Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

95,319 Views | 1418 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Tex117
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I settled on the red one. I tried the blue one but it was just too painful. I am pretty dang strong so I figured I'd need more resistance but the red one worked great and wasn't as painful to use when it was really inflamed.
Pahdz
If you want my green Flexbar I'll give it to you if you pay the shipping.
aggiederelict
It's amazing your PT regimen didn't include a strong strengthening program. I recommend the Flexbar to all of my elbow tendon patients.
bam02
AG
Well I called it PT but it was actually Airrosti. They did prescribe some strengthening exercises, though.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'll probably take you up on that! Can email me at username at gmail.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Gotta take the long term approach - you will look back in 6 to 8 months and not even remember the deload.

Realistically, you are going to hit a point where it's going to be hard to add 5 or 10 pounds to your squat every month and you're going to have to start to experiment and learn what works for you and what doesn't. If it was a straight linear path, I'd already be squatting 400+. I'm having to learn to enjoy the journey, work around the setbacks, and listen to and understand my body.

I can't say that I worried much about adding muscle mass when deloading my squat because I knew that my ultimate goal was to keep adding to my squat no matter how long that took, and that fixing my form would work towards my long term goals and I didn't want to risk injury by being stubborn and continuing to stack weight while my back hurt.

It's a good time to put some focus on other lifts - try to focus on gains in your bench or deadlift and let the squat come along. It will catch up eventually.

ETA: I'm in a similar situation with my deadlift and it's really starting to piss me off. Feel like I've been stuck since May and that it's entirely because of my form. I should probably take my own advice but it's easier to give it out than it is to follow it haha
Yeah...I just don't want to get fat while taking the long term approach!

And thank you for the advice. Its good to hear it...even though you "know" it.

Im starting to get to the point where this is more like "running" rather than just "hitting the gym." What I mean by that is that you have off days for some reason or other where you just aren't performing at your best. Before, (and doing lighter weight...or something more body building), you could always do a little something to get a pump...Lifting heavy...it feels like the whole workout is ruining (which it isin't, but it feels that way).

CC09LawAg
Tex117 said:

CC09LawAg said:

Gotta take the long term approach - you will look back in 6 to 8 months and not even remember the deload.

Realistically, you are going to hit a point where it's going to be hard to add 5 or 10 pounds to your squat every month and you're going to have to start to experiment and learn what works for you and what doesn't. If it was a straight linear path, I'd already be squatting 400+. I'm having to learn to enjoy the journey, work around the setbacks, and listen to and understand my body.

I can't say that I worried much about adding muscle mass when deloading my squat because I knew that my ultimate goal was to keep adding to my squat no matter how long that took, and that fixing my form would work towards my long term goals and I didn't want to risk injury by being stubborn and continuing to stack weight while my back hurt.

It's a good time to put some focus on other lifts - try to focus on gains in your bench or deadlift and let the squat come along. It will catch up eventually.

ETA: I'm in a similar situation with my deadlift and it's really starting to piss me off. Feel like I've been stuck since May and that it's entirely because of my form. I should probably take my own advice but it's easier to give it out than it is to follow it haha
Yeah...I just don't want to get fat while taking the long term approach!

And thank you for the advice. Its good to hear it...even though you "know" it.

Im starting to get to the point where this is more like "running" rather than just "hitting the gym." What I mean by that is that you have off days for some reason or other where you just aren't performing at your best. Before, (and doing lighter weight...or something more body building), you could always do a little something to get a pump...Lifting heavy...it feels like the whole workout is ruining (which it isin't, but it feels that way).

Yeah, I feel like I am at that same point and it is part of why I am liking 5/3/1 more than Madcow. With Madcow, my only option was to hit 5 on my top set or do the same workout all over again next week. I was getting super frustrated with failing on that and always having to feel like the circumstances needed to be perfect.

With 5/3/1, it changes every week and the last set is an AMRAP. I feel like even on my crappy energy days (which are more often than not lately with a newborn) I am able to complete the workout; I may only get a rep or two above the prescribed reps on my AMRAP set and I may shave a few sets off accessories towards the end depending on how I feel, but the bulk of the workout is done and I am still making progress.

