Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Allen

78,824 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmellba99
turboboost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
4 said:

What? You mean they both really are good? But, but I was assured by texags posters that they would never amount to anything and we were better off without them.

Dammit, Texags assured us that Mond will never be an accurate QB.

2019 - Texags: "Bring back Azz my dude from Arky, he's lighting it up. Mond sucks!

2021 - Kellen Mond goes 17/28, 334 yard passing, 80 yds rushing in a playoff victory for the Dolphins.

2021 - Texags: " Meh, he's still only a 61% passer. Anyhow, get Calzada out, he's garbage! Bring in King, he should be ready!"

2022 - Rinse and repeat
Schrute Farms
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Kyle Allen can flat out throw the damn ball. How he managed to flame out so badly at two different programs is just baffling. He did have the misfortune of having to deal with both Kevin Sumlin and Major Applewhite, however, which might have had just a little something to do with it.

Kyle Allen never had the chance to make a mistake and grow.

People always forget what he did for us after Hill imploded. Allen had a strong arc and then he pretty much had to play perfect just to keep his position. At UH, Applewhite was going to pull him and first signs of struggle....and did.

Allen is progressing in the NFL because he's finally getting a chance to develop.
Ulrich
I'll always believe he was playing with an injured shoulder that last year. Things could have turned out very differently without that hit he took against Mississippi State.
ebag02
AG
Pick up that Arizona defense and feast off those pick 6s if Kyle Allen starts.
Tamu_mgm
AG
4 said:

cevans_40 said:

I am not sure there was ever a noticeable consensus that both Kyler and Kyle were not good. They both quit on their team but they both have physical gifts. Let's see how their NFL careers play out before we start proclaiming them the next coming of Joe Montana.

So now the bar for a good is Joe Montana?

They are both starting NFL quarterbacks, and one of them won the Heisman trophy.

I'd say the jury is no longer out as to whether or not they're any good
Absolutely the jury is still out at minimum on Kyle Allen. He's in the NFL, cool. A lot of QBs make it to the NFL, but very few last, even fewer get a chance to start (he's only starting because Cam is out), and even fewer have an impact that results in winning.

Does Kyle Allen have talent and potential still as a QB? Absolutely, but he has not proven anything yet in the NFL. Let's not forget how forgettable his time at UH was.
ghowe
AG
Threadbare said:

NathanChristie said:

Kyle and Kyler quit just like any of you would quit a job in a toxic environment. They transferred even though either of them could very well have been the QB1 the following year at A&M. That should tell you something.
"Toxic"?

Please elaborate.

I've heard it said that Sumlin was inattentive and didn't communicate well.

I've heard it said that he played Allen when he was hurt (though, without starting the argument all over again, that can be viewed in different ways).

I've heard he made promises to Murray that couldn't be kept, though, again, it seems mostly speculative and unclear exactly what was promised.

None of these things seem positive, but "toxic" is a pretty strong word.

Was Sumlin verbally abusing them? Ridiculing them? Blatantly lying to them on a regular basis? None of that seems like Sumlin's style.

Was it toxic because they didn't like each other? Did teammates mistreat them?

To me, it seems like they both had pretty big egos, and utterly resented each other, and utterly resented him for even considering the other guy. Is there anything to that?

And, as far as Sumlin, his failures are well documented. I leave you with this

I guess it depends on ones definition of toxic. KS did some things well and some not well. On balance he was not getting it done, few dispute that. When two of the most critical people to the success of an organization leave simultaneously because management has created an environment & atmosphere they no longer wish to be a part of I don't think toxic is an unreasonable word to use. Failure to develop a culture & team identity was his greatest shortcoming. His problem was leadership. Were these bad kids, prima donna's... I don't know or care. He recruited these guys and brought them in, it's his job to make it work and get the most out of every player. And he did not.
infinity ag
cevans_40 said:

infinity ag said:

cevans_40 said:

I am not sure there was ever a noticeable consensus that both Kyler and Kyle were not good. They both quit on their team but they both have physical gifts. Let's see how their NFL careers play out before we start proclaiming them the next coming of Joe Montana.

"they quit on the team" is the lamest reason given to explain this. It's just something Ags on here say to make themselves feel better.

Sumlin's teams were a cluster. These guys did the right thing in their mind to make a career for themselves. It's like you work for a company that is self-destructing. Do you "stick around" or do you just look for another job? I would just look elsewhere and GTFO the company and it's dumb leaders.

I wish Kyle and Kyler the best. I wish they had done their thing at A&M.

