Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

99,064 Views | 1444 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Sea Speed
Claude!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CharlieBrown17 said:

aggiegolfer03 said:

I hate when the a-hole who uses the squat rack in my gym leaves the dip attachment on the rack. They know damn well next time it's gonna be used the person won't be using it for dips.

You mean the curl rack?
Years ago, I witnessed someone do three or four sets of squats in the squat rack. Bodyweight squats. Not as a warm-up. I wasn't annoyed, just confused.
bam02
AG
Some people take things too literally.
CC09LawAg
Could've been a mime in training
aggiegolfer03
AG
Just curious. I've always done my first couple of warmup sets on squats without my belt. Do y'all do that as well?

Like today I'm walking up 5's from 315 to whatever feels good for 5 by 20 lbs…did my 225 and 275 with no belt. I just always like feeling some comfort doing something pretty heavy with no assistance.
Farmer1906
AG
I only ever put on the belt when I feel like it gets really heavy.
Beau Holder
AG
Depends if I'm going for max/1RM. I usually don't put on the belt until 405+ on squats or 495+ on deadlift if I'm trying to tax my core, rep it out, etc. But if I know I'm working up to basically a 10 RPE rep, I'll use the belt pretty early on so I can perfect where it's going to sit, feel it out to know it feels right, and so on.

So in sum yes, generally speaking, most times I do like you do. Usually I'm four or so warm-up sets in before I break out the belt.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I ditched my weight belt about 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back. I'm not that old but not using a belt sort of limits how heavy I go on squats and I truly believe it has helped my squat develop into a great lift for me.

And I'm still squatting heavier weight (5+ plates) but not where I know I could squat with a belt and knee sleeves.
Beau Holder
AG
I get the belt thing but absolutely don't know how you can do that weight without sleeves. I don't wear them because I think they help my max weight, I do it to keep from having god awful knee pain.
bam02
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I only ever put on the belt when I feel like it gets really heavy.

Same
bam02
AG
Yeah I can't imagine ever giving up my belt and knee sleeves. I love the sleeves.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I had to reconstruct my squat form about 10 years back when I had bad patellar tendonitis. I was using light weight for a few months and just eventually abandoned them all together. Belt was just something I left at home one week and then realized I didn't really need it.

I am sure there is a ton of benefit to using them and would help me drastically if I wanted to go heavier; however, I am not competing for anything so I just try and have fun... I do want to try and hit 6 plates without a belt here before too long. I have done it before with a belt and honestly think I could knock it out quickly but I am getting to be a little B as I get older.
CC09LawAg
225 is usually my number to put on my belt for squat and deadlift. That is usually around my last warmup set so it lets me feel it out for comfort level and placement before I get into my working sets.

I don't want to mess with a working set because my belt was uncomfortable.

I've never used knee sleeves for squats. I've also thought about getting something for my shins on deadlifts. Any brand recommendations?
bam02
AG
Rehband for knee sleeves. No recs for shins. Never had a problem with shins and deadlifts.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I used to wear high socks on DL day but I really haven't had any issues with my shins getting beat up.

Knee sleeves are a must when I go heavy (for me). Not sure if it is more mental than anything, but adds a level of confidence and I do think helps my knees overall. Just gotta remember to wash em every now and then (wife loves that).
Sea Speed
AG
CC09LawAg said:

225 is usually my number to put on my belt for squat and deadlift. That is usually around my last warmup set so it lets me feel it out for comfort level and placement before I get into my working sets.

I don't want to mess with a working set because my belt was uncomfortable.

I've never used knee sleeves for squats. I've also thought about getting something for my shins on deadlifts. Any brand recommendations?

Same here. Force of habit to put it on at 2 plates. I use neoprene knee sleeves from the jump though, just because I like the warmth. My knees feel super cold without them.

