Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

128,962 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
CLTtexAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Ringy approves I approve.
no money left
I WANT A RINGY PIT DAMMIT!
brehm14
Add 50,000 more seats, light the letters, make for better sound retention.
rather be fishing
AG
We need a Reveille habitat, dammit!
TripleTAggie08
AG
Great job!
12th Non-Reg
Better work than any I've seen posted. I hope your work gets brought to the attention of people in a position to make decisions.
Hamburger Dan
Am I the only one that likes the bats?
Wizard of Ahhhhs
AG
Love it.

Just need to add hedges and we are rocking an SEC crib.
fireinthehole
Don't like tron one end only.

How are we going to do rennovate/expand Kyle without losing a season?

How much work can get done in 8 months between seasons? Can we phase it to be done in 2 such 8 month periods?
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
I've heard Benjamin Knox is leading the design team. Can anyone post his renderings?

[This message has been edited by One-Eyed Fat Man (edited 10/11/2011 12:41p).]
85AustinAg
AG
Looks like a Bose Wave Radio on roids... I'd rather see us tear down and start over.
AG
I really like it.

Here is what I would change though. Field level suites in the south end zone are dumb to me. Who wants to spend a boatload of money to sit where you can't even see the game. The connections between the zone and the east and west sides are really not useful, why would you want to go between the third decks? And lastly, the exterior facade looks great, but I really dont see them changing the zone that much.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Due to my 5 post limit, I will address questions and concerns in long posts but i'll try to make it manageable.

Trying to avoid "didn't read lol!"s. At least scan it Ags.

Capacity

There have been a few posts asking what the capacity is. It's on the original post (107,221 est.).

There are a couple of posts that dispute the validity of that number.

Posted by Buck Turgidson:

quote:
The large number of new luxury boxes will cut into our total seating capacity. Not sure how we could ever expand past about 95k with that design.

I'll tell you how. The existing East and West stands' structure is 20 feet shorter than the Zone. By augmenting the East and West stands' profile geometry by lifting the third deck and pitching inward, the seating capacity remains undetered by additional suites without breaking sight lines for the nose bleed. In addition, this enhances the uniformity of the stadium and allows the existing zone to appear as though it belongs there.

Posted by aggieband 83:

quote:
South end zone needs as many seats as North endzone. Capacity is 100,000+ that way.

True. But that is not exclusively true. As long as the added seating area is enough hold more than 14K, Kyle Field goes six figures.

Let me break it down:

This design expands the East and West upper-decks and angles them in at the extremes.

The shortest side (front of 2nd deck) is 421ft. long as compared to the existing structure (383ft.), giving it a 38ft. boost.

The longest side (back of 3rd deck) is 518ft. which puts it 135ft. longer than the existing deck.

The total area of the existing upper two decks is a mean 61,280 sq. ft. per side. When compared to the mean 78,301 sq. ft. of my design, that translates to 17,021 sq. ft. of additional seating space on each side.

The existing configuration of Kyle Field accounts ever so slightly under three sq. ft. per person. This number includes the aisle space, walkways, and access tunnels distributed per capita in addition to the "wood" and "off the wood" space. So, 17,021 sq. ft of added seating area yields 5,674 extra Aggies on each side, and therefore boosting capacity by 11K+ just on the East and West grandstand expansion alone (not including the added suites).

Throw in the south endzone, more suites, south field level club, you get the friggin idea...

Kyle Field is one of the largest football stadium structures out there. It doesn't have the highest capacity, but if we were to close in all gaps up to the pressbox level it could hold around 140K+. Practical? Me thinks not right now.

Plus I like the tackle box. Looks viscous to me.
BoozerRed78
AG
Make it a domed stadium, so those 11 am kickoffs in September are a bit more bearable....
aaronag02
move the gravesite back. we have
been cursed since they moved.
bobhoops
AG
I'm sorry, I hate to be a dick/spelling nazi but you make that brilliant design and give us all the facts to back it up... then say this:

quote:
Looks viscous to me.

Must be an engineer.

[This message has been edited by bobhoops4 (edited 10/11/2011 4:04p).]
mts6175
AG
DisTex - should have been clearer in my post. The renderings I have seen show it cut off in all 4 corners like the HKS ones on the link I posted.
wee_ag
AG
I see no pics...

Photobucket bandwidth exceeded. I can host those pics if you want to email them to me: username @ frontiernet dot net
prtfly4awhguy2
The pics are on the original post if you want to host. I also approve, send those to the AD!
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Acoustics

A lot of posters have addressed the desire to close in the gaps on the northeast and northwest corners to "prevent sound from escaping".

