NBA & Other Basketball MVP Vote

16,185 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Iowaggie
mAgnoliAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's a post game? You don't need that these days
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

primomosquito said:

Guitarsoup said:

Harden dishes out way more assists as he is the point guard in DAntoni's system.

Harden and Kawhi score about the same number of points per minute played.

Kawhi shot significantly better from the field, from three and from the line than Harden did.

While PER is significantly weighted towards offensive stats, Kawhi still had a better PER than Harden.

The distance between Harden and Kawhi on offense is much smaller than the distance between Kawhi and Harden on defense. No one that knows anything about basketball could realistically say otherwise.
Lots of people that know basketball better than you or I will decide that. Are you calling Kawhi for MVP? Based on your logic, even with a bias towards offense, I would expect the argument to be between Kawhi and Westrbook, not Westbrook and Harden. I guarantee Kawhi doesn't finish 1st or 2nd. But what do I know?

I'm not calling anyone for the award. I do think Russ will win, but I think there are great arguments for all four.

But the point I made that you highlighted is unquestionable. Harden is much further from Leonard defensively than Leonard is from Harden offensively. It's really not debatable.

You must be referring to 2014/2015 Leonard. Kawhi's defense took a step back with his improved offense.
DrZ
AG
If Westbrook wins this will only be the second time an MVP winner lost in the first round of the playoffs. Dirk in 2006.
Mr.Bond
AG
DrZ said:

If Westbrook wins this will only be the second time an MVP winner lost in the first round of the playoffs. Dirk in 2006.

Thought I heard something like he's the first MVP not in a top 3/4 seed since the early 80s?
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

Guitarsoup said:

primomosquito said:

Guitarsoup said:

From Harden dishes out way more assists as he is the point guard in DAntoni's system.

Harden and Kawhi score about the same number of points per minute played.

Kawhi shot significantly better from the field, from three and from the line than Harden did.

While PER is significantly weighted towards offensive stats, Kawhi still had a better PER than Harden.

The distance between Harden and Kawhi on offense is much smaller than the distance between Kawhi and Harden on defense. No one that knows anything about basketball could realistically say otherwise.
Lots of people that know basketball better than you or I will decide that. Are you calling Kawhi for MVP? Based on your logic, even with a bias towards offense, I would expect the argument to be between Kawhi and Westrbook, not Westbrook and Harden. I guarantee Kawhi doesn't finish 1st or 2nd. But what do I know?

I'm not calling anyone for the award. I do think Russ will win, but I think there are great arguments for all four.

But the point I made that you highlighted is unquestionable. Harden is much further from Leonard defensively than Leonard is from Harden offensively. It's really not debatable.

You must be referring to 2014/2015 Leonard. Kawhi's defense took a step back with his improved offense.
Yeah, not really. The biggest difference is that teams are isolating him to prevent him from disrupting their defense and just playing 4-on-4 while ignoring their best wing player. That doesn't happen to anyone else.

From The Ringer this week:

The two-time DPOY winner Kawhi Leonard fills the role of both LeBron James and himself here: He is the best individual defensive player on the best defensive team in basketball that's the entire argument. Watching Leonard D up his opponent, it's almost compelling enough. No other defensive player exudes the air of inevitability that Kawhi does the shot clock becomes a countdown to how quickly he can force the ball out of his counterpart's hands, one way or another.

So even if his defense has declined some, he is still the best wing defender in the entire NBA and at worst a top 3 defender.

In any event, my statement still stands. At worst, if you put Kawhi behind Gobert and Dray for 3rd in the NBA in defense, he is still ridiculously above anything Harden could ever dream of defensively while also top 10 in scoring and offensive rating and 3rd in PER. So easily a top 10-15 offensive player while being unquestionably the top wing defender in the NBA.
Deluxe
AG
DrZ said:

Interesting that voters didn't seem to care, as most who voted for him did so knowing he'd likely lose in round 1. I guess it just emphasizes the "regular season" aspect of the award.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Harden spends the majority of the game drawing defenders to set up his teammates and running the pick and roll, and he's the best by far at the latter.

