Car dealerships REALLY suck.

39,591 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedata
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a sellers market right now. Bad dealers are only going to act worse.
Aggieangler93
AG
Yes, sadly enough, we have all been through this kind of bull**** once! We all hope you sue em, and I sure as hell hope you win. I don't know how the really bad ones stay in business unless they are doing massive fleet sales or something. They seem to piss off so many people.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Mas89
AG
Mookie said:

Can we ask what dealer it was? Or a hint, like rhymes with deck and fasten?
Is that the dealership with the large glass windows in front?
agdaddy04
AG
I'd have stopped when she told you she couldn't take a deposit without you there. That's complete BS. When I was looking at a few vehicles out of state last year, they would've handled everything remotely. There were a couple of times I did put a deposit down over the phone to reserve it and the deposit showed the VIN.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Rendered Fat said:

I appreciate the advice. I'm a lawyer too so all I've got to lose is time (but admittedly don't practice consumer law). That being said, if this scenario isn't a DTPA violation, I don't know what is.

I don't disagree with that. And if you're a lawyer, then most of what I said is off the table for the simple fact that you don't have to try and find someone (and pay them).

I took on a car dealership once on contingency when I first opened my office. Regretted it. Then, I took on a few more later when I got the money upfront and a strongly worded engagement letter. All clients bailed within 6 months to a year and a half. I still got paid for my work but although I didn't mind civil cases that settled with my client being relatively happy, I hated doing ONLY discovery and pre-trail crap. I wouldn't have taken the cases had I known they were just going to die, whether I got paid or not. I had other stuff to keep me busy.

Later, I defended a couple of small car places, though they didn't do anything like this. One tried very hard to do things the "right way" but ended up going out of business. My only point in all this is that damages, even in a DTPA case, are tough to prove in these situations and USUALLY (not always) as high as the plaintiff thinks prior to filing suit.
91AggieLawyer
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I'd have stopped when she told you she couldn't take a deposit without you there. That's complete BS. When I was looking at a few vehicles out of state last year, they would've handled everything remotely. There were a couple of times I did put a deposit down over the phone to reserve it and the deposit showed the VIN.

At the very least, this is good advice for everyone going forward. The car dealership I worked at in freakin' 1987 took credit cards! Over the phone might have been a novel concept back then (I honestly don't recall but I don't think so) but trust me: we looked for ANY source of payment from anyone. If they're turning this down, there's another reason.
12th Man Ag
AG
Naveronski said:

This is why people buy from 1ags' and APT's friends, or Sewell.

Their "hookups" have great prices, but there's no hassle or wasted time.

Exactly. It probably isn't the absolutely lowest price, but I have purchased 7 vehicles from 1ags contact (well, I consider her my contact now). Total time spent buying 7 vehicles is less than 4 hours and I got really, really good pricing with zero crap.

If your parents will drive a Ford, you need to use her.
Pepper Brooks
AG
It's an error to think this suit will hit their pocketbook. The suit will be turned into their insurance company who will foot the defense(under a reservation of rights) and ultimately any settlement reached.

This sort of thing is already priced into underwriting models so it's just another blip on the radar for the dealership. I say this as someone who has handled the claims for the carrier and who is now an underwriter.

You'll do more damage getting after their reputation on any website you can leave a review. Post the text chain. Hit them on social media. Use your education and make an emotional argument to the public for why no one should buy cars from people who screw over old people.
Trucker 96
I'm a simpleton . I'd just **** up a bunch of cars on their lot
sts7049
AG
share the story with some local news outlets. maybe they'll pick it up.
AggieMainland
Dealerships are full of trash.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Quote:

Also, use email not texts and talk on the phone as well.

Once deal to agreed upon, draw up a simple contract and sign it. Have signature line available for sales rep and sales manager. Do not go to dealer without this in hand signed. I do this and never have a problem. The trick is to have terms agreeable by buyer and seller with the seller on the hook if vehicle is not available. Below is a sample of what I would write today:

Date

Agreement for Sale of 2011 Ford F-150 VIN: ABCD

Dealership name, hereafter identified as seller agrees to sell (Model year, model and VIN) vehicle to Joe Moe, hereafter identified as buyer.

This sale shall occur no later than (date here) here after identified as agreed date.

Buyer pays earnest money of $X to secure the vehicle. Seller agrees to not sell this vehicle until after agreed date. If buyer or agent of buyer does not appear in person by the agreed date, earnest money is forfeited and seller is under no obligation to honor sale of vehicle to buyer.

Seller to sell vehicle for the terms below:
Sales Price
Sales Tax (6.25%)
Title and License

If vehicle is not in agreed condition seller agrees to provide a substitute vehicle equal or greater than identified vehicle. Buyer may reject substitution and earnest money is returned.

If vehicle is not available for any reason, seller shall pay buyer back earnest money plus penalty of $x; pay for all travel expenses incurred by buyer or buyer's agent including mileage, meals, rental car and lodging. Buyer has option to obtain rental car at sellers direct expense.

Agreed

Buyer

Sales Rep

Sales Manager

Appendix:
Description of vehicle with condition. Include photos.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
If I'm a seller there is no way I'm agreeing to that contract.
Cromagnum
AG
Not sure what OP expects. The dealer can't sell you a vehicle they don't have, and isn't obligated to sell you one at the price you want. Sucks you wasted a lot of road time though.
TulaneAg
Cromagnum said:

Not sure what OP expects. The dealer can't sell you a vehicle they don't have, and isn't obligated to sell you one at the price you want. Sucks you wasted a lot of road time though.

