Car dealerships REALLY suck.

39,578 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedata
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
please tell me the daughter's name is Takeuh
texsn95
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Reconditioning fee
Yup, Mac Haik Ford had something similar for about a grand. The salesman said he'd have to ask his manager but can usually get it removed...ya think?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Did a deal with Mac Haik via internet sales manager on a Lariat 4X4. He sent me the window sticker and it checked all the boxes - nav, 4x4, 36 gallon tank, no sunroof, etc.

Get to the dealership to do the deal. Everything was good. We drove the truck for a few miles around the neighborhood when I got there. Salesman was a good guy. Get to finance to do paperwork while they prep the truck for delivery - still had plastic on steering wheel, etc.

Paperwork is done and it's time to roll. Salesman and I get into the truck so he can connect my phone, show me how to use Bluetooth, navigation, etc., when all of a sudden the salesman is all like WTF - NOT AGAIN!

I was like - what?! Well, as it turns out, the window sticker was incorrect and the truck didn't have navigation. Said he had just gotten his ass chewed out the day prior by a customer for exact same thing happening on a mustang.

He goes to get Sales Manager involved to discuss what we can do. Sales Manager walks up to me and appears annoyed he has to talk to me. I was like, okay so now what? He points at the salesman and says it was he and my fault for not checking this during the test drive. Said we should have caught it then. I started getting grumpy. Asked him if I should have driven in 4-wheel drive or climbed under the truck to confirm it's got 4-wheel drive?? He just shrugged. Dealership was closed at this point, finance had left and I was alone without a way to get home. My wife grew up with Mac Haik's daughter so I flexed a little and we finally came to an agreement. I think nav was a $750 option so I had them double it and take it off the price of the truck. Had to go back up the next day to revise paperwork.

I occasionally check that sales manager's LinkedIn to see what he's up to and he's now selling home water filtration systems. I'm playing the long game here and hoping I run into that little cork soaker again some day.
Who the hell uses factory nav anymore? I figure ford packages that and sunroof to force prices up, and because boomers dont know how to use Carplay or android auto.

Just givin ya crap man
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Nobody does, however this was a handful of years ago, and not anytime recent. And that's why I was so hot on that truck - every other one I found with the options I wanted had a sunroof. Was frustrating!
CDUB98
AG
I use the nav in our cars about once or twice a year.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Who the hell uses factory nav anymore?
I use the factory Nav, because the car uses it to drive me.

Frees up my phone for my Texags.
CDUB98
AG
Yeah, but you're one of those good for nothing electricity users trying to put me out of business.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
CDUB98 said:

I use the nav in our cars about once or twice a year.

Phone or 99 dollar Garmin with lifetime maps if you don't want to be tracked more than we already are.
Guitarsoup
AG
CDUB98 said:

Yeah, but you're one of those good for nothing electricity users trying to put me out of business.

The electricity is made with NatGas, though.
Scud Runner
Quote:

I'm not shocked that dealerships are by and large unethical scumbags.

I AM shocked that so many consumers are indirectly fine with it by refusing to do anything about it or even support holding them accountable. Almost to the extent of goaltending for them. In no other trade is that mentality present.

Great thread! I hope you get the opportunity to bend them over. That being said, the fact that a lawyer is on here blasting the car dealership trade for being scummy and deceitful is obscenely ironic. I mean I'm with you and all, but let's be real.
Sea Speed
AG
Any update since last phone call?
07fta07
AG
This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine last weekend at the same dealership. I warned him about this and he assured me he had talked to them and they had the vehicle on the lot. Spoiler alert...they didn't. He now owns a Titan.
Post removed:
by user
Jack Cheese
AG
You are doing the Lord's work, sir.
Sea Speed
AG
/Sets reminder on calendar for July 19th
Jaydoug
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I agree. This method we chose to purchase car through dealers is bizarre. Why not have local service centers who sell you the car at a set price nationwide? Or at this point you order the car online and pick it up at the local service center and they get a cut? It all seems so outdated.
Now do realtors
Cassius
Outstanding!
AquaCasaAg
AG
Sounds like you need to get your boy in contact with Rendered Fat. He could have a full blown class action at this rate.
JSKolache
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I agree. This method we chose to purchase car through dealers is bizarre. Why not have local service centers who sell you the car at a set price nationwide? Or at this point you order the car online and pick it up at the local service center and they get a cut? It all seems so outdated.
Auto, insurance, and alcohol distribution are all regulated at the state level, which makes for very bizarre scenarios. And they all love it ... they employ armies of lobbyists and donate heavily to state and federal electeds to keep their structures intact.
Chewy
AG
Jaydoug said:

Now do realtors
Real estate actually has NUMEROUS options these days. Those that choose to use the old way are the fools.

Sure, the local MLS is still the listing hub but there's PLENTY of ways around the "standard" commission if you're willing to do a lot of the leg work yourself. The good realtors are totally okay with shaving the "standard" commission for smart sellers and buyers.
91AggieLawyer
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

The next week I had two days worth of work in Dallas and then I had to drive to California.

Week after that I had to go to Bangalore.
Week after that I had to go to Melbourne.

Totally worth it for me to not have to jack with it.

I wish you'd get out more.
Texasclipper
AG
I actually bought a car this week without any BS. Found an 15 Mazda3 for my son at Roger Beasely Mazda South Austin at a price below KBB. Their website also listed the cash drive out price. I contacted the dealer and verified the price was correct. So I drove there with full expectations of getting screwed over with fee add ons. It didn't happen. The price was correct with no add ons. The finance person didn't try to sell me any warranty's. No penalties for not financing with them.

A great experience.
MTTANK
AG
That means the car was recently pulled out of a lake, or there is about to be some turnover at that dealership.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Sounds good to me! I'm not in the service industry, so there's a long list we can rattle off!
mosdefn14
AG
Did Mr. Wormwood help you to check the gearbox for sawdust?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm searching....Matilda reference?
mosdefn14
AG
A single movie scene from 20+ years ago remains the lens through which I've viewed every automotive transaction since.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I don't think have even seen the movie. Just read the book probably 30 years ago. I have an exceptionally bright 4 year old named Matilda (although I'm reasonably certain not a telekinetic) and I can't wait to read that with her.
Sea Speed
AG
Less than a month away
Post removed:
by user
Ol_Ag_02
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I don't think have even seen the movie. Just read the book probably 30 years ago. I have an exceptionally bright 4 year old named Matilda (although I'm reasonably certain not a telekinetic) and I can't wait to read that with her.

Great name.
LPHA
AG
Less than a week away.
Buck Turgidson
Texasclipper said:

I actually bought a car this week without any BS. Found an 15 Mazda3 for my son at Roger Beasely Mazda South Austin at a price below KBB. Their website also listed the cash drive out price. I contacted the dealer and verified the price was correct. So I drove there with full expectations of getting screwed over with fee add ons. It didn't happen. The price was correct with no add ons. The finance person didn't try to sell me any warranty's. No penalties for not financing with them.

A great experience.
I too have had a pain-free experience like that. Purchased an Acura years ago from the dealer in the clear lake area. They had exactly the car I wanted at the lowest price (I checked several dealers), and there was no BS when I showed up to complete the purchase.

Had another similar experience a couple years ago buying from North Park Lincoln in San Antonio. Made the deal over the phone, and no nasty surprises when I got there.

Post removed:
by user
Sea Speed
AG
I will pledge not to look up the filing and id hope everyone else does the same because this is one saga that I truly want to see played out. Who is with me?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.