Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

95,320 Views | 1418 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Tex117
CC09LawAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I will try to go narrower this week and see.

I experimented with a wider grip on bench the past few weeks and I sucked so I went back to what I've always done. Hit 275 for a single tonight, got 285 halfway up.
bam02
AG
I go narrower than most on OHP. I've dealt with frequent shoulder injuries and it's just more comfortable for me. Feels like it puts more emphasis on the anterior delta and minimizes what I feel in the rotator cuff area. It definitely limits the weight I can do, though. Trying to rehab and then "bulletproof" my shoulders and maybe then I'll widen my grip gradually.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I will try to go narrower this week and see.

I experimented with a wider grip on bench the past few weeks and I sucked so I went back to what I've always done. Hit 275 for a single tonight, got 285 halfway up.

Nice man!
aggiegolfer03
AG
Since getting a gym at home (dumbbells to 50's, power rack, and a multi-gym for all types of pulley work (Hoist V4)) one thing I've been experimenting with is agonist muscle supersets.

Finally found something for my back where I actually feel my back "failing" and a huge pump. Been supersetting a 3 exercise set of Pendlay Rows with standing pullovers and finishing with seated neural grip chest supported rows. 2 sets of the run and I'm nuked.

Overall fatigue finishes me on the rows more than my back or biceps then the lat isolation nukes me without me using my triceps too much to help (like I do when I do these fresh) and then the neutral grip rows I can use my biceps some to help my back, but only a little before it's finally my back that fails.
CC09LawAg
Nothing to add but that machine looks sweet!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Disclaimer up front is that my squat sucks and always has; progress for me has been painfully (sometimes literally) slow.

275 has always been some kind of mental barrier for me but last several months I have started feeling more confidence in my progress and form. Got 275 x 2 this morning and then went for a smooth solo at 285. 305 was always my long term goal so that looks to be within reach.

Anyone have any favorite supplemental work to squats? I keep it pretty simple when it comes to legs but getting the motivation to add another exercise or two.
Hoosegow
Reverse hypers
Glute Ham raises
Good mornings
bagger05
AG
Congrats! Always awesome to push through those barriers!
CC09LawAg
Hit my 1000 pound goal this week. 360 squat/275 bench/365 deadlift.

Never would've thought when I started this journey 17 months ago that it would've been possible. But with the right diet, program, and lifestyle changes it was surprisingly easy looking back.

Now I need to reassess and determine what my next goals will be.
BQRyno
AG
What were the most impactful changes you made - specifically lifestyle and diet - that helped you make that progress?
CC09LawAg
First and foremost, I cut out alcohol. That obviously impacted my quality of sleep and helped with weight loss. But overall I've only lost about 25 pounds since it hasn't really been my focus. I'm 6'2" and started around 250 and am around 224ish now.

I stuck to Stronglifts 5x5 and Madcow as written. I didn't try to get cute and change the programming and tinker like I used to do. I took a couple of months where I did some lighter/Hypertrophy style training when I was getting a little mental burnout, but I'm not sure if that advanced or hindered my goals. I just know I mentally needed a break from the 5x5 structure. I also tried to take a daily 30 minute walk where time allowed.

I listened to my body and deloaded when necessary to address lingering aches/pains and work on proper form. I am 36 and recovery isn't as easy as it used to be so I tried to take the long term approach with my training.

I aimed to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep and anywhere from .8 to 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight depending on how my body was feeling. Didn't really worry about fat and carbs, they kind of worked themselves out.

I tracked all of this in a spreadsheet so I could see what my running averages were for protein per day, average hours of sleep, average weekly strength gains per lift, etc. That helped me stay on track and keep a bigger picture view when I'd hit a 3 week rut and I could ask myself "ok, do I need to adjust my diet, sleep, or my workout?" Because inevitably you're doing something wrong if you aren't making gains at the beginner/beginner intermediate level it seems like.

I found an old workout from a decade ago and that was the strongest I had been previously - I was doing a 5x5 bench of 185, squat of 195, and sumo deadlift of 205. I say that to show I'm not some former power lifter recovering long lost muscle. I really think anyone can make some pretty drastic gains if they're disciplined and stick to these programs.
bam02
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Never would've thought when I started this journey 17 months ago that it would've been possible. But with the right diet, program, and lifestyle changes it was surprisingly easy looking back.

What do you mean? Should be obvious. 2000 lbs. is next!
CC09LawAg
Man, I wish! Maybe if I would've started this 10 years ago! I laugh because back then I thought dudes with belts who arched their backs on bench press were total dorks. Turns out I was the clueless one!

Deep down I know I should try to drop like 20 pounds to see my awesome muscles, but I hate dieting and one of my favorite parts of this journey so far is that I'm pretty much never hungry!
bam02
AG
I'm kidding. Not that I don't think you could do it, but I know that's a huge goal. Congratulations on hitting 1000!

