Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

*****FIRE SUMLIN Thread*****

61,942 Views | 484 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cdowl38
Agnzona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How's fantasyland?
hunterjr81
Coach gets too much credit when they win and too much blame when they loose. All of you wanting him fired are like today's I want it now generation and have to be consoled when their favorite game is sold out at the store. Grow up and be a man.
hunter2012
AG
hunterjr81 said:

Coach gets too much credit when they win and too much blame when they loose. All of you wanting him fired are like today's I want it now generation and have to be consoled when their favorite game is sold out at the store. Grow up and be a man.

Did you even watch us in November? LSU is just the latest symptom...

txagssweetie2014
hunterjr81 said:

I'm going to assume you're trolling and not this stupid.
Agnzona
You are okay with losing obviously. In college football it's 100% on the head coach.
HowdyTAMU
AG
hunterjr81 said:

Dear Mrs. Sumlin, please stop posting on TexAgs.
RoyVal
AG
replacement options:

Les Miles (yes seriously)
Petrino (hell I'll pitch in for the new motorcycle)
Dan Mullen (he's done so much more with less at Mississippi St.)
playeroftheyear69
AG
Not so fast, my friends. Let's see how Sumlin's group does against Kenny Trill in a bowl game. This is the measuring stick we have been waiting for.
playeroftheyear69
AG
r0v2967 said:

replacement options:

Les Miles (yes seriously)
Petrino (hell I'll pitch in for the new motorcycle)
Dan Mullen (he's done so much more with less at Mississippi St.)

In on Miles and Petrino. Out on Mullen.
hunter2012
AG
Pirate
Fleck
Petrino
Les Miles(sans Cam Cameron)
Morris

texasaggie84
SigAg6
BombayAg
I like Sumlin in general, but it is time to move in a different direction. We've had him for 5 years and I don't see any improvement. I am tired of 2nd half collapses and at this point, am open to trying out someone else.

lookatmyname
Kevin Sumlin is not a great coach, but he's good enough to win at A&M. "Doing more with less" guys like Mullen are fools' gold. Every now and then you'll get a guy who's great at the X's and O's and also happens to be able to handle a top program (e.g. Art Briles before all the other stuff). Coaching a non P5 to a P5 team is analogous to the differences between coaching in the NCAA and NFL. You have to be able to recruit at the top 1-2% level and manage prima donnas. There's a reason CEO-style head coaches exist.

That being said, this year was unfortunate for Sumlin. He's by no means a great schemer, but they really tried to cover up Trevor Knight's huge weaknesses. The guy's decently fast and has one or two decent throws (on the, and the screen pass/bullet isn't it. They wanted to give him short passes but gave him screen passes instead of bootlegs/roll outs (because we had to show everyone we had an OL). He can't run the read option to save his life. The last play of the UCLA game, the coaches literally had to tell him to keep it. Knight is actually coachable, but dealing with his passing inability with screens and utilizing his decent legs with read option plays were not the right fit. He was missing all the intangibles to run these offenses, namely decisiveness.

This game was unfortunate because we could have really made a great case for Stidham, Sheffield (with Merritt). Our transfer game has made our recruiting classes sleepers and we could have capitalized on the instability of coaching among ALL of our regional rivals. Instead, the universe has made us just as unattractive as everyone else. It's also unfortunate because there is absolutely no excuse for losing to LSU's second team with an interim coach and he deserves to be fired by all objective accounts. It will be worse for our program however, and we're already on the path to Michigan State-ing ourselves (without ever touching Mich St's peaks) as soon as our rivals upgrade their staffs.
maxnow21
Bump
John83
John83
AG
With Sumlin in charge, next year will b more of the same.
jml2621

bold prediction: Sumlin to Purdue

Sumlin knows he's on the hotlist. He may not be gone after this season, but next year looks bleak without a viable QB 10-11 starters move on. A thin lineup gets thinner without filling in the gams.

Alma mater would make a deal with an 8-4 coach without question.

