Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Dear Fish Campers, Greeks, FLOs, etc...

34,268 Views | 386 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by Viper16
TexasAggiesWin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Let me introduce you to Flo....

churrodisaster
AG
^ This thread is what's wrong with TexAgs.
They Call me Stacey
churrodisaster,

Eat a Von Miller Chopped Dick and die.

Sincerely,

The world.
TexasAggiesWin
S
I would argue people that make 5 posts in 3 years and then claim to know what is wrong with TexAgs is actually what is wrong with TexAgs??
Mr. Stubb
Oh, come on. There are way worse things about TexAgs than this thread.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
^
|
|
+1

edit: post above this one

"Trust me, I'm a scientist."

[This message has been edited by aturner12 (edited 11/16/2010 6:24p).]
A_MBaseballFan
People that claim they know what wrong with texags are what's wrong with texags
AggieLish13
quote:
Student organizations (Corps, Greek, Fish Camp, etc) play a large role in what makes A&M as great as it. The traditions that we all love so much were are started from these organizations.

Thank you.
Ragnar Danneskjold
no one gives a crap if youre in organizations, but WEAR MAROON TO AGGIE GAMES YOU NERDS.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Student organizations (Corps, Greek, Fish Camp, etc) play a large role in what makes A&M as great as it. The traditions that we all love so much were are started from these organizations.

Let me know which traditions sprang from frats and fish camp. Thanks.
boozinCTAG
well uncover is one tradition...

Keep College Station Normal
Kampfers
AG
quote:
well uncover is one tradition...

So is yelling "hump it ags" during the spirit...
JOHN2010
AG
quote:

like guys painting their fingernails and dying their hair pink?

and like FLO's setting up mini-trampolines in the academic plaza and jumping and SCREAMING at 7:45AM when I'm walking to my 8am?

AWESOME TRADITIONS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by JOHN2010 (edited 11/16/2010 7:45p).]
AggieLish13
quote:

The corps can be credited for most of our traditions, and I wont defend the trampolines at 7:45am or the non-maroon at football games, but I will point out that the "Maroon Out" tradition was started by a member of a student organization and is still sponsored and run by Class Councils, which is a FLO when you are a freshman member.

When I quoted the OP of the statement, I was more referring to the first part. The 800+ student organizations are a huge part in what makes Texas A&M as great and unique as it is.

When I talk to my friends who go to ou or tech, all they talk about is this frat party or what this sorority is doing or hanging out with. Every once in a while, I hear a few words about philanthropy or whatnot, but it's very rarely about serving anyone other than themselves.

Here at A&M, we have a history of service. Yes, we have those d-bags who are just like the people I described above. However, as someone who is involved in more than one service organization on campus, I can say that many (not all) of the people involved in the organizations you are trash talking are really passionate about giving back. Specifically, organizations like The Big Event and CARPOOL are organizations that started at A&M and have provided the basis for similar organizations all over the country.

Whether you like how they do it or not, Fish Camp counselors provide a service to the incoming class of freshmen, and while you may not have enjoyed your Fish Camp experience, there are countless others who leave camp really feeling like they belong to the Aggie Family. Fish Camp counselors may be a little "look at me"/obnoxious/crazy, but that doesn't mean they don't love this school.
Fresh As I Is
AG
Maroon doesn't match my green shades, bro.

Kampfers
AG
quote:
and like FLO's setting up mini-trampolines in the academic plaza and jumping and SCREAMING at 7:45AM when I'm walking to my 8am?

Try living in hart hall, where they are yelling outside your window and you don't have classes til 11.
Texags is garbage
quote:

I love my noise cancelling headphones. I think it's far more obnoxious when they climb up in a tree and yell shickt

Dunners2011
AG
and to think i could have been page 1 but thought this thread wouldnt take off
SwissAggie13
AG
Haterz gonna hate.

I'll be rockin my Polo shirt under my Polo dress shirt under my Polo sweatshirt.
jimbotron
wtf is a flo?
blinkags12
AG
I'd honestly hate to think of how lost the majority of the freshmen would be if they came into A&M by only learning what they were taught at their New Student Orientation.

I've been a Fish Camp Counselor and I've had several of my freshmen have their friends who didn't go to Fish Camp come to our hangouts, go to football games, soccer games, etc, because they want to be able to get involved themselves.

So sure, go ahead and badmouth Fish Camp all you want, I know nothing I say will sway all your opinion. I will say, however, that without Fish Camp there would still be Aggies out there who knew the traditions, having been taught by their parents.

