Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Running Thread***

33,443 Views | 366 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Swarely
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1:47:07 half marathon PR this morning

TwoRivers half down river road in New Braunfels.
K Bo
AG
Good work!
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Hell yeah! Great job, man.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Pilot
AG
Is anyone at the Summit Backyard Ultra? I think it's down to two guys. A friend ended up doing 162.5 mi, she was the last female standing.
Ragoo
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Hell yeah! Great job, man.
thank you! Legs are paying for the effort today. Wowzer.

Also, I o ow you are in SA. Looks like there is another half in NB late January. Might be worth looking into. I will probably sign up.

https://www.athleteguild.com/event/new-braunfels-tx/2024-das-dreizehneins-131-half-marathon-and-5k
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Damn, would've been a good warm up for the Austin half in February, but I work that weekend.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
'03ag
'03ag said:

Was able to do 3 miles without stopping this morning. For me this is game on now. Just have to manage my joints and keep cross training.

Just been needing to get my lungs to a point where I could manage a pace and slog through it. I'm slow as hell and that's annoying, but I'll figure it out

Couple weeks after this I came down with a bad case of bronchitis. Took way too long to get over. Big setback but I got after it again this week. Did my own turkey trot this morning, walking about a quarter mile total out of 5k.

At this point I think going from couch to half marathon by cowtown will be extremely tough. Just gonna get in the best shape I can and hope I can along through it.
mrmill3218
AG
Been battling some knee pain the last couple of weeks. It's a generalized dull pain that appears to be on the outside of my right knee, to the right on my patellar tendon. Battles patellar tendinitis for years and it's a different pain from that.
94chem
Maybe IT band? If that's it, you can probably keep it from getting worse and moving up the leg if you just take a week or 2 off. You may be able to stationary bike without pain if you need to maintain fitness.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
mrmill3218
AG
94chem said:

Maybe IT band? If that's it, you can probably keep it from getting worse and moving up the leg if you just take a week or 2 off. You may be able to stationary bike without pain if you need to maintain fitness.

I was thinking either IT band or meniscus. I took a week off but still started hurting about a mile in today. I really would like to maintain fitness so I'll try hopping on my rower since I don't have access to a stationary bike. I'm wondering if I went down a hill too quickly a couple weeks ago. It seems like that's when it all stated - on that run. Anyway, really appreciate the input.
Swarely
How'd everyone's turkey trots go?

I was 2:21 slower than last year, but was still good enough for 3rd in my age group. Stupid leg cramp.
Jackal99
AG
My 10-year old and I did a 10k turkey trot last Sunday. His first 10k, so it was a slower pace than his recent 5k times. He did finish second in his age group, though, and I finished third in mine. (And yes, I did stick with him the entire time.)
Pepesilvia
AG
Injured my calf during marathon training - think its a calf strain. Still 80 days out so I have some time to heal if its minimal, but this is frustrating to say the least.

Any advice on dealing with an injury like this? Take a few weeks off? Taking a few weeks off to heal seems like it will set me back too much just ahead of my biggest training block weeks to still run this thing in february
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Can't run a marathon if you physically can't run. Take at least a week or two off, but during that week or two, you should be hitting the bike, rower, or swimming. Anything that will allow you to maintain cardiovascular fitness.
Sooner Born
Are you trying to do something like Boston Qualify or just run one as fast as you can?
Pepesilvia
AG
This would be my first marathon - Austin marathon in february. Im in decent shape and have done a few halfs this year but im just trying to finish under 4 hours. Under 3:30 is the goal but this certainly sets me back.

I just dont want to injure myself further but i also dont want to drop and pick a different race
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
1:43:18, not too bad for my first half

Edit: Guess I forgot how to upload images
K Bo
AG
If you care/follow him, Nick Bare ran 2:39:20 in the CIM. That dude's a beast.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I follow the guy, but I kinda always just put an asterisk next to anything he does due to obviously being juiced to the gills, and I'm sure abusing EPO. It's an impressive time for a guy his size, but I don't really know how to put his achievements into perspective when he's clearly on PEDs.

