Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The debate for Chad Morris

19,577 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cc10106
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we are talking about ties to College Station/A&M, I would take Larry Fedora over Chad Morris any day of the week.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Urban Meyer being used in the same sentence as Morris at this point is so dumb and delusional. That's a slap in the face to Meyer. His first coaching job he had the greatest turnaround of a program in NCAA history... His record at Bowling Green was 17-6 vs Morris 7-17. He then went on to take Utah the football powerhouse to 22-2 in 2 seasons with a BCS victory and a number 1 overall draft pick.

I don't dislike Morris and maybe some day he will be great but comparing him to "the next Urban Meyer" is ludicrous!
BigRed12
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

And I should have been more specific:

Hire ANY high risk/reward young coach, or go get Chip Kelly! Morris, Fedora, I dont care. All of them have a higher chance of succeeding at A&M than Sumlin does.
Sumlin has a 67.6 win % at TAMU in 5 years

Sumlin had a 67.3 win % at UH in 4 years

Doing roughly the same in a tougher league. Explain how he has not been successful. Should I remind you of the later Slocum years into Fran into Sherman...a decade of dog crap football.
trm94
AG
BTW, there is zero chance Morris is at SMU in 2018. There are quite a few programs who are looking at him, including A&M. It's widely acknowledged by many boosters (not just A&M), that he will be the Aggie coach next year.

It's about as suspenseful as Herman being the sip coach this year. Anyone with ANY connections knew that was going to happen.

So like I said, if you don't like it - sorry. Get on board with the idea.
cc10106
BigRed12 said:

cc10106 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

Morris seems like a different verse of the same song we have been singing for five years. Save your money and keep Sumlin if he is your option.

That being said, all signs point to Sumlin getting this year to win 9 games. If he doesn't it will be Morris.
How so? Morris is a legit offensive mind that would help develop the talent he has rather than just recruit and be CEO and let his coordinators do the rest. He still has plenty left to prove, but I am pretty sure Morris can develop talent not just recruit it.
Morris is Sumlin at U of H by what you just said.
That's not a bad comparison for me considering he was a good hire. Morris hasn't fully proven himself as a SMU's HC yet, but his prior accomplishments and quickly getting SMU back to being competitive in most of their games as well as throttling UH and Herman last year show me he's got something good going. They were TERRIBLE just a few years ago, folks.The difference I already stated is I think Chad can coach up players better than most, not just Sumlin, who can obviously recruit well and hire good coaches to be on his staff as well as be the face of the program. Don't forget Sumlin got to follow Briles after he split for Baylor, so that program was already set up for winning. SMU? Not so much.
MyComputerCareer
So blinded by hindsight, you missed the point entirely. But let me ask, how did we end up with Fran when such a highly regarded coach with obvious upside like Meyer was readily available?
DrZ
AG
Great coaches rise to the top early. They are known to be great coaches at a young age.
The list of coaches that was presented is a fine list. We would be happy to have had any of them.
Morris became a head coach at 46.
Only one coach on that list was older than Morris when he become a head coach. Most were in their 30's.
He spent 15 years in the high school ranks. It is extremely rare for a "great" coach to go that long and not get noticed. Outside of Briles and Malzahn I can not think of former high school coaches that have had a lot of success as a head coach. And those two weren't on your list anyway.
Morris is a fine guy. He is an Aggie. I get it.
But he cant be the guy we fire Sumlin to hire. He just cant be.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Never said he sucks; just said I am concerned based on being a head coach. He may be at SMU that faced the death penalty, but he is not facing the level of competition he will face in the SEC.

Would love to be proven wrong.

I just question everyone saying we need to get someone better, someone who can take us to the next level, etc.- and then hiring someone who has never assembled a team at that level, developed a program at that level, and taken it to the next level, etc. as a head coach.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong!
MikeA245
BigRed12 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Hire ANY high risk/reward young coach, or go get Chip Kelly! Morris, Fedora, I dont care. All of them have a higher chance of succeeding at A&M than Sumlin does.

Doing roughly the same in a tougher league. Explain how he has not been successful. Should I remind you of the later Slocum years into Fran into Sherman...a decade of dog crap football.
Can everyone just refer back to this statement when an argument is made for another coach.
Thanks BigRed
MyComputerCareer
Most football coaches don't start as a high school math teacher and basketball coach either. He may not be ready or the next coach at TAMU, but he is highly analytical, works hard, not afraid to innovate or ask for help. And he's been successful at every stop.
http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/smu-morris/
HoustonAg2014
AG
Question for all the guys saying that we know nothing about football if we don't think Morris is a good hire. I just want to know what an idiot like me is missing with this "can't miss" hire? What research needs to be done that we haven't done? I have a co worker who's son runs elite track with many of the Houston A&M commits who says if Sumlin is replaced the 2018-2019 guys will run for the hill. When I mentioned Chad Morris he tripped and almost dropped his laptop in the parking garage. He looked at me shook his head. His nephew played at lsu in the last 5 years and almost picked us only because of Sumlin.
whatthehey78
AG
You can kiss KDS goodbye...and most will agree after this coming season. Hasn't won anything...anywhere and not any chance he will do so here. Not SEC good.
MikeA245
whatthehey78 said:

