible free agent targets:

-Bojan Bogdonavich: put up really good numbers for Indiana last season, shoots really well from 3, not a great defender but not the worst either. Probably gonna cost too much without moving some guys around. Maybe a sign and trade if he's determined not to go back to the Pacers?
-Al Farouq Aminu: really good defender and rebounder, has developed a respectable enough 3 point shot, would do the dirty work, and could definetly be had in our price range of the MLE. Has a questionable motor at times.
-Marcus Morris: defends multiple spots, rebounds, solid shooter out to 3, had a really good year for Boston so could potentially cost more than we'd like to give him, and has a little bit of crazy in him. Would fit in really nicely, but also may be Stephen Jackson 2.0.
-Thaddeus Young: high energy player, rebounds, finishes around the rim, defends multiple positions, good locker room presence, but not a great 3 point shooter. May cost more than we can afford.
-Trevor Ariza: he's been the prototypical 3 and D wing for years now, but he's about to turn 34. He still averaged 12+ points, 5+ boards, 3+ assists, 1+ steals last season, and is a career 35% from 3. Likely going to be wanted by other contenders/playoff teams.
-JaMychal Green: big and athletic on D, solid rebounder, shot 40% on over 2 attempts from 3 last season, and should be relatively cheap. He might be the sweet spot on value and fit.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

FWIW Luka has is own locker and jersey (#19). I think he will be here this season.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Coach Bud just ended his COY speech with 'Thank you Pop and Tim Duncan. None of this happens without you.'

He's no dummy.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

Where in the world did you hear that?!?!

At his draft night press conference R.C. stated that Luka would be part of the Spurs this year.

It's also been reported he's already in San Antonio, already has a locker at the practice facility, and is already working out with the team.

FTAG 2000
AG
Side note, know some folks were bummed about us not getting Little. He got caught with cocaine a few weeks before the draft, it's why he fell so far.

West Texan
AG
AG 2000' said:

Side note, know some folks were bummed about us not getting Little. He got caught with cocaine a few weeks before the draft, it's why he fell so far.

But seriously, you'd think ESPN could have at least said he ran into some legal issues or something instead of just acting dumbfounded that he dropped so far.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Looks like DJ is living in the corner this offseason. Exactly what he needs to add to his game to play with Derrick and DeMar.
jteagle
AG
Sports-Ag
AG
I remember that night. It was a Friday night and I was ten years old. Watching the game with my parents and sisters and celebrating when they won then we all went to downtown in our van.
PLUM LOCO
AG

It is time for DeRozan to move on...He said the following,

"DeRozan said if he was still a Raptor, he wouldn't visit White House."

Hey Demar, if you were still with the Raptors they still would not have a championship.

Mouthing Off!
Guitarsoup
AG
God I hope they trade Tucker, Clint, and Gordon for Jimmy Butler. PLEASE

s13fenton
Trading your 3 best role players for a B list star that can't shoot 3s, I think at this point Morey is just addicted to making offseason moves. With the west being as wide open as it is I have no idea why they wouldn't just try to run it back.
West Texan
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.