Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Found a treasure chest of Aggie lore today

267,207 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
tamc12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Someone posted a request for you to take your grandfathers trunk and get it restored.
Please, please do NOT do that. It would ruin the character of the piece and actually devalue it as well. It would be a shame to let anyone do anything to change it.
Ags2Ags
Bump!
Bowlinag
AG
Still Awesome!!
Dillotat
AG
WOW! What a beautiful legacy. Please continue to share.
AnyOtherName
AG
Holy sshnikes!
Brewmaster
AG
Is that the Century Tree in the bottom left?
this is 1915 according to OP - pure greatness

eAGer
AG
That "T" pic on Page 14

quote:
It's half white, half maroon... all the cadets are holding something up; but the maroon doesn't come through on the left side of the T.

Or are they all cashing out?

This is amazing stuff. Don't know how/why it took me so long to click this thread!
jteagle
AG
Wow! I had taken some time off from Texags and had never seen this until tonight. I'm glad it was bumped because I have read the entire thread and learned so much that I am ashamed I didn't know already. There are some times that it is just awesome to be an Aggie!
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Probably maroon. We used Maroon kerchefs in the 40s . Inside campaign hats. Held hats upside down to show the maroon.

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 10/18/2013 9:36a).]

[This message has been edited by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas (edited 10/18/2013 10:16a).]
Ags2Ags
bump
PA24
Dugie
AG
WOW...just wow
Ags2Ags
Any new items?
GoodLuckAgs
AG
What a legacy - thanks for sharing!

"Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies"
Proud Aggie, Aggie Wife & Aggie Mom
Old Sarge
AG
dufflepud,

We need to get in contact with each other. We are most likely related if you are connected to the Rollins family references you posted.

My father, who unfortunately is probably no longer in a condition to remember, told me his grandmother pleaded with him to go to Texas A&M when offered a scholly in football back in the 50's. She told him something along the lines of many Rollins family members that had attended TAMC and played football and or graduated from there. Supposedly at one point had graduated more Rollins that were related than any other family at that time. Not sure though as I heard this story back in the 80's. Dad ended up going to TCU and played football there.

However, we need to get in contact if you are in that family line. We may be related.

Post here and we'll try and get connected and figure it out.

Edit: Also, the stories were passed on to me word of mouth also included Doe/Dough Rollins (which you showed) but a Mo/Moe if I remember correctly. Something like big Dough and Little Moe?

My mother is big on ancestry, and I may need to see if she can dig into this. It's just that Dad's condition is not good, and he will probably be of little help.

[This message has been edited by Old Sarge (edited 10/24/2013 10:04p).]

[This message has been edited by Old Sarge (edited 10/24/2013 10:07p).]
devastor
ColoradoMooseHerd
Page 22
tuta
wrightb
AG
Wow.....too cool!!!
war hymn aggie
AG
@ Ags2Ags,
MarsingIdaho55
AG
That is wonderful that memorabilia was saved.
I didn't know Pinky Wilson, but I admired Pinky Downs and always thought I would like to take his place when I retired. He was Mr. Howdy around the campus in the early 50's and would really get us fired up at Yell Practice at the Grove.
Gig 'em!!!
CapCityAg09
FatZilla
AG
This really needs a perm sticky at the top of this forum. Staff make it happen!!

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
war hymn aggie
AG

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 10/29/2013 10:31p).]
war hymn aggie
AG
Pinky's War Insurance papers:

Letter from Assoc of Former Students from 1923. Thought it was interesting because there was no Aggie Muster yet on this date. Also interesting because the War Hymn was also called "Good Bye to Texas University" by many.

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 10/30/2013 10:24a).]
Lionstein
Very awesome!
AggieLady79
WHA, condolences on your loss. Thank you for sharing your heritage with us.

It's been years since I have been on TexAgs. I got a link that directed me to this thread yesterday, and just shivered with Aggie Spirit as I read it!

Food for thought: I just read through the whole thread again, so I hope I'm not repeating someone else, but I noticed the old yell that had "Raw! Chaw! Jay Haw! A.M.C." (page 10) repeated twice slow and twice fast. Is this not the origin of "Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah, T. A. M. C?"

--"We've got to fight for Maroon and White."--
jaggie05vet16
AG
This is, without a doubt, the most awesome thread on TexAgs. A thread that I somehow missed every time I perused the site all summer and just read- in its entirety- last night.

WHA, I hope to be able to view some of these items one day if you do indeed work something out with Cushing or the Corps Center, etc. These are absolutely incredible. What a fantastic family history to have and to pass on to future generations.... I'm incredibly jealous
Yell Practice
Super Find !!!
norton99
AG
Why wouldn't this all work its way into the new West Side of Kyle Field... isn't it supposed to be like a museum?

This is great stuff!
rocky the dog
AG
Wow! How did I miss this awesome thread?
aggyof77
Well Ags...I've spent about 4 hours going through this thread and have the 1928 War Hymn version playing on my laptop right now. Thanks to AWH for making this happen and sharing his family's legacy with us. How very cool...shivers and goosebumps still.

btclasso77houttatu
Frag
tam2002
war hymn aggie
AG
My grandfather standing. Germany 1919 after Armistice.

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 10/31/2013 1:53p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.