Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

109,095 Views | 1544 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 10andBOUNCE
2girlsdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I do bench twice a week, and it's always after squats or deadlifts. One reason, the lower body lift has got my blood flowing, muscles stretched, and alert. But the other reason is a psychological one. I feel like, even though it's a different lift, I just lifted in the 400 lb range on either squat or deads, so 275 on bench seems more manageable. I have hit my PR's on bench only after squats or deads.
NoHo Hank
AG
Man, kudos to you for that, but dang, the idea of trying to do bench after squatting sounds terrible to me. Once I hit squat, I do a couple smaller moves with about a 75% and steadily decreasing effort until I eventually say screw it, good enough. After 3-4 working sets of squats or deads I'm just not interested in any other big movements.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm with the poster above... nothing wrong with benching after heavy compounds but it absolutely drains you and has a direct impact on your ability to move heavier weight. I can absolutely tell the difference both in weight and mentally when I am still sore in my lower body.

But if it feels comfortable to you, keep doing it! Just know that you're probably leaving weight on the table and if you goal is a heavier bench, I bet you might surprise yourself changing that order around.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think it is probably best to mix it up over time; never do the all same exercises in the same order.

That being said, I do typically bench or OHP prior to squats or DL. Between sets on upper body, I will typically do some kind of mobility work to prepare for the lower body movements.
2girlsdad
That's fair, and while I may be leaving something on the table, my bench is better now than it has ever been. Since I do low reps on deads and squats, I don't really feel fatigued when done. Plus, I get to chill and lay down on the bench!!
CC09LawAg
Question for fellow 5/3/1 lifters - when doing your AMRAP set, is there a certain "goal" you have in mind for what you should be getting?

For instance, on my 5 day I usually get about 7, on my 3 day I get 4 or 5, and on my 1 day I get 2, 3 if I am lucky. Does that mean I have my training max too high? Should I be knocking out 8+, 5+, and 3+ on those AMRAP sets? I haven't seen anything from my searches to indicate that if you aren't getting X amount of reps on your AMRAP set that you should lower your training max.
2girlsdad
On my 5 day, it's usually in the 8-10 reps range, 3 is 6-7reps, and 1 is in the 3-4 range.

I do find the calculator which determines your max on the 5 day reps is high by a good amount, but on the 1 day the calc is pretty darn close to what I feel my max is.
10andBOUNCE
AG
From what I understand its just kind of personal preference. I used to workout with a guy on 5/3/1 and he was of the mindset and pretty rigid that the AMRAP set needed to be about double or so. So typically 10+ on 5s week, 6+ on 3s and maybe 3 on 1s. For me personally, it depends on the lift.

My last few squat sessions had 6 on my 3s week and I aim for around 10 on my 5s week which I think feels right. OHP however I have been grinding out my exact 5 and 3 reps on those weeks without any additional reps (I may need to adjust downward but am really wanting to stay heavy and push myself). Bench is similar to squat day.

My only exception is deadlifts. I typically will not do an AMRAP above certain weights right now - I just don't want my quest for as many reps to get in the way of good form on such a critical lift. I am pretty comfortable pushing myself in the 315-335 range to bang out 8-10. On 3s this week I had my 365 and stopped at 3 and opted for a joker set of 3x385.

Also for me, I think by doing FSL, I am getting another working set in that targets volume and a weight to be more aggressive at with an AMRAP; that is at least how I view it.
CC09LawAg
Yeah, my concern is that I currently have my training max too high, and leaving an extra 2 or 3 reps out when you're doing 300+ can add up to quite a bit of volume over the course of the week and month. I did calculate my 1RM based off of where I left off with my 5RM from Madcow, and it seemed about right at the time.

I haven't failed any of my lifts yet, I've always gotten at least the prescribed 5, 3, or 1. I am thinking when I start my cut in February I might lower my training max by 10 or 20 pounds.

It is just hard because it feels like you're going "backwards" by doing that. But long term it's probably better to avoid burnout/injuries.
CC09LawAg
I agree on DL - once the weights get heavy, I am not going to do anything to compromise and potentially injure myself. When I'm done, I'm done. I'm cool pushing myself on squat and bench because I have the cage/safety arms to catch me.

That is a good point on FSL. And I suppose I could always program in an accessory lift like lunges or hamstring curls.
Beau Holder
AG
I feel like I should've been on this thread a lot sooner so commenting mostly to bookmark.

