Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The debate for Chad Morris

19,575 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cc10106
TXAGBQ76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
another tradition is we have fired every coach we have ever had (except for the Bear and DX Bible as best I can find)
Joe Exotic
AG
Eagle78 said:

WestAustinAg, you have an awful lot of faith in a guy who has never proven himself as a head coach for a Division I college football program. And remember, being a successful college football coach involves a different skill set than being a successful college football offensive coordinator. That's all I have to say.

It worked okay for OU and Stoops.
Eagle78
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

WestAustinAg, you have an awful lot of faith in a guy who has never proven himself as a head coach for a Division I college football program. And remember, being a successful college football coach involves a different skill set than being a successful college football offensive coordinator. That's all I have to say.

Yes it did. But we are in the SEC, and much tougher league than the little 12. It is the league where the creme de la creme go to play -- the league of champions. For that reason, we need a low risk hire, i.e., a guy who has proven that he is successful as a head coach at the D1 level. We're too big a fish to sell ourselves short by settling on anything less. That is why I say, hey, put Chad into the mix if he wins at least 9 this season. If he cannot do that, his name should be removed from consideration IMHO.
74Ag1
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

another tradition is we have fired every coach we have ever had (except for the Bear and DX Bible as best I can find)

Bellard and Sherrill resigned
Bunk Moreland
Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Yes it did. But we are in the SEC, and much tougher league than the little 12. It is the league where the creme de la creme go to play -- the league of champions. For that reason, we need a low risk hire, i.e., a guy who has proven that he is successful as a head coach at the D1 level. We're too big a fish to sell ourselves short by settling on anything less. That is why I say, hey, put Chad into the mix if he wins at least 9 this season. If he cannot do that, his name should be removed from consideration IMHO.

Not saying, just saying.... The big 12 was pretty legit in the years heading into the season Stoops was hired.
74Ag1
AG
LonnieBob said:

I'm a coach who has had the chance to get to know Coach Morris and his staff these last couple years so I will throw in my 2 cents.

First off, they are the most hospitable staff in the state, if not the country when it comes to HS coaches. Coach Morris knows that when it comes to building a program, it starts with relationships with the HS coaches across the state. Plus, when I say hospitable, I mean pop in whenever you want as a coach to talk ball. I've sat in the OCs office several times to talk Xs and Os.

Coach Morris isn't just looking for a quick fix. A lot of people point to his first season (2-10) but he played a lot of freshmen knowing that he had to lay the foundation first, even if they took losses (some big) early on. The administration was very supportive of his plan. You could see it starting to pay off last season, falling just short of a bowl game.

Lastly, a lot of people (not everyone on here but a lot) don't know what all goes along with being a head coach, really at any level. Only about 5-10% of it is actual Xs and Os. I don't think many people realize it but there is a lot of excitement starting to be built about SMU football. It has been a long time since it has been that way.

Once again, just my 2 cents.

I hope Coach Sumlin is able to get the job done. As a coach, I'm not going to call for another Coach to get fired. Just wanted to say my part for those bashing on Coach Morris.

Good insight Coach
TyHolden
AG
This bridge will be crossed/burned when we get to it
Russ Dalrymple
AG
DrZ said:

The most overrated aspect of head coaching is this idea of former ties to Texas high schools.
The greatest recruiters in the history of the state of Texas post Royal were Jackie, Mack Brown, Switzer and Stoops none which had these ties.
Who had ties - Briles, every high school coach that knew him hated him. It didn't seem to bother his recruiting.
Spike Dykes-okay is that what we want a good old well liked guy.
We are trying to recruit the stars. Their high school coach has little to no impact on where these guys go. Maybe with the 2-3 star guy, maybe.
Being a former Texas high school coach doesn't hurt you but it doesn't really help with the top guys either.

You clearly don't understand the relationship those coaches you listed had with HS coaches in the state. They had to work to get those established. Some of those guys were taking over programs in the dumps.

Having relationships with Texas coaches has a big impact on recruiting.
TXAGBQ76
AG
True, forgot about that. So we are at four non-fired coaches
Eagle78
Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Not saying, just saying.... The big 12 was pretty legit in the years heading into the season Stoops was hired.
Perhaps, but let's face it. Look at Clemson. Look at how they have performed after Morris left. His departure sure did not hurt Clemson. Further, doesn't Clemson's ascendancy to the top of the college football world after Morris' departure beg the question: how much of Clemson's success while he was there was on account of Chad Morris vs. how much of it had to do with Dabo Swinney?
Habanero Guero
AG
Oh next coach needs to be born in Ohio. It's the common denominator for cfb coaching greats
Bunk Moreland
Eagle78 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Perhaps, but let's face it. Look at Clemson. Look at how they have performed after Morris left. His departure sure did not hurt Clemson. Further, doesn't Clemson's ascendancy to the top of the college football world after Morris' departure beg the question: how much of Clemson's success while he was there was on account of Chad Morris vs. how much of it had to do with Dabo Swinney?

