Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

99,041 Views | 1444 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Sea Speed
CC09LawAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Definitely good perspective and spot on.

I just recently hit what I call my first "major" goal of a 1000 combined total - in reality, when I started a year and a half ago, I was hoping for much more modest numbers. But once the gains started coming, the goal went up, and up, and up.

Now I want to bench 315 and squat/DL 405. But I'm hitting the tipping point where it's bleeding over into my lifestyle more - I am having to be way more aware of my diet, my sleep, my programming, etc.

It sure is nice to see quantifiable confirmation that your programming is working when the lifts go up, but obviously that has to come to an end at some point, even if you do everything perfectly. I am expecting that sometime in 2024 I am going to have to sit down and really think about what is "next".
aggiegolfer03
AG
Just a reminder to those who weightlift....your strength will be there (ok, within a few months) when you pick it up again, but cutting for a WHOLE ****ING YEAR sucks ass...eat well even when you can't make it to the gym.

Signed, hungry AF old person.
CC09LawAg
Finally broke through on my overhead press. Been trying to get 147.5 for 5 reps since May!
bagger05
AG
OHP is always the slowest going for me, too. Congrats. On to 150!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Solid!
10andBOUNCE
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Finally broke through on my overhead press. Been trying to get 147.5 for 5 reps since May!

Must have had some good music on?
CC09LawAg
Hah, I wish it were that simple!

I've been working on my back way more so that may have helped. Also tried suicide grip for the first time, not sure how much that made a difference.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Hah, I wish it were that simple!

I've been working on my back way more so that may have helped. Also tried suicide grip for the first time, not sure how much that made a difference.
That seems...dangerous.

Are you using wrist wraps?
bigtruckguy3500
Suicide grip is much easier on my elbows and shoulders. I'm also not lifting crazy lethal weights.

bam02
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Suicide grip is much easier on my elbows and shoulders. I'm also not lifting crazy lethal weights.

Same. I've done it for years. It's technically more risky (I guess), but I feel safer because I feel more comfortable. I guess it allows a slight outward rotation of my wrists/shoulders that is better for me.
CC09LawAg
I don't do it on bench press, even at lighter weights it just hasn't ever felt comfortable. With overhead press, my reasoning is if I'm going to fail/bail, the weight is going to be in front of my body and I can push it away. May do some damage to my rack, but I think I'll be fine.

As bam alluded to, I think it puts my arms at a better angle to apply force.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I don't do it on bench press, even at lighter weights it just hasn't ever felt comfortable. With overhead press, my reasoning is if I'm going to fail/bail, the weight is going to be in front of my body and I can push it away. May do some damage to my rack, but I think I'll be fine.

As bam alluded to, I think it puts my arms at a better angle to apply force.
I guess whatever works and is comfortable.
bigtruckguy3500
Anyone have recommendations for jeans for people that squat and deadlift? My old wranglers are getting a bit tight. I tried some from old Navy that have some stretch in them, but they're also a bit snug. Also don't seem to be the best quality
bam02
AG
I bought several pairs of Levi's 541 a few years ago because they fit me well. Everything else is too big in the waist and tight in the legs and butt. They took some getting used to because they're kind of a skinny-jeans look with the tapered leg. Not a fan of that but haven't found anything better. George Strait Wranglers fit me pretty well, too.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've got a few pair of J Cody's that are stretchy and I love them. Stretchy jeans are an absolute must.
bagger05
AG
Levi's 541
CC09LawAg
I've been having this same issue.

I'm looking at these on their website - they really need to pick some more convincing models for me to be sold these are "athletic" fit.
Pahdz
I've got a few pairs of Mavi straight leg "Zach" jeans that I like and have some stretch. Didn't realize they also have an athletic fit "Steve" version.

I've also just come to the realization that I may need to just tailor a lot of stuff. I'm 5'9" 210 so finding anything that fits right is a *****.
True Anomaly
AG
Why jeans, just out of curiosity?
sanitariex
AG
I used to wear the slim fit form fitting style jeans, but with age and thicker thighs, I've switched to the relaxed fit and I'm never going back! So much more comfortable, and accommodates a guy that likes squats and deadlifts.
Farmer1906
AG
Have y'all tried Mugsy jeans? Pretty solid. I love their chinos.
Pantera
AG
True Anomaly said:

Why jeans, just out of curiosity?
I don't think they mean to squat or deadlift in per se, but they are looking for jeans that will fit a "thicker" bottom half if you will.

