Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The debate for Chad Morris

19,475 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cc10106
16Ag18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes he is an Aggie with good coaching experience but do we really want another coach from a small school with no big time winning experience?

Sorry if this has already been a thread

Edit: This is IF Sumlin gets fired
Pylon Cam
AG
The negatives out-weigh the positives.

I'd rather keep Coach Sumlin.
heddy Lamarr
AG
I went ot the Navy/SMU game last season and as is typical, SMU was bigger and faster but Navy scored a touchdown on every drive, rolled up 600 yards of offense with a backup qb and two backup slot backs on the way to dropping 75 points on SMU at their house for like Homecoming or something.......SMU looked like a bad FCS team.....to hire the guy that pulled off that steaming pile of crap would be an embarrassment to the school
Ian Neff
AG
No to Morris.
Snap E Tom
7aggiefan4life said:

What do you think? Do you think it's already been a thread?
16Ag18
AG
Snap E Tom said:

7aggiefan4life said:

What do you think? Do you think it's already been a thread?
Not sure, new to TexAgs. Didn't want to be repetitive.
Bowlinag
AG
Would love to have an Aggie coach, but would like some sort of track record with a bigger school.
16Ag18
AG
That is what I am saying. SMU looked real bad against some teams, especially 51-7 against Memphis at home. Here is the thing I feel like most people want Sumlin gone, personally I wanted that to 2 years ago but I think he is starting to change the way he recruits players and I like the changes he is making. Now if he does bad this year and people call for his firing who could we replace him with?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
There's nothing to debate.

If the BMAs decide to fire Sumlin and hire Morris, they will.
16Ag18
AG
Obviously but I am asking what you would think of the hire
Gigem713
KDS is our coach. Period. End of sentence.
If we go 5-7, then some will likely feel that a change should be made.
Morris is one I would consider. We should also talk to others, like Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Charlie Weis and Hal Mumme. I used to think Jimmy Johnson would be a coach to consider, but I don't think he would do it.
Again, KDS is our coach.
vander54
S
I can't think of one coach that would be a slam dunk hire. Morris would be a big risk. Kelly was run out of college football years ago for his methods. All the other "great" choices are most likely not leaving their programs.
texastexastexas
AG
7aggiefan4life said:

Obviously but I am asking what you would think of the hire
disappointed that we lost Sumlin and even more disappointed that we replaced him with another inexperienced coach.
16Ag18
AG
I agree I believe we should keep Sumlin even if he goes 5-7. I will forever blame this past season collapse on injuries and lack of depth and Sumlin can't control that some of our best players got hurt.
FishingAggie
You guys only know about Chad's hc experience.

Take some time and look up what he's done and where. Educate yourself. There's a reason he was the HIGHEST paid assistant in college football at Clemson (2013 look it up)

Go learn about the guy, then comment. Spouting off about his job at smu just shows you don't know much.

Smu will most likely never recover from the death penalty. If they do it'll be a long time from now.

I'm not saying I'm for or against. Just saying take the time to see who he is.
2thFixinAg
7aggiefan4life said:

I agree I believe we should keep Sumlin even if he goes 5-7. I will forever blame this past season collapse on injuries and lack of depth and Sumlin can't control that some of our best players got hurt.
he won't see thanksgiving if he goes 5-7. and if he only gets to 8 wins again he's probably gone also. if you want him to stay better start pulling for 9 wins.
Bunk Moreland
no debate necessary. He's already locked in should Summy get canned.
16Ag18
AG
I understand that but being a coordinator at Clemson in the ACC with all those guys is a pretty nice gift to have when coaching.

Lets see what he does this this year with SMU
16Ag18
AG
2thFixinAg said:

7aggiefan4life said:

he won't see thanksgiving if he goes 5-7. and if he only gets to 8 wins again he's probably gone also. if you want him to stay better start pulling for 9 wins.
if we start 3-4 and go on to win the next 5 games plus the bowl game and our offense is rolling he will definitely stay.
FishingAggie
7aggiefan4life said:

I understand that but being a coordinator at Clemson in the ACC with all those guys is a pretty nice gift to have when coaching.

He won't do crap with smu. No one will. Good grief. How old are you? He built most of the team that just beat bama.

Like I said. Don't just cock off. Go look up his history.
16Ag18
AG
FishingAggie said:

7aggiefan4life said:

He won't do crap with smu. No one will. Good grief. How old are you? He built most of the team that just beat bama.