I don't disagree with your point. Don't deviate or read too much into my post. My only point was that Stoops walked into a buzzsaw of a conference too and came up diamonds. So that portion of your argument didn't fly.
jpd301
AG
LonnieBob said:

I'm a coach who has had the chance to get to know Coach Morris and his staff these last couple years so I will throw in my 2 cents.
Just wanted to say my part for those bashing on Coach Morris.
Thanks for your insightful post LonnieBob. I'm curious if you would post your impressions regarding Sumlin and his staff and their relationships with the high school coaching community etc.
Eagle78
Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Yes it did. But we are in the SEC, and much tougher league than the little 12. It is the league where the creme de la creme go to play -- the league of champions. For that reason, we need a low risk hire, i.e., a guy who has proven that he is successful as a head coach at the D1 level. We're too big a fish to sell ourselves short by settling on anything less. That is why I say, hey, put Chad into the mix if he wins at least 9 this season. If he cannot do that, his name should be removed from consideration IMHO

I don't disagree with your point. Don't deviate or read too much into my post. My only point was that Stoops walked into a buzzsaw of a conference too and came up diamonds. So that portion of your argument didn't fly.
Look, shouldn't we play the odds? I mean, there are exceptions to most situations. But really, how many coordinators stepped right into a Power 5 job and had things work out for them? Wouldn't we be better off playing the odds and go with successful head coach from a lesser D1 school? As I said earlier, being a head coach involves a different skill set from coordinating.

Don't take anything I've said as bashing Morris. No, it is not that at all. Rather, I just see A&M as one of the big fishes of college football. I say that not because of our history of winning 'ships but because of our potential. As far as A&M goes, the sky is the limit. When you consider our location, our facilities, our resources ... there is no reason why we should not be a perennial powerhouse of college football. All the ingredients are there for us to equal to LSU and Bama on the field. All the ingredients save one ... for whatever reason, our current coach just can't get the job done. Maybe he is too nice a guy, and we need a head coach who can be a hard case. Who knows but I do know our program is like owning a Ferrari. With the right operator behind the wheel we will be very very tough.

just should not give the wheels to a Ferrari to a coach who has not truly proven himself as a head coach. As of this moment, Morris has not proven himself capable of taking A&M to the next level. He may well do it if he gets the chance but that is besides the point. The point is that we should only hire one who is a proven too notch collegiate head coach. Now, all these things being said, if Morris goes out and wins a bunch of games next season then he will have proven himself and my views on his acceptability as Sumlin's successor will change. At that juncture and only at that juncture will I be ready to jump on board the Morris train.
Russ Dalrymple
AG
jpd301 said:

LonnieBob said:

Just wanted to say my part for those bashing on Coach Morris.
Thanks for your insightful post LonnieBob. I'm curious if you would post your impressions regarding Sumlin and his staff and their relationships with the high school coaching community etc.

They seem to have a pretty good relationship with high school coaches. I've always enjoyed talking with them when they stop by during recruiting. I don't know if they are as open in terms of coaches visiting with things like spring ball, etc. Now, don't quote me on that but that's from what I've gathered.

Another staff that is one to keep an eye on (barring NCAA sanctions) is Baylor. Coach Rhule has gone a long way to trying to regain people's trust there, especially by adding 3 HS coaches to his staff: Joey McGuire, Shawn Bell, and David Wetzel (was THSCA President).

Back to my comment from earlier about the impact of HS coaches in recruiting, it isn't that a coach is going to blatantly steer a player to a particular school but they can go a long ways in helping those college coaches.

We give all recruiters a prospect list. Obviously, we will tell them which ones can play at their level etc. and will generally do everything we can to help them and help the kids get to play somewhere at the next level along with telling them about any players at other schools that they should look at.

The ones we don't help are those coaches who come in and try to big time us. Sometimes we won't even meet with them.

Lungblood
What actions/comments would you consider to be "big timing"?
Russ Dalrymple
AG
Basically like they are too good to even talk to you. Believe it or not, have had more issues with that from FCS and D2 coaches than anything.