That's what you got out of that story?
aggiedata
AG
They will claim it was a mistake. How do you prove it wasn't?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
mosdefn14
AG
Is the VIN# still showing for sale on their website?

Could 45 people today inquire via chat if it was available?
sts7049
AG
when i read that exchange, one thing i take from it is that you entered into the whole situation with expectations that were not in line with reality. you went into it with this idea you could easily just swap a bit of info over some texts and it was done. i'm not saying they have no fault in all of this, but you set yourself up super easy for failure here.
agdaddy04
AG
that is how it works with a lot of dealers these days
Jack Cheese
AG
sts7049 said:

when i read that exchange, one thing i take from it is that you entered into the whole situation with expectations that were not in line with reality. you went into it with this idea you could easily just swap a bit of info over some texts and it was done. i'm not saying they have no fault in all of this, but you set yourself up super easy for failure here.

You're probably right. But I think OP is wondering why we should have such different expectations for car dealers than any other kind of retailer. He was assuming that they were advertising an actual car that they intended in good faith to sell him.

I mean, if you call best buy and ask if they have any more of the 72" TVs in their ad, and they say "yes we'll set one aside for you for 24 hours", then you drive 2 hours to get there..... Only to find out they haven't had any for weeks, they just wanted to get you onto the sales floor for an opportunity to sell something else?? You'd be pissed.

But when a car dealer does it, everyone says "you screwed yourself for believing them".
Post removed:
by user
austinrb10
AG
Op, it should have raised flags with you when they didn't want to take a deposit. You should've had an executed bill of sale with the VIN, stock number, etc. You're aware the market is nuts for trucks, and they did nothing to secure a transaction with you. Nor did you with them.
Cromagnum
AG
TulaneAg said:

Cromagnum said:

That's what I get out of it when there is no VIN# mentioned. At minimum this should have been pulled to verify that a specific truck (or trucks) is physically on the lot.
sts7049
AG
Rendered Fat said:

sts7049 said:

See, I don't understand this line of thinking at all. They offered to sell me a new truck at a specific price, down to the penny. I accepted that offer and stood ready, willing and able to perform. That is the essence of a contract in Texas. How did I "set myself up for failure"?
because unfortunately, this is how the industry has operated for years if not decades. again, i'm not saying it's RIGHT, but it is the reality.

look, if you want to use your experience as a catalyst for change i'm all for it. this bullcrap needs to change. my gut tells me though that this isn't likely to go very far and you will not the the last one who gets burned and wants to do something about it.
Post removed:
by user
txyaloo
AG
Cromagnum said:

TulaneAg said:

Cromagnum said:

That's what I get out of it when there is no VIN# mentioned. At minimum this should have been pulled to verify that a specific truck (or trucks) is physically on the lot.
Effectively a VIN number was mentioned then the sales agent attached a link to the blue metallic truck on their website indicating that was the vehicle they were making a deal on. I would suspect their website lists VIN numbers
Trucker 96
Every car I've purchased in the past 20 years was ser up via email, followed by me coming in to take it for a quick spin and then sign papers. I have trouble finding fault with the OP. My mode is:

1) confirm vehicle details including VIN (they did provide this)
2) confirming "all-in, including TTL" price that includes a confirmation that there will be no surprises when I arrive. If there are, I make it clear there will be no deal
3) show up, take it for a quick spin to ensure there aren't any details about the vehicle overlooked or mis-documented in the information we've exchanged , and do paperwork

Now OP could have locked them down on 2) a little more, but he did at least attempt to by calling out add-ons and they confirmed the price was the price
Cromagnum
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Cromagnum said:

TulaneAg said:

Cromagnum said:

Of course they've canceled the link now, but the text that she sent me (that I alluded to above) was a hyperlink to a specific vehicle that had the VIN and stock number on the link. Thank God I had the foresight to screenshot the link before they deleted it. This wasn't for some arbitrary, pie in the sky truck. We had a deal on a specific unit. And I specifically asked her if the unit was on the lot and she replied "yes, it's here."

For the life of me, I cannot understand how some of you goaltend so hard for scumbag dealerships. It is utterly amazing.

Oh I'm not goaltending for dealerships and generally hate them too, especially used car dealers. I'm trying to understand what do you hope to accomplish with a lawsuit though? The situation sucks, but you are probably just making a bigger headache for yourself. At the end of the day, that dealer is still going to have a-hole managers, and you still won't have a truck from them.
Post removed:
by user
Trucker 96
I'm not going to talk you out of trying. I'm all for wronged customers making as much of a pest of themselves as possible. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but hopefully being a thorn in their provides at least a little motivation to clean up their act the next time.

Get after em!
Naveronski
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Cromagnum said:

TulaneAg said:

Cromagnum said:

Of course they've canceled the link now, but the text that she sent me (that I alluded to above) was a hyperlink to a specific vehicle that had the VIN and stock number on the link. Thank God I had the foresight to screenshot the link before they deleted it. This wasn't for some arbitrary, pie in the sky truck. We had a deal on a specific unit. And I specifically asked her if the unit was on the lot and she replied "yes, it's here."

For the life of me, I cannot understand how some of you goaltend so hard for scumbag dealerships. It is utterly amazing.

I'm skeptical if "she" even exists, or if it's a shell account used by several employees to market the dealership, and that's why you couldn't speak with her.
aggiedata
AG
Naveronski said:

I'm skeptical if "she" even exists, or if it's a shell account used by several employees to market the dealership, and that's why you couldn't speak with her.

I found her!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.