USMNT 2020 Thread

53,561 Views | 928 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Pahdz
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I for one am worried. He hasn't started and both Werner and Callum Hudson-Odoi looks to be finding their form. He didnt feature against a poor Newcastle team yesterday.
TRM
AG
TRM
AG
jeffk said:

Speaking of, are we worried about Pulisic under Tuechel (sp)?
https://www.espn.com/soccer/chelsea/story/4318941/chelsea-boss-tuchel-on-pulisic-future-no-decisions-made-for-summer
jeffk
AG
That sounds a lot like the dreaded "vote of confidence" that CFB coaches get months before they get fired. CP does have some injury issues that worry me, but I also think he's undervalued; first by Frank and maybe now by Tomas.
fig96
AG
Lack of manager confidence in him has been odd for a player who by all measurables has done really well for an elite club.

On the plus side, if he does need to move on I think he'll have a whole lot of options.
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

That sounds a lot like the dreaded "vote of confidence" that CFB coaches get months before they get fired. CP does have some injury issues that worry me, but I also think he's undervalued; first by Frank and maybe now by Tomas.

He's been screwed by injuries. He was by far their best player after the restart in the summer. Chelsea probably aren't gonna wait long
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

I think I heard on the TSS podcast that Tomas is playing him as a kind of false 9, more forward and more central. Does his game really fit that role? Maybe I've just pigeon-holed him as a winger and a guy that's best with the ball at his feet running at opponents.
jeffk
AG
They said early on that's what he wanted, yeah. But then they used him out wide the few times I've seen him in games.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

jeffk said:

I think I heard on the TSS podcast that Tomas is playing him as a kind of false 9, more forward and more central. Does his game really fit that role? Maybe I've just pigeon-holed him as a winger and a guy that's best with the ball at his feet running at opponents.
He said that but hasn't played him as a false 9. And Chelsea has really strong 9s, so I dunno.

This whole thing with him is frustrating to me.
ChipFTAC01
AG
If he left Chelsea, where would you like to see him go? For his game and his brand (and US Soccer's exposure) I'd like him to stay in England but maybe at a club like Wolves or Southampton. Maybe Everton?
jeffk
AG
Wolves or Southhampton or Leeds would be my picks if he stayed in England. If Chelsea ends up selling him below what they bought him for, I could see a bigger Italian or German club buying him up too.
Rudyjax
AG
EPL is so fickle. You can be the best on your squad for 20 matches, then struggle a bit, and not get off the bench.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Leeds could be great. Although I wonder if his fitness could handle the pace up there.
fig96
AG
Won't happen, but I'm just imagining the damage he and James would do together...

KCup17
AG
Going to Southampton could be a good move.

As long as its not City, United or Arsenal I'd love for him to stay at a club in England.
Pound the Rock
AG
Well, Callum Hudson-Odoi was subbed as a sub today and Ziyech did nothing when he came on vs Southampton so the door is open for him if he gets healthy.
PatAg
AG
Morris went down injured and had to be stretchered off apparently.
wangus12
AG
KCup17 said:

Going to Southampton could be a good move.

As long as its not City, United or Arsenal I'd love for him to stay at a club in England.

He'd be perfect for Arsenal. Promising young player constantly hampered by injuries.

Can't wait for the anti-American backlash when the American "Messi" has to go to freaking Wolves or Southampton
deadbq03
AG
Tyler Adams with an assist today after pressing and poking out the ball in the box and dropping it off to the scorer.

This was yet another match where he starts at RWB but then spent the last 30 or so minutes as a 6, which has happened frequently this year.

Adams was recently featured in an interview by the Bundesliga English language website, and he answered a few questions about other Americans in Bundesliga.:
https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/tyler-adams-interview-rb-leipzig-life-gio-reyna-potential-usmnt-joshua-kimmich-14742
fig96
AG
Technically a USWNT note but as good a place as any, our ladies beat Canada 1-0 and play Brazil at 2pm CST on FS1.
jeffk
AG
Jordan Morris tore his ACL yesterday. Other knee then the one he torn up a couple of years ago. Obviously he's out for the rest of this season.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Very random, but while reading Where's Waldo with my kids this morning I noticed a kid standing next to Waldo's friend the Wizard who was essentially wearing a Bomb Pop jersey. Which then got me thinking about people dressing up for usmnt games, has anyone ever seen anyone dressed as Waldo at a usmnt game? Seems obvious given the love for the Waldo jersey.

