Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Found a treasure chest of Aggie lore today

267,105 Views | 859 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
Look Out Below
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's a huge WWI exhibit up in Cushing right now. They'd probably let you display them publicly if you wished.
RhodeIslandRed
I read the story years ago about how and where the Aggie War Hymn was composed. I cannot begin to explain how cool I think it is that your grandfather was the man who did it. That piece should be on loan to an Aggie museum. I'm sure you guys have one.
valvemonkey91
AG
Just read this thread again. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. Gig Em!
northsidegreek06
AG
This is amazing. I would definitely visit an exhibit ... Awesome.
war hymn aggie
AG
a few more photos:

1st known pic of my grandfather, circa 1897-98:

some A&M pics:
Train entering CS 1915:

Cadet being silly:

Cadets drinking?! Before prohibition was instituted.

Getting licks on top of Mitchell Hall-1915

Cadets facing off on top of Mitchell Hall-1915

Texas A&M Glee Club photo in Houston Post-1917

Pinky after returning from war-1920

[This message has been edited by war hymn aggie (edited 2/17/2014 10:17p).]
suburban cowboy
AG
Awesome ^
ABATTBQ11
AG
Love this thread
gomerschlep
AG
Never gets old.
VikingNik
AG
If that High Speed Rail plan between Dallas and Houston ever happens we have got to make sure it stops in College Station.

quote:
Train entering CS 1915:

[This message has been edited by vikingnik (edited 2/18/2014 9:39a).]
abat51
AG
Goosebumps and shivers...

Gig'em...
abat51...
hurleyag
AG
quote:
Also, I met with an A&M author & historian today. He was blown away by the amount of stuff that I have & also by the originality & by how well everything had been preserved & documented. Make no doubt....once the dust settles, these mementos are going to be written about & exhibited for all you Aggies to see for years to come....

Any chance this was John Adams you met with?
war hymn aggie
AG
you are correct, Hurley.
JB!98
AG
I want to thank War Hymn for agreeing to come to our Muster and show some of this stuff off. We are so excited to see a piece of TAMU history. If anyone wants to come down to Atascosa county for Muster let me know. We would be happy to have you. Thanks again War Hymn.
Bajan
AG
quote:
If that High Speed Rail plan between Dallas and Houston ever happens we have got to make sure it stops in College Station.

quote:
Train entering CS 1915:

[This message has been edited by vikingnik (edited 2/18/2014 9:39a).]

I actually met with the Judge yesterday about this, they want to run hsr from dallas to houston and then run a spur to college station.

Me? Id love to build it.

[This message has been edited by Bajan (edited 2/18/2014 6:18p).]
VikingNik
AG
A spur is stupid unless it is part of a future leg to Austin.
Winchestermodel77
Spider Monkey
AG
Just read this entire thread. Currently drooling over all of the fascinating memorabilia. Thanks for sharing, War Hymn Aggie.
clintalmighty
AG
quote:
Just read this entire thread.

and how long did that take you?
gigemJTH12
AG
is there a picture of the note he wrote inventing the War Hymn?
GarryowenAg
AG
AWH, any updates on what you're going to do with your memorabilia?
tamc12
AG
Amazing how these old pictures have remained so visible. I often wonder how long our color 35mm pictures will hold up over time.
tamc12
AG
Amazing how these old pictures have remained so visible. I often wonder how long our color 35mm pictures will hold up over time.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TTT
duffelpud
AG
WHA, Thanks for finding those photos of Gr. Uncle Dough. I hadn't seen those particular ones.

Old Sarge, drop me a line at duffe1pud at verizon.net and we can swap genealogical information.
bigdm
AG
Pinky was a living legend on campus in the early 50's. Heard him speak many times. He defined a real Aggie.
bigdm
AG
Pinky was a living legend on campus in the early 50's. Heard him speak many times. He defined a real Aggie.
ShotOver
AG
Love it...
dragonslayer
Engine10
AG
This thread. Goosebumps every time. Amazing stuff!
67walkon
To tie a little modern history to the past..If you look on page 14 there is a picture of the corps formed on Kyle in the Block T. Half are holding up maroon handkerchiefs the others white. Makes it looked beveled. In the early 80's Jackie Sherrill was looking to find something like the Steeler's terrible towels for fans to wave. Our assistant sports information director Jerry ??? (Sorry, I can't remember his last name. He died in car crash on welborn road)found this photo in the archives and was developing the idea for what is now the 12th Man towel. Jerry was having M&W handkerchiefs made he was going to call the Ag Flag. After his death is evolved into 12th Man Towels.
69BQ
When George Fairleigh arranged the War Hymn, he used Assembly to start the War Hymn. The arrangement that the Aggie Band uses is by Colonel Richard Dunn and he used Recall to begin the War Hymn. When? About 1929. He also wrote the arrangement for Silver Taps and wrote the musical score for the Spirit of Aggieland based on lyrics from Marvin Mimms. He actually wrote it thrice, in 1925, 1945, and 1953. There was a squabble over royalties at the time. Anyway, the 1953 version is the official version today,

Mike Sheets '69
FTAB
DayAg!
S
Ah, just a reminder of a different time in history and a forgone way of life that will never be repeated. One that was without the cares we have today. And one I wish we could return to at least in spirit.

Thanks for sharing such a rich piece of history, with so many that cherish and understand it. What a beautiful legacy indeed.
3Gen80Ag
AG
Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pieces of Aggie history and tradition. Being a third generation Ag myself (with my daughter presently attending A&M) I love how the Aggie spirit binds all of our generations together with an unbreakable bond. Very cool stuff of Aggie lore that you found! Really appreciate you sharing it with all of us!
Reginald Cousins
S
First page.
war hymn aggie
AG
saw that this thread was back to the 1st page.

Not too much to tell ya'll regarding updates.

However, I can say that I have met with the owner of the Museum of the American GI & he expressed considerable interest in having some of my grandfather's WW1 items displayed in his museum as the 100 yr Anniversary in American involvement gets closer.....

I also found a photo of my Grandpa from the on-line Aggie yearbook site. It shows the Cast-Iron Quartet, the group that originally sang the Aggie War Hymn at the theater that the yell leaders were attending. The yell leaders asked the group (which included the starting QB Higginbotham & lineman Wilson (not related)) to perform at yell practice before the '19 t.u. game & it was supposedly an instant hit.

My grandfather is 3rd from the right.

Below is the pic:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.