I don't hold any animus toward either. I understand why they quit and don't really blame them for doing so but the fact remains that they quit. I wish they would have never signed on to begin with as recruiting was the predominant reason Sumlin was extended.

You are wrong there.
Sumlin quit on them. It was Sumlin's job to recruit and follow through with giving them football opportunities, especially for the high recruits. He did nothing of the sort.
Eventually K&K realized that Sumlin was a fraud and didn't want to jeopardize their FB careers so they left seeking better opportunities.

America is a land of opportunities. They both did just that.

I wish they are both super successful and both win Superbowls and stick it in the face of Sumlin and the other Ags who laughed at them.
ebag02
AG
LOL
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
PascalsWager said:

Kyle Allen has failed at every place he's been after high school. I think he keeps getting chances because he LOOKS like a QB.
Hi - this is kind of a dumb comment.
I am here for the comments.
Whatthefunyo
Flashdiaz said:

yeah but Kyle Allen (before Josh Reynolds):

Whatever happened to this girl? Some TexAgs stocker post her IG.
rbcs_2
AG
She married Josh Reynolds, I think.
ironmanag
AG
Kyle Allen finished his college career as a third string QB at a conference USA school.

He is in the NFL because he has arm talent. He is not now nor will he ever be a starter. He is a backup that will happen to maybe start because of an injury.

Look at the backup QBs in the NFL and then tell me the NFL teams always make good choices with backups.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
HoustonAg2106
AG
ironmanag said:

Kyle Allen finished his college career as a third string QB at a conference USA school.

He is in the NFL because he has arm talent. He is not now nor will he ever be a starter. He is a backup that will happen to maybe start because of an injury.

Look at the backup QBs in the NFL and then tell me the NFL teams always make good choices with backups.
I agree he is not a starting quarterback in the NFL and will only play because the starter is injured, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be there. He will have a long career as a backup which is nothing to look down on. He started last year against the Saints and went 16 for 27 for 228 yards 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions (also rushed for a touchdown). That's exactly what a backup is supposed to do when called upon.
Gardening Ag
ironmanag said:

Kurt Warner. Tom Brady.

AG
Tamu_mgm said:

4 said:

cevans_40 said:

They are both starting NFL quarterbacks, and one of them won the Heisman trophy.

Absolutely the jury is still out at minimum on Kyle Allen. He's in the NFL, cool. A lot of QBs make it to the NFL

Stopped reading right here.
ebag02
AG
Rusty_Shakleford said:

ironmanag said:

Kurt Warner. Tom Brady.

Tom Brady finished his career as a starter at Michigan and went 10-2 and finished #5. Kyle Allen is no Brady.
HoustonAg2106
AG
ebag02 said:

Rusty_Shakleford said:

ironmanag said:

Kurt Warner. Tom Brady.

Tom Brady finished his career as a starter at Michigan and went 10-2 and finished #5. Kyle Allen is no Brady.
BastropCountyAg
AG
So...should I risk starting Cam Newton in my Fantasy Football League or do I pick up Kyle Allen and see how well he does?
HoustonAg2106
AG
BastropCountyAg said:

So...should I risk starting Cam Newton in my Fantasy Football League or do I pick up Kyle Allen and see how well he does?
It doesn't have to be Kyle Allen, but I would start looking for a new quarterback even if Cam plays this week.
ebag02
AG
Only on texags does this point need to be made.
Callate Donnie
My biggest question is why did Allen choose Houston? Everyone but him seemed to know Herman was moving on the following season.

His getting benched at Houston may have been a result of inability to adjust to the consequences of his poor decision making.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Callate Donnie said:

My biggest question is why did Allen choose Houston? Everyone but him seemed to know Herman was moving on the following season.

His getting benched at Houston may have been a result of inability to adjust to the consequences of his poor decision making.
There was no guarantee that Herman was leaving Houston the next year, if Charlie Strong and Les Miles had won 10 games that year Herman could still be at Houston (probably not, but you get my point).
aggiedaddie
JMJLAW said:

Kyler Murray- not so much. He had talent and would have been good to keep.

Pick 6 Allen- glad he picked himself up. But he sucked for us and counsel win the starting job at UH.
We had some excellent talent here and none of them (Manziel excepted) lived up to their potential, so I'm thinking they were not coached/handled very well. The exceptions were Knight who was coached elsewhere and Manziel who could do anything but stay out of trouble. .

Allen, Murray, Hill, Hubenak, Starkel. Wasted.
gamedrunk
AG
I wonder what Houston fans think of KA. I mean they were gifted a 5-star recruit and NFL-caliber QB only to bench him.

