Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The debate for Chad Morris

19,555 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cc10106
trm94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This decision has already been made by those who matter. Hint - not one person who actively posts on this site is one of those people. Listen to people like Bayside, and you will know what is coming.
TyHolden
AG
bayside is the pool guy right?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
FishingAggie said:

I don't think the average fan understands the importance of a hc's relationship with the high school coaches. It's a huge, huge factor in recruiting

People don't realize how many times a high school coach picks up the phone and calls a college coach and says " you've gotta see this kid". Happens all the time. No star service can see ALL the kids. People don't get that. That's why LSU owns their state. They are pretty much a one state recruiter and they win.

With that said, i mentioned no coach, no name , nothing. Just something to consider when you're wanting a guy from out of state or not familiar with Texas.

That's the single reason briles was successful at Baylor.

Are you sure it wasn't the rape parties and the fact he took in every thug that got booted off other teams?
trm94
AG
I will not tell more, but I can say my friends are well-off boosters from MULTIPLE schools - low to medium range in nature. The thing that is amazing to me is that they are virtually ALL of the opinion that Chad Morris will be the coach at A&M next year. I don't know any of the decision-makers myself, but these people do.

Combine that with the chatter from other groups, and the writing is on the wall. It's about as suspenseful as Herman going to the sips. I'm okay with that, because Chad is on the verge of turning it around at SMU. It takes time to rebuild, but the pieces are almost in place.

And make no mistake - Morris would have the support of all the money guys. That is important. BTW, Lincoln Riley was promoted at OU this Spring because TT was targeting him for their next coach. They also have their eyes on Morris, but know that we will have to pass on him first. What would be key is the assistants that Morris could bring with him to A&M. As we've seen, young coaches typically don't have that kind of pull.

If Sumlin is to save his job, and IMO he is basically screwed, it will be his assistants that do so. He has put together a pretty decent staff, but it may be too late
Amazing Moves
Their offense looks really good this year. Just depends on their defense. A few other teams in that conference have similar situations. If Morris goes double digits then he will have earned it.

I'd like to see him beat TCU. Here is a good article on their prospects this season. Link
Spyderman
AG
And make no mistake - Morris would have the support of all the money guys.

Question is..would he still be the top guy if not a former student?
trm94
AG
Yes, he probably would. His support comes more from his success at Clemson, and ties to the HS coaches in Texas than it does from A&M. There are NUMEROUS schools who are watching him this season hoping that we go in a different direction.

He won't be at SMU next year
Joe Exotic
AG
Spyderman said:

And make no mistake - Morris would have the support of all the money guys.

Question is..would he still be the top guy if not a former student?

Did Clemson make him the highest paid coordinator because he had A&M ties?
Did SMU hire him for head coach because he had A&M ties?
Did Baylor try to hire him before they hired Rhule (who everyone here likes) because he had A&M ties?
TyHolden
AG
coacheshotseat says he needs 8-9 wins this season to get any kind of serious offer...

http://coacheshotseat.com/
2thFixinAg
DSAg44 said:

coacheshotseat says he needs 8-9 wins this season to get any kind of serious offer...

and they have about as much inside knowledge as most of us... none. they are doing educated (or maybe not) guessing just like we are.
TyHolden
AG
2thFixinAg said:

DSAg44 said:

and they have about as much inside knowledge as most of us... none. they are doing educated (or maybe not) guessing just like we are.
so the chad has no number of Ws he needs? 2-10 and he's in?
FishingAggie
Educated guessing and texags.

Bwahahahaha

Serious though
Bwahahahaha
HoustonAg2014
AG
94, are these the same people that have made decisions the past 80 years since our last national title or was there a changing of the guard that happened where we have new leadership in place? I ask in all seriousness because our decision makers have been a joke for a long time so if it's the same people then please have them pass the torch because the drought is literally killing people. We've won 1 conference title since I was born and I just had my quarter life crisis.

Also, since a few people on here are adamant he WILL be the coach next year, if he wins 7 games at SMU is that the magic number or does it even matter how many wins we has?

Last question, can you name schools besides tech and baylor that are hard after him? Like teams that have a top 25 program of all time? I'm really not impressed by 2 sheety big 12 programs who had a couple good years and who have never played defense in the history of their program. We play Bama and LSU not Kansas and texas...
TyHolden
AG

trm94
AG
Yes, several schools will look at Morris this Fall - both of the Arizona schools and UCLA are the first that come to mind after Texas Tech. I agree he has to have a better year to warrant serious consideration from A&M, but I'm pretty sure that he will. I'm expecting eight wins from SMU this year - experience being the main key. He is also going to be looked at by other programs such as Tennessee, though I expect them to go all in for Kelly from what I am hearing

Unless something amazing happens this year, each of the above will have a job opening, and are looking at Morris. But it is generally acknowledged that Morris is coming here if we want him so the interest level varies. Every non-A&M fan I talk to thinks he would be a good hire. BTW, I don't live in Texas so my view is a lot more varied than the typical A&M fan. I attend games at numerous CFB venues with these booster fans, everywhere from Clemson, UGA, FLA, LSU, MI, OSU, A&M, tu, etc ... Almost every weekend during the season I am somewhere with a client or friend

Interestingly enough, they all seem to think Morris is basically a done deal to A&M. IMO, Sumlin is on the verge of turning things around at A&M but the timing is horrible. He has to either be fired or extended at the end of this year - and he isn't going to have an "extension" year. I intend to watch the games this Fall with lots of alcohol at hand.

Also, A&M is Morris' dream job, just like tu was Herman's
TyHolden
AG
trm94 said:

if he goes 7-5 this year and we give him a herman-like contract (5 year, 5+ mil / year), we're taking a HUGE leap.
OldArmy91
AG
DSAg44 said:

trm94 said:

if he goes 7-5 this year and we give him a herman-like contract (5 year, 5+ mil / year), we're taking a HUGE leap.
Once you figure in his buy out, it's probably more like 7.5M/year
QCAg93
AG
Wow, the season hasn't even started, and we are already talking about a new coach. At least wait until we win the first 6 games then talk about how we couldn't win the last of them. That isn't the time to talk about a coaching change.
MyComputerCareer
You don't think he excluded a few schools when he renegotiated his contract? You don't think he has an idea which schools are interested after pulling back with BU?
Joe Exotic
AG
OldArmy91 said:

DSAg44 said:

trm94 said:

Once you figure in his buy out, it's probably more like 7.5M/year

His buyout is significantly reduced for Texas A&M. He insisted on the same buyout with Baylor. They balked. He stayed at SMU.
TyHolden
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

His buyout is significantly reduced for Texas A&M. He insisted on the same buyout with Baylor. They balked. He stayed at SMU.
what does this mean?
Joe Exotic
AG
It means Baylor didn't want to put an out in his contract for A&M so negotiations fell apart.
TyHolden
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

It means Baylor didn't want to put an out in his contract for A&M so negotiations fell apart.
gotcha - thanks
cc10106
DSAg44 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

what does this mean?
Haha, fk you, Baylor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.