***** USA vs Uruguay Official Thread *****

27,676 Views | 783 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by PatAg
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

BINGO, many people have said it on numerous game threads. We're too rigid tactically, in the World Cup the Netherlands just read us like a book.
Put these players in position to thrive! You can have some systems of play, but it cant always be the same predictable slow lateral pass.
Someone else said it a couple of pages ago, but Pulisic will be in the box and instead of giving it a go hes dribbling it out and recirculating it.
Gonna be hard to let the frustration of ruining this opportunity go
TRM
AG
Mathguy64 said:

AgGrad99 said:

PatAg said:

Reyna, Pulisic, and Balogun came to play.
the McKennie,Musah, Adams midfield does not give you enough talent going forward.

Where was Weston? He used to be a spark plug on the field. I feel like he gets lost too often these days.

Wes ate himself out of being able to play.

Seriously. He's was overweight and it showed.
Not really taking the tournament seriously.
OregonAggie
AG
CBS Golazo has a live feed on YouTube now. Charlie Davies, Meola, and McBride on. It's really good
OregonAggie
AG
As an aside, dammit I with we had a Brian McBride in this squad. Dude just produced
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Unemployed said:

I think we have a bunch of soft players. Too much having their asses kissed because they happen to play in Europe. Golden generation this, golden generation that. They're just not as good as what we wish them to be.
I think they are good, but many of them just simply aren't gonna play as well for us as they do for their clubs. I think a lot of that is having a vibes coach like Ggg. A lot of it has to do with the fact that many consider Europe their home more than America… and for the others, they come back here and play in front of empty stadiums, or stadiums filled with opposing fans. They all seem jaded and just going through the motions.
I still think its just those guys are on all these elite teams, but they also play with elite players that are better than they are.
We've evolved to where we can have a team full of players that dont look out of place on these club teams, but we are missing those 1-3 players to take over games and run the show.
I think a lot of them have the heart and the right mindset, but a few do seem to resemble your last sentence at times
deadbq03
AG
Link? I'm not seeing it on their YT page.
PatAg
AG
TRM said:

Mathguy64 said:

AgGrad99 said:

PatAg said:

the McKennie,Musah, Adams midfield does not give you enough talent going forward.

Where was Weston? He used to be a spark plug on the field. I feel like he gets lost too often these days.

People have a habit of misrepresenting pictures of players, this could have been between the Italian season ending and this tourney starting.
If that is him during the tournament, he needs to be left out of the next set of friendlies. He's got a pattern
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Link? I'm not seeing it on their YT page.
https://www.youtube.com/live/5Put356bJko?si=LCWQLTsHnVGfsMwl
aggiephoenix02
TRM said:

Mathguy64 said:

AgGrad99 said:

PatAg said:

I'm pretty fed up with Weston. He seems like a selfish teammate (****ing Pulisic's sister, breaking curfew, hookah lounge now).

He can **** right off and not come back…
PatAg
AG
La Bamba said:

PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

So with this disappointing result, one has to assume it's over for Berhalter and it's Jesse Marsch's job to lose, especially given the fact Canada is into the knockout stage. I'll admit I don't know all the ins and outs as to why Marsch didn't get the job after the Berhalter / Reyna drama following WC 22, but at this point you gotta assume he'll be called up wouldn't he?
I dont want Marsch either

Who else would be a viable option?
Doesn't have to be an elite level coach, I would be happy with quite a few MLS coaches and Im sure there are a number of coaches with international experience out there as well.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

So with this disappointing result, one has to assume it's over for Berhalter and it's Jesse Marsch's job to lose, especially given the fact Canada is into the knockout stage. I'll admit I don't know all the ins and outs as to why Marsch didn't get the job after the Berhalter / Reyna drama following WC 22, but at this point you gotta assume he'll be called up wouldn't he?

Doesn't have to be an elite level coach, I would be happy with quite a few MLS coaches and Im sure there are a number of coaches with international experience out there as well.
Anthony Hudson and BJ Callahan were better than Ggg.
deadbq03
AG
Fair enough. And Pulisic still seems to care (somehow - by this point I wouldn't blame him for checking out). Adams too, but I'm with you - he's not as good as we think he is (too 1 dimensional).

And I agree… we don't have a a guy who's "the guy" for their club and that's a big part of what's lacking.

Still, if all these guys are on teams with great players it really points the finger at the coach… he ought to be able to connect the dots and make them a team.
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Fair enough. And Pulisic still seems to care (somehow - by this point I wouldn't blame him for checking out). Adams too, but I'm with you - he's not as good as we think he is (too 1 dimensional).