541s all the way, but they are a little snug in the calves if you are into wearing cowboy boots they sometimes look a little odd, but i don't mind
aggiegolfer03
AG
Duluth Ball Room Relaxed fit Jeans are the only ones I've ever worn that actually fit my "weightlifter" ass. They fit my profile without being super large on my calves like some other relaxed type jeans. Way less "plumber's crack" issues on these vs. any cut of levis or wranglers I've tried.
PascalsWager
AG
Thanks everyone who responded to my posts about my vegetarian diet. Even if the specific thing you said didn't help me, the engagement on this thread has helped me immensely
10andBOUNCE
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Anyone have recommendations for jeans for people that squat and deadlift? My old wranglers are getting a bit tight. I tried some from old Navy that have some stretch in them, but they're also a bit snug. Also don't seem to be the best quality

Always wanted to try Barbell Apparel jeans but those are about $100.
Tex117
AG
A question for the weight gainers.

When you are having to drop weight to work on form (my squat sucks, but it is definitely improving with overall mechanics), or otherwise have a bad session or two, do you need to cut back calories as to not have excessive weight gain?

I dont mind gaining weight when I know I'm putting on muscle, but Im not interested in just putting on fat.

CC09LawAg
Assuming you aren't doing a dirty bulk/gaining excessive weight and trying to only gain in the .5 to 1 pound a week range, I don't think I would cut back on the calories. You're ultimately still trying to force your body to make an adaptation as you improve your form.

Usually as my form improves, I notice that I am sore in places I wasn't previously because those muscles weren't being used as much - like on my squats, I notice the deeper I get, the more I feel soreness in my hip flexors until my body adjusts. Also, when I deload I typically try to do things like increase my time under tension by slowing down my reps to make up for the "loss" of lifting the heavier weight.

Not sure how much you plan to deload/how long it would take you to get back to where you are deloading from, but I would just keep an eye on it for about a month. I don't think you'll see much difference.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Assuming you aren't doing a dirty bulk/gaining excessive weight and trying to only gain in the .5 to 1 pound a week range, I don't think I would cut back on the calories. You're ultimately still trying to force your body to make an adaptation as you improve your form.

Usually as my form improves, I notice that I am sore in places I wasn't previously because those muscles weren't being used as much - like on my squats, I notice the deeper I get, the more I feel soreness in my hip flexors until my body adjusts. Also, when I deload I typically try to do things like increase my time under tension by slowing down my reps to make up for the "loss" of lifting the heavier weight.

Not sure how much you plan to deload/how long it would take you to get back to where you are deloading from, but I would just keep an eye on it for about a month. I don't think you'll see much difference.
Not a huge deload, I'm just working with a few concepts that I can't do under full load, but can about 20 pounds lighter. (work weight 240, drop to 225).

Been trying to stay in the .5 to 1 pound a week. Im right about there, but for some reason mentally I'm having trouble putting on more weight (im 6'5" now 223, up from 164 in November of last year). I tried to take my foot off the gas a bit, but I lost weight this week (about a pound), and all my lifts absolutely sucked yesterday.

Thanks for your input.

Im also just banged up due to my bad form on the squat. Bad outside knee pain, too horizontal of a back angle on the squat so my low back is getting pounded coupled with my considerably higher deadlift.

Its just weird. And I'm having a moment of frustration.
CC09LawAg
No worries, I've been there a time or two over the course of the past year and a half, I get where you're coming from.

When I feel like I'm hitting a wall with weight, both when trying to gain it or trying to lose it, I usually give myself a day to just totally go off the rails - like eat a whole large pizza for dinner type derail. I am sure there is some science behind it but it always seems to help me get off plateaus when I do that. Maybe it's just a mental thing, I don't know.

I'm not sure how closely you track your calorie intake, but if you're not gaining like you want to, you may want to consider adding something simple to your day. I've been drinking a half gallon of 2% milk every day as I'm trying to gain weight. I like that because I just add it on to my usual diet and it's a pretty easy, objective amount of calories/protein/carbs/fat to keep track of. And then when I want to lose again, I'll just drop that.

