Car dealerships REALLY suck.

39,581 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiedata
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Allen Honda in BCS apparently charges a $1100 fee for getting a used car ready to sell.

They gave me a price that was mysteriously over a grand higher than it should have been and I questioned it.
Quote:

"We charge $1050 for our service dept to check on the vehicles and get them right. it is only mysterious if you are paying that without it been disclosed like other dealers hide in their sales price."

That's like picking out a shirt to buy for $50 and taking it to the register and having it ring up for $60. "Oh, that's the added fee for taking it out of the box, folding it and putting it on the little table."

What a ridiculous crock. Reconditioning work is legitimately baked into the price of used cars, but it isn't a flat $xx on every car. It depends on what needs to be repaired on the unit. $1100 to get each car lot-ready is ludicrous.
Redstone
AG
We were happy with two recent offers from CarMax.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Guitarsoup said:

Allen Honda in BCS apparently charges a $1100 fee for getting a used car ready to sell.

They gave me a price that was mysteriously over a grand higher than it should have been and I questioned it.
Quote:

"We charge $1050 for our service dept to check on the vehicles and get them right. it is only mysterious if you are paying that without it been disclosed like other dealers hide in their sales price."

That's like picking out a shirt to buy for $50 and taking it to the register and having it ring up for $60. "Oh, that's the added fee for taking it out of the box, folding it and putting it on the little table."

What a ridiculous crock. Reconditioning work is legitimately baked into the price of used cars, but it isn't a flat $xx on every car. It depends on what needs to be repaired on the unit. $1100 to get each car lot-ready is ludicrous.
Of course it is a crock. The only reason they have a $1100 fee for that is so they can advertise it for $1100 less than they otherwise could if they were being honest.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Reconditioning fee
HollywoodBQ
AG
Gilligan said:

aggiedata said:

Naveronski said:

I'm skeptical if "she" even exists, or if it's a shell account used by several employees to market the dealership, and that's why you couldn't speak with her.

I found her!

That's Barbara from Bangladeshi!
I usually get Nikki from OrAinge CownTee. How is dee weather in your area?
HollywoodBQ
AG
hypeiv said:

What I did about it was keep my cars longer and always try to go private party for purchases when I can.

It's really no skin off the dealerships back because they don't really like customers like me. They prefer people who say "get me the best truck you can for $500 a month".
Totally. When I bought my Jeep Wrangler last year, the Finance manager acted like he couldn't understand why I wouldn't take his promotional financing for a $1,000 discount off the sticker.

Um because it was going to cost me $6,000 more over the life of the loan than my 3% from my bank.

I'm betting most people don't look that closely at the paperwork. And we know schools sure as heck don't teach anybody how to read a contract.
HollywoodBQ
AG
After reading all the way through this thread, it seems to me like somebody should start an Automotive Board thread titled:

***** Official How to buy a Car *****

Sounds like we've collectively got plenty of what NOT to do experience.
12th Man Ag
AG
Take the $1000 and re-finance at your bank next week.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

hypeiv said:

What I did about it was keep my cars longer and always try to go private party for purchases when I can.

It's really no skin off the dealerships back because they don't really like customers like me. They prefer people who say "get me the best truck you can for $500 a month".
Totally. When I bought my Jeep Wrangler last year, the Finance manager acted like he couldn't understand why I wouldn't take his promotional financing for a $1,000 discount off the sticker.

Um because it was going to cost me $6,000 more over the life of the loan than my 3% from my bank.

I'm betting most people don't look that closely at the paperwork. And we know schools sure as heck don't teach anybody how to read a contract.

Yea you cost yourself $1000
Trucker 96
Maybe, but that's now a used car to a credit union which typically involves a higher interest rate, no? I feel like the $$$ left on the table in this situation is the guy that insists on paying cash when he could just pay it off in a month.
12th Man Ag
AG
Fore Left! said:

Maybe, but that's now a used car to a credit union which typically involves a higher interest rate, no? I feel like the $$$ left on the table in this situation is the guy that insists on paying cash when he could just pay it off in a month.

Not true. I have done this twice. Tell your bank what you are doing and I have never had an issue.
TSW2012
AG
Fore Left! said:

Not true, we have all done exactly what was described
Mookie
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

After reading all the way through this thread, it seems to me like somebody should start an Automotive Board thread titled:

I've thought about it before, but everyone thinks they have the best way to do it. It's like buying a house. You do not once every five or 8 years abs everyone thinks they're an expert. I don't want to deal with the endless corrections and "this is how I do it and it works every time" nonsense.

Every time I read on here about someone getting up and just walking out hurling expletives at the managers and then getting tracked down in the parking lot with all of their demands met I just cringe and die a little on the inside.
John Francis Donaghy
Mookie said:

Every time I read on here about someone getting up and just walking out hurling expletives at the managers and then getting tracked down in the parking lot with all of their demands met I just cringe and die a little on the inside.
Jack Cheese
AG
Mookie said:

HollywoodBQ said:

I've thought about it before, but everyone thinks they have the best way to do it. It's like buying a house. You do not once every five or 8 years abs everyone thinks they're an expert. I don't want to deal with the endless corrections and "this is how I do it and it works every time" nonsense.

60% of the time it works every time.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Fore Left! said:

Always always take the most off using the crappiest credit terms they got and refi or pay off cash. There's a reason they offer $1000 or more off.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I came to an agreement with a salesman at Covert Hutto....after about 2 hours of painful negotiations...they sent me to the back and the finance guy comes out and says Ford won't allow them to sell it because of national recall (lies).

