Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

138,365 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jtraggie99
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well played

2girlsdad
Same boat. I was really happy when I doubled 400 on squats, but that was a couple days ago and now thinking how will I get to 500.

With what we know now about diet and exercise and supplementation (both unregulated and pharmaceutical...not talking steroids), I start to think at what age will you just be happy to maintain. 50, 60??

My goal for 80 is a 300 lb bench and 400 squat (so at least where I am at now). From 42 until X I can keep getting stronger, but then at X is maintain as much as possible to, and past, 80.
2girlsdad
This morning, squats felt heavier...375 lbs felt closer to 400. I was feeling like WTF, but then I realized that only a few months ago I would have been happy doing 1 rep with 375 and this AM was 2 reps and 3 reps. It nice to realize that the weight you can do for a couple reps used to be a PR.

I can't wait until I look back at 400 the same.... 8-|
10andBOUNCE
AG
Fighting the urge to pull the trigger on the Titan X3 rack. Today is showing 15% off.
bam02
AG
Do it! I have the T3 and love it. Get the taller one.
10andBOUNCE
AG
What can you tell me about the T3? Had flip flopped between the T and X. I can get the T for 20% off, so roughly $120 less than the X.
bam02
AG
I don't know all the specs but I think it's 2"x3" and has west side barbell spacing for bench. Mine is bolted to my garage floor and is very solid. I got the taller version (91" maybe?). I actually added the multi-grip pull up bar to the top because it adds an extra few inches and I prefer that for pull ups and hangs.

I originally bought the 36" deep rack but switched to the 24" a few months later. I added spotter arms when I ordered the 24" rails. I just liked adding a little more space and feel very safe with the spotter arms and working outside the rack.

If the x3 is beefier then that wouldn't be a bad thing at all if you don't mind the extra cost. The t3 is more than enough for me, though.
2girlsdad
Speaking of squat racks, I want to get a new one soon. I currently have a folding one but would feel better in a cage. However, I want to get a squat cage that also has a pulley system for both pulldowns and rows.

What do y'all suggesst?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks, in-line with what I have heard in general.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Depends on budget as always. The REP Ares seems like it's the cool new thing for racks + pulleys. But most of the mainstream have the add on high/low pulley options.
Beau Holder
AG
2girlsdad said:

This morning, squats felt heavier...375 lbs felt closer to 400. I was feeling like WTF, but then I realized that only a few months ago I would have been happy doing 1 rep with 375 and this AM was 2 reps and 3 reps. It nice to realize that the weight you can do for a couple reps used to be a PR.

I can't wait until I look back at 400 the same.... 8-|

Right with you there. Today's a struggle between the cold and sub-optimal regard for my body this weekend, but I'll take repping a few at 435 when that was barely one on a good day not long ago.
NoHo Hank
AG
Today was a good day for me. Since high school, I've always had the totally responsible benchmark of strong = 225x10 on bench, total ***** = anything < 225x10 on bench. Today I did 10 clean bench reps at 225, so I've officially hit my personal definition of strong. I've hit done 225 a few different periods in my life, but consistently I'll pull something or crash my mountain bike or move on to other interests, or get supremely lazy and stop lifting to focus exclusively on the bulk part of bulking. Nevertheless, feels good to be there again.

When I was in high school I tore my pec and needed surgery so I'm scared to go much heavier than that for fear of scar tissue tearing, so at least on bench I'm solely focused on increasing reps from here on out.
PascalsWager
AG
NoHo Hank said:

Today was a good day for me. Since high school, I've always had the totally responsible benchmark of strong = 225x10 on bench, total ***** = anything < 225x10 on bench. Today I did 10 clean bench reps at 225, so I've officially hit my personal definition of strong. I've hit done 225 a few different periods in my life, but consistently I'll pull something or crash my mountain bike or move on to other interests, or get supremely lazy and stop lifting to focus exclusively on the bulk part of bulking. Nevertheless, feels good to be there again.

When I was in high school I tore my pec and needed surgery so I'm scared to go much heavier than that for fear of scar tissue tearing, so at least on bench I'm solely focused on increasing reps from here on out.
225x10 is almost unfathomable to me. Incredible job!
bagger05
AG
That's awesome! Congrats!

Always feels awesome to hit a milestone.
10andBOUNCE
AG
1's week on OHP today. 160x 3 with a joker at 175. Really want to hit 185 in another month or so.
bagger05
AG
People who don't take re-rack their weights are lousy humans (like people who don't put their cart in the little corral in the grocery store parking lot).
bam02
AG
Pure selfish scum
aggiegolfer03
AG
I'm not gonna complain when someone leaves 3 plates on a leg press tho…
bam02
AG
Well… it's usually leg press guy that is the culprit.
bagger05
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

I'm not gonna complain when someone leaves 3 plates on a leg press tho…
I don't mind someone not totally unloading a machine. Leaving a plate on the leg press seems reasonable, IMO. I at least possibly see some intent to be courteous in there.