You can kiss KDS goodbye...and most will agree after this coming season. Hasn't won anything...anywhere and not any chance he will do so here. Not SEC good.
What grade are you in? Define SEC good, please.
You mean good like Saban?
vander54
S
whatthehey78 said:

Lol
Coconut17
AG
FishingAggie said:

trm94 said:

Only on this message board would a Morris hire be put down. Most knowledgeable CFB fans (this does not include Texags) that I have spoken with think he could do some damage with our resources.

And Kelly would be a disaster hire here. He doesn't like recruiting or dealing with boosters.

That's because most of the people on here don't have a clue about football. They don't understand anything except the snap of the ball. No idea about the background and what's going on. It's sad.

The dumbest of dumb post the most.
Maybe it's because most people think we could hire a coach with a better record than 7-17.

It's not like Clemson is really missing him right now anyway. He recruited Watson there and for that he deserves credit, but it seems some people think he is the only reason Clemson has played in the past two national championships when that's not the case.

Let's say he goes 7-5 this year. Will that convince you he could win championships at A&M?
Agsuffering@bulaw
Some of you forget that our prospectus has changed significantly since 2003. We now have the largest stadium in the state and are the only SEC program in the state. The Big 12 is now the BDF. Stoops retired and the sips just fired a black coach for a pretty boy who kisses his players and has not shown he can win at the next level. Our new conference supports us, promotes us, and gets our games on television.

We are now actually set up to be the best program in our region. That was not the case 15 years ago.
---

Now, Sumlin win % since JFF left: 61.5%
Sumlin win % in conference games since JFF left: 45.8%
Sumlin top 25 finishes since JFF left: 0
Record in bowls since JFF left: 1-2

Programs in State w/ comparable resources: tu
Programs in Division w/ comparable resources: L$U. Bama, Auburn
Does crossover opponent have comparable resources: NO, we are at an advantage vs SC

Record vs conference opponents:

L$U: 0-5, 0-3 since JFF
Bama: 1-4, 0-3
Barn: 3-2, 2-1

OM: 2-3, 0-3 since JFF
MSU: 3-2, 1-2
Arkie: 5-0, 3-0
SC: 3-0, 3-0

That is FOOKING CRUD! In any given year, we ought to lose to Bama, split with L$U/Auburn, and maybe lose 1 other conference game. We ought to win the majority of our bowl games, since the SEC gets to set the match-ups it likes.

IF we cannot do better than KDS, will not demand better than KDS, than we deserve to underachieve perpetually.

I would rather roll the dice on a new hire than tolerate mediocrity any longer.
FishingAggie
Coconut17 said:

FishingAggie said:

trm94 said:

Only on this message board would a Morris hire be put down. Most knowledgeable CFB fans (this does not include Texags) that I have spoken with think he could do some damage with our resources.

And Kelly would be a disaster hire here. He doesn't like recruiting or dealing with boosters.

That's because most of the people on here don't have a clue about football. They don't understand anything except the snap of the ball. No idea about the background and what's going on. It's sad.

The dumbest of dumb post the most.
Maybe it's because most people think we could hire a coach with a better record than 7-17.

It's not like Clemson is really missing him right now anyway. He recruited Watson there and for that he deserves credit, but it seems some people think he is the only reason Clemson has played in the past two national championships when that's not the case.

Let's say he goes 7-5 this year. Will that convince you he could win championships at A&M?

lol. You didn't even read the post.

You can't count his work at death u.

He'll be a head coach somewhere next year ('18)-
And it won't be smu.

One more time ..... I don't know if Chad would win at TAMU. He is a good coach and even if he went 12-0 at smu I'm not sure he'd so well for us in the sec.

The Aggies did well after Jackie left. The machine was in motion. You reload , not rebuild. We can't even get loaded. This sucks.

We need THAT guy. I don't know who it is but I want him.

Sumlin has had enough time. He should he rolling now (not just a recruiter). He needed to win by now. Unfortunately, you take away the greatest college qb and sumlin sucks. Don't see him ever winning a title. Maybe the sec west every 1 in 5 years but never a natty. He's had long enough.

I want the Aggies to go get the BEST coach, but we won't. Maybe we can't. I don't know. We did with Sherrill. We made him the highest paid coach in college football. People laughed at us. Look what it did though.

I want that. I don't know how to get it, but that's what I want. The highest paid coach with high expectations. Losing isn't in his nature. That guy.

Is chad that guy?? No idea. Chad is a good coach.

Sometimes you have to take a chance and hope you catch lightning in a bottle with a coach.

Since I can't see us going out and buying the best coach, like we did with Sherrill, we need some luck with a good hire. Your guess is as good as mine who that is.