Training Volume Basics If You're New to Lifting Weights (shape.com)

#7 in that article was something new to me. It's a formula to help you calculate fatigue vs. the volume you are lifting. You may be overtraining and not even realizing it. This part is a new focus for me so it could be bogus, but plugging it in with my volume the past month it seems to check out.
aggiederelict
It's almost like they don't want you to get better faster and keep coming back.
bam02
AG
I'm not gonna argue about it. I think both have their place. I've had them fix something that months if very compliant PT did Jack squat for.
aggiederelict
What did they fix out of curiosity?
bam02
AG
SI joint pain.
aggiederelict
What did they do to fix it?
bam02
AG
It's been 10 years or more so I don't remember specifically. It was a lot of the typical "myofascial release" where they dig into the soft tissues with their thumb. I don't remember where all they did it and what exercises they had me do.

I will say I am a believer in it. The way they explain how it works sounds fishy, but I've been two other times for nagging shoulder injuries that they helped me with.

The tennis elbow was the only time they haven't been able to help.
aggiederelict
Sounds good. I do a fair amount of tissue work in my practice. It gets a bad rap by the exercise only group of rehab of professionals but I think they don't like touching people and it's hard on the hands.
CC09LawAg
Random question.

What is considered "big" when it comes to thigh circumference?
Pantera
AG
depends on her height
bam02
CC09LawAg
Let's say she's 6'2, 230
aggiederelict
That's a huge b*tch
Pantera
AG
dbl post
Pantera
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Random question.

What is considered "big" when it comes to thigh circumference?

Anything above 25 inches is pretty huge with low bf%. It can vary a lot how "good" the thighs look depending on their frame and muscle build.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I'm 5'10" 225 lbs and like 20% BF, and mine are like 24ish. Squat is mid to upper 400's fwiw.

So yeah, 25+ at lower BF than me sounds pretty damn big.
CC09LawAg
Is there a certain spot that is generally measured, or is it at the widest point?

I'm having a hell of a time finding pants and I don't feel like my legs are that big. So just trying to get an idea of if there may be stuff off the rack I can buy or if I'm going to have to start getting things tailored.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just wait until you start splitting all of your dress pants
CC09LawAg
Yeah, that is where I am at. I think I'm going to have to start getting a bigger waist and have them taken in. But it ain't cheap so I'm trying to find some cheaper alternatives since I have to wear them basically every day.

I don't mind spending the money, but can't drop $500 for a few new pair of tailored pants right now. Especially when I'm currently trying to gain and plan to cut back 20-30 pounds early next year.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Luckily I dont have to wear suits anymore but when I did, i was spending more on tailor fees and cutting them down then I was on the actual suits. Yes, they were cheaper suits but still...

This is honestly one of the worst things about being a weightlifter/powerlifter/extremely athletic build. I don't have a good solution for you on the pants other than buy anything that stretches. It is way more comfortable and helps a lot if your weight fluctuates.
aggiegolfer03
AG
As far as jeans go, I've had good luck with Duluth Balllroom Relaxed fit jeans.

I usually have to compromise either the thighs, ass or waist, but these work for all 3.
Pahdz
problem is they aren't exactly stylish
aggiegolfer03
AG
Jeans are supposed to be stylish? I'll ask our mechanics or welders what they think on this subject…
Pahdz
I own a single pair of those jeans...for yard work and other blue collar tasks

I'd never wear them to office, church or on a date
PascalsWager
AG
I had a weird mind body connection thing happen to me today at the gym. For the last 6 months or so I drilled the mental cue of slow eccentric into everything I do from free weights to machines. I try to take a 3-5 second eccentric motion.

But today I realized I can't control the tempo of my lifts anymore. I can't not, not use slow eccentrics. It took a HUGE amount of focus and willpower to just rep out a set quickly.

Is my brain rotting? Or is this normal?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Took my first step toward investing in a home/garage gym.

Picked up a pair of 35/25/10/5/2.5 cast iron plates from Bells of Steel Black Friday sales. Going to plan on bumper plates for my 45s. Gym membership has about 11 months remaining, so have some time to slowly build it up. Excited!
BQRyno
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Took my first step toward investing in a home/garage gym.

Picked up a pair of 35/25/10/5/2.5 cast iron plates from Bells of Steel Black Friday sales. Going to plan on bumper plates for my 45s. Gym membership has about 11 months remaining, so have some time to slowly build it up. Excited!

I'm gonna guess now that you have weights waiting in the garage, there's no way 11 months go by before you have a setup ready to go. They'll scream at you every time you walk by. Let's see how long that will power lasts!
10andBOUNCE
AG
I sure hope so! The last month or so I've gotten very OCD about garage organizing and am close to having a nice 12x10 space cleared out and ready for the horse stall mats. Will be working on a couple sets of shelves over the holidays to get the rest of our junk off the ground level.
bam02
AG
Did you sign a multi-year gym membership?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.