Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen

78,843 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmellba99
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

if Charlie Strong ... had won 10 games that year

Ghost91
T-Shizzle said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

Raptor said:

Leander - Ag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

In all fairness, Sumlin completely fubar'd the QB room at A&M and as a result we gave him a $15 million check for it.
What a complete disaster KS was. Looking back it is was Fran level incompetence.

Our highest national ranking 5th in the final AP poll in the past 25+ years. If Sumlin is guilty of all of our woes, then he gets some credit for what Sherill, RC, Fran, Sherm, and Jimbo couldn't or can't do. Not since 1956 have we been ranked 5th or higher in the AP to finish a season.

He will always be listed as the HC of the 2012 team. But really his only accomplishment was inheriting a team of Top 10 talent accumulated and coached up by his predecessor, and having Kliff to coach the greatest assembly of offensive talent we had ever had. Every single starter on the 2012 offense, which Sumlin had nothing to do with their recruiting and development, played in the NFL including the entire OL. That is unheard of.

The truest measure of the real value of Sumlin as a HC and his competence level is revealed by looking at his last 4 seasons at A&M. The fact is the further we got away from Sherman recruited and developed players, the worse we got. That is not an opinion, that is a fact, and it is why we had the worst most embarrassing comeback loss in the history of Power 5 football followed the next week by being tied with an FCS school in the 4Q in Sumlin's last season....

Sumlin should have been fired before he was, but for certain we should not have paid his buyout due to "letter-gate".....

Bwahahaha well what about all the defensive players Sumlin recruited here? That went on to the NFL
Davante Harris, Dashawn Hall, Myles Garrett, Zay Henderson, Armani Watts, Justin Evans, Donovan Wilson, Otaro Alaka, Tyrell Dodson, Brandon Williams, Kingsley Keke,!

What about the talent that's on the team now that Sumlin recruited! All this Sumlin hate is a joke! He didn't get it done here! Fine! It happens ,but the hate is unreal and I know why, and it's sad!
Saint Pablo
Jarrin' Jay said:

Raptor said:

Leander - Ag said:

TheWoodsAg said:

In all fairness, Sumlin completely fubar'd the QB room at A&M and as a result we gave him a $15 million check for it.
What a complete disaster KS was. Looking back it is was Fran level incompetence.

Our highest national ranking 5th in the final AP poll in the past 25+ years. If Sumlin is guilty of all of our woes, then he gets some credit for what Sherill, RC, Fran, Sherm, and Jimbo couldn't or can't do. Not since 1956 have we been ranked 5th or higher in the AP to finish a season.

He will always be listed as the HC of the 2012 team. But really his only accomplishment was inheriting a team of Top 10 talent accumulated and coached up by his predecessor, and having Kliff to coach the greatest assembly of offensive talent we had ever had. Every single starter on the 2012 offense, which Sumlin had nothing to do with their recruiting and development, played in the NFL including the entire OL. That is unheard of.

The truest measure of the real value of Sumlin as a HC and his competence level is revealed by looking at his last 4 seasons at A&M. The fact is the further we got away from Sherman recruited and developed players, the worse we got. That is not an opinion, that is a fact, and it is why we had the worst most embarrassing comeback loss in the history of Power 5 football followed the next week by being tied with an FCS school in the 4Q in Sumlin's last season....

Sumlin should have been fired before he was, but for certain we should not have paid his buyout due to "letter-gate".....
This is so ridiculous. If that is all that Sumlin did and his predecessor was the one that did all the coaching, why is it that his predecessor went 6-6 with virtually the same OL, great talent at the WR position, and the highest drafted quarterback this school has ever seen? If Sumlin did NOTHING and it was all Sherman, then why did we get so much better the following year with a very similar team in a better conference?

I am fine with saying that he underachieved and that his last few years here were bad. I'm fine with saying that he should have been canned before he was, but to act like he had nothing to do with a top 5 finish on a team that he coached is ridiculous.
Slicer97
AG
Sumlin version 2012 and Sumlin version 2015-2017 were two different coaches. One was motivated. The other was not.
500,000ags
AG
To be honest Kyle Allen was just as immature or entitled as Kyler Murray, I don't know how you can see anything different.

Kyle Allen has the tools of a prototypical NFL QB. On his best days, he could have competed with anyone. But his mentality was baby soft. His decision to go to Houston was baby soft. His play at Houston was baby soft. To this day, his physical tools cannot be questioned, and hopefully he can find the mentality to be successful. I wish him a ton of success because Sumlin and Spavital did him very little favors in their combined approach.

I see Kyle Allen and I consider Jake Fromm. Fromm has done nothing but win, but Georgia's recruiting has him constantly looking over his shoulder and competing for his job during the off-season. Instead of being baby soft, he's unrelenting in giving up his job or being a leader on the team.

Kyler Murray was anointed, and I'm sure entitlement runs rampant. But Jesus, the kid is yet to fail on the field. He's maybe the best TX high school QB of all-time, turned down $MMs to play pro baseball, he won a Heisman, made the collegiate playoff, and was drafted #1 overall. That's not luck, and not given.

Freaking Sumlin, and Spav. Ridiculous.
greg.w.h
AG
I wish Kyle, Kyler, and Kevin "Kylest" Sumlin the best...
Threadbare
ghowe said:

Threadbare said:

NathanChristie said:

Kyle and Kyler quit just like any of you would quit a job in a toxic environment. They transferred even though either of them could very well have been the QB1 the following year at A&M. That should tell you something.
"Toxic"?