Which brings us back around to, When is Nikeand USSF going to get it through their thick skulls that red and white hoops need to be our permenant home jersey?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Was clicking around on wiki to see the general schedule for games in all of the different tournaments and qualifiers this year. Looking at the schedule for last summer for the Nation's League SF and Finals, last June we were supposed to play Honduras at BBVA and then 2 hours later Mex would play CR at NRG.
Rudyjax
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Was clicking around on wiki to see the general schedule for games in all of the different tournaments and qualifiers this year. Looking at the schedule for last summer for the Nation's League SF and Finals, last June we were supposed to play Honduras at BBVA and then 2 hours later Mex would play CR at NRG.
Yep...we talked about it somewhere.

I think PatAg didn't understand why we were annoyed by it.
oh no
AG
in March 2019, I went to a USMNT friendly vs Chile at BBVA - Arturo Vidal, Christian Pulisic, and many of the stars even played in it.. and tiny little BBVA was not full.

A couple months later, I went to the 2019 gold cup quarter finals at NRG. Game 1 was Canada vs Haiti and game 2 was Mexico vs Costa Rica. NRG was sold out, packed, and rockin with thousands of El Tri fans wearing their wrestling masks. It was probably louder than I've ever seen NRG at a Texans game when Pizzaro almost scored, yet alone when Jiminez did score.

Mexico just sells a hell of a lot more than USA does in the Houston market.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

in March 2019, I went to a USMNT friendly vs Chile at BBVA - Arturo Vidal, Christian Pulisic, and many of the stars even played in it.. and tiny little BBVA was not full.

A couple months later, I went to the 2019 gold cup quarter finals at NRG. Game 1 was Canada vs Haiti and game 2 was Mexico vs Costa Rica. NRG was sold out, packed, and rockin with thousands of El Tri fans wearing their wrestling masks. It was probably louder than I've ever seen NRG at a Texans game when Pizzaro almost scored, yet alone when Jiminez did score.

Mexico just sells a hell of a lot more than USA does in the Houston market.
We know that. That's the sad part.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, I wasn't really surprised, just sad. And if they would have had the games as double header at NRH it would have been a Usmnt hostile crowd.
Legal Custodian
AG
McKennie with the goal today for Juventus
Rudyjax
AG
Legal Custodian said:

McKennie with the goal today for Juventus
****...stupid work. I was too busy and forgot to turn it on.
KCup17
AG
Ha.

It would be really interesting to see Pulisic and Jimenez play together at Wolves. I did see a rumor that Bayern are poking around for Pulisic to replace Coman this summer.
Pound the Rock
AG
A lot of reports out that Bayern are interested in Pulisic and that he would be interested going back to Germany.
fig96
AG
That brings up an interesting point, as we all know we've seen Americans thrive in Germany and it's easily one of the top leagues in the world (I'd assume third at the worst behind the Premier League and maybe La Liga).

Is there any real advantage, other than maybe a bit of prestige and more viewership to American audiences, for a player like Pulisic to stick in England rather than going to a German superclub?
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
PatAg said:

Morris went down injured and had to be stretchered off apparently.

I'm starting to think it's probable Morris never makes a USMNT World Cup roster. Who would have thought that when he was at Stanford.
Pound the Rock
AG
fig96 said:

That brings up an interesting point, as we all know we've seen Americans thrive in Germany and it's easily one of the top leagues in the world (I'd assume third at the worst behind the Premier League and maybe La Liga).

Is there any real advantage, other than maybe a bit of prestige and more viewership to American audiences, for a player like Pulisic to stick in England rather than going to a German superclub?

Yea good question. The notoriety of the premier league is undoubtedly superior to the bundesliga, as a league. That said, Bayern have been the best club in the world over the past year as proven by winning the champions league and club World Cup. If he was able to join Bayern and get significant playing time (currently alluding him at Chelsea), I think it would be the best decision long-term for his development.

The only other issue is the "stigma" of American players not able to cut it in the premier league. With Christian, that's less of an issue after his performances and contributions over the past two seasons when healthy.
Rudyjax
AG
Entourageag07 said:

fig96 said:

Yea good question. The notoriety of the premier league is undoubtedly superior to the bundesliga, as a league. That said, Bayern have been the best club in the world over the past year as proven by winning the champions league and club World Cup. If he was able to join Bayern and get significant playing time (currently alluding him at Chelsea), I think it would be the best decision long-term for his development.

The only other issue is the "stigma" of American players not able to cut it in the premier league. With Christian, that's less of an issue after his performances and contributions over the past two seasons when healthy.
Bayern Munich would be the be an oustanding landing spot for him.

American thrive in Germany because the soccer culture is closer to US than England. I read an article about this a couple of years ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.