What do you mean he wont do crap? He beat Houston which was a great win but had ugly loses to Memphis and Navy late in the season. If the team played like they did against Houston they win most of their games.
RAB87
AG
7aggiefan4life said:

I feel like most people want Sumlin gone
Just like most people were going to vote for Crooked Hillary, right? I disagree with you. This is sports-media drama. Most Ags want Sumlin to stay and win. Or win and stay.
Coconut17
AG
FishingAggie said:

7aggiefan4life said:

Pretty sure Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables played a major part of building that Clemson team too. 7aggiefan4life is right, we need to let the season play out. If he wins 9+ games, I'll be convinced.

Every active head coach that has won a national championship (plus Les Miles and Stoops) won 9+ games within their first 3 seasons as head coach. Next season is Chad's third.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Morris seems like a different verse of the same song we have been singing for five years. Save your money and keep Sumlin if he is your option.

That being said, all signs point to Sumlin getting this year to win 9 games. If he doesn't it will be Morris.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Chad Morris built Clemson just like Kirby Smart built Bama, correct? Both teams really missed them last season and one of them the year before.
aglaw2011
AG
Gigem713 said:

KDS is our coach. Period. End of sentence.
If we go 5-7, then some will likely feel that a change should be made.
Morris is one I would consider. We should also talk to others, like Bob Stoops, Les Miles, Charlie Weis and Hal Mumme. I used to think Jimmy Johnson would be a coach to consider, but I don't think he would do it.
Again, KDS is our coach.
cc10106
Lateralus Ag said:

Morris seems like a different verse of the same song we have been singing for five years. Save your money and keep Sumlin if he is your option.

That being said, all signs point to Sumlin getting this year to win 9 games. If he doesn't it will be Morris.
How so? Morris is a legit offensive mind that would help develop the talent he has rather than just recruit and be CEO and let his coordinators do the rest. He still has plenty left to prove, but I am pretty sure Morris can develop talent not just recruit it.
cc10106
Coconut17 said:

FishingAggie said:

7aggiefan4life said:

Pretty sure Dabo Swinney and Brent Venables played a major part of building that Clemson team too. 7aggiefan4life is right, we need to let the season play out. If he wins 9+ games, I'll be convinced.

Every active head coach that has won a national championship (plus Les Miles and Stoops) won 9+ games within their first 3 seasons as head coach. Next season is Chad's third.
Agreed, but Morris was the guy that got Watson to leave his home state and come to Clemson.
cc10106
BTW, I hope Sumlin turns it around and decides he wants to be at TAMU. If not, then be ready if he decides to move on.
Lateralus Ag
AG
cc10106 said:

Lateralus Ag said:

How so? Morris is a legit offensive mind that would help develop the talent he has rather than just recruit and be CEO and let his coordinators do the rest. He still has plenty left to prove, but I am pretty sure Morris can develop talent not just recruit it.

I could be wrong, but I think the same things were said about Sumlin, regarding being an offensive guy, etc.

Maybe I am wrong, but he seems like a very similar coach.
Lateralus Ag
AG
cc10106 said:

BTW, I hope Sumlin turns it around and decides he wants to be at TAMU. If not, then be ready if he decides to move on.

Sure, we all hope we win lots of games. But Sumlin has every opportunity to succeed. Few coaches have more resources. It is completely in his court to put a great team on the field.

Here is to hoping.
Pylon Cam
AG
cc10106 said:

I hate this attitude. Let me guess - Sumlin is drunk and lazy as well. I'm sure that he is a hip-hop CEO who can't coach. Give me a f'ing break.
cc10106
HSFootballAg24 said:

cc10106 said:

I hate this attitude. Let me guess - Sumlin is drunk and lazy as well. I'm sure that he is a hip-hop CEO who can't coach. Give me a f'ing break.
Say what? I never said either of those. He already showed his cards that he wanted to go to the NFL, not that I can really blame him. Are you going to deny that now to fit your narrative?
Pylon Cam
AG
cc10106 said:

HSFootballAg24 said:

cc10106 said:

Say what? I never said either of those. He already showed his cards that he wanted to go to the NFL, not that I can really blame him. Are you going to deny that now to fit your narrative?
Nick Saban wants to go to the NFL (but his wife wouldn't let him). Every college coach dreams of coaching in the NFL. You act like he doesn't care about this program just because he wanted (and probably still wants) and NFL job. That reasoning has no basis in reality.
cevans_40
AG
Morris would be a Frantastic hire

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.