Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kyle Field Renovation Ideas

129,174 Views | 434 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by bigangrytexan
texpdx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You need a jumbotron for the people sitting in the south endzone to look at. Maybe you put one between the zone and the student side and one betwen the zone and the former student side.
kinto
You've done a great job.

1. What will it look like on the ground level walkways near the concession stands and simply walking around the stadium. That walk-up view has a big impact on people's perceptions and the design has a big impact on the crowd flow, amenities and enjoyment of the game day.

2. The southern most seats on the first level of the east and west sides seem like they'd be miserable if they're up against the wall of the south stands. If that's an aisle, then no big deal.

3. How feasible is it (other than cost) to include high capacity elevators?

BQ89AG
AG
Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

I wonder if any of this will ever get approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. They held up our basketball arena for 10 years, and would have not approved the Zone if they had known we were going to shorten seats to make Kyle's capacity exceed t.u.'s at the time....
Copp
85AustinAg, you are on of the few that does not like this. He also said he is going to put a lot more work into the outside design. Also, how on earth can you tell from looking at that rendering that we did not tear down the decks and start over? Also, how can you tell the concourses are not top notch? Sounds like a lot of complaining without any real knowledge of what all has been done to accomplish that rendering.

It does not make any sense to build the south end zone so that there can be a deck put on top if needed. The capacity of that rendering is already 107k without the upper deck on the south end zone. 107k far exceeds what we need, and IMO our decision makers will not look at this seriously because it is already too big. They want sub 100k for sure. Probably around 95kish
fireinthehole
Gonna be more not fewer former students down the road. Look at our enrollment now. Think long term and make the outside seating about 105K.
VikingNik
AG
quote:
And add a Texag/Twitter board to the rendering. Somewhere where we can vent live and see our posts telling Sherman what to do before the 3rd quarter starts

Indeed genius.
85AustinAg
AG
I've got an undergrad in Construction Science and a Masters in Construction Management from Texas A&M. I've worked in Real Estate Development for 25+ years.

If we start over with a stadium design, why in the world would it look so much like the existing one? It's not like the existing stadium is cutting edge design, or efficient, or maximizes views for the fans, etc.

A freshman engineering or architecture student could do as well or better than this and it's comical that you guys think its so awesome looking. None of what you see in the rendering is the part that matters anyway.

The rendering looks eerily similar to http://209.189.226.235/aandmnews/091804kyle.php as well.
Biz Ag
AG
I don't think the rabbit ears on the Jumbotron are big enough.
BrightAg13
AG
The guy did this in his spare time, and it is way better than any of the other renderings, even the one you linked. He kept the three deck look that a lot of people find unique to kyle, and made it look more modern and symmetrical with that of the zone. In my opinion, your opinion sucks. Let's see what you got.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
The rendering looks eerily similar to http://209.189.226.235/aandmnews/091804kyle.php as well.

Ummm, what? Seriously? You think the old "lets build giant sections of end zone seating to wrap around the stadium plan" looks like this one with expanded sideline decks and more minimal south end zone stuff?

Yeah I guess its pretty similar in that its Kyle Field, gray, and it has seats on all 4 sides...

Not to mention that this is a hobby piece and that was actual structural renderings planned from the ground up.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 10/14/2011 3:35p).]
SchizoAg
AG
85AustinAg, you have poor taste. Shut up and go away.
bagger05
AG
85, I disagree with your opinion that you think it looks like that mock up with the Zone wrapping around the corners. That design added a huge chunk of the seating to nosebleed sections in the corners of the endzones, whereas this one doesn't really add any "bad" seats.

I'm also confused by this statement:
quote:
This look is way too focused on what the stadium looks like from the inside. When the stadium is full, who the hell cares what it looks like from the inside. The $ and design needs to be on the outside, the restrooms, concourse, private boxes, concessions - improving the game day experience. This "look" does non of that.

The OP has stated before that this would be a reconstruction on the second and third decks which would almost certainly include upgraded and modernized concourses, restrooms, facade, etc.

Since you are in favor of basically tearing it down and starting from scratch, what would you have the new stadium look like? Not saying that you should create your own rendering, but give us a stadium that already exists that you would model the reconstructed Kyle Field after?

What specifically about this rendering do you not like? Would prefer two decks instead of three, more club seating, suites between first and second decks instead of between second and third, etc. So far you haven't said much other than that you don't like this rendering. You haven't said much about what specifically you don't like or what you would prefer instead.
Marcus Pollio
aggiehawg
AG
Where's the wedding chapel gonna be?