[Kawhi]averaged better than a point per possession on the pick-and-roll, an elite mark just above Harden and way above Westbrook.
mazag08
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

Harden spends the majority of the game drawing defenders to set up his teammates and running the pick and roll, and he's the best by far at the latter.

[Kawhi]averaged better than a point per possession on the pick-and-roll, an elite mark just above Harden and way above Westbrook.

And how many assists did he created with the pick and roll?
Guitarsoup
AG
mazag08 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

And how many wins did Harden create with those assists?
mazag08
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mazag08 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

More than Kawhi did.

Kawhi created all of his on defense.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Plenty?
QBCade
AG
mazag08 said:

Harden spends the majority of the game drawing cheap fouls and making lots of points from the line & then having the other team nervous to defend him as every time they get near him it's a whistle. .

FIFY.

Serioulsy, Harden is obviously super talented, but his acting is crazy dumb and IMO cheapens his game.
Mr.Bond
AG
Lmaooooo
QBCade
AG
QBCade said:

mazag08 said:

Harden spends the majority of the game drawing cheap fouls and making lots of points from the line & then having the other team nervous to defend him as every time they get near him it's a whistle. .

FIFY.

Serioulsy, Harden is obviously super talented, but his acting is crazy dumb and IMO cheapens his game.

All that said, I would still have him 2nd in MVP vote
Cappo
AG
mazag08 said:

Guitarsoup said:

mazag08 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

More than Kawhi did.

Kawhi created all of his on defense.
So you're saying Kawhi should be MVP b/c of his offensive AND defensive roles? We all know Harden doesn't play D and Westbrook isn't very good at it and usually is more worried about the rebound.
SquirrellyDan
AG
QBCade said:

mazag08 said:

FIFY.

He's not acting. He's putting defenders, even elite ones, in bad position and he takes advantage of it.
QBCade
AG
primomosquito said:

QBCade said:

mazag08 said:

FIFY.

He's not acting. He's putting defenders, even elite ones, in bad position and he takes advantage of it.

He's got amazing skillz and definitely does what you say. However, when his head flies back like 'Rock'em Sock'em robots because his arm is touched... Its acting that only soccer players can compare to.
MGS
Just a reminder - it's not too late to un-star your vote for James Harden.
STL_aTm
TexagChris17
AG
TexagChris17
AG
Iowaggie
AG
I feel like at this point in the playoffs, the regular season has been a lot forgotten.

Not sure if people will care as much as they would have in April when this finally gets announced.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
When TF do they actually announce it?
drewbie08
AG
Count me in the crowd that would rather them announce the awards in April still. It would have drum up a lot more hype in the playoffs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awards show for all awards is June 26. Wtf is the point by then?

They need to move it to before the playoffs start.
Iowaggie
AG
The NBA finals will probably end 6/9, two and a half weeks before the announcements.

Momentum builder.....
Deluxe
AG
Iowaggie said:

The NBA finals will probably end 6/9, two and a half weeks before the announcements.

Momentum builder.....
The NBA nailed this one!
Saint Pablo
drewbie08 said:

Count me in the crowd that would rather them announce the awards in April still. It would have drum up a lot more hype in the playoffs.
Agreed. Or if you continue to do it after the playoffs, take playoff performance into account for the award and vote later.
AggieSportsGuy
AG
I forgot the MVP award even existed.
Iowaggie
AG
Remember 3 months ago when this was a hot topic?

Award show is tonight
Dan Scott
AG
Probably already mentioned but if they are going to wait this long to reveal the awards, then playoffs should matter.
CactusThomas
AG
I have a feeling that would drastically change the outcome this season.
cr0wbar
AG
yikes - they've already drafted players for 2017-2018 season and they still haven't announced awards? I've already forgotten. This should get GREAT ratings tonight...
Olsen
AG
Leaked votes shows that Westbrook won the league MVP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PKL-DCTLQCyRCNzvt_qWNtIDlCgbfGYVFBpEx4x7Y14/edit#gid=125019899
Forum Troll
AG
Not suprising unfortunately.

Harden has one of the best offensive seasons EVER by accounting for over 4500 total points and leads his team to 55 wins.

But nah, let's give it to the guy with a ****ty 47 win team who averaged a triple double with by far the highest uncontested rebound rate per game this season and an incredibly high usage rate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.