*****Official 2014-2015 Memphis Grizzlies Thread*****

171,912 Views | 1179 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Iowaggie
Gigem Trevas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heard the Jagermeister got ejected for arguing with the officials. Grizzlies fans seem to think it was bad but every team thinks that generally.
Iowaggie
AG
It was bad in every way tonight.

Missed shots, jet lag, and a horrendous officiating night when the Grizzlies picked up 4 technical fouls. Joerger was stepping in for Conley who finally had enough of Ty Lawson getting away with tiny calls.

The Joerger ejection came a couple trips after Conley was called for a ticky tack call (which I wouldn't have minded if it had been called like that the whole game), and that was followed a couple trips later where they showed on the replay Conley getting fouled 3 times in one drive by Lawson, including an obvious one on the gather. He was ready to pick up a T until Dave stepped in.

But they generally played like crap and ZBo needs to return.

Iowaggie
AG
Jusuf Nurkic led the Western Conference with 11.8 fouls per 48 minutes going into tonights game.

While guarding Marc Gasol tonight, he picked up 0 fouls in the whole game.
4stringAg
AG
The Grizz have been getting boofed all season on foul calls. Not so much on the defensive end but more the lack of calls on the offensive end for Conley and Gasol. I watch other guards get rewarded for driving the lane and drawing fouls while Conley gets continuously mugged on his way to the rim and no call. James Harden gets a foul call if you breathe on him lightly going to the basket. I also see Gasol getting hacked, grabbed, hit in the face, etc night in and night out and get relatively few calls.

I'm usually not one to complain about refs as the Grizz play physical and dish it out and sometimes get away with things defensively but the Grizz stars definitely don't get the "star treatment" that other teams stars get.
Gigem Trevas
Iowaggie
AG
Does anyone miss more layups in this league, or any other league played by guys over the age of 14, than Tony Allen does?

I almost dread seeing him in the open court with the layup opportunity because almost half the time he misses and the other team converts a fast break the other way.

I don't know how he gets out and the ball so frequently to get those opportunities, but he could probably be missing 2 per game.
Iowaggie
AG
Some scoring likely to be going on tonight at the Grizzlies game in Atlanta because it's Tinder night!!

Gigem Trevas
Nice post. Grizzlies lose though.
4stringAg
AG
Not sure about that late game lineup with Calathes and Prince. limited scoring chances with them in.
Iowaggie
AG
They miss Zach, and just lack depth.

They rolled out a small ball lineup tonight with MC, Beno, Calathes, Prince, and Gasol.

Iowaggie
AG
Tony Allen with 2 missed layups again.

How in the world does he get so many opportunities?

Lots of talk about upgrading the wing. ..Gallo, Green, Deng... guess that aren't playing that well elsewhere.
Ulrich
quote:
Tony Allen with 2 missed layups again.

How in the world does he get so many opportunities?

The answer is in the question.
Gigem Trevas
Zach may return tonight.
4stringAg
AG
He's back tonight and has a double double in the 3rd. But Grizz still losing by 10 in the 3rd. Once again as is the theme in their 10 losses, they are being outgunned from 3 point land. To this point, 2 of 11 from 3 for the Grizz and 8/15 for the Pelicans.

I heard a stat that the Grizz in their 10 losses have allowed 61 more 3 pointers than the Grizz have scored. That's an average of 6 more per game in the losses. And in a number of those losses, those teams are shooting well above their average from 3 point land. As I'm typing this the Pelicans hit another one (they are shooting over 50% from 3 with their season avg around 34%).

I've seen it all year, the Grizz perimeter 3 point defense just isn't good.
Iowaggie
AG
Yep, lost on the 3 point line, and fell behind early and never caught up.
Pelicans are a team that is strong enough to be in the top 4 or 6 if in the East. They can roll out a top 5-7 with anyone.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it seems to me that some of the players complain for calls more than they used to when Hollins was the coach. Maybe it was a toughness factor, or maybe they are getting worse calls, but I just think they complain more.

Grizzlies couldn't get stops and started slow again.

Iowaggie
AG
Also, glad to see that Dante Cunningham made it back into the league after the false domestic abuse charges. Would rather have him in Beale St Blue than in NO.
Iowaggie
AG
Apparently Tayshaun Prince was told while leaving the floor tonight that he had been traded to Boston for Jeff Green with a third team involved, possibly Q Pondexter being sent back to NO.

This is what the Commercial Appeal reported Friday Night.

quote:
The Grizzlies are closing in on a trade that would send veteran forward Tayshaun Prince and his expiring $7.7 million contract to the Boston Celtics for forward Jeff Green.The deal will include a future first-round draft pick from Memphis and a third team when completed. No deal will be completed Friday night, but the trade is expected to be complete Saturday barring a last-minute change of heart by the third team, according to sources.The Griz were focused on adding New Orleans as a third team in the Boston deal. Memphis would send reserve forward Quincy Pondexter to New Orleans in part to stay below the luxury tax.
Ganondorf
AG
So no more Prince victory memes?
Iowaggie
AG
Dang. ..I hadn't thought of that.

Probably hasn't helped that grizzlies haven't won much lately.

Probably need to reconsider trade
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
quote:

Reel black eye
Gigem Trevas
What am I supposed to post now?
Iowaggie
AG
Nice double OT win.

Zach might face a suspension for his repeated abuse of both Morris brothers, especially Markieff at the beginning.

Might have to go back to divas...probably better on the eyes anyways.

Iowaggie
AG
Also, Violet Palmer is still horrible as a ref.

I don't know if I notice her bad calls more because she's a woman, or she just makes a lot of bad calls, and I think she makes the rest of her crew worse.

The non-interference/goaltend call near the end of regulation was seen by everyone but the 3 refs.
4stringAg
AG
Palmer has been screwing the Grizz over for years. usually when I see her as the ref, I typically chalk up a loss
4stringAg
AG
Iowaggie, I didn't see the game tonight, did Prince and Quincy play? You heard anything more on the Jeff Green deal? paper this morning said Prince and 2nd Round pick to Boston for Green and Quincy to Pelicans for Russ Smith
Iowaggie
AG
For the game, Prince wasn't in the building, but Pondexter sat with Hollinger and Wallace in a suite.

And this is what the C.A. says the deal is....

The Griz have agreed to send Prince and a future first-round draft pick to the Boston Celtics for forward Jeff Green. Memphis will also move Pondexter and a second-round draft pick to New Orleans. The Pelicans are sending guard Russ Smith to the Griz and guard Austin Rivers to the Celtics.
Gigem Trevas
Grizzlies win.
Iowaggie
AG
Thumbs up for gif, but after the first quarter, Memphis couldn't hit a 3 pointer.

Zach seems to be playing very well since his return.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Grizzlies win.
http://stillrealtous.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/divagif5.gif

Is this the new Prince meme for yall? I can support the Grizz winning if it means more of this.
Ganondorf
AG
Iowa and Trevas know how to party
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Iowa and Trevas know how to party

There's still room for y'all.
4stringAg
AG
Was out of the country for yesterday's game. How'd things look with the new guys/Green?
Gigem Trevas
quote:
Was out of the country for yesterday's game. How'd things look with the new guys/Green?

I missed the game myself. We will have to defer to Iowa.
Iowaggie
AG
I was out of town, too.

Everything I've seen is that Green wasn't great, wasn't horrible, but seemed like he was in the offensive flow, but not making shots.

However, Conley hurt ankle, and may be out for a few. I think they would start Calathes since Beno has played so well with 2nd unit.

TA also may be out for a few games with hamstring. That just means Green can start.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.