It's one thing when I see someone like Kiptum or Kipchoge smashing WRs who are likely also abusing PEDs, but they are also clearly the best in the world among 100s of elite runner who also abuse PEDs. It's another when some random jacked YouTouber is putting up impressive, albeit non-elite times.

I could never match Kiptum or Kipchoge's times, no matter how long I've been training and amount of PEDs I used. However, I think I could maybe match Nick's time if I had endless free time, years of training, professional coaching, and rampant PED abuse.
The Pilot
AG
Anyone run CIM? Had lots of friends running it and seemingly good weather because about 10 went sub 3.
DaveHimself
AG
Anybody know where to find running plans based on minutes rather than mileage?
aggiespartan
AG
Why do you think he's "clearly using PEDs"? He's good friends with Sally McRae and she uses his products. I'd be pretty surprised if she kept that kind of company.
94chem
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

1:43:18, not too bad for my first half

Edit: Guess I forgot how to upload images

Good job! I told you that you'd get under 1:45. And there's another 2 minutes waiting for you with a proper warmup.

I'd never heard of CIM, but then again, I didn't take up running until 6 years ago. I have business in Fresno. Maybe I'll try the half sometime.

Right now I'm training for the Texas Marathon on 1/1. I'll be running the half. I've likely retired from fulls. Got my sub-4 on the 7th try, and tired of the time suck, money suck, weather suck, etc.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Body composition is not attainable naturally, and he was much larger in his bodybuilding/powerlifting days prior to taking up endurance sports. He also had very questionable stretches of gains in the past that are not seen outside of those using. It's not really a question of if he is taking PEDs, he's on them. He also has all the incentive in the world to be on them. He's trying to sell people that taking his supplements will make them look and perform like him. Most fitness YouTube/Instagram/TikTok influencers are undoubtedly abusing, and why wouldn't they? They need to separate themselves from everyone else trying to make a buck.

Some things that should clue you in when following an influencer is if they are consistently maintaining sub 10% body fat while also maintaining large amounts of muscle, which is near impossible for more than a few months at most. Someone that has an FFMI (fat free mass index) greater than 25. Also, large, prominent deltoids and traps are much more common among steroid abusers.
K Bo
AG
https://www.8020endurance.com/product-category/running-plans/

This is what I am currently using for 50K training and have used in the past for both half and full marathons.
RustyBoltz
AG
Joe Friel's plans are typically time based. I've used his plans for half and full IM training but for straight marathon training I follow the Hanson Method which is mileage based.
Swarely
Congrats dude! That's a terrific pace.

I was out there pacing my best friend the first 11 miles in his full sun 4 attempt. When we split up I tried to turn the jets on as best I could to get under 2 for the half. Unfortunately, I came up short by 35 seconds.

Still, I'm pretty happy with that 6 months post liver surgery. My fitness has fallen quite a bit, but I routinely ran half's in the 2:12 range before I started taking running seriously. I consider my time a win.
Jackal99
AG
Did a 10K on Saturday with my son (10 y/o). His second 10K, beat his prior time by 7 minutes. Some walk breaks which I let him dictate, but he figured out on his own to count down from 10 or 15, or to walk to the next sign, etc. He's signed up for the Houston half marathon with me, and is getting pretty excited about it.
wangus12
AG
Just got rejected, again, from Berlin. ****ing lotteries
howapi
AG
Same. Hoping better luck tomorrow for Chicago.
The Pilot
AG
wangus12 said:

Just got rejected, again, from Berlin. ****ing lotteries
Sorry man, especially sucks with the ones that don't have time entries that you can at least target.
wangus12
AG
Of course a friend of mine got in to both London and Berlin.
coop-aero-06
AG
The Pilot said:

Anyone run CIM? Had lots of friends running it and seemingly good weather because about 10 went sub 3.

I ran it for the first time this year. Weather was almost ideal. The forecast said it would be cloudy all day and we ended up mostly sunny. But aside from that, it was great.
howapi
AG
Wasn't selected for Chicago lottery entry. Looking for a large fall or winter marathon next year, thinking Houston or Dallas right now.
wangus12
AG
Ugh Rejected. Now 0/19 in lottery draws for the World Majors. 0/4 Chicago, 0/4 Berlin, 0/3 London, 0/8 NYC.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.