This subject is something I feel extremely qualified to discuss. Acoustics is one of my specialties. For the sake of simplicity lets consider two types of sonic reflections.

Direct - Bouncing off a surface at incident (like the game Pong or air hockey). An efficient reflection but mainly in one direction.

Diffused - Bouncing off a irregular surface in all directions. An inefficient reflection that goes everwhere.

Okay enough class time. The corner gaps represent less than 10% of the vertical structure as apparent from within the stadium. Yes, sound does escape but how much? If you were to measure 120dB SPL outside one gap, does that mean that we are preventing and extra 120dB from
being present on the field? Hell no! Direct reflections off of would-be sections would be around 60dB prior to propagating if the seats were empty and probably absorbed if occupied. Diffused totals would probably be below 12dB.

The more significant sonic improvment will be having more mouths yelling from those sections toward the center of the venue (ala mile high). Increasing the capacity and attendance will help greatly and the angled geometry of the East and West stands will allow greater crowd noise efficiency as there will be less shoulders to
yell over, and a sonic mirror aimed toward the action on field provided by the seats behind each Aggie. Besides don't forget the gaping hole above Kyle Field.

Filling in the gaps will not keep the sound in, it will keep the wind out. As some have said, Kyle Field needs ventilation. While TV screens are doable, closing sections might mean more heat strokes. I would much rather it be compared to a tackle box than a cauldron.

I am currently working on a canopy design to help provide shade in the upper decks. This should also allow for a more sophisticated lighting array, audio system, and add to the apparent size of the venue and the intimidation
factor. Furthermore the underside of the canopy can be treated with a curved rigid surface to act as a wave guide for amplifying crowd noise from the upper decks. These canopies can be seen at some of the most revered stadium atmospheres across the globe, though I know of none that attempt to make the most of the underside geometry.

South end zone first deck

There are also mixed feelings concerning the South end zone lower deck elevation.

The only reason for the pitch change is to accommodate the field level club. I thought this was an awesome idea so we can keep the dramatic team entrances with fans surrounding and pumping the players up as they march in.

The seating has to be pitched at a higher angle to keep the sight lines intact from the back of the section to the rear pylons without taking out 5 rows of seats which would place the first row of seats 25 ft. further away from the action. Without the field level club, the seating would be continuous but the stance of the south structure would be significantly lower. If you guys prefere that, I can try it out.

But I like the way it looks personally. I have seen to it that no seat has obstructed views, even along those walls.

I am however redoing the south endzone to be more detailed and tie in better. Bare in mind that this effort is only a week old and I am working alone. My intentions for posting this is to hone the design on what the fans want to
call home. I have heard from others that I should present this to the powers and am convinced to do so when I feel it's ready.

Thanks for your support, suggestions, and detailed flaming. It all contributes.

BTW yes, you guys may host the images but I will be making updates sometime in the near future.
BrightAg13
AG
Thanks for the update, you make $bill proud with all the suites.
Amarillo Slim
AG
I can not view the pics. Can someone else grab them and post them?
brewsky2002
Oneeyed,

Knox is not leading the design team. Group out of Dallas.
brewsky2002
Kceo,

Please send me an email.

Kaleb.brewer@gmail.com
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Brewsky
It was a joke.
brewsky2002
Kceo,

Please check your email....
fireinthehole
No useful information.
brewsky2002
Fire,

Construction that is planned will take 20 consecutive months.
greenman99
AG
Love the design. I don’t think that everyone understood that the existing decks were being extended and angled toward the field.

If you leave the south zone elevated but not have the field level suites leaving the suite space open you can move the entire structure closer to the field. The first row of the lower deck could be three feet from the back of the end zone. Players could go under the stands when running out the back of the end zone. I know that you would lose seats that currently extend beyond the end zone but those are the worse seats in Kyle. You could make up the difference with a couple of extra rows at the back of the first deck.
mts6175
AG
I love the concept, but field level suites are stupid.
smithag11
Boise.RLM
Bandwidth exceeded?

[This message has been edited by Boise.RLM (edited 10/11/2011 9:05p).]
MikeAg2010
Anyone else think the HKS design looks like crap... Hell they can design the cowboys stadium but then make kyle field look like a little boy designed it.
e=mc2
AG
Can't see it anymore
Kceovaisnt-
AG
New image links on a new host. Help a rook please.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6091/93114290.png

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1381/57887924.png

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8567/60282905.png

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/7120/24005290.png

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/4642/82428253.png

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6425/92762196.png

I hope these last longer than a day.

Fire away.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.