Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Found a treasure chest of Aggie lore today

266,901 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
Bajan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome man, just completely awesome. There needs to be a documentary. If not texags, then some film studies class, or the university itself.
busmasterjones91
maca1028
Just because I didn't like seeing 666 replies
andrewch783
C XX I
holy wow.
atxAGGIE95
AG
War Hymn - they are flying t.u. flags at the gate of Pinky Wilson's old place in Joppa,TX. This is blasphemy! How can you allow this??
RAMF 95
AG

45-70Ag
AG
ABATTBQ87
AG
From page 19 Journal Memo:

Roswell G. Higginbotham, known as “Little Hig,” first gained prominence as an outstanding backfield football player at Sherman High School, Texas, and went on to become a renowned football and baseball player at Texas A&M from 1917 to 1920. In his junior year, he pitched a no-hitter against the University of Texas, and was a football All-Southwest Conference back in 1919 and 1920.

http://www.baseballsgreatestsacrifice.com/biographies/higginbotham_roswell.html

PS: Ben Dyer was the editor of the tu exes newsletter, so it seems he selected and all state football team.

[This message has been edited by ABATTBQ87 (edited 7/24/2013 7:24a).]
ABATTBQ87
AG
From page 19 Journal Memo:

Fullback - Mahan - A&M

He was the first Aggie to ever compete in the Olympics (1920)and he was in the Men's Javelin Throw, finishing 12th.

Elected to the Aggie Hall-of-Fame in 1965. Jack Mahan was captain of A&M football team in 1919 and 1920. Under him the Aggies were unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon until the last game. They score a total of 329 points and the opposing teams scored a total of 7.
sleepybeagle
AG
Amazing find!
WolfPack14
AG
Great stuff!
bkag9824
AG

Marketing department needs to revive this sweater...

Amazing finds WHA, thanks for sharing.
AgeofEase08
AG
BEVOS freaking HORN!

You have GOT to be kidding me

Seriously..goosebumps all over right now. Amazing.
war hymn aggie
AG

atx,
I know about that Longhorn flag at my grandparents old ranch. Passed by it awhile back and thought about going in and saying howdy to the owners. They used to have Longhorns on the property too. Not sure if they still do. How do you know where my grandparents lived?

Irish Man- thanks for posting. None of those men were my grandfather, but he may have been the one taking the pic if he was actually involved.
----------------------------------------------
I can tell you that I have spoken to a respected author that wants to write a book about the Aggie War Hymn and he wants to get it published in time to coincide with the 100 year Anniversary of the beginning of WW1.
JoLoTheTongue
AG
This thread is amazing. I feel honored just to be able to see this unfold.
OlAg2001
Amazing!
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Very cool
duffelpud
AG
AWH, my great uncle was in school around the same time as your grandfather. His name was John Wesley "Dough" Rollins and I think was captain on the '13-0' team and played from around 1914 to 1917 or so. I'm curious if you might have any references to him in your trunk of stuff?

Dough went on to coach for A&M and was, I believe, a backs coach on the '39 NC team. He also served briefly in '47 as AD, I suppose filling in until a new one could be found. He went on to be HC for what is now Texas A&M - Commerce.
Independent George
AG
Amazing!
war hymn aggie
AG
duffelpud,

I have heard of great-uncle Dough but have not seen any references of him in my grandfathers stuff. I'll keep an eye out for him and let you know if I run across anything about him.
SkillerWiller
AG
wowserz
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
So damn cool.
ThrillaAg2010
AG
This thread is amazing! Keep the pics coming!
duffelpud
AG
Gr. Uncle Dough had twelve brothers and sisters that you might also come across since several of them also graduated from A&M. They were:

Gr. Uncle CHARLES WORD ROLLINS, chief engineer of the Lower Neches Valley Authority, born May 30, 1872, graduated from TEXAS A & M in 1893.

Gr. Aunt Alfred F. Parks, teacher, housewife and mother, was born Dec. 9, 1873, graduated from North Texas Female College in 1903.

