Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Found a treasure chest of Aggie lore today

266,909 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bbag02
AG
Wow, a true treasure. Good bull indeed
AggiePride07
AG
So awesome!
ProphAC
war hymn aggie
AG
a few more pics:
*Aggie War Hymn sheet music from over the years.

* the one on the left is dated 1920. I took a pic to show that only 1 verse was written at the time. Aggie Yell Leaders persuaded Pinky to write a 2nd verse a few years later. Pinky knew Aggies and told them that it would not go over very well, but he obliged and wrote a 2nd verse. Yell Leaders presented it to the student body several times over the years, but it was never received very well, so both verses are generally not sung together.

* my grandfather's dog tags a some of his brass & medals from his A&M & WW1 days:

* a small collection of vintage A&M pennants:

* a LARGE framed photo of my grandfather standing guard during WW1. The original photo is sitting next to it (bottom right):

DCC99
AG
quote:
the one on the left is dated 1920. I took a pic to show that only 1 verse was written at the time. Aggie Yell Leaders persuaded Pinky to write a 2nd verse a few years later.

This pretty much settles any debate about singing the other verse.

Cool stuff.
texag_89
Page 6!!

(For this thread, 6 is as good as 1)

Wow.... I just said it aloud to myself:

"My grandfather wrote the Aggie War Hymn"

That is like:

- "My Grandfather wrote the Magna Carta"
- "My Uncle wrote the Book of Revelations"
- "My grandmother sewed on a certain flag once"
- "My great uncle wrote Imitation of Christ"
- "My Father wrote War and peace"
- et all.

Let that soak in..... What a Legacy!!

Just mind-blowing!!!!!!!!

_89
fightntexag15
AG
This is so awesome! I feel like its a time capsule of Aggie lore. what an amazing find!
KVB07
AG
This is awesome.
agnerd
AG
I never knew that in 1921 the War Hymn into was "Assembly" instead of the current intro:

Now humming it back to myself, the current intro has most of the same notes with a different rhythym. Anyone know when the intro was changed?
CCSkinner01
AG
Absolutely epic find. Congratulations. By the way, does anyone know what "Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck" means? I get this question alot, and I assumed it was the sound of artillery firing and then being reloaded. So Hullabaloo being the firing, Caneck being the chamber opening and Caneck being it closing, etc. I am not sure where I heard that or whether I made it up.
war hymn aggie
AG
Skinner,

You are correct....at least from what I've been told.
agnerd
AG
quote:
does anyone know what "Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck" means?

It's the sound of the train from inside the train. More specifically, the sound of the wheels in the car you're riding in as they cross the joints in the rails.

Edit to add:
I was always told that Hullabaloo was the sound of the steam engine and coal tender (Remember we're in the 1910s) running over the joints in the rails with so many closely spaced wheels, and Canek, canek being the front and back pair of wheels running over the rail joint. I was also told that the War hymn was written from the perspective of someone on a train leaving Austin. Does War Hymn Ag want to weigh in on what he was told?

[This message has been edited by agnerd (edited 5/7/2013 2:32p).]
Tabasco
AG

ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
the current intro has most of the same notes with a different rhythm

RECALL, Step off, on Hullabaloo..

Bob Loblaws Law Blog
javajaws
AG
Way cool.
agnerd
AG
quote:
RECALL, Step off, on Hullabaloo..

You're right! So does anyone know when the intro was changed from Assembly to Recall? I guess we have it narrowed down to sometime between 1921 and 1986?
AAM02
AG
#winning
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
First, my deepest condolences on the loss of your father.

Second, what a fantastic find. Thanks for sharing.

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
ctag94
Wow!
BCO07
AG
quote:
So does anyone know when the intro was changed from Assembly to Recall? I guess we have it narrowed down to sometime between 1921 and 1986?

i would think it was closer to 86 than 21 considering it isnt uncommon to hear a recording that begins with assembly

ABATTBQ87
AG
quote:
I guess we have it narrowed down to sometime between 1921 and 1950

FIFY
OKG2000
AG
Sorry for the loss of your father - and what an amazing gift he has left you...nice find and thank you for sharing!
Tweet_damnit_tweet
To paraphrase Indiana Jones...That is a priceless artifact. It belongs in a museum! But seriously, the O.R.Simpson Corps Center would probably be ecstatic to both preserve and display it for all Ags to see. I remember memorizing the campusology about J.V. "Pinky" Wilson and thinking... "How many schools are badass enough to have their school "fight song" be actually written by a soldier in combat?" Totally helped me cope with the hell that is the fish year.
Great find!!
randy828
Tweet_damnit_tweet
Also found this small article on JV Wilson with some good historical info:

http://www.austinsteamtrain.org/pdfs/Call%20Board/winter12cb.pdf
dw72008
AG
Sorry for your loss, but this is awesome
Swede
AG
You win at life at TexAgs!

So glad to see things like this make it through the years and end up in the hands of someone who will continue to preserve it. Hope to see it in Sanders, even if it's only for a short time.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
By the way, does anyone know what "Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck" means?

According to the article linked above, it means the following (as per Mr. Pinky Wilson himself, so I'd wager that it is pretty difinitive):

Hullabaloo - "hell of a fix" that the Marines found themselves in on the Argonne battlefield

Caneck, Caneck - sound mimicking the German artillery pieces being reloaded across the lines

I had always heard it was related to artillery, but did not know it was derived from this. Pretty interesting fact to learn.
dgmarshall17
AG
This is by far one of the best things I've heard in my lifetime. Finding a gold mine like this on its own is amazing...but to have all that tradition derive from your family is truly remarkable!
GuatemalanAg
AG
What a treasure! This is an amazing find!
Aggies
'Grandpa wrote the Aggie War Hymn while standing guard on the Rhine during WW1."

Absolutely Awesome !!!
bjraggie10
AG
Excellent thread, thanks for sharing!
redassag12

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.