***** USA vs Uruguay Official Thread *****

29,682 Views | 788 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by fig96
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Stars & Stripes look to rebound from their loss against Panama as they take the field Monday at 8 pm Central against La Celeste with their Copa America tournament life on the line. Uruguay will be missing their coach and will probably play their 1st choice line-up.

TV: FS1, Univision/TUDN

Quote:

Group C

No team in this group has qualified or been eliminated yet.

Uruguay wins the group with a win or draw against USA.

Uruguay can advance with a loss against USA and a win or draw from Bolivia against Panama (tiebreakers would determine first and second between USA and Uruguay).

Uruguay can advance with a loss against USA and a win from Panama over Bolivia, but would also need to win tiebreakers (as three teams would then have six points).

USA advances with a win or draw against Uruguay and a win from Bolivia over Panama.

USA can advance with a win against Uruguay and a win from Panama over Bolivia, but would also need to win tiebreakers (as three teams would then have six points).

USA can advance with a draw against Uruguay and a draw between Panama and Bolivia (would advance over Panama in this scenario as they are ahead on goal difference).

USA can advance with a loss against Uruguay and a win from Bolivia over Panama, but would also need to win tiebreakers (as three teams would then be tied with three points).

Panama advances with a win against Bolivia and a win or draw from Uruguay over USA.

Panama advances with a draw against Bolivia and a win from Uruguay over USA.

Panama can also advance with a win against Bolivia and a win from USA over Uruguay, but would need to win tiebreakers to be in the top two (as three teams would then have six points).

Bolivia advances if they defeat Panama and Uruguay defeats USA, but they would also need to win tiebreakers (as three teams would then be tied with three points).

Bolivia cannot win the group.

Quote:

Tiebreaker criteria

Goal difference in all group matches
Most goals scored in all group matches
Head-to-Head points between the tied teams
Head-to-Head goal difference between the tied teams
Most goals scored between the tied teams
Fewest red cards
Fewest yellow cards
Drawing of lots

aggiephoenix02
Badass.

Now that's how you start a match thread. Things are already looking up for the USA!

USA 1 - 2 Uruguay
oragator
It's the opposite of the Kobayashi Maru, it's no lose.
Advance, or lose and probably jettison Gregg.
byfLuger41
AG
MORE HATE!!!!
TO THE DROP ZONE!!!
wangus12
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
Welp today is a day. I hope the players come good.
deadbq03
AG
I hope the last result motivates the team - and that Weah's absence results in a new attacking approach that surprises Uruguay.

(Yes I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment but I know no other way to be a fan).
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I hope that Suarez bites Gregg.
Rudyjax
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I hope that Suarez bites Gregg.
That would be the best thing ever.

Rudyjax
AG
wangus12 said:

oh no
AG
Quote:

Uruguay media confirming that there will be no changes to their starting 11. They're going for the 9 points.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Quote:

Uruguay media confirming that there will be no changes to their starting 11. They're going for the 9 points.

Well, they want the points but don't need the points.

We need to win at least 2 nil.
akm91
AG
Bolivia can beat Panama by 15 right?
oh no
AG
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Hopeful for a miracle tonight.
Seven Costanza
AG
You're a less interesting version of Argentina that is relatively safe, politically stable, and surprisingly expensive!
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

Bolivia can beat Panama by 15 right?
Not sure we want them to win by more than 3. Then again, if we lose we don't deserve to progress so it's probably a moot point.
EastSideAg2002
This team needs to stop being a team of potential and start beating some of these better teams. I dont count beating a ****ty mexico team all that impressive anymore.
jeffk
AG
Seven Costanza said:

You're a less interesting version of Argentina that is relatively safe, politically stable, and surprisingly expensive!

Oooooo
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

This team needs to stop being a team of potential and start beating some of these better teams. I dont count beating a ****ty mexico team all that impressive anymore.

Sadley, I think the talent is close to there, but the coaching isn't.
PatAg
AG
We need to be willing to play direct when its an option, there will be spaces to exploit against Uruguay if we do .
tysker
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

EastSideAg2002 said:

Sadley, I think the talent is close to there, but the coaching isn't.

After the top 6-7 players the talent isnt near where it needs to be. Mediocre coaching and tactics only exacerbates the problem
Rudyjax
AG
I like the lineup.
gougler08
AG
Uruguay is suspect on the back line if we can play well but I just hope that Darwin Nunez continues to defy the xG odds today
gougler08
AG
Rudyjax said:

I like the lineup.

Musah for Weah is the only change right?
Furlock Bones
AG
Musah and Reyna. Finally putting the best players on the field together.

Adams needs to go longer than 60 minutes.
oh no
AG
gougler08 said:

Rudyjax said:

I like the lineup.

Musah for Weah is the only change right?
yep, Reyna slides to weah's wing spot, Musah to the midfield
PatAg
AG
Could also be a formation change, I want Reyna central with freedom to show to either side
deadbq03
AG
Maybe a 4-4-2 diamond? I'd love to see CP and Flo up top.
oh no
AG
PatAg said:

Could also be a formation change, I want Reyna central with freedom to show to either side
you're giving greggg too much credit even considering the idea
deadbq03
AG
Don't hate for no reason. He's changed things up many times, including in the middle of the WC.

I don't think his tactics are necessarily the problem. I put more on his mentality and overall leadership skills.
oh no
AG
I've seen us try three CBs & wingbacks without success. I've never seen us try a 4-4-2 diamond or anything else and it's not the time to experiment.
PatAg
AG
Im sure it wil just end up with Reyna on the wing and the trio of central mids having instructions to cover Reyna's side stronger. I just think you lose part of his influence if you just keep Reyna shaded to a sideline, and Id like to give him and Pulisic freedom to venture around and get on the ball in space.
Let McKennie/Musah occassionally flex outside, or even Scally/Robinson pushing forward.
McKennie making runs in behind from deep is something Id expect to see as well, and has been a strength of his in Italy.
This team has the talent to take it to Uruguay.
deadbq03
AG
I'm with you. Ggg seems to think a 9 has to be a target man, which we haven't had since Jozy.

We need to be fluid up front.
agracer
AG
Way more Uruguay fans here than US

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.