I had lower back pain with my squats for awhile, what helped me was changing my workout for a couple of months from my strict squat/bench/DL/OHP 5x5 style workouts and adding in some hyperextensions, RDLs, bulgarian split squats, and one leg deadlifts while also deloading the squat itself and focusing on form.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

No worries, I've been there a time or two over the course of the past year and a half, I get where you're coming from.

When I feel like I'm hitting a wall with weight, both when trying to gain it or trying to lose it, I usually give myself a day to just totally go off the rails - like eat a whole large pizza for dinner type derail. I am sure there is some science behind it but it always seems to help me get off plateaus when I do that. Maybe it's just a mental thing, I don't know.

I'm not sure how closely you track your calorie intake, but if you're not gaining like you want to, you may want to consider adding something simple to your day. I've been drinking a half gallon of 2% milk every day as I'm trying to gain weight. I like that because I just add it on to my usual diet and it's a pretty easy, objective amount of calories/protein/carbs/fat to keep track of. And then when I want to lose again, I'll just drop that.

I had lower back pain with my squats for awhile, what helped me was changing my workout for a couple of months from my strict squat/bench/DL/OHP 5x5 style workouts and adding in some hyperextensions, RDLs, bulgarian split squats, and one leg deadlifts while also deloading the squat itself and focusing on form.
Im not hitting a wall at all when it comes to putting ON weight. Im not even eating a whole heck of a lot (maybe 3,000--3200 calories a day), and Im still gaing weight at a clip. Its just taking me some getting used to in piloting a heavier stronger body.

I track my calories quite a bit. And no just about exactly what Im eating and the protien/calorie thing.

You still put on a little muscle mass while deloading your squat a bit? That's my issue. Its hard for me mentally to deload when I know Im still eating alot of calories and I feel like I'm not either (a) getting stronger or (b) putting on some muscle mass.

Ill probably take a somewhat light day on Sunday...hit it hard Tuesday.

Thanks for listening to me beetch.
CC09LawAg
Gotta take the long term approach - you will look back in 6 to 8 months and not even remember the deload.

Realistically, you are going to hit a point where it's going to be hard to add 5 or 10 pounds to your squat every month and you're going to have to start to experiment and learn what works for you and what doesn't. If it was a straight linear path, I'd already be squatting 400+. I'm having to learn to enjoy the journey, work around the setbacks, and listen to and understand my body.

I can't say that I worried much about adding muscle mass when deloading my squat because I knew that my ultimate goal was to keep adding to my squat no matter how long that took, and that fixing my form would work towards my long term goals and I didn't want to risk injury by being stubborn and continuing to stack weight while my back hurt.

It's a good time to put some focus on other lifts - try to focus on gains in your bench or deadlift and let the squat come along. It will catch up eventually.

ETA: I'm in a similar situation with my deadlift and it's really starting to piss me off. Feel like I've been stuck since May and that it's entirely because of my form. I should probably take my own advice but it's easier to give it out than it is to follow it haha
10andBOUNCE
AG
Anyone dealt with golfers elbow? This has flared up on me lately and not really sure where it came from and the lifts I do that irritate it seem to be random almost (I'm sure they aren't but I can't connect the dots).

Have watched SquatU videos on potential root causes being in the upper back shoulder and also how to "rehab" it but those aren't making sense to me at the moment.
bam02
AG
No but I had terrible debilitating tennis elbow about to us time last year to at went on for almost 6 months. Rest and PT didn't help. Nothing helped until I ordered a theraband flexbar and started using it regularly. Other posters here have had similar success.

I assume golfers elbow is also a tendinitis so I'd look into trying that and see if there are exercises for it.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks! Just added that to my Amazon list.

I recently got some of those Alpha Grip forearm strengthening deals, and try to use it a few nights a week while we're in front of the TV.
Pahdz
bam02 said:

No but I had terrible debilitating tennis elbow about to us time last year to at went on for almost 6 months. Rest and PT didn't help. Nothing helped until I ordered a theraband flexbar and started using it regularly. Other posters here have had similar success.

I assume golfers elbow is also a tendinitis so I'd look into trying that and see if there are exercises for it.

Fought tennis elbow in my right arm and golfer's elbow in my left this year. The Flexbar is legit get the blue one (if you're a fairly strong person) and the reverse Tyler stretch is what you use for golfers elbow.

I actually would do both moves on both arms and it helped.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.