I've never felt that Sumlin had much loyalty to A&M. He threatened to head to the NFL or USC every year to gain an extension and/or raise. I would not be surprised if Sumlin fires us.
Post removed:
by user
Agit8r
AG
Fire the team!!!
Oilfield Aggie12
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/College-football-coaching-search-Tom-Herman-is-the-great-white-w-49022658/Amp?client=safari

Is it possible that Texas A&M would fire Kevin Sumlin and hire Herman, in part to keep Texas from hiring him?

This seemed unthinkable when Sumlin and the Aggies were 7-1 and fourth in the initial College Football Playoff rankings. But they've lost to both Mississippi schools since then, and now, suddenly, everyone is scrambling to remember what Sumlin's buyout is. The answer is $15 million ($5 million for each season left on his contract), and it would be owed almost immediately.
That's a boatload of cash, but this is the same school that raised a quarter of the $450 million needed for its stadium renovation in one week. $15 million? That's chump change, comparatively.
Industry sources agreed that it's totally conceivable that A&M power brokers would try to head off Texas to hire Herman - because it fits with the wild, wooly history between the schools. Just imagine the glee if the Aggies then took off and the Longhorns remained mired in the struggle.
The outcome could also happen on a different timeline: Let's say, like last year, Texas keeps Strong and Herman decides he'll stay another season at Houston. In the interim, Sumlin leaves for another job, perhaps in the NFL. (After the 2016 season, Sumlin's contract says he would not be owed a dime if he were to take another job.) Suddenly, A&M would need a coach and Herman would still be available.
Could LSU or Oregon hire Herman or Fedora?
We've heard Herman and Fedora's names mentioned for both LSU and the possible opening at Oregon. Knowing their targets are being linked to other jobs could force Texas' hand, if it's on the fence about Strong.
We're told that Herman and Fedora would both covet the Texas job over any other option. Those close to Herman have said that for the better part of a year, since his rise in 2015 at UH. But if Texas dawdles, or it remains up in the air whether it'll keep Strong, odds are strong that Herman would listen more intently to overtures from places such as LSU and Oregon.
Ridge14
jml2621 said:

Sumlin knows he's on the hotlist. He may not be gone after this season, but next year looks bleak without a viable QB 10-11 starters move on. A thin lineup gets thinner without filling in the gams.

I've never felt that Sumlin had much loyalty to A&M. He threatened to head to the NFL or USC every year to gain an extension and/or raise. I would not be surprised if Sumlin fires us.
Why would Sumlin voluntarily leave for Purdue when he can just set everything on cruise control and keep bringing in the big bucks?

I wouldn't believe a pride argument, look how he has had his team lay down near the end of the season without blinking or even chewing his gum a little bit harder.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Ridge14 said:

jml2621 said:

Why would Sumlin voluntarily leave for Purdue when he can just set everything on cruise control and keep bringing in the big bucks?

I wouldn't believe a pride argument, look how he has had his team lay down near the end of the season without blinking or even chewing his gum a little bit harder.
He knows he can't recruit at Purdue. That would be a total disaster for him.
dah4439
AG
Not ready to fire because of the recruiting class coming in, but can't defend him anymore after that abortion yesterday.
Agsncws
AG
Last night was the turning point for me.
fightinag
No Spin Ag said:

Have nothing left to hold out hope for.

Fire
but......
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
aggiebq03+
You know things are bad with the football program when this thread is allowed to stay on page 1 of the zoo.
fightinag
Ridge14
dah4439 said:

Not ready to fire because of the recruiting class coming in, but can't defend him anymore after that abortion yesterday.
How have previous highly rated recruiting classes helped us get over the hump to this point?

2013: 9th
2014: 5th
2015: 11th
2016: 18th
2017 (current): 9th

Not sure why this class in particular will change anything.
suburban cowboy
AG
Who are the 13 buttholes that want to keep Sumlin
Ridge14
IceCream14 said:

Who are the 13 buttholes that want to keep Sumlin
Sumlin + Coaching Staff
fightinag
FIRE SUMLIN TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Royal27
AG
Fire

No improvement over last four years. Time for a change.
TMK
Fire
hunter2012
AG
Any minds change? Another predictable result with a sloppy weak effort.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.