What are some power building programs aside from 5/3/1 that anyone here might do? I PR'd my deadlift at 640 last week but my goal for the year is at least 675, so I'm considering something like Ed Coan's peaking routine. But I also am finishing a bulk at around 225 and want to lean out slightly, so I need to keep my volume up at the same time.
2girlsdad
I'll let you know once I get my dL up another 150 lbs... 8-o
Beau Holder
AG
My bench has been stuck at 265 for actual years, so it evens out.
2girlsdad
Aha, so you have super long arms so the bar doesn't have to travel much for deads but a mile for bench.
Beau Holder
AG
Bingo. Guilty.

Here's the top of the 640 pull … not THAT low right?

2girlsdad
How do you like deadlifting in those pants? I lift at home so I wear compression shorts and knee sleeves (definitely wouldn't walk around like that in a commercial gym!).

Also, are those running shoes??
bam02
AG
To me having a goal is not an AMRAP. I know it can help you mentally, but it goes against the idea of AMRAP.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Beau Holder said:

Even after lifting for 20+ years, I still am amazed to see guys with a 1,400 total and only a 300lb bench. I know the why - much easier to add weight to your dead lifts and then squats than it is bench press, but it is still just crazy to me...

I am also a little bit of an anomaly with my bench though so my opinion is very skewed
Beau Holder
AG
No, they're Avancus. Designed powerlifting shoes, solid flat sole with ridiculous grip on the floor.

I always deadlift in pants or tights so I don't completely skin my shins. I don't think about it at all at this point, but I do wear shorts every other day usually. Squatting is one thing I hate doing in pants.
Beau Holder
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Beau Holder said:

Even after lifting for 20+ years, I still am amazed to see guys with a 1,400 total and only a 300lb bench. I know the why - much easier to add weight to your dead lifts and then squats than it is bench press, but it is still just crazy to me...

I am also a little bit of an anomaly with my bench though so my opinion is very skewed

I just wasn't built with the stubby arms and barrel chest that helps elite benchers. I work it every week just like squat, deadlift, and OHP but I just can't break the plateau. I've had prior AC joint issues from it so I also take it a bit slower, whereas with squat and DL I'm just like "if I die, I die"
CC09LawAg
You gotta upgrade those clips, I'm not sure I would trust those little things to hold up 600+ pounds
Farmer1906
AG
Geez. This is motivating. I can't have someone on the Astro thread that much stronger than me.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
AC or Distal Clavicle Osteolysis? I'm too familiar with the latter but that's what benching heavy weight does when you get into your late 30s. Hopefully it holds and lets me add that 5th wheel sometime early this year.
CC09LawAg
Do you compete? Or is this recreational?
Beau Holder
AG
Just for fun. I spent about five years hobbyist bodybuilding and then realized I hate how my body looks no matter what I do with it, so I started focusing on big numbers because they're unequivocal.

I may decide to do a competition sometime, but not until my bench is much better. For now my main goal this year is 675 DL at minimum and preferably 700 or close if I can get there.

I'm just an addict. Six days a week for 10-11 years and I just can't do otherwise.
Beau Holder
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

AC or Distal Clavicle Osteolysis? I'm too familiar with the latter but that's what benching heavy weight does when you get into your late 30s. Hopefully it holds and lets me add that 5th wheel sometime early this year.

You could be right, I never got formally diagnosed. It just sure felt like the AC. Took a couple months off of pressing and then built back up with a lower bar placement on my torso to relieve the pressure and it's mostly worked.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Beau Holder said:

with squat and DL I'm just like "if I die, I die"

Had to. May adopt this as my new DL motto. Added to list of garage gym decor to look for.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Geez. This is motivating. I can't have someone on the Astro thread that much stronger than me.

If I lift more than you, I automatically win all baseball disagreements.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

If I lift more than you, I automatically win all baseball disagreements.

When we factor in upper body I think we even out a little.

CC09LawAg
I'm going the opposite direction - I'm chasing numbers first and then I've told myself I'll switch over to focusing on "aesthetics".

I told myself when I get to where I can high bar squat 315 for 8 reps I'll be "as strong as I want to be". But then again, when I first started this about two years ago, I told myself I just wanted to bench 2 plates and squat 3 and once that happened I was like, "Well, maybe just a little more..."

But deep down I know I really just want to keep lifting heavy. We will see how long these old bones can keep up.
ttha_aggie_09
10andBOUNCE
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I hear hitting a trashcan is the new workout fad around Houston area gyms.
Beau Holder
AG
That's how it goes. I thought I'd be happy when I could deadlift six, squat five, and bench three. Now I know I won't be happy until it's more like eight, six, and … three. Or until I just can't anymore.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've never hit a goal and been like "cool! Guess I'm strong enough now". Most people that set goals like that, yourself included, aren't going to be happy there long. It'll just shift to, "if I can 365 for 8". Never ending but I love it!
Beau Holder
AG
That's a solid warmup, but for working sets it's more like curling trophies since there's one for each hand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.