NBA & Other Basketball MVP Vote

16,180 Views | 232 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Iowaggie
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are changing it up this year and having a televised event on June 26th to announce all of the awards including MVP. Not sure when votes are due.
Deluxe
AG
Sounds like the award won't be officially given out until the finals.

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder

That link essentially says votes are due after the last regular season game (two weeks from 3/31).

I suppose someone might compile the votes before 6/26, but not sure.
CFTXAG10
AG
Yea, I would imagine votes are due prior to the beginning of the playoffs since it is a regular season award. Likely gets leaked prior to June 26th. It is kind of interesting though that the Rockets would play the Thunder in the opening round if everything holds current.
Deluxe
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Yea, I would imagine votes are due prior to the beginning of the playoffs since it is a regular season award. Likely gets leaked prior to June 26th. It is kind of interesting though that the Rockets would play the Thunder in the opening round if everything holds current.
Rockets and Thunder both have a couple of games separation between their respective +1 and -1 seeds, so seems likely at this point.
Pahdz
I liked what Jim Rome was saying about it today, I would be okay with Russ not winning, just fuels that fire and makes that chip on his shoulder even bigger.
Deluxe
AG
Pahdz said:

I liked what Jim Rome was saying about it today, I would be okay with Russ not winning, just fuels that fire and makes that chip on his shoulder even bigger.
Don't listen to Rome but been thinking the exact same thing for the past few weeks. Kind of a win-win.
Pahdz
agreed...also need your email, you ditched your stars
Deluxe
AG
Haha yep. I could handle the football team s***ing the bed three Novembers in a row, but not four.
Deluxe
AG
Pahdz
Got it
Deluxe
AG
These MVP "Attack Ads" are pretty funny...

Westbrook:

Harden:

Lebron:

Kawhi:

Deluxe
AG
Also, here's an extremely biased, stat-based take on the MVP with tons of flaws that no one should take seriously...
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19087982/ranking-westbrook-harden-lebron-kawhi-nba-mvp-best-metrics
Farmer1906
AG
It's insider.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
ibtlolpoor
Iowaggie
AG
"We held him from getting a triple-double, so take that, Russell Westbrook" - Grizz coach David Fizdale after loss, and Westbrook finished with 45 points, 10 assists, 9 rebounds and 5 steals.

*I know it probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but I've spent enough time on Texags to add this disclaimer....Fizdale was joking with that comment.
Guitarsoup
AG
#FakeNews
Deluxe
AG
Guitarsoup said:

#FakeNews
Sad!
amercer
AG
I think the debate is over
Mr.Bond
AG
Because of a meaningless game that carrys no weight at the end of the season
nbbob
Wasn't meaningless - eliminated Denver (and their fans still cheered Russ) and gave Portland the 8 seed.
Mr.Bond
AG
It was 100 percent meaningless for Okc
Mr.Bond
AG
If Russ gets the MVP he can enjoy it while watching the 2nd round from his house
amercer
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Because of a meaningless game that carrys no weight at the end of the season

Because I think the last few weeks have put to bed the kind of absurd argument that his numbers are somehow hurting the team. It's clear at this point he's having an otherworldly season and dragging a crap team to a decent seed.
Mr.Bond
AG
Everyone is going to have their own opinion. The fact that the team the other night in a blowout loss (why he was still in the game says a lot) was desperately trying to get Russ his triple double tells me all I need to know. They care more about his trophy than actually winning
amercer
AG
In fairness, how much winning can that team really expect?

They know they aren't going anywhere, so yeah I'm sure they try to get Russ his, but he's still dragged them to about 25 more wins this year than they would have had without him. Houston will probably murder them in the first round, but it wouldn't surprise me if Russ single handily made it a series.
Deluxe
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Everyone is going to have their own opinion. The fact that the team the other night in a blowout loss (why he was still in the game says a lot) was desperately trying to get Russ his triple double tells me all I need to know. They care more about his trophy than actually winning

The Thunder are 33-9 this year when Russ records a triple double, so "his trophy" and winning have sort of gone hand in hand this year.

I also didn't want Russ to break the record the way he would have against Phoenix. Not the first or last time a player will go for stats in a meaningless game, but not a good look overall. At the same time, I don't think that situation should exclude him from MVP consideration.
mAgnoliAg
AG
amercer said:

In fairness, how much winning can that team really expect?

They know they aren't going anywhere, so yeah I'm sure they try to get Russ his, but he's still dragged them to about 25 more wins this year than they would have had without him. Houston will probably murder them in the first round, but it wouldn't surprise me if Russ single handily made it a series.

Lol what
PatAg
AG
No one cares about the insane amounts of turnovers both Harden and Westbrook are committing? It's Kawhi or Lebron for me.
CactusThomas
AG
PatAg said:

No one cares about the insane amounts of turnovers both Harden and Westbrook are committing? It's Kawhi or Lebron for me.

Same.
Mr.Bond
AG
PatAg said:

Russ and James are the PG s of their respective teams.aka they handle the ball far more often
Guitarsoup
AG
Mr.Bond said:

PatAg said:

Russ and James are the PG s of their respective teams.aka they handle the ball far more often
Harden had ~80 more turnovers this year than anyone in the history of the NBA not named Harden or Westbrook.

Yes, James Harden beat his NBA Single-Season Turnover Record by an incredible 71 turnovers by averaging almost 6 turnovers per game.

Since the 1980 season, no PG has come within 100 turnovers of what Harden did this year.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Mr.Bond said:

PatAg said:

Harden had ~80 more turnovers this year than anyone in the history of the NBA not named Harden or Westbrook.

Yes, James Harden beat his NBA Single-Season Turnover Record by an incredible 71 turnovers by averaging almost 6 turnovers per game.

Since the 1980 season, no PG has come within 100 turnovers of what Harden did this year.

He has 277 assists more than he's ever had
mazag08
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Guitarsoup said:

Mr.Bond said:

PatAg said:

He has 277 assists more than he's ever had

Haymaker.
Deluxe
AG
Understand that most people on here don't want that fake rebounding, selfish stat compiler and turnover machine Russell Westbrook to win, but at this point, does anyone think he won't win? Media polls seem to be strongly in his favor now and he has endorsements from alot of the game's elite former players (including the Big O).
CFTXAG10
AG
Curious to know everyone's thoughts on a possible co-MVP situation with Harden and Westbrook? I personally don't like it, but it seems like the possibility is picking up steam.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.