Gr. Uncle HENRY MARTIN ROLLINS, president of the Gulf Creosoting Co., born Jan. 10,1876, graduated from Texas A & M. in 1897.

Gr. Uncle ALBERT SIDNEY ROLLINS, a member of the law firm of Worsham, ROLLINS, Burford & Ryburn born Dec. 12, 1877, graduated from the University of Texas in 1899.

Gr. Aunt H. H. Gilham, housewife and mother, born Nov. 25,1881, graduated from Henry College in Hunt Co., in 1900.

ANDREW PEACHY ROLLINS, gen.mgr. of the North Texas Municipal Water District, born March 31,1884, graduated from Texas A & M in 1906.

Mrs. Jackson Massey, teacher and housewife, born June 1,1886, graduated from East Texas State Teachers College in 1924.

Gr. Aunt D.T. Smith, who retired as State Supervisor of Home Management, Farmer's Home Administration, born Oct. 7,1888, graduated from the College of Industrial Arts in 1906, and from East Texas State Teachers College in 1932.

Gr. Uncle MILLARD EDMUND ROLLINS, Resident Engineer, Shea Chemical Company, born Apr.30, 1891, graduated from Texas A&M in 1914.

Gr. Uncle JOSEPH GUY ROLLINS, Consulting Engineer, born March 26, 1893, and graduated from Texas A&M in 1913.

Gr. Uncle JOHN WESLEY "Dough" ROLLINS, Dean of East Texas State Teachers College, born Sept.18,1895, graduated from Texas A&M in 1917.

The youngest, Gr. Uncle JESSE THOMAS ROLLINS, Vocational Agriculture Teacher at McKinney, was born March 16, 1898, graduated from Texas A&M in 1921. He died April 25, 1957.

Here's a photo of the 1915 team with Gr. Uncle Dough sitting on the front row:

1915 Texas A&M Aggies Football Team - Lettermen included First Row: W.E. Rylander, Dough Rollins, M. Mitchell, J.M. Kendrick - Second Row: Nick Braumiller, D.B. Burns, Captain Johnny Garrity, M.D. Gilfillan, A.C. Eschenburg - Third Row: A.C. Bull (manager), M.E. Settegast, J.C. Rogers, F.A. Crow, and William Collins

Here's he is in 1940. Check out those shirts!

[This message has been edited by duffelpud (edited 7/24/2013 10:59a).]
Teddy Perkins
AG
Definitely want to see a documentary come of this.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Amazing stuff. Thanks again for sharing all of this.
atxAGGIE95
AG
War Hymn - I'm good friends with the family that owns the property across the road from your grandparents place in Joppa. They are not Aggies because of any direct affiliation with the University, but because they all have very fond memories of your grandfather. Because of him, they are huge Aggies fans. They talk about him all the time.
sharkenleo
Somehow I missed this thread until now. Just read every page of it.

Good damn bull all around.
war hymn aggie
AG
atx,

That's awesome!
Grandparents on my mother's side were born & raised in the Joppa Community as well and also owned a ranch near my Wilson Grandparents.
Next time you see your friends, ask them if they know of Weldon & Iris Price.
JB!98
AG
War Hymn this may sound like a weird request, but I think you would be a hell of a Muster speaker. I am Muster chair of the Atascosa County A&M club and would love to have you down to speak about your A&M legacy at Muster. Is traveling to Atascosa county something you would consider?

Thanks
atxAGGIE95
AG
Will do...playing golf with one of them this evening!
JB!98
AG
War Hymn if interested you can contact me at my e-mail below. We would be more than happy to cover your travel expenses.

jtbarrow@cpsenergy dot com

Thanks
iamtheglove
War hymn, regarding the branding party photos, I believe I have a photo of the purported group and maybe some written documentation. Also, just acquired a portion of the Sam Houston Sanders estate that includes many photos and newspapers from 1917 through 1921. I will give a look and see what I can find
ATX__Aggie
http://img.pandawhale.com/post-23672-that-belongs-in-a-museum-gif-I-rN5M.gif

[This message has been edited by ATX__Aggie (edited 7/24/2013 11:12p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.