Edited
They all are terrible! Carvana, dealerships, etc.
Jack Cheese
AG
Has carvana made money yet?
Guitarsoup
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Has carvana made money yet?
https://investors.carvana.com/news-releases/2021/05-06-2021-210701452

Looks like they were Q1 this year.

After a net loss of almost half a billion in 2020.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Should gone to TV. Covert sucks.
HollywoodBQ
AG
The next week I had two days worth of work in Dallas and then I had to drive to California.

Week after that I had to go to Bangalore.
Week after that I had to go to Melbourne.

Totally worth it for me to not have to jack with it.
ccolley68
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Should gone to TV. Covert sucks.

Didn't we have a Covert Hutto salesman on here for a while?

And I frequently watch a fishing show on YouTube called Sea Hunter. A guy named Rob Fordyce. He's based out of Florida, mostly fishes the Keys, and for some reason is sponsored by Covert Ford and I can't understand what the connection is.
dubi
AG
Fore Left! said:

Aggieland Credit Union considers it new for the 1st year. So just driving it off the lot does not make it a "used" car.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've had mostly good experiences buying cars, until I go to the back for the pushy extended warranty sales effort. At that point you're just ready to get home and don't want to hear it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I came to an agreement with a salesman at Covert Hutto....after about 2 hours of painful negotiations...they sent me to the back and the finance guy comes out and says Ford won't allow them to sell it because of national recall (lies).

Edited
They all are terrible! Carvana, dealerships, etc.
Careful, I heard they pack heat there.
Eliminatus
AG
Just commenting to watchlist.

Very informative all around. Count me as one of the great unwashed who just can't comprehend how and why this business model came be to be accepted. F'ing bizarre to me. And the near Stockholm on this very thread by a few is something I've also seen firsthand and again, absolutely baffling.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I agree. This method we chose to purchase car through dealers is bizarre. Why not have local service centers who sell you the car at a set price nationwide? Or at this point you order the car online and pick it up at the local service center and they get a cut? It all seems so outdated.
lotsofhp
AG
I don't understand how they've gotten so bad. There are plenty of dealerships out there. Usually the competition makes everyone be on their best behavior.

Maybe there isn't enough competition
Jack Cheese
AG
Even crappy dealers make money. Their franchise agreements guarantee a certain market area. The really good dealers make more money but they also have higher overhead because they hire and retain good people.

Don't forget that the public has a hand in this too. Everyone needs to feel like they got the best possible deal. There's a reason that "no haggle" dealerships are not the norm.
Post removed:
by user
EMY92
AG
They need to cover the time and travel involved due to the deceitful practice as well.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Rendered Fat said:

Soooo....got a call from their lawyer yesterday afternoon in response to my demand. He said they had two crew cab SLE's (in Robstown) that they'd let me choose from for $10,050 off of MSRP, plus TT&L. After a long, pregnant pause, my response was "so the original deal we contracted for to begin with"?

I told him that wasn't going to cut it as it didn't address any of the deceitful conduct they employed. He said "well, I'm not sure where we go from here." I told him that if his client wasn't going to take what they did seriously, then there was only one way this was going to go. We ended the call shortly thereafter. I'll keep you posted....

Well, I'm hooked now!

Keep us posted!
Burdizzo
AG
lotsofhp said:

I don't understand how they've gotten so bad. There are plenty of dealerships out there. Usually the competition makes everyone be on their best behavior.

Maybe there isn't enough competition

I can't speak for car dealers, but it has gone on in the ag industry. There has been a lot of consolidation as farmers retired, and market forces have encouraged farmers to buy larger but fewer tractors. Manufacturers like Deere, Case-IH, and AGCO have raised sales requirements that forced small dealers out of their networks to the point that large chains (ie. AgPro and their ilk) are now the point of sale for new tractors. You hear a lot of complaints from farmers how the prices have gone up, there is no negotiating on large sales like tractors, and the quality of service is crap.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Did a deal with Mac Haik via internet sales manager on a Lariat 4X4. He sent me the window sticker and it checked all the boxes - nav, 4x4, 36 gallon tank, no sunroof, etc.

Get to the dealership to do the deal. Everything was good. We drove the truck for a few miles around the neighborhood when I got there. Salesman was a good guy. Get to finance to do paperwork while they prep the truck for delivery - still had plastic on steering wheel, etc.

Paperwork is done and it's time to roll. Salesman and I get into the truck so he can connect my phone, show me how to use Bluetooth, navigation, etc., when all of a sudden the salesman is all like WTF - NOT AGAIN!

I was like - what?! Well, as it turns out, the window sticker was incorrect and the truck didn't have navigation. Said he had just gotten his ass chewed out the day prior by a customer for exact same thing happening on a mustang.

He goes to get Sales Manager involved to discuss what we can do. Sales Manager walks up to me and appears annoyed he has to talk to me. I was like, okay so now what? He points at the salesman and says it was he and my fault for not checking this during the test drive. Said we should have caught it then. I started getting grumpy. Asked him if I should have driven in 4-wheel drive or climbed under the truck to confirm it's got 4-wheel drive?? He just shrugged. Dealership was closed at this point, finance had left and I was alone without a way to get home. My wife grew up with Mac Haik's daughter so I flexed a little and we finally came to an agreement. I think nav was a $750 option so I had them double it and take it off the price of the truck. Had to go back up the next day to revise paperwork.

I occasionally check that sales manager's LinkedIn to see what he's up to and he's now selling home water filtration systems. I'm playing the long game here and hoping I run into that little cork soaker again some day.
Jack Cheese

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.