Im 43 and I've been close but know my strongest days are almost surely behind me. Sucks to know but I keep
Trying to progress.
CC09LawAg
Oh no worries, I know!

Honestly, I know that hitting that level would require a lifestyle that I'm just not capable of with a career and a family. I've found a good groove where this takes me about 5 hours a week and I'm starting to try to get my kids involved so that slows the workouts down too, but well worth it.

I can't imagine the difference in going from 200 to 300 and from 400 to 500 on a lift.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Congrats! I'm hopefully close behind you on the 1k lb club.

Have you ever been to a powerlifting meet? Perhaps that's the next thing? I've always toyed with it but sucks thinking about doing it alone even though it is a solo sport I suppose.

Keep at it!
CC09LawAg
You'll get there!

And I haven't. It never really interested me before, and I'd imagine relative to my weight I'm not even close to impressive in that arena.

I've been following it a lot more on social media and some of those guys can move insane weight. Guys are out here squatting 1000 pounds, it's nuts!
Tex117
AG
bam02 said:

Im 43 and I've been close but know my strongest days are almost surely behind me. Sucks to know but I keep
Trying to progress.
Nah man! Unless you were some powerlifter (or reeealllly freakin strong when you were younger), there are plenty of >40 guys who are making some good progress and the strongest they have ever been. (Myself included).
PascalsWager
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Congratulations!
jtraggie99
AG
Tex117 said:

bam02 said:

Trying to progress.
Nah man! Unless you were some powerlifter (or reeealllly freakin strong when you were younger), there are plenty of >40 guys who are making some good progress and the strongest they have ever been. (Myself included).

I'm sort of one of those guys. I topped out at 580 squat, 565 deadlift (sumo), and 305 bench in a meet when I was 18 at around 210 lbs (and I'm 6'01"). I got away from lifting heavy and got more into yoga in the last decade. I've had off and on disc issues in my lower back and had hip surgery about 3 years ago to repair damage in my left hip joint.. I probably haven't squated close to 300 in 10-15 years.

I'll be 47 in November. Currently around 185 lbs. At my lowest, I was probably close to around 160 when I got divorced in 2015. I've started clawing my way back though. Since my now 14 year old son started going to the gym with my last spring, We've been doing the same type of workouts I started out on and did through high school years ago (outside of ramping up to actual meets). 4 day split with a focus on Bench, Squats, Deadlift (sumo), and Overhead press with accessory work. The big 4 cycle through a 7 week program, starting with 5-6 sets of 10 with weight continuously going up each set, down to singles and a new max in week 7. All the sets / weights are based off the 1 rep max. I did 300 for 3 on my last set of squats on Sunday, and it felt really good. I'll take whatever progress I can get. When I had hip surgery, the guy in charge of my rehab for my doctor told me never to do weighted squats to parallel or below again. As far as I know, I haven't damaged anything again yet

My goal is to get to 500 squat, 500 deadlift, and 350 bench before I'm 50. Who knows if I'll make it, but every day and week that I can keep going and don't have to take a break for some injury or other issue is a success.
Tex117
AG
jtraggie99 said:

Tex117 said:

bam02 said:

Trying to progress.

I'm sort of one of those guys. I topped out at 580 squat, 565 deadlift (sumo), and 305 bench in a meet when I was 18 at around 210 lbs (and I'm 6'01"). I got away from lifting heavy and got more into yoga in the last decade. I've had off and on disc issues in my lower back and had hip surgery about 3 years ago to repair damage in my left hip joint.. I probably haven't squated close to 300 in 10-15 years.

I'll be 47 in November. Currently around 185 lbs. At my lowest, I was probably close to around 160 when I got divorced in 2015. I've started clawing my way back though. Since my now 14 year old son started going to the gym with my last spring, We've been doing the same type of workouts I started out on and did through high school years ago (outside of ramping up to actual meets). 4 day split with a focus on Bench, Squats, Deadlift (sumo), and Overhead press with accessory work. The big 4 cycle through a 7 week program, starting with 5-6 sets of 10 with weight continuously going up each set, down to singles and a new max in week 7. All the sets / weights are based off the 1 rep max. I did 300 for 3 on my last set of squats on Sunday, and it felt really good. I'll take whatever progress I can get. When I had hip surgery, the guy in charge of my rehab for my doctor told me never to do weighted squats to parallel or below again. As far as I know, I haven't damaged anything again yet

My goal is to get to 500 squat, 500 deadlift, and 350 bench before I'm 50. Who knows if I'll make it, but every day and week that I can keep going and don't have to take a break for some injury or other issue is a success.
Dude, you definitely qualify as a one of those really strong guys! And yeah, your super heavy days are very likely over, but even getting into the ball park of those numbers is an awesome goal!
CC09LawAg
Possibly dumb, and probably inconsequential question but it's been bothering me.