Not taking dumbbells back to the rack and leaving them in some random part of the gym? You are a monster.
PascalsWager
AG
bagger05 said:

People who don't take re-rack their weights are lousy humans (like people who don't put their cart in the little corral in the grocery store parking lot).
A lot of the guys at my gym do a decent job of re-racking their weights. But they often leaving 45s on some machines or bars. I'm not necessarily going to say its selfishness because they may just be thinking the next guy is gonna use that anyway.

But A few days an older lady (maybe mid 70s) thanked me for taking all my plates off a machine. I don't think it would've been possible for her to take 45s off at the angle and height of the machine I was using. If we're trying to promote all the benefits of weights then re-racking your plates unless the next user specifically asks you to leave them on seems like a no brainer.

Another re-rack thing I always do (and which annoys me when other don't) is put my smaller plates away on this christmas-tree like plate holder thing that is in a obvious public place and which has labeled numbers for where to put which plate. Its annoying to search for 10s and 5s and 2.5s. And its even more annoying when someone racks a 5 and then 45s on top of it. Because you have to move everything to reach a smaller plate.
Beau Holder
AG
Yep, incredibly annoying, and so are people who are too lazy or braindead to put dumbbells in the correctly labeled place on the rack. Nothing better than bringing a pair of 60s back to where they should go to find two 35s sitting there.
10andBOUNCE
AG
What's the etiquette if I'm trying to put away my 50s and someone else took that spot with 30s? Do I continue the mess or stop and rearrange?
bagger05
AG
I make an effort to get everything in the right spot. Not going to reorganize the entire rack but I'll try to set things in order if I can.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I hate when the a-hole who uses the squat rack in my gym leaves the dip attachment on the rack. They know damn well next time it's gonna be used the person won't be using it for dips.

bagger05
AG
Gods were testing me. Went to return the 80s and found 45s in their spot.

Moved the 45s down below and put the 80s where they belonged.
Farmer1906
AG
I don't miss the gym. Went home gym a decade ago and haven't looked back.
bagger05
AG
I don't really have the real estate for a home gym. If I did I might get a home setup. Would save me 10 minutes each way a few times a week.

But I kinda like going in and seeing people. I don't really have friends there but I have a few folks I will chit chat with and others where we recognize each other and give a head nod.
Farmer1906
AG
That is fair. There are tons of valid reasons to want to go to the gym.

What it ultimately came down to me was time. We all only have so much so if I can save 30 min of travel every time I work out, that means I get that time back or I get that time working out. If I work out 3x a week then I get 3+ days of the year back not in my truck driving to the gym.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I enjoy having the option to work out at my house and have a pretty good setup but I still prefer to go to the gym if my schedule allows. I work from home and sometimes just need to get the heck out of the house for a few hours. Plus I am an extrovert and gregarious and the gym is a nice place to socialize.

That being said, some days I feel like I am going to go insane dealing with some of the new generation of gym goers...

• The complete lack of spatial awareness
  • The lack of responsibility (putting up weights)
  • Zero consideration for others (sitting on machines they're not using as they scroll through tiktok)
  • The narcissistic behavior (filming EVERYTHING and being inconsiderate of tripods/camera, taking shirts off in the middle of the gym during peak hours - get that crap out of here, and more)

Sorry for yelling at clouds here...
CharlieBrown17
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

I hate when the a-hole who uses the squat rack in my gym leaves the dip attachment on the rack. They know damn well next time it's gonna be used the person won't be using it for dips.

You mean the curl rack?
aggiegolfer03
AG
yes, same a-hole does occasionally do barbell curls in the rack (I work out at home, so I'm complaining about me).
Beau Holder
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Farmer1906 said:

I enjoy having the option to work out at my house and have a pretty good setup but I still prefer to go to the gym if my schedule allows. I work from home and sometimes just need to get the heck out of the house for a few hours. Plus I am an extrovert and gregarious and the gym is a nice place to socialize.

That being said, some days I feel like I am going to go insane dealing with some of the new generation of gym goers...

• The complete lack of spatial awareness
  • The lack of responsibility (putting up weights)
  • Zero consideration for others (sitting on machines they're not using as they scroll through tiktok)
  • The narcissistic behavior (filming EVERYTHING and being inconsiderate of tripods/camera, taking shirts off in the middle of the gym during peak hours - get that crap out of here, and more)

Sorry for yelling at clouds here...

All correct. But like you, I WFH and so find it hard to be motivated to go 100% when I'm home all day, so I still go. I'm intentional about getting out to lift, to meditate, and even sometimes to a coffee shop or something to work.

After five or so years at the same gym, I feel like I know everyone. Kind of makes it one of the "third places" that our society seems to be rapidly losing.
bagger05
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

aggiegolfer03 said:

You mean the curl rack?

And are made in the kitchen
Biceps are made in the squat rack
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Yep. I am on year 14 at same gym so I know a lot of folks. It is fun to BS, talk about workout plans, help people out with their program/exercises, and just chat with a diverse group of folks that all have a common goal of self improvement.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.