Would I throw $3.5m at chad for three years? Why not? Force him to win or move on.

That's exactly what tu is doing with Herman. Praying they found a diamond.
Coconut17
AG
You can't dismiss his work at SMU because it was a really tough situation. Nobody forced him to take the job. It is what it is.

I agree there won't be a slam dunk hire out there, and we need to catch lightning in a bottle. I just think there are other candidates that have proven more as head coach than Chad Morris.
BoozerRed78
AG
We don't want to leave Chad hanging. We don't need a hanging Chad.
cheeky
AG
RAB87 said:

7aggiefan4life said:

I feel like most people want Sumlin gone
Just like most people were going to vote for Crooked Hillary, right? I disagree with you. This is sports-media drama. Most Ags want Sumlin to stay and win. Or win and stay.
So ill informed.
dog
AG
BigRed12 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

How many of Sumlin's wins have been against out of conference "nobodies"?

15 to be exact. What is his winning % against legitimate completion?
Lateralus Ag
AG
cc10106 said:

Don't forget Sumlin got to follow Briles after he split for Baylor, so that program was already set up for winning. SMU? Not so much.

This is an excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe you are right.
Lateralus Ag
AG
dog said:

BigRed12 said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

How many of Sumlin's wins have been against out of conference "nobodies"?

15 to be exact. What is his winning % against legitimate completion?

This is an excellent point. Winning % is a somewhat misleading statistic. Comference and division winning % is much more telling.

Sumlin's conference winning % at Houston was 75%. At TAMU? 52.5%. Say what you will, that is not doing "roughly the same in a tougher league".

Deputy Travis Junior
BigRed12 said:

The win percentage of nearly 70 looks great on the surface, but since that first awesome year with Manziel, we're a game under 0.500 in conference play and have never finished above 4th in the SEC West. That's a very different story.

Sumlin is far from a bad coach, but he's a long way from great too.
ashley
HSFootballAg24 said:

cc10106 said:

HSFootballAg24 said:

cc10106 said:

BTW, I hope Sumlin turns it around and decides he wants to be at TAMU. If not, then be ready if he decides to move on.
I hate this attitude. Let me guess - Sumlin is drunk and lazy as well. I'm sure that he is a hip-hop CEO who can't coach. Give me a f'ing break.
Say what? I never said either of those. He already showed his cards that he wanted to go to the NFL, not that I can really blame him. Are you going to deny that now to fit your narrative?
Nick Saban wants to go to the NFL (but his wife wouldn't let him). Every college coach dreams of coaching in the NFL. You act like he doesn't care about this program just because he wanted (and probably still wants) and NFL job. That reasoning has no basis in reality.

The idea that every college coach wants to coach in the NFL is absurd. That's just not true.
Amazing Moves
Quote:

It's not like Clemson is really missing him right now anyway.
This is the weakest argument of them all. He trained those co-offensive coordinators that currently call plays at Clemson. Chad taught them extensively to recognize tendencies and adjust within his system. They haven't missed a beat due to his influence since he left. That's probably a better description. He deserves credit there.

If you don't have the ability to correctly analyse the research, why form an opinion?

If I was in your shoes on this topic, I'd look into that part a bit further. The info is out there. Instead of posting an assumptive counter that really doesn't do a lot to reinforce your position.

A&M has time on this one. Sumlin is under contract and recruiting well despite average performance. So the next coach will have plenty of talent to work with. A solid candidate should reveal himself in the next year or, two. Whether it's Morris or, someone else.
Leander - Ag
AG
Sumlin 2.0
trm94
AG
I would take Venables first and foremost. But Morris is wanted for good reasons
Coconut17
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Quote:

If you don't have the ability to correctly analyse the research, why form an opinion?

Let's analyze his defense. The two years he's been a head coach, his defenses have ranked #118 and #103 giving up an average of 41 ppg. So lets say he gets the job and hires a big-name DC. Even that doesn't guarantee success, as we've seen.

That's the concern I think many have about Morris. Can he field a respectable defense?

BMX Bandit
Coconut17 said:

Amazing Moves said:

Quote:

Let's analyze his defense. The two years he's been a head coach, his defenses have ranked #118 and #103 giving up an average of 41 ppg. So lets say he gets the job and hires a big-name DC. Even that doesn't guarantee success, as we've seen.

That's the concern I think many have about Morris. Can he field a respectable defense?

If you want to use a much more useful stat look at defense FEI.

Went from 118 to 61.

(I do not want to hire Morris, just providing better info to look at)
technoviking
AG
What's FEI?
BMX Bandit
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef
technoviking
Coconut17
AG
You could pull any of these advanced analytic stats to try to make a point. SMU's defensive S&P+ Ranking went from 124 to 91. Improvement? Yes, but that's still pretty darn bad. And if your defense is giving up 41 points a game, it's gonna be pretty hard to win
TyHolden
AG
If we could get Jim leavitt to coach defense, I don't care who the head coach is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.