Seriously, this is an amazing story. Props to his family and support system. Does anyone know how he made it to where he is today? Truly amazing.
fightinag
Aggiebrewer said:

i really supported Sumlin.

That make one !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
aggiedaddie
Tamu_mgm said:

4 said:

ceva said:

Absolutely the jury is still out at minimum on Kyle Allen. He's in the NFL, cool. A lot of QBs make it to the NFL, but very few last, even fewer get a chance to start (he's only starting because Cam is out), and even fewer have an impact that results in winning.

Does Kyle Allen have talent and potential still as a QB? Absolutely, but he has not proven anything yet in the NFL. Let's not forget how forgettable his time at UH was.
Allen's already been cut from the Panthers twice and is back due to double injuries. He has throwing ability but is a head case. I suppose that could have been fixed at A&M but the coaching staff couldn't or wouldn't. Spavital may not have been quite ready for prime time. I also suspect Allen isn't tough enough for the NFL. Or the SEC, for that matter, but time will tell. Just going by what I remember seeing.

BTW, my recollection of the Alabama game was that we were playing them pretty even and the 12th man had their quarterback flustered. That was the loudest game I've ever been part of. It was occasionally scary loud. Crowd noise caused offensive confusion and 2 or 3 mistakes including having to take unnecessary timeouts. They were shaken and starting to get a bit fearful of a second straight loss. The pick sixes were fatal in what might have been another historic win over the tide. That's how it looked from the way up in my seat.

Tamu_mgm
AG
4 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

4 said:

cevans_40 said:

Absolutely the jury is still out at minimum on Kyle Allen. He's in the NFL, cool. A lot of QBs make it to the NFL

Stopped reading right here.
Then clearly my point went over your head if you stopped there.
PA24
AG
gamedrunk said:

I wonder what Houston fans think of KA. I mean they were gifted a 5-star recruit and NFL-caliber QB only to bench him.

Seriously, this is an amazing story. Props to his family and support system. Does anyone know how he made it to where he is today? Truly amazing.
Didn't we have a 5 star basketball player that was benched at A&M and still played in the NBA?

To make a NFL team takes above average talent, thousands would love to be in Allen shoes including Johnny.
EliteZags
AG
you mean DeAdndre Jordan the only 5star the bball team has ever signed?

btw he came off the bench behind a talented veteran frontcourt and nearly averaged a double double as a freshman and only season
EliteZags
AG
top 10 SEC home game in 3 days and the biggest threads on pg 1 are about Kyle Allen, Nick Starkel, and a tomato
offseason can't end soon enough
Threadbare
gamedrunk said:

I think someone else nailed it already. Great arm, right size, good vision, and at least border-line head case...

Sounds as plausible as anything...

As far as Applewhite benching him and keeping him benched in 2017:

1) Allen was completely ineffective against Tech in the 3rd game, looking confused, inaccurate with his passing, and not careful with the football. (217 yards passing on 39 attempts, 1 TD, 2 INT, 2 fumbles (with one lost)), down 27-10 when he was pulled late in the 3rd quarter.)

2) Kyle Postma came in and almost won the game coming back from 17 points down to lose by 3. The sense was definitely that if he had come in earlier, they would have won.

I don't know what happened after that. I'm not completely sure that KA came back breathing fire to fight for the job...

Applewhite was on a short leash from the get-go. After losing Sumlin and Herman within a couple of years of each other, with the average Tony Levine in between, UH didn't want to have another good coach pilfered, but they were also mad and determined not to take a step backward.

I think Applewhite picked the guy with more spark, who was also much more of a running threat.

Later that season, Postma faltered and D'Eriq King got healthy, who was the QB that their fans say looked best in spring ball before he got hurt.

As far as I know, Allen never saw the field again in Houston, though I'd have to look at some box scores to be sure.

Schrute Farms
aggiedaddie said:

Tamu_mgm said:

4 said:

ceva said:

Allen's already been cut from the Panthers twice and is back due to double injuries. He has throwing ability but is a head case.

This is incorrect. Kyle was signed as an undrafted free agent and given a spot on the practice squad.

He did exactly what he was supposed to do and injuries gave him shot on the full roster.

He did exactly what he was supposed to do against NO and earned the right to compete for the #2 spot this season.

He did exactly what he was supposed to do and beat out Will Grier for the backup spot.

And now he's potentially starting again this week.

The kid is grinding and making the best out of his opportunities.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The kid is making league minimum. That's more than just about anyone else here right now.
Schrute Farms
If anyone is wondering, Allen made $56k last year between the practice squad and full roster.

He's on pace to make $495k this season.
Sponge
AG
Nice write-up

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.