Would you consider a dumbbell pullover a push or a pull exercise?
Farmer1906
AG
Pull
bam02
AG
Yeah that's mostly a lat exercise, right?
CC09LawAg
I usually feel it mostly in my upper chest and have always thought of it as a chest exercise, but yes it seems like lats are a big part of it. In my head I've always equated it to something like chest flys. Mechanically, I can talk myself into it being a push or pull.

Main reason I'm asking - as part of 5/3/1, you are supposed to work in 50-100 accessory reps of a push/pull exercise every workout. However, with it being a 4 day split, 2 days a week will be back to back.

So on OHP day, I am doing DB bench and pushups for accessory work. The next day I squat. So I need some push exercises that don't use my chest/shoulders/triceps since they'll be recovering and I want them fresh for my bench day. I'm kind of at a loss for how to program that, so hence thinking maybe DB pullovers could work in as that "push" exercise that is targeting some different muscle groups.
10andBOUNCE
AG
What is your full programming like? Not aware how to push without chest, triceps or shoulders ha ha.
CC09LawAg
Yeah, that is exactly my problem!

It's 531, so I am doing Sun - Squat, Tues - Bench, Thurs- DL, Sat - OHP.

On Bench day, I am doing seated DB Press and Lat raises for my push accessory, and on OHP day I'm doing DB bench and pushups for my push accessory. On deadlift day I am doing dips.

I could probably just skip doing a push exercise on squat day, which I tried this week, but my legs were so fried from doing squats and RDLs that I really need to work in something upper body. I did face pulls for my "pull" exercise since that isn't too taxing.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Man, I used to do 531 on a 4 day split and that was really brutal, at least for me. Just felt like I was always hit by a truck at the end of the week, ha ha. I always found that doing 531 on a 3 day split was more in my wheelhouse. Typically would pair DL and OHP on same day. However if I had a home gym and didn't have to drive, I would think about more frequent training.

Perhaps on squat day you dedicate some heavier core, carries and/or things like sled pulls? Perhaps working in some rotator cuff/shoulder stability work also.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I have a gym at my home and other than getting to workout at what might be odd times, the biggest advantage I've gotten to use is creative use of supersets.

2 of my favorites that would be an absolute pain in the ass at a commercial gym are for my legs and back.

I superset leg extensions and squats (goal here is to work a lot of reps close to failure on squats and it makes you emphasize the other muscles besides quads in the squat-all at a MUCH lower weight than straight sets). Usually one working set and I'm flat out toast and sore for 2-3 days.

Another I do for my back that I'd never be able to complete in a commercial gym is a superset of pendlay rows (bent over rows done off the ground), lat prayers (standing pullovers done with stiff arms), immediately followed by chest supported machine rows. I have ALWAYS had trouble feeling my lats/rhomboids on back exercises, and this little 3 exercise set forces my back to be what gives out, while I'm working additional reps close to failure on the machine rows. I'd be shot for tying up that equipment at a commercial gym. 2 working sets on a day I do 3-4 sets of pullups and maybe 2 working sets of deads, and I'm spent.

Granted I've been on a cut since February (recovering fat ass ), but I just can't find a good way to fit in more than push/pull/legs/rest/push/pull/rest in a week.
CC09LawAg
You've pretty much hit it on the head for me. I imagine I will end up in the same place you did with a 3 day split and combining DL and OHP. My shoulders are pretty weak, so I'm going to try to do it "as designed" for as long as I can.

And yeah, I was leaning towards maybe making squat day just a good day of solid core work and maybe just skipping a "push" exercise that day. I have zero doubt that I'll be getting plenty of volume on the other 3 days.
CC09LawAg
You may have mentioned this before - what are you using to do leg extensions at home?
aggiegolfer03
AG

This is the machine I have. So it's an attachment. the pad up top swings high or low and the starting position can be reset to go between leg extensions and seated leg curls.

I can have it set up for supported rows with cables off the press arms (those arms go back for pulling, picture is in a press position) and do lat prayers off the front. So one pin change and I go between the 2 back exercises.

(the one drawback to this thing is how you do incline or shoulders. the seat leans forward to give you the angle. I find this awkward AF and do everything for that with free weights).
CC09LawAg
Ah that's right, I remember you posting that now.

How much space does that take up? It seems to do a lot for a pretty small footprint.
10andBOUNCE
AG
One other thought is that typically push moves are prioritized more over pull, creating likely imbalances. You may have worked enough pull into your routine but always good to consider that balance.
aggiegolfer03
AG
We have ours in the corner of a 12x21' portable building with a commercial power rack on one end and it and a treadmill on that other, but it takes up like 4x4x7 as shown. I've got a couple feet to spare to be able to do off the ground work in front of the power rack.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.