On that note, I am not sure how someone could wear knee sleeves while deadlifting. I am 100% certain the bar would catch on them and be annoying, especially on heavy sets. My sleeves are thick neoprene though and not the super tight ones a lot of guys use.
Beau Holder
AG
Today's win: first OHP double at 185

For a monkey-armed terrible presser, I feel alright about it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Jealous! Nicely done. Now do 200.
Beau Holder
AG
Just pulled 615 for a triple (rep PR)

Wish TexAgs could share video. Everything is clicking right now.
10andBOUNCE
AG
At that weight are you pulling with any straps or still just whatever the grip allows you?

Speaking of videos, not sure if there would be any interest or if this is taking it too far, but I would entertain creating a small GroupMe or something similar beyond the message boards here. I don't have a very large gym related community with similar interests and when I move to my garage later this year, I'll be pretty isolated at that point. I have enjoyed getting tips from folks here and checking in on everyone's progress, etc.
Beau Holder
AG
I'd be down for that for sure. Text (particularly if everyone is iPhone), Instagram, or I could redownload GroupMe if necessary.

And to answer your Q I use straps over 500 right now because I'm trying to maximize the top number and don't want to mess with grip inhibiting it. I'd deal with hook if I were competing but not a concern right now. And mixed grip when I was young led to so many imbalances that I won't ever do it again.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'd be down
Sea Speed
AG
Whatsapp is so much better than groupme and I would totally be down for that as well. I've hit the ground running again and I am feeling great and I dont have a single person to talk to about weight lifting. I would like to get back in the 1k club.
10andBOUNCE
AG
If y'all want to email me at my username @ gmail with your cell phone I will probably get a group text started sometime this weekend with whomever is interested. Can figure out from there if text is fine or other apps are preferred. I really don't care personally.
Sea Speed
AG
There isn't much that can give you more motivation in the gym than getting checked out by a skinny big butt Brazilian chick. Told my wife it had me amped up and lifting extra good this afternoon.
Tex117
AG
Some of y'all are strong AF!

I finally… after many months…. Have my squat figured out… and healed up from a popped rib… everything is also going up right now and it feels awesome.
aggiegolfer03
AG
Never really done any sets or reps specifically as "lengthened partials", but after seeing some vids recently, decided to try them for my machine flys and pullovers (the 2 movements that make the most sense to me as the finish of those don't really hit the target muscle well and just add to general fatigue). Gotta say, I really like them on my machine flys. Nice stretch and really feels good as a last exercise on my chest/push days.
CC09LawAg
Just did my first workout of the final block for 5/3/1 Boring But Big 3 month challenge. Did my 3x5 on squats and then a 5x10 on deadlifts at 70% of my training max.

Couldn't do the 5x10 straight, had to do one extra catch up set to get my 50 total reps. That was pretty rough. Don't think I'm gonna have much left in the tank for accessory work this last few weeks.
10andBOUNCE
AG
CC09LawAg said:

5x10 on deadlifts at 70% of my training max.

That sounds pretty rough!
CC09LawAg
It was pretty rough. I have noticed that I am definitely more aware of my form after doing this many reps - I feel like I've managed to totally eliminate my lower back issues during this training block. The two things I've really focused on have been pushing more through my heel and making sure to open up my knees. I have a habit of letting the bar get too far away from my body.

I have also realized that I absolutely suck at high rep deadlift work unless I do it touch and go. I think it may be my conditioning. If I let it come to a dead stop between reps, I am absolutely gassed by the end.

The one I am dreading is squats - I will probably be taking 5 minute rests in between every one of those sets.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Deadlifts are no doubt cardio. At least I have convinced myself of that since I am also gassed on many of my sets.
10andBOUNCE
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

If y'all want to email me at my username @ gmail with your cell phone I will probably get a group text started sometime this weekend with whomever is interested. Can figure out from there if text is fine or other apps are preferred. I really don't care personally.
Reminder if any want to try and get a little group off line, happy to consolidate information and figure out a plan.
I know Beau, ttha, and Sea Speed you all mentioned being interested so far.
Sea Speed
AG
Emailed

On another note, its a foul day here in Southern Brazil, i need to peel myself out of my hotel room and go to the gym. And I have no motivation.
Farmer1906
AG
Motivation comes and goes. Be disciplined.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
email sent
Sea Speed
AG
Very valid. Thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.