Most coaches (including overwhelming majority of D1 coaches) will come in and talk with you for a while besides just recruiting. May be Xs and Os or other things.
Lungblood
Interesting. I wonder if those lower level guys think that's the way it's done by the D1 club members.
Joe Exotic
AG
Eagle78 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Morris pretty much built their offense from the ground up and trained the guys running it now. He built the car and handed someone else the keys.
Eagle78
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Morris pretty much built their offense from the ground up and trained the guys running it now. He built the car and handed someone else the keys.
So you're saying it was 100% Chad Morris and zero percent Dabo Swinney?
74Ag1
AG
Texas Tau Ag17 said:

Oh next coach needs to be born in Ohio. It's the common denominator for cfb coaching greats

DJ Durkin (Youngstown, OH)
Coached under Myer and Harbaugh
Eagle78
74Ag1 said:

Texas Tau Ag17 said:

DJ Durkin (Youngstown, OH)
Coached under Myer and Harbaugh
Maryland plays tu the first game of the season in September. If Maryland prevails, especially if it kicks tu's butt, expect Durkin to move to the tippy top of our list of possible replacements should Summy falter next year. I really like the guy because he is a defensive savant. What we know about football is this: defenses win championships. It has always been that way and always will be that way.
MyComputerCareer
Do you give Sumlin all the credit for the 2012 and 2013 teams success? If not, should the co-OC's Morris left behind get all the credit for Clemsons 2015 and 2016 success? Isn't DJ Durkin 6-7 at Maryland?
Joe Exotic
AG
Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Eagle78 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Eagle78 said:

So you're saying it was 100% Chad Morris and zero percent Dabo Swinney?

Only in regards to he offense.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Odds are fantastic this is Sumlins last year (6-6 won't cut it)

But man, I hope we can do better than CM

Tired of our "national searches" meaning "which D2 Texas programs coach is a friend of the Houston or Dallas BMAs??

That's our #1 biggest issue right there
TyHolden
AG
When do the El Paso bmas get a chot man???
Joe Exotic
AG
Maroon Dawn said:

Odds are fantastic this is Sumlins last year (6-6 won't cut it)

But man, I hope we can do better than CM

Tired of our "national searches" meaning "which D2 Texas programs coach is a friend of the Houston or Dallas BMAs??

That's our #1 biggest issue right there

Chad Morris doesn't really have friends that are big money boosters. He doesn't play that game. Just keeps his head down and does his job. The boosters do have a high opinion of him though. Probably one of the only guys that they both agree on.
technoviking
AG
If he were to come here and ostensibly work for the boosters, do you think they would change his behavior as a "keep your head down" coach at all?
HoustonAg2014
AG
Yes Durkin took a 3-9 team and turned them into a 6-7 team. He did get kicked all over the field by some big name schools so I think he is probably at least 2 years away from being ready for a big time coaching gig. If he can win 9 games he will start getting some good looks.

I think most people on here agree that if CM wins 9 games at SMU this year then he is worthy of a look depending on how we do. Even if we end up hiring him I would like to have a National search for the first time since Fran before we stay in state since we always seem to try to stay local.
Joe Exotic
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Yes Durkin took a 3-9 team and turned them into a 6-7 team. He did get kicked all over the field by some big name schools so I think he is probably at least 2 years away from being ready for a big time coaching gig. If he can win 9 games he will start getting some good looks.

I think most people on here agree that if CM wins 9 games at SMU this year then he is worthy of a look depending on how we do. Even if we end up hiring him I would like to have a National search for the first time since Fran before we stay in state since we always seem to try to stay local.

Schools our size do not do "national searches". A&M, like all other programs, have their next guy pretty much identified prior to terminating the current one. That's how it's done. The "national search" and the "we have retained a search consultant" is just window dressing for the fans.
FishingAggie
I don't think the average fan understands the importance of a hc's relationship with the high school coaches. It's a huge, huge factor in recruiting

People don't realize how many times a high school coach picks up the phone and calls a college coach and says " you've gotta see this kid". Happens all the time. No star service can see ALL the kids. People don't get that. That's why LSU owns their state. They are pretty much a one state recruiter and they win.

With that said, i mentioned no coach, no name , nothing. Just something to consider when you're wanting a guy from out of state or not familiar with Texas.

That's the single reason briles was successful at Baylor.
HoustonAg2014
AG
I don't disagree that its window dressing but I would still expect feelers to be put out to see who might be interested if we were to let Sumlin go... Obviously there is a list out there but we are dumb as bricks if our list only has one person on it. That would be very close minded and I don't think anyone can disagree with that. People are literally dieing without seeing a championship in their lifetime. We cannot afford to continue to screw this up.
TyHolden
AG
if durkin beats texas to start the season, this place will be all over him.
Joe Exotic
AG
Feelers to some degree are usually always out. Some of the other things are just known by everyone. For example, everyone pretty much knows that Chris Petersen will never leave Washington. Yet you'll have people on this website scream to the heaven we should "back the truck up for him".
MyComputerCareer
DSAg44 said:

if durkin beats texas to start the season, this place will be all over him.

Totally frothy. And we'll selectively ignore that Morris already took a lesser talented team and beat Herman heads up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.