(Just kidding.)
Kceovaisnt-
AG
It's update time!

I have finished the canopy design with a more formidable buttress support members. The south suites now feature exterior box seats. 12th man TV slimmed down. I have also added the north corner trons for those that cannot see the big boy. Oh yeah, I have also added lights throughout. We can haz nite games!

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1110/23220741.png

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5982/53635550.png

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7679/21960607.png

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3010/59761363.png

Next up is a major overhaul of the exterior. This may take a while. 85 might even crack a smile, though I doubt it.

PS - Help a rook.
Austin Ag
AG
Kceovaisnt: To post images, click my edit ^ button to see how I did it, or see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode.

AND please put "TEXAS AGGIES" in the endzones.

[This message has been edited by Austin Ag (edited 10/14/2011 10:48p).]
fireinthehole
Potential. Corner trons need to be a little larger.

Real nice 3D graphic skills by the way.

Might have to raise the corner trons higher in the corners to have room to make them larger, also more visible then maybe. Takes more structure to do that though.

[This message has been edited by fireinthehole (edited 10/14/2011 10:45p).]

[This message has been edited by fireinthehole (edited 10/14/2011 10:49p).]
mts6175
AG
He's still a rookie, he can't post pics.
mts6175
AG
That said, looks phenomenal. Not sure how hot it would be under that cover though......
awlwren
AG
Yes, I agree. Also, our team is solar-powered. This could present a problem.

Stay in there, Aggies...
BrightAg13
AG
Is the press box gone?
lb3
AG
TyHolden
AG
new one...it would be very loud

[This message has been edited by thomas2029 (edited 10/14/2011 11:20p).]
Kceovaisnt-
AG
AustinAg - Cannot post pics, click my edit button. Thanks for the help though.

fireinthehole - The corner screens appear smaller than they are as I am using an extremely wide-angle field of view to fit more in the camera frame. Each is around 50 ft. wide.

mts6175 - The immense heat at Kyle even during mild temperature games are bad. This is mainly caused by heat converted from absorbed sunlight in the concrete that convects to the surrounding air. The direct UV radiation as well as infra-red from sun exposure to your skin makes it feel even hotter. The cover should provide plenty of relief. The canopies are vented toward the deck tops to not deter airflow. This was the main cause for the idea.

BQZip01 -

quote:
Lastly, are you saying there is up to a 12 dB difference in sound volume with the sides open!?! For those not familiar with the dB scale it's logarithmic...ok, so I need to consider my audience: Aggies. roughly 3 dB equates to the sound DOUBLING! 12 dB equates to a 16x increase in sound!

You are correct that +3dB is a double in the wave power but you are forgetting that the human ear responds dynamically to a logarithmic amplitude domain not linear. 3dB is not doubling in apparent volume to your perception. That's why we measure sound pressure with a logarithmic scale in the first place.

To apply it to the scenario, its less than 8 percent apparent loudness difference we are talking about (assuming 120dB reference). If you were to add the damping factor of the air (which varies), after the return echo propagation I would estimate that would drop to in the ballpark of 3 percent. Like I said the added people in those seats has a far greater potential contribution. Nice post otherwise.

BrightAg13 - Yes the Pressbox structure is gone in favor of integrating the press facilities into the suite levels between 2nd and 3rd decks. The current camera angles are bad and many stadiums are adopting this design option.

BTHO Baylor
J.D.
AG
Love the canopies.
Copp
Kceovaisnt:

Just curious, what happened to ditching the field level suites and making the first deck a level bowl all the way around? Also adding tunnels for the oppossing teams?

Any luck with a place for the cannon?

Any word on dressing up those walkways from the zone to east and west decks so we aren't just staring at concrete?

I love the canopy design, just feel like many will complain because it will prohibit many from seeing the flyover.

Can't wait to see the work you put in on the facade! Just ignore 85 man, dont let one sour grape who is adding nothing to the discussion spoil your work. Your doing awesome brotha!

[This message has been edited by Zachcopp (edited 10/15/2011 1:54a).]
dreyOO
of course they'll complain. but safety from heat-related injuries >>>> seeing flyover.

I think the canopies look very nice. Great new versions here.
Boise.RLM
Love the canopies too, but the phrase "tornado magnet" keeps popping into my head.
12th Ag
AG
The south renovation needs to be three decks high as the north. This will be our last opportunity to add on, so we need to maximize the seating. Build the jumbotron into the second deck and do the same on north end so everyone can see one of them.
Austin Ag
AG
Kceovaisnt- if you post quotes, then you can post the pictures. The only difference is putting "img" in place of "quote" in the code.