Please elaborate.

I've heard it said that Sumlin was inattentive and didn't communicate well.

I've heard it said that he played Allen when he was hurt (though, without starting the argument all over again, that can be viewed in different ways).

I've heard he made promises to Murray that couldn't be kept, though, again, it seems mostly speculative and unclear exactly what was promised.

None of these things seem positive, but "toxic" is a pretty strong word.

Was Sumlin verbally abusing them? Ridiculing them? Blatantly lying to them on a regular basis? None of that seems like Sumlin's style.

Was it toxic because they didn't like each other? Did teammates mistreat them?

To me, it seems like they both had pretty big egos, and utterly resented each other, and utterly resented him for even considering the other guy. Is there anything to that?

And, as far as Sumlin, his failures are well documented. I leave you with this

I guess it depends on ones definition of toxic. KS did some things well and some not well. On balance he was not getting it done, few dispute that. When two of the most critical people to the success of an organization leave simultaneously because management has created an environment & atmosphere they no longer wish to be a part of I don't think toxic is an unreasonable word to use. Failure to develop a culture & team identity was his greatest shortcoming. His problem was leadership. Were these bad kids, prima donna's... I don't know or care. He recruited these guys and brought them in, it's his job to make it work and get the most out of every player. And he did not.
I guess it does, because I still don't think I see anything in that paragraph that provides an actual example.

You merely state they left "because management has created an environment & atmosphere that they no longer wish to be a part of" without giving any specifics. This sounds like a vague HR complaint from an underperformer...

"Failure to develop a culture & team identity?" Did Christian Kirk think so? Did Josh Reynolds think so? Did Cullen Gillaspia think so? Did Myles Garret, or Daeshon Hall, or Armani Watts think so? Did Jake Matthews or his brother that followed him here think so?

I'm not giving Sumlin a complete pass on it, but I just don't understand all the folks who want to do exactly that for Allen and Murray...

And, of course, to keep it in perspective; it should always be noted that things don't work out between people in work situations all the time. Regardless of how much "blame" each deserves, I don't think any of the three are anywhere near a villain in any of this.

But it seems like a lot of people here just really, really need Sumlin to be a villain...

AggieBlu
AG
dubbed THE SUMLIN BOWL!!!!!! lol
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
nomadic_ag
AG
https://www.yahoo.com/news/allen-murray-discuss-potential-qb-194245708.html
GinMan
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

Flashdiaz said:

yeah but Kyle Allen (before Josh Reynolds):

Whatever happened to this girl? Some TexAgs stocker post her IG.

Haley Graves was the AggieFBlife sports reporter and also had a brief job with Fox FS1 she is married to Josh Reynolds
AggieBlu
AG
Not married... shacking! LOL
I will never understand how someone can tell so many lies and not feel bad about it...
FriscoKid
AG
Anyone watching this?
Threadbare
FriscoKid said:

Anyone watching this?
There's some paint drying on my back porch.

I'm torn...
PooDoo
PooDoo
AG
Artorias
AG
KA looking really good
Witness
PascalsWager said:

Kyle Allen has failed at every place he's been after high school. I think he keeps getting chances because he LOOKS like a QB.

By the way all the news I'm seeing suggests that Cam is merely questionable. Are the Panthers throwing the towel on the season already?

16/21 234yds 3tds in the 3rd quarter on the road. Not bad for a failure
Post removed:
by user
gopitt
Always thought Allen was extremely talented.
Immature? Yeah, most 18 year old kids are.
He was treated horribly at A&M. Forced to play hurt, benched, embarrassed by Sumlin and on and on.
Don't blame him one bit For transferring.
Playing like a true pro today. Hope he kicks Murray's ass.
Unemployed
AG
Allen got 4 TDs now.
Artorias
AG
KA completely outperforming KM today.

Sitting at a 150 QBR late in the 4th.
Leander - Ag
Schrute Farms
Allen is only succeeding because *looks at excuse book* he's playing the 31st ranked defense. He could never handle a real NFL defense.
zephyr88
AG
It's amazing what can happen with the right kind of coaching.

Kyler's not having a bad day, but Kyle is clearly getting the best of the birds and is having a banner day.

oh, and **** you Sumlin - what a dumbass...
Post removed:
by user
Artorias
AG
zephyr88 said:

Kyler's not having a bad day, but Kyle is clearly getting the best of the birds and is having a banner day.

KM is looking pretty pedestrian today. QBR is 84, has been sacked 6 times, only 4 yards per completion
swc93
AG
10yds an attempt versus 4yds
cevans_40
AG
2 picks for Kyler. Rough day and Kyle gets a chance to throw TD # 5
gopitt
Great for Kyle Allen. Always though he was a class kid, especially compared to pompous Kyler and his more pompous old man.
Sponge
AG
Don't forget about the 7 sacks.
Sponge
AG
8 sacks.
Artorias
AG
Sponge said:

8 sacks.
So much for being a good scrambler
rangerdanger
AG
Wonder if KA is going to hang KM by his undies in the locker room for old time sake...
EliteZags
AG
was fed up with having Russell Wilson's kicker cuz he's been too efficient in the redzone only TD's through 2 games so I thought hey I'll go grab KYLE ALLEN's kicker instead

5 TD's later.... but then late turnover gives me my first damn FG of the season
mshipp88
Seems like Kyle did fine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.