However, those first generation Aggies, who weren't blessed to have someone come before you and instill the traditions into you from a very young age, would be utterly lost without an event like Fish Camp to set them in the right direction.

Fish Camp isn't about promoting mohawks or neon colors. It's about promoting unity. And if the freshmen are even a little bit reassured about their choice of colleges after attending it, then it's done its job. Obviously the organization must be doing something right, it's not like its hurting in camp attendance or counselor turnout.

I'm not saying Fish Camp is a perfect organization, but I will say that it helps a solid majority of the incoming freshmen get their foot in the door as far as finding where they fit in at this university.

Element_AG
AG
I attended A&M in the early 90s. Long story, but I grew up a fan of tu and only applied there originally. I applied late to A&M after meeting a professor who convinced me, academically, it was the right place for me to be.

People that knew me were shocked when I decided to attend A&M. I used to say, "I'm going to Texas A&M, and I'll be proud to be a graduate of Texas A&M, but I'll never be one of those crazy Aggies." I knew nothing about the traditions. I did not attend fish camp and all the dorms were full so I lived off-campus.

Shortly after moving in, someone from my apartment complex invited me to cut. Then I went to my first yell practice (not knowing any yells or the words to any songs). Needless to say, I instantly became "one of those crazy Aggies." I learned all the yells, words to the songs, traditions, etc. just from being an Aggie. I didn't need Fish Camp for that.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with those that attended Fish Camp, as I have no idea what happens there. I'm just saying any student who has a pulse and wants to be part of the spirit will learn everything they need to know just by being a student at Texas A&M.

Of course, I had bonfire and the Wrecking Crew!
BetaAg07
AG
Why hasn't anyone stated the obvious...

1) why didn't the cadets participate in Red White and Blue out?

2) they should also be wearing maroon this Saturday and be ONE with the student body!
TeeBee2011
DO NOT QUESTION CORPS YOU JEALOUS NON-REG 2%ER NEW ARMY! HIGHWAY SIX RUNS BOTH WAYS
BetaAg07
AG
Do you even know what the definition of a 2%er is?????
Ag 11
AG
quote:
I learned all the yells, words to the songs, traditions, etc. just from being an Aggie. I didn't need Fish Camp for that.
this
mpaggie06
AG
quote:
The corps can be credited for most of our traditions, and I wont defend the trampolines at 7:45am or the non-maroon at football games, but I will point out that the "Maroon Out" tradition was started by a member of a student organization and is still sponsored and run by Class Councils, which is a FLO when you are a freshman member.

Uh, first "(INSERT SCHOOL/TEAM COLOR HERE) OUTS" aren't unique to A&M, nor were they invented here. Second, A&M fans/students have been, and should always have been, wearing maroon to games since the dawn of time. This isn't a novel concept. The concept that the organization came up with was to popularize it (post it in the Batallion, drum up some ra-ra support for it, etc), knowing that A&M had become a hot-bed of kids just ACHING to prove their redassness, and then sell shirts for it to fund their organization and their activities (I'm sure they also donate a portion of the proceeds, so not saying they aren't philanthropists, nor am I knocking capitalism). Don't give these student organizations too much credit for common sense things that the vast majority of Ags were already doing.
P.C. Principal
This thread is still going on.
ChiTownAggie
"However, those first generation Aggies, who weren't blessed to have someone come before you and instill the traditions into you from a very young age, would be utterly lost without an event like Fish Camp to set them in the right direction."

This, for me at least. I had no idea about ANY Aggie traditions - I was the first in my family to go to college, let alone A&M. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but I had a great time and hit the ground running in Aggieland!
toddmandude
my FLO was all about Aggie traditions. If you look at 90% of the basketball pictures frm last year, we filled up 4 whole rows, wore white shirts and were the loudest group in Reed. We also camped for football and showed up wearing maroon, doing yells and watching the game.

However, i would consider it the best FLO on campus, so we might be an outlier.
MisterJones
AG
quote:
i would consider it the best FLO on campus

^
TFM
Jock 07
AG
...please quit jumping around like a bunch of Kansas City ***gots
joeaggie8888
AG
Do FLO have board?
Sid Farkas
AG
My wife thinks I'm crazy...but I say Flo's is kinda hot
RecAg2006
AG
Blaming student organizations is crazy. People in these organizations are the ones who support A&M and attend the games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.