And I agree… we don't have a a guy who's "the guy" for their club and that's a big part of what's lacking.

Still, if all these guys are on teams with great players it really points the finger at the coach… he ought to be able to connect the dots and make them a team.
Bingo
PatAg
AG
Rudyjax said:

PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

PatAg said:

La Bamba said:

Anthony Hudson and BJ Callahan were better than Ggg.
Even if they didnt play the best opponents, the team looked better than they ever did under ggg against similar level of play
oragator
Someone asked this earlier

Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

Has anyone ever seen a call like that handball when a team is breaking outside of youth soccer ?

It happens. It's happened to every referee. Normally you just reflexively blow it and look around and just say to yourself "well crap". This one was bad because he let the play happen for so long.

By that stage in the first half he was so messed up he probably had no idea what he was doing. He was just trying to survive the half.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Has anyone ever seen a call like that handball when a team is breaking outside of youth soccer ?

It happens. It's happened to every referee. Normally you just reflexively blow it and look around and just say to yourself "well crap". This one was bad because he let the play happen for so long.

By that stage in the first half he was so messed up he probably had no idea what he was doing. He was just trying to survive the half.
I've seen it in youth soccer. And it happens. But never at an international tournament.

You ever let a quick start happen while showing a card? I bet you haven't.

PatAg
AG
We didtn even get to really enjoy the tournament
oh no
AG
I think USSF is in trouble. Not only do they need a fixer coach to work some miracles in less than two years, with limited international windows in that span, so our "golden generation" isn't wasted, but I'm afraid we're going to find out soon after that that the dissolution of the US soccer development academy after the sacking of Klinsmann might have had detrimental effects on the popularity of the sport to attract and retain top athletes and the development of American talent at the youth levels. We're about 5 years out from USSF getting rid of the DA and choosing to rely on mls academies for scouting and development. MLS academies are importing south and Central American talent as designated players even at youth levels and have zero allegiance to US soccer and little incentive for developing American youth to the top levels.
Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

I've seen it in youth soccer. Never at an international tournament.

Yeah. No. I have not pulled a card while calling advantage while the offensive player is using their hand to set the ball down. That's a trifecta I never want to pull off.
aggiephoenix02
PatAg said:

We didtn even get to really enjoy the tournament
Even the Bolivia game was kind of a let down…
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

I've seen it in youth soccer. Never at an international tournament.

Yeah. No. I have not pulled a card while calling advantage while the offensive player is using their hand to set the ball down. That's a trifecta I never want to pull off.
Well congrats! You're better than a Fifa referee!

Seriously though, can you imagine if they had scored there??
PatAg
AG
so the US U23 team plays Wed 7/24 against France, Saturday 7/27 against New Zealand, and Tues 7/30 against Guinea in the Olympics
Guess thats next up
Rudyjax
AG
I love the players and see several of them play with the best in the world.
Every starter on this team today has top 5 league experience.

Is it the players or the system?

I really hope it's the system because if not I'm just crushed.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

so the US U23 team plays Wed 7/24 against France, Saturday 7/27 against New Zealand, and Tues 7/30 against Guinea in the Olympics
Guess thats next up
Just waiting to be crushed again.
PatAg
AG

the 5-10 seconds leading up to the ref not shaking hands. Still should shake, but not quite as cut and dry
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

the 5-10 seconds leading up to the ref not shaking hands. Still should shake, but not quite as cut and dry
Yep, i just came here to post it.

And I don't blame Pulisic. The refereeing was horrible in favor of Uruguay.
We still wouldn't have won 2 nil even with their horribleness.
Rudyjax
AG

What kind of review do you need to know? Our players always underperform under Ggg. Unless we're playing crappy Mexico.
oh no
AG
A coddled son of a former president felt entitled enough to be frustrated with referees to the point that he had to get himself sent off without any fear of consequences for his team. That's a problem.
fig96
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Had that been one random mistake it would've been one thing, but it was like the fifth or sixth absolutely bonkers call of the match. (And I realize you're not defending him, just making the observation.)
KCup17
AG
You think this group of players would make it out of the group of death like the squad did in 2014?
TRM
AG
Not the final 23, but prelim roster in 2014

PatAg
AG

Ream still being a leader even ignominious defeat, and its what a lot of the young core of this team needs to hear from a veteran they should respect.
whether we dont fire gregg or do, the lack of qualifying campaign means its gonna be mostly up to these guys taking leaps at their clubs.
..and finding a manager who knows what he is doing
TRM
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.