TEXAS AGGIES please....
Amarillo Slim
AG
OP......I love your work here. IMO the endzone scoreboard is too high to be that effective. I notice several playes use it now when running in that direction to see where the defender is. Also, your reasoning for the outside look is sound but I personally am not a big fan of the look. I will spend some time looking to see if I can provide a picture to be more constructive. Curious what others think?

...........Ftu&ESiPN
Ag8086
AG
Bring the bottoms decks closer to the field, they are the oldest built in the 1920's and need replaced. Corps still will have room to march, they march when chair seats are on the track outward. Helps with noise and visual too.

Any noise or health problems with seats next to jumbotons in the corners?

Make the sides the same height so you fill in the corner gaps in the future if you want to.

Fix south end so you can add the upper deck in 20+ years.

Have cameras for TV and booths for TV and radio announcers at a lower level, other press members canbe higher.

Canopies are good, will they create extra heat like a metal roof on a barn?

Overall great and has been fun disscussing options.

Mateo84
AG
Great job OP!

I love the canopies and the majority of the design ... I agree with the potential changes to the south end, including more than one level of seating (at least potentially) and lowering the jumbotron.

I am also not in love with the outside facade, but don't have any better suggestions either.

This is starting to sound like it is on the level of the Death Star aka JerryWorld in cost though (not sure if much of this is financially reasonable).

[This message has been edited by Mateo84 (edited 10/15/2011 7:46a).]
aggielax036
AG
I know this is something that probably has been thought about but I was wondering what happens too g Rollie? A lot of school programs take Place in the ol holler house... Would you build a second student rec center and have those prOgrams take place there?

[This message has been edited by Aggielax036 (edited 10/15/2011 7:59a).]
Kceovaisnt-
AG
zachcopp:
quote:
Just curious, what happened to ditching the field level suites and making the first deck a level bowl all the way around? Also adding tunnels for the oppossing teams?

Any luck with a place for the cannon?

There is about a 50/50 split opinion regarding the elevated south zone. Some have even contacted me through other means to voice their approval. I will make a second version without the field level club when I finish the new facade.

As for the spirit of '02, I cannot find the regulations about cannon placement during a game. Anyone know?

quote:
Any word on dressing up those walkways from the zone to east and west decks so we aren't just staring at concrete?

How might I?

Boise.RLM:
quote:
Love the canopies too, but the phrase "tornado magnet" keeps popping into my head.

I have also heard hurricanes. Look, damaging winds are damaging, but that does not mean they would cause total destruction of Kyle Field nor would they take off like a house roof in a Cat. 4. The supporting structure would be steel and the canopy would be framed in an alloy rib joists and covered with a thick impermeable synthetic fabric like vinyl on top and treated with a rigid surface underneath (PVC, carbon fiber, fiberglass, rolled steel, Lexan, acrylic, or whatever). If wind forces become critical, the awning materials will fail before the internal rib structure or the support system gets even close to critical forces and moments.

Ag8086:
quote:
Bring the bottoms decks closer to the field, they are the oldest built in the 1920's and need replaced. Corps still will have room to march, they march when chair seats are on the track outward. Helps with noise and visual too.

Even though the distance from the sideline to the stands is about the same as most other stadiums (I am aware some get closer toward the end zones), I will look into doing this.

quote:
Any noise or health problems with seats next to jumbotons in the corners?

Only if they are allergic to light. The panel is just an LED matrix. As for noise I assume you mean sound. Speakers do not have to be attached to a video board (case & point Reed Arena). The new speaker system would be fly-mounted to the canopy structure throughout Kyle Field. The sound quality would be gargantuan in comparison to the current scheme.

quote:
Make the sides the same height so you fill in the corner gaps in the future if you want to.

No. The corners should not be filled in and making the deck heights the same is pretty much impossible.

quote:
Fix south end so you can add the upper deck in 20+ years.

With this design, you still can. It is the same footprint as the north side.

quote:
Canopies are good, will they create extra heat like a metal roof on a barn?

As I have said and explained in previous posts, no it will not.

Aggielax036:
quote:
I know this is something that probably has been thought about but I was wondering what happens too g Rollie? A lot of school programs take Place in the ol holler house... Would you build a second student rec center and have those prOgrams take place there?

Make your peace with the old holler house now. Because